Best shooters for the PS2???...

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
Hey guys +gals....can anyone recommend the best shoot-em-ups for the US machine?.....i have just picked a minty ps2 with the network adaptor for a measly £30!!!!...also just purchased a 'Thor' toslink cable for it too...to hook into my a/v amp...i am Totally out of touch with quality titles for this machine!! :D
Thanks.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Hmm... you should have picked up an import system. You're missing out on some great shooters. I guess price dictated your purchase though. That's a good price.

US specific though, go straight for Gradius V and R-Type Final. Two very different games, but both excellent... and cheap! You're bound to like one of them if not both.

BIG

sony fanboy
Grab Castle of Shikigami II,while you're at it.

It's the poor man's ESP RaDe :glee:

B-

Neo Gold

BIG said:

B-
Is that available on U.S.....?..
Was there ever a raiden collection on the ps2??

BIG

sony fanboy
NEO GOLD said:
Is that available on U.S.....?..
Was there ever a raiden collection on the ps2??

Yes,it's available in the US. I have an extra copy,if you need one.

However,there isn't a Raiden Collection available for the PS2,but you can always buy the Raiden Project compilation (Raiden I and II) for the PSX.

B-

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Shienruy got released in the US and Europe as Steel Dragon EX, it contains the original and EX versions. The EU version has tate, dunno about the US one.

I love Shienruy, it's so... so... ...focussed.

Last edited:

Neo Gold

Takumaji said:
Shienruy got released in the US and Europe as Double Dragon EX, it contains the original and EX versions. The EU version has tate, dunno about the US one.

Would that be a difficult title to source ?....is it a vertical shooter?...i have never heard of that....is it similar to ikaruga?.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
NEO GOLD said:
Would that be a difficult title to source ?....is it a vertical shooter?...i have never heard of that....is it similar to ikaruga?.

Shienryu is a vert shmup released by Warashi in 1997, here's the KLOV listing for it:

Shienryu

KLOV brings it to the point, it's similar to the first two Raidens in many aspects, that's why I like it a lot.

The PS2 collection also contains Shienryu/Steel Dragon EX, a graphically enhanced horizontally aligned shmup with vertical scrolling, which is not too bad, but not as good as the original version IMO.

Don't know about availability, the EU version is all over the place, but it doesn't run at 60Hz so it's crap. I bought the JPN import, it's called "Simple 2000 Series Vol. 37: The Shooting - Double Shienryu" there. Last time I checked, Play Asia still had some left for $25.

Last edited:

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Yeah I have Gradius V,R-Type Final,and Shikigami no Shiro 2 for my US PS2. I wish we got a few more.

Neo Gold

Takumaji said:
Shienryu is a vert shmup released by Warashi in 1997, here's the KLOV listing for it:

Shienryu

KLOV brings it to the point, it's similar to the first two Raidens in many aspects, that's why I like it a lot.

The PS2 collection also contains Shienryu/Steel Dragon EX, a graphically enhanced horizontally aligned shmup with vertical scrolling, which is not too bad, but not as good as the original version IMO.

Don't know about availability, the EU version is all over the place, but it doesn't run at 60Hz so it's crap. I bought the JPN import, it's called "Simple 2000 Series Vol. 37: The Shooting - Double Shienryu" there. Last time I checked, Play Asia still had some left for $25.
Yes thanks a lot for the info & link takumaji....i have seen the simple 2000 pack...& it is a steel!....but what about converting my U.S. machine to run jap games??...sorry i am totally out of touch with the ps2 & its mods...is there a boot disc like on the dreamcast?...cheers .

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
No boot disc. You won't get it to run imports without at least a small modification. Forget the swap tricks, they suck and they're bad for your PS2.

You should get a mod chip. You could also buy a japanese PS2, but seeing as you're from the UK and that you may then want to import US games as well, a mod chip is the best solution.

subcons

NEO GOLD said:
Yes thanks a lot for the info & link takumaji....i have seen the simple 2000 pack...& it is a steel!....but what about converting my U.S. machine to run jap games??...sorry i am totally out of touch with the ps2 & its mods...is there a boot disc like on the dreamcast?...cheers .

It's not quite as easy as Dreamcast. There are some options though.

The obvious is a chip. It really is the best way for PS2 next to just owning a Japanese PS2. Boot disc route... you need some other device in conjunction with it due to the slide tray that the PS2 utilizes. One is a card of some sort. I don't know anything about this as I've never used it. Seems to work though, maybe someone else can point you towards info on that. The other way is a flip top. It's basically just a new case (just the top part) for your PS2 that you put on yourself. It's fairly easy to do and use, just kind of an annoyance if you play a lot of imports.

I finally got a JP PS2 and I'm glad I did. There really aren't that many games other than shooters that I play for PS2 any ways. I'd rather have access to all those than the few games that interest me state side that hold hardly any replay value to me.

Neo Gold

Witch is the best boot-chip kit....?...& where can i get one from??..is it as easy as fitting the bios chip-set to the neo-geo?...thanks.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
It is not as easy as modifying a Neo. It's much harder than installing a chip in an Xbox. Definitely the hardest console to mod (save for perhaps the GC, don't know about that shit).

subcons said:
The obvious is a chip. It really is the best way for PS2 next to just owning a Japanese PS2.

Well, not for our British friend here. The best option is a chip. A Japanese PS2 won't run US games!

Unless of course you want to play DDR games, in which case you'd need a real NTSC console...

Neo Gold

Kristian Meller said:
It is not as easy as modifying a Neo. It's much harder than installing a chip in an Xbox. Definitely the hardest console to mod (save for perhaps the GC, don't know about that shit).

Well, not for our British friend here. The best option is a chip. A Japanese PS2 won't run US games!

Unless of course you want to play DDR games, in which case you'd need a real NTSC console...
Nice one... so once i chip my U.S. ps2... i have best of both worlds!..
Btw...you learn something new every day.. i did not no a jap ps2 would NOT run U.S. games...

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
D'oh, I forgot you had a US console. Well, you COULD just get a JAP console then :p

Neo Gold

Kristian Meller said:
D'oh, I forgot you had a US console. Well, you COULD just get a JAP console then :p
Nah....i have too many machines as it is!!!....a chip mod is the way to go then?..

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
Well, even if it'd be nice to be able to run PAL games so you can pick up the occasional bargain at a B&M store, playing JAP and US games is what matters. You make the call yourself ;)

subcons

I say if you have the ability to chip it or you are willing to spend the money to get it done, go that route.

Otherwise, a flip-top works perfectly fine. Like I said, just kind of an annoyance using the boot disc with the way the system is built. It's just plain awkward.

Your call. Either way you go, you won't be disappointed with the new options you'll have availabe to you in quality shooter ports.

Neo Gold

Cheers for all the help here guys its most appreciated i can tell you....but surley there must be more quality shooters on this machine??...
Sorry for being such a dimwit when it comes to this machine....but when it was first released i bought one...& after 3-months or so i kicked it into touch...especially after the debicle that was 'streetfighter ex3'....!!! what a turd!!...i blanked the machine for years....only to return when i heard treasure were releasing gradius-v only on that machine!...so im here a little late..& with the advent of PS3?..never mind.

subcons

The exclusive Cave ports are the biggest draw for most of the shooter fans I think. DDP and Espgaluda are manic shmup masterpieces... reason enough for owning a PS2 capable of playing Japanese games alone IMO. Then there's the upcoming Mushihimesama which will no doubt be just as good. I'm also quite excited about Raiden. Even once PS3 releases, I'm sure there will be some quality shooter ports coming to PS2.

PS2 has just become the shooter system of choice, pretty much carrying the torch now that Dreamcast is fading.

barf

Maxima's Barber
BIG said:

B-

Got shiki2 for PC, i enjoyed it a lot (less than esp ra de for sure but heck it was fun) :)

For PS2 i d say get Gradius V, RType Final, Sylpheed (yes i like it) and gradius III+IV collection (classic 2D :) i like classic-style bosses in PIV)

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Takumaji said:
Shienruy got released in the US and Europe as Double Dragon EX, it contains the original and EX versions. The EU version has tate, dunno about the US one.

Double Dragon, is that right?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
:kekeke:

oops, no, 'course not, it's STEEL Dragon EX.

Freudian typo, sort of.

Neo Gold

Just come across a ps2 shooter by the name of XII stag.....is it good?....