IBARA

Akihabara

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Played Ibara today, new Cave shooter.
After AOU Expo I had great expectations of this game and they proved to be right.
Excellent game, great graphics and no slow down whatsoever.
If you have a chance to play this, do it now!

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Tell us more! I have to play this game. The art is wicked. How does it compare to Mushihime and Ketsui??

Akihabara

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
In that case...
I went out to check it again yesterday, actually quite a lot of people were looking at the game, it looks amazing!

BIG

sony fanboy
First impression of Ibara by Cthulhu at Shmups.

Here are a few first impressions of the game,according to Cthulhu at Shmups.com:

Thinking I would play a round or two of Mushihime-sama and whatever else happened to be around, I went up the local arcade tonite and... lo and behold, Ibara was there. Naturally, I dumped about $12 or so into it tonite. Very Happy

Okay, so, how is it? Well, my initial impressions were rather mixed, actually, but after a few plays, I really started to like it. The steampunk setting is a plus, the lovely 2D levels and enemies another plus, and the responsive controls another big plus. The minuses appeared quickly too, however.

The enemies use -lots- of long and thin bullets (you thought the giant bullets in Garegga were bad? Hah!), which got on my nerves (I never liked those things much), and the shrapnel... oh god, there is SO MUCH shrapnel in this game. It can be really, really hard to see what's going on in some of the levels simply because of the amount of crap flying around... yes, it really lets you "feel" the destruction you're causing, but I died way too many times from bullets that were partially obscured. Thankfully, the shrapnel problem is only present on the levels, and not on the bosses.

The powerup system is good, but it has a couple drawbacks: you get powerups for your main gun and then different types of "options" for the three gunpods that follow you around. When you stop firing, your movement aims the gunpods, which remain fixed when you're shooting. This is all fine. The variety of gunpods is nice, but the fact that there is at least one pod which is significantly weaker than the others - the machine gun - is a little annoying, since if you pick up an option it will replace one of the three you have; in effect, once you're past level 1 the machine gun is a power-down. Hrm. Also, why can't you pick which ship you want to be? Player 1 is the faster, weaker ship and player 2 is stronger and slower. I really don't understand why they fixed the ships to the players...

And yes, the biggest minus about the game is back from all of Raizing's other games... rank. Oh god is the rank system in Ibara vicious. Even the level 1 boss changes drastically depending on what your rank is - and it only goes downhill from there. This isn't bad if you're used to it, or if you don't mind rank systems (of course), but it drives me nuts. I managed to mash my way up to partway through level 4 before I simply found myself unable to cope with the amount of crap onscreen... there is -NO- way to 1CC this without mastering the rank system, and you can quote me on that. Wink

The level design is solid, if a little "ordinary" - you go through a factory level, an ocean level, a train level (gee, a train level in a shmup, who'da thunk it?), etc. They're all well designed and fun, but they're not exactly original. The bosses fare a bit better, as they're nice, funky steampunk planes (well, mostly planes) that have a nice variety of pretty weaponry to reduce you to cinders with. There's an oddly large amount of ground enemies - tanks and fixed structures (buildings and turrets) - I think you destroy way more of those things than enemy planes. It's not a bad thing, it's just a little odd.

Other random comments... ahh yes, the bombs. I like them, they're a mix between the "strategic" bombs a la Raizing and the "oh shit" bombs of Cave. They come out quickly and destroy bullets, which is good, but they don't last very long, nor do they cover much territory if you only have a partial bomb (this game uses the Raizing system of gathering lots of bomb icons to build up a single regular bomb icon, and you can use partial bombs). The wave motion cannon bomb that they made a big deal about at first is REALLY powerful, although it's hard to save up enough bomb icons to use it later. It stays onscreen for a while (it creates this cool red vortex and slit across the screen) and keeps damaging whatever is under it (a boss, hopefully) and destroying bullets that touch it. I don't know how much it affects your rank, but I'm guessing it drives it up quite a bit. Why? Everything else does. Wink

Ahh yes, one more little quip: the flamethrowers are really hard to see. They're not very bright and are partially transparent, so it's easy to overlook them in the middle of an intense firefight. One of the other people I watched play the game obliviously flew into a flamethrower shot too, so it wasn't just me.

Rundown:

Good stuff:

Steampunk theme
Flexible powerup system
Level & boss design
Control
Bomb system is balanced
Character designs (all the bosses are scantily clad cute female pilots Cool )

Bad stuff:

Evil, evil rank system
"Power down" machine gun options
Too much shrapnel
Slowdown is unpredictable (lots of slowdown in the train level, but not much against many of the bosses... where it might be helpful Laughing )
Enemy bullets can be hard to see (small bullets obscured by shrapnel and items, flamethrowers are too pale)
Did I mention the rank system?

It seems that years later, the Raizing crew (now under the auspices of Cave) still make the same type of games. Virutally all the good points and bad points of their old classics are revived here, making it a newer and prettier game that's easy to get used to (or easy to get fed up with for some, I'm sure). I might have talked a lot about negative things here, but that's because they're easier to discuss than the good points. (A whole thread about how the levels are good or how the bosses are fun would be pretty dull to read - and to write.) Ibara might be hard (really hard), and the rank in it might be really strict and hard to deal with, it's a damn fun game, and I'm glad it was made. I'll definitely feed some more money into next time I get the chance, and I'll start praying for a home version too.

B-

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Kiel does not like rank. :(

I'm sure I could get by that though given its made by my two favorite companies.

Grinwing

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Having finally played a cave shooter (Ketsui)... I now understand all the hipe!!

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Thank you BIG. I had no idea Raizing was behind this. COOL. Gonna check it out this weekend (when I get paid.) Mushihime just came to my 50 yen arcade right by my house. Can't wait for the ps2 port.

Ill6

Marked Wolf
Grinwing said:
Having finally played a cave shooter (Ketsui)... I now understand all the hipe!!

You should play some of the better Cave shooters. If you like Ketsui, you will LOVE those.

EvilMike

Guerilla Warrior
20 Year Member
Ill6 said:
You should play some of the better Cave shooters. If you like Ketsui, you will LOVE those.

Ketsui is great. I think the only cave shooter that really surpasses it is Guwange.

ord1000

Crazed MVS Addict
EvilMike said:
Ketsui is great. I think the only cave shooter that really surpasses it is Guwange.
Or Progear, and Esprade, or maybe the seminal Dodonpachi or how about the wonderful Mushihimisama. It is of course just down to personal taste, but i'm also from the school of thought that thinks Ketsui is over hyped and NOT Caves best.

I personally can not wait to play this game (Ibara) as i'm a big Raizing/8ing fan and this sounds like Battle Garegga II! :drool:

Last edited:

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
I finally saw some footage of Ibara and Raiden, needless to say that I am much more excited about Ibara than raiden!

ord1000

Crazed MVS Addict
YAHOOO! Ibara has arrived.:D (Unlike my Mushihime-samma :oh_no: )
dscf2274small1sx.jpg

dscf2275small5fu.jpg

dscf2276small5pb.jpg

dscf2277small7mq.jpg

Ok this is ANOTHER masterpiece from Cave. After playing it for a couple of hours and I can say that this is without a doubt THE most beautiful 2D shooter that i've ever played and I've played a lot. The design of the enemies are really something to behold.
Believe the hype this is hard. The action is very frantic the explosions a pyrotechnic delight. It IS Battle Garegga 2, but with a lot of Cave style bullet paterns. At first the bullets were quite tricky to make out amid all the debris, but you do get used to it and after an hour it just wasn't an issue. If I died it wasn't because of the dreaded invisible bullet syndrome, it was because i'm crap.
I think this game is fantastic, HOWEVER if you don't like Raizing's games, then I don't think I can really recommend it. Ibara is brutal, deep and hugely rewarding, but it is very Raizing and not like your typical Cave game at all. I think I can safely say that when I get round to reviewing this on Plasmablossom, it'll be a 9 going on for 10. :glee:

Kiel

20 Year Member
Would it be enjoyable to someone who is a huge Batrider fan but not such a big Garegga fan?

ord1000

Crazed MVS Addict
Right, i've been playing all evening now, and i fucking love this game! Medaling is important for high score, and the ranking is more prominant here (ala Garegga), than in Armed Police Batrider. However RFK at the shmups forum has 1cc'd it and he seemed to be playing for survival, rather than rank management, so it's not so impossibly tough as what some make it out to be. The hit box is smaller than Raizings games too.
I've gotten into the rhythm of the game now and can get up to level 3 in 2 lifes, so it's perfectly cool. The bosses are hard as nails though. It takes you back to the time when the player feared the bosses, and hey why not! They are the stars of the show!
Ibara is incredibly stunning to look at, feels great, with fast responsive controls, and the art design is simply unbelievable. Not since Guwange has a Cave game really gripped me in such a way. It's utterly sublime and comes highly recommeded.
Please note that as well as loving Cave to bits,I am also a VERY big Raizing fan. I know a lot of people can't get into Raizings stuff, and to them I would say try before you buy.

Kiel

20 Year Member
Just saw the videos, wow. :drool_2: