MV-1A"X"?

GnarlyDan

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I got the 2 Motherboards i won on Ebay this morning and realised that the small MV-1A board i thought i bought, was actually a MV-1AX. Ive never heard of this revision before and checked Hard MVS and the like and can find no info on it at all. Anyone come across this board, or know any facts about it? It seems to have a soldered BIOS chip as opposed to the Socketed Bios the MV-1A has. Thats all i can notice so far. Hope you can cast some light on this.

Thanks in Advance.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
hm any pics?

actually says X on the board?

Sounds interesting.

GnarlyDan

Tarma's Gun Polisher
lithy said:
hm any pics?

actually says X on the board?

Sounds interesting.
Thats what i thought! The instructions and the box i got with it say MV-1A but the board actually says MV-1AX (?) The Serials match, but i guess swapping a little label from an Industry style Brown box and from the Mobo wouldn't of been hard for the seller to do. I'll take some pics tonight and throw them up on here. I just checked, and the Bios is DEFINATLY soldered on. Everything else apart from that, and the name on the Mobo, is the same as the MV-1A board.
Strange.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
GnarlyDan said:
Thats what i thought! The instructions and the box i got with it say MV-1A but the board actually says MV-1AX (?) The Serials match, but i guess swapping a little label from an Industry style Brown box and from the Mobo wouldn't of been hard for the seller to do. I'll take some pics tonight and throw them up on here. I just checked, and the Bios is DEFINATLY soldered on. Everything else apart from that, and the name on the Mobo, is the same as the MV-1A board.
Strange.

hm, the serial number thing is not the kind of thing I would suspect anyone would take time to do...but still, I'll just wait on the pics :)

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
This is nothing new, really. The existence of MV1A boards with soldered bios is known. I have one myself and yes, the code is MV1AX.

BTW, the fact that HardMVS doesn't mention it means nothing: the PCB list is not complete anyway, for instance no mention of the various 2-slot like the one with no memory card reader and headphone jacks.

Last edited:

GnarlyDan

Tarma's Gun Polisher
MKL said:
This is nothing new, really. The existence of MV1A boards with soldered bios is known. I have one myself and yes, the code is MV1AX.
*Sigh's at the possibility of owning a rare SNK item*
Does anyone have any info on the board? Memory Card possibities? Suppose the pics are a waste of time! I might look into Consolizing it when i gain more knowledge about Consolizing.

GnarlyDan

Tarma's Gun Polisher
MKL said:
BTW, the fact that HardMVS doesn't mention it means nothing: the PCB list is not complete anyway, for instance no mention of the various 2-slot like the one with no memory card reader and headphone jacks.
How many Boards are known to have been made? Are they any other sites offering info on all things MVS and the Boards?

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
No memory card support and of course the soldered bios means no easy unibios upgrade. Not the ideal board for consolization if you're a noob.

GnarlyDan

Tarma's Gun Polisher
MKL said:
No memory card support and of course the soldered bios means no easy unibios upgrade. Not the ideal board for consolization if you're a noob.
Ill stick with the MV-1F for main use in that case. Can the MV-1F accept a UniBios easily enough?
Could a socket be put into the MV-1AX to allow easy future upgrades from Bios to Bios?
Whats the best MVS Board in terms of all round Reliability and Features, the MV-2F?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Think this was a Irritating Maze Board

What's the MV listed on the Irritating Maze Board...?

What's this board call the MV what..?

I have a Irritating Maze Board but it's burried..

I'm pretty sure it has a soldered Bios chip too..

And I'm pretty sure it looks just like the MV-1A PCB

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
The only boards where the Irritating Maze would work are the MV-1B and the MV-1C, both with a SMD bios obviously soldered (SMD can't be socketed)

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
MKL said:
The only boards where the Irritating Maze would work are the MV-1B and the MV-1C, both with a SMD bios obviously soldered (SMD can't be socketed)

Cool..

I found the old info I had posted on the the Irritating Maze Kit/board.

IRRITATING MAZE KITS COMES WITH ..
NEO GEO 1 SLOT MV-1B MODIFIED TO WORK WITH TRACKBALL,INTERFACE PCB,CARTRIDGE,HARNESS, JAMMA HARNESS,SPEAKER HARNESS,CONTROL PANEL HARNESS,NEW TRACKBALL,BUTTONS,MARQUEE, OVERLAY,SIDE DECALS MANUALS

Irritating Maze Kit..

1 Slot MV-1B Modified to work with trackball,interface PCB
Cartridge Harness
Jamma Harness
Speaker Harness
Control Panel Harness
New Track Ball
Marquee
Overlay
Side Decals
Cartridge
Buttons
Manuals

IRR.jpg

I was just thinking that's what board GnarlyDan may have..

GnarlyDan

Tarma's Gun Polisher
chris1 said:
I was just thinking that's what board GnarlyDan may have..

My board says "MV-1AX" on the PCB. Is that the same? I guess it would be completly useless to me as i dont have the full Kit/Trackball. Thanks for the input guys. Do you know anywhere else i can get info on MVS Motherboards/Bios's other than HardMVS as im just starting out in the world of MVS and would like to get to know what im dealing with.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
GnarlyDan said:
My board says "MV-1AX" on the PCB. Is that the same? I guess it would be completly useless to me as i dont have the full Kit/Trackball. Thanks for the input guys. Do you know anywhere else i can get info on MVS Motherboards/Bios's other than HardMVS as im just starting out in the world of MVS and would like to get to know what im dealing with.

I'll look to see what the board says over the weekend and let you know(since it's buried)

Unless someone else knows.

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
MV-1B are much smaller than an MV-1A. It sounds like MV-1AX is just a slightly different version of the MV-1A board, with a socketed bios. MV-1FZ is basically the same as an MV-1A as well, just slightly different component locations.

Is the MV-1AX bios surface mounted or through the board like the regular DIP bios without a socket?

cheers,
-DT

GnarlyDan

Tarma's Gun Polisher
dogtoy said:
MV-1B are much smaller than an MV-1A. It sounds like MV-1AX is just a slightly different version of the MV-1A board, with a socketed bios. MV-1FZ is basically the same as an MV-1A as well, just slightly different component locations.

Is the MV-1AX bios surface mounted or through the board like the regular DIP bios without a socket?

cheers,
-DT
The MV-1AX is through the board from what i can see. Its soldered on with no socket. Its more than half the size of my MV-1F. It looks a really nice little compact board. I wonder if the "X" is something that Neo took from the PC AT"X" motherboard styles of that time (If it was around that time!) and this rubbed of on them to make a small factor board(?) I dont have a MV-1A board to compare it to, but the MV-1AX sure looks small.

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
GnarlyDan said:
The MV-1AX is through the board from what i can see. Its soldered on with no socket. Its more than half the size of my MV-1F. It looks a really nice little compact board. I wonder if the "X" is something that Neo took from the PC AT"X" motherboard styles of that time (If it was around that time!) and this rubbed of on them to make a small factor board(?) I dont have a MV-1A board to compare it to, but the MV-1AX sure looks small.

The MV-1A or MV-1FZ (same size) would look miniature next to an MV-1F, but they would also look almost giant next to an MV-1B or MV-1C. I enjoy the smallness of my MV-1A bc it's very portably and cheaper than an MV-1B or MV-1C.

MV-1B is about the size of an MVS cart horizontal, MV-1C is like a vertical MV-1B. MV-1A and MV-1FZ are just a wee bit larger than an MVS cart but enough bigger to make them say...not fit in a sega saturn shell for consolization. The dimensions are on hardmvs.

You could probably desolder that bios and put in a socket for uni-bios. As far as the X coming from atx, i'd say it's more likely just a designator meaning that there are some small hardware revisions to the MV-1A, but not enough to change the designator to MV-1B. THis board probably was manufactured after the MV-1A but before the MV-1B.

cheers,
-DT

GnarlyDan

Tarma's Gun Polisher
dogtoy said:
The MV-1A or MV-1FZ (same size) would look miniature next to an MV-1F, but they would also look almost giant next to an MV-1B or MV-1C. I enjoy the smallness of my MV-1A bc it's very portably and cheaper than an MV-1B or MV-1C.

MV-1B is about the size of an MVS cart horizontal, MV-1C is like a vertical MV-1B. MV-1A and MV-1FZ are just a wee bit larger than an MVS cart but enough bigger to make them say...not fit in a sega saturn shell for consolization. The dimensions are on hardmvs.

You could probably desolder that bios and put in a socket for uni-bios. As far as the X coming from atx, i'd say it's more likely just a designator meaning that there are some small hardware revisions to the MV-1A, but not enough to change the designator to MV-1B. THis board probably was manufactured after the MV-1A but before the MV-1B.

cheers,
-DT
Thanks for the input.
Do you think the MV-1AX will play ALL MVS Carts, or will they be compatability problems? I was thinking of modding my MV-1F with Unibois etc and using it as my "Main" Console Board and just keeping the MV-1AX Standard and Unmodded incase i should ever get a Cab. Is the MV-1F a good Board to use for my "Main" Board? In your opinion, whats the "Best" MVS Mobo for Consolised/Home use?

Last edited:

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
GnarlyDan said:
Thanks for the input.
Do you think the MV-1AX will play ALL MVS Carts, or will they be compatability problems? I was thinking of modding my MV-1F with Unibois etc and using it as my "Main" Console Board and just keeping the MV-1AX Standard and Unmodded incase i should ever get a Cab. Is the MV-1F a good Board to use for my "Main" Board? In your opinion, whats the "Best" MVS Mobo for Consolised/Home use?

Actually the MV-1AX would probably be better for a main mvs board. This is simply because MV-1A will play all MVS games (at least in my experience, i had no problems with rage of the dragons or svc chaos). Many people report problems with MV-1F on games like ROTD, SVC Chaos, KOF 2003, matrimelee.

I've never had an MV-1F so I can't say for sure. If you are comfortable with desoldering (see tiptonium's website for a good quick how-to) I'd put a socket in the MV-1AX and use it since it has all the features of the 1F except no joystick ports and probably better compatibility, plus it's smaller and more portable.

cheers,
-DT

GnarlyDan

Tarma's Gun Polisher
dogtoy said:
Actually the MV-1AX would probably be better for a main mvs board. This is simply because MV-1A will play all MVS games (at least in my experience, i had no problems with rage of the dragons or svc chaos). Many people report problems with MV-1F on games like ROTD, SVC Chaos, KOF 2003, matrimelee.

I've never had an MV-1F so I can't say for sure. If you are comfortable with desoldering (see tiptonium's website for a good quick how-to) I'd put a socket in the MV-1AX and use it since it has all the features of the 1F except no joystick ports and probably better compatibility, plus it's smaller and more portable.

cheers,
-DT
I might just do that. The MV-1AX is alot better in terms of Size. Will all the games work on the MV-1AX like they do on the MV-1A (Play almost every game)? Whats the site for tips on how to desolder the BIOS and insert a new one with a socket?
Thanks for Input :glee:

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
GnarlyDan said:
I might just do that. The MV-1AX is alot better in terms of Size. Will all the games work on the MV-1AX like they do on the MV-1A (Play almost every game)? Whats the site for tips on how to desolder the BIOS and insert a new one with a socket?
Thanks for Input :glee:

If MV-1AX is made after the MV-1A then it should definitely do everything the MV-1A could.

tiptonium's desoldering site http://www.tiptonium.com/neogeo/projects_desolder.htm

He says you probably won't need to use the bulb on the desoldering iron, but I always do, it goes a lot quicker. Also since there will be solder on both sides of your bios pins (probably, remember it's three layers not two) i always move the iron in a circular motion over the desoldering braid, then when I can tell the solder is melted (usually smoke or you can feel it because the pin will move) I release the bulb to suck all the solder into the braid.

If all goes well the braid will turn silver really quick and that it's it move on to the next pin.

Remember to always squeeze the bulb and hold it when you put it on the pin, don't squeeze it when it's on the pin already because you will shoot hot solder everywhere if you do.

cheers and good luck,
-DT

GnarlyDan

Tarma's Gun Polisher
dogtoy said:
If MV-1AX is made after the MV-1A then it should definitely do everything the MV-1A could.

tiptonium's desoldering site http://www.tiptonium.com/neogeo/projects_desolder.htm

He says you probably won't need to use the bulb on the desoldering iron, but I always do, it goes a lot quicker. Also since there will be solder on both sides of your bios pins (probably, remember it's three layers not two) i always move the iron in a circular motion over the desoldering braid, then when I can tell the solder is melted (usually smoke or you can feel it because the pin will move) I release the bulb to suck all the solder into the braid.

If all goes well the braid will turn silver really quick and that it's it move on to the next pin.

Remember to always squeeze the bulb and hold it when you put it on the pin, don't squeeze it when it's on the pin already because you will shoot hot solder everywhere if you do.

cheers and good luck,
-DT

VERY helpfull :buttrock:
Thanks

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
I picked up a MV-1AX board a few weeks ago with a unibios, but the bios wasn't installed. I finally was able to remove the original bios and put in a socket. I accidentally broke a couple of traces in the process and had to run a few wires to repair them. But the unibios is working fine now. My next project is to add stereo output.

GnarlyDan

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Black IcE said:
I picked up a MV-1AX board a few weeks ago with a unibios, but the bios wasn't installed. I finally was able to remove the original bios and put in a socket. I accidentally broke a couple of traces in the process and had to run a few wires to repair them. But the unibios is working fine now. My next project is to add stereo output.
Sounds interesting. Let me know how you got on with the Stereo Out.

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
I ran across a thread that shows how to get stereo out of an MV-1B board. The person drew up a schematic on the circuit and what to look for. I know the MV-1AX and MV-1B are a little different but I am pretty sure the same basic idea will apply. When I get it working, I will take some pictures and post them up.

MV-1A, MV-1B, MV-1FZ Stereo Mod Thread