Neo-Geo Protos / NGH numbering system question

Orrimarrko

Kula's Candy
I've recently been reading a lot of posts regarding Neo protos and the unreleased games.

Mostly, I've been reading a lot of stuff posted by and about Billy Pitt.

(I have so many questions, I wouldn't even know where to begin...)

Anyway, I did notice a descrepancy between his list and the "Master List" here on this site.

On his list, he has:

Last Odyssey: Pinball Fantasia as #72, and Karate Ninja Sho(w) as #110.

On the Master list, they're reversed:

Last Odyssey: Pinball Fantasia as #(2)10, and Karate Ninja Sho(w) as #72.

So, I was just wondering if anyone knows which is correct?

Finally, I just wanted to say that I wasn't around here when all of the drama took place in the past, so I have no frame of reference to understand some of the history here.

If anyone who truly knows more about the history here and would care to share, I don't think that I would be the only one who would love to know!

Understanding the history of the Neo Community adds to the enjoyment of the hobby, in my opinion.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Steve

Last edited:

Orrimarrko

Kula's Candy
bump - hoping to get an answer (I know that some of you who can answer are on the board today...) ;)

thanks

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I would have to say that the Master List must have not been updated to reflect the confirmation of Last Odyssey's NGH number.

Billy has emulated screenshots, which he watermarked so he either A) has the rom or B) got the proto and since there wasn't a huge hullabaloo I'm leaning toward him just getting the rom. I'd ask again why he isn't sharing but I'll avoid starting more drama.

Although it is odd that Billy has not changed Last Odyssey to a named red cart on the main page (like the other confirmed protos are) so its possible that somehow he just got emulated screenshots without any other information, though in that case I don't think they should have his watermark on them.

In any case John (Geddon_jt) maintains this sites Master List while Billy (Supergun) obviously maintains his site, so they either need to touch base to straighten a couple things out (there are other discrepancies) or somehow they disagree on this issue.

Orrimarrko

Kula's Candy
lithy said:
I would have to say that the Master List must have not been updated to reflect the confirmation of Last Odyssey's NGH number.

I thought this might be the case, but didn't want to assume.

lithy said:
Billy has emulated screenshots, which he watermarked so he either A) has the rom or B) got the proto and since there wasn't a huge hullabaloo I'm leaning toward him just getting the rom. I'd ask again why he isn't sharing but I'll avoid starting more drama.

I could honestly care less about the "dumping" so others can play. I know this is a sore spot for some people, but honestly, I juts want to know what exists and what doesn't. The actual "playing" of the game is secondary to me.

lithy said:
Although it is odd that Billy has not changed Last Odyssey to a named red cart on the main page (like the other confirmed protos are) so its possible that somehow he just got emulated screenshots without any other information, though in that case I don't think they should have his watermark on them.

Good point.

lithy said:
In any case John (Geddon_jt) maintains this sites Master List while Billy (Supergun) obviously maintains his site, so they either need to touch base to straighten a couple things out (there are other discrepancies) or somehow they disagree on this issue.

Here here.

Thanks for the comments Lithy.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
The Master List VS The Game Code List

:eek_2:

This is a subject which I enjoy more then anyone and which I also happen to know quite well. It is a pleasure to reply!

You will notice that the list displayed on my site: http://www.neobitz.com/protos/games/pittlist.htm is appropraitely titled "neogeo game code list "WORKSHEET". This is because that IS what it is, a worksheet. The "grey areas" are of course the "missing" positions on the list. This is where the proto games reside. Over the years, we have discovered most of them and confirmed a few of them. However, even those that have been "confirmed" remain "grey" on purpose (on my list) simply to keep them with their appropraite "proto" (or unreleased) status.

As for the two lists having slight discrepencies in those grey areas...that is a matter of personal opinion. John Thacker (Geddon) built his list on the foundation of my own. I am only listed as a contributor of course but that is a historical fact. The truth is, John and I update and/or modify our lists only once in a while, but when we do we often don't see eye to eye on where the undiscovered (I should say unconfirmed) protos should be placed on the list. So as a result, there are differences between them.

Our good friend Xacrow could help clear up more then half of these grey areas, as he so happens to have access to the information, but sadly he does not care to help us with this. And we already tried asking him kindly several times. I even recently offerred him $1,000 cash JUST for those numbers! (2 minutes of his time) Again, he did not cooperate. Any other ideas?

:spock:
Regards,
Billy Pitt

Orrimarrko

Kula's Candy
SuperGun said:
:eek_2:

This is a subject which I enjoy more then anyone and which I also happen to know quite well. It is a pleasure to reply!

You will notice that the list displayed on my site: http://www.neobitz.com/protos/games/pittlist.htm is appropraitely titled "neogeo game code list "WORKSHEET". This is because that IS what it is, a worksheet. The "grey areas" are of course the "missing" positions on the list. This is where the proto games reside. Over the years, we have discovered most of them and confirmed a few of them. However, even those that have been "confirmed" remain "grey" on purpose (on my list) simply to keep them with their appropraite "proto" (or unreleased) status.

As for the two lists having slight discrepencies in those grey areas...that is a matter of personal opinion. John Thacker (Geddon) built his list on the foundation of my own. I am only listed as a contributor of course but that is a historical fact. The truth is, John and I update and/or modify our lists only once in a while, but when we do we often don't see eye to eye on where the undiscovered (I should say unconfirmed) protos should be placed on the list. So as a result, there are differences between them.

Our good friend Xacrow could help clear up more then half of these grey areas, as he so happens to have access to the information, but sadly he does not care to help us with this. And we already tried asking him kindly several times. I even recently offerred him $1,000 cash JUST for those numbers! (2 minutes of his time) Again, he did not cooperate. Any other ideas?

:spock:
Regards,
Billy Pitt

Who is Xacrow, and what about him makes him have the information? Former SNK employee, proto owner, etc?

I don't know why anyone would not want to offer information like that. Anyway games are one thing, but info is just info. Hmm...

Steve

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
maybe the guy could get in troubleif he released such information as from what ive read , any information on Neo Proto's is pretty scarce and allot of it couldve been kept away from the public for a reason u know?

im just throwing things out here :D

Last edited:

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Who is Xacrow?

lachlan said:
maybe the guy could get in troubleif he released such information as from what ive read , any information on Neo Proto's is pretty scarce and allot of it couldve been kept away from the public for a reason u know?

im just throwing things out here :D

Hey I appreciate you "throwing things out there". Reason being at least your trying to figure this guy and this situation out which is more then I can say for most of the slackers around here. The truth is however that the theory which suggests that Xacrow was a former SNK employee and/or that he came into possession of the protos which he has through such a source is flawed. How so?

Well when you get down to it, the only thing more important then what you don't know is what you DO know. And here is what we know as 100% INDISPUTABLE FACT so far in regards to Xacrow:

Xacrow lives in Japan and he is a "collector" of video games. His favorite seems to be the Sega systems such as the Mega Drive (Genesis) and Saturn. He has several protos for the Mega Drive as well by the way. He is a very well known figure in the Emulation community and has made several contributions to it over the years. He does have a record of "not sharing" and/or the reputation of being a "rom hoarder". This all serves to prove that his position on the neo-geo protos is not "isolated". The way in which he is handling them and the manner in which he is behaving is consistant with the past. Therefore it is NOT "unique" to the neogeo and should not be assumed as such by us.

Xacrow does not communicate very well in English, but he DOES understand and follows up every so often. He has done it on his websites in the past and lets face it, he acknowledged our thread here and the false use of his name as an account so he OBVIOUSLY had to have been able to understand English and/or has a contact who can translate for him. So this is without ANY doubt.

In the end, NO MATTER WHAT, Xacrow is simply a person no different then us. He walks, he talks, he eats, he shits, and at the end of the day, he goes to sleep. Therefore he can be driven by something, all of us are. So eventually we will find out what it is and when we do this will all go away. In the meantime, there are people who could help speed this process up but they remain uncooperative for now. This may change so keep watching.

Regards,
Billy Pitt

Robert Wallace

Sieger's Squire
lithy said:

lithy,

Regarding the 4 player Kizuna Encounter question, I believe "ResOglass" owned that PCB/ connector for the Kizuna Encounter game.

I remember he posted those pics a while back. Im sure he can post those pics again, or just do a search the pics are most likely in the old threads.