PDA

View Full Version : ART OF FIGHTING also on PlayStation 2

Sigma
06-23-2005, 03:10 PM
The hit series ART OF FIGHTING will be also adapted on the game console SONY PlayStation 2. The game will support the online mode like many others adaptations on SONY PlayStation 2 old glories SNK titles with an online mode.

At a few days of the first volume of the series FATAL FURY : MARK OF THE WOLVES in Japan SNK Playmore had add on the planning the hit series ART OF FIGHTING original name title RYUKO NO KEN

The game will be out in Japan in 2005.

SNK Playmore also indicated that LAST BLADE 1 & 2 and compilation OROCHI of KING OF FIGHTER ' 95, ' 96 and ' 97, will be out both this autumn in Japan.

Source : http://www.gamekult.com/

orochi_lubu
06-23-2005, 03:14 PM
i don't suppose you know when it will hit the states by chance?

thanks for the translations :)

neo_X7
06-23-2005, 03:38 PM
Is Art of Fighting going to be like RE-bout, or a collection disk?

Recap
06-23-2005, 03:42 PM
Is Art of Fighting going to be like RE-bout, or a collection disk?

It supposedly will be a collection with more than one title in series since it's part of the Neo-Geo Online Collection, but it hasn't been revealed yet. Samurai Spirits and World Heroes have also been "announced", as we have just reported at Insert Credit.

Mark of the Wolves
06-23-2005, 04:03 PM
So the game will be out in 2006. I never really liked Art of Fighting anyway.

tsukaesugi
06-23-2005, 05:35 PM
This would pave the way for other older, unported games to get released, which would be fantastic, but it sounds too good to be true.

I'll start to get excited once I see an official release date on the SNKP site.

Hecker
06-23-2005, 05:47 PM
:eek:

That's pretty hardcore.

YeldellGW
06-23-2005, 06:55 PM
i don't suppose you know when it will hit the states by chance?

If Vampire: Darkstalkers Collection is any indication, never. :mad_2:

KRONOS
06-23-2005, 07:31 PM
I'm gonna kick every guy in this town! :D

Recap
06-23-2005, 08:12 PM
This would pave the way for other older, unported games to get released, which would be fantastic, but it sounds too good to be true.

I'll start to get excited once I see an official release date on the SNKP site.

It's known thanks to an official announcement published by Nikkei. What else do you need?

Fygee
06-23-2005, 08:43 PM
I could see it being interesting for AOF 3, but I don't really find myself chopping at the bit to play AOF 1 or 2 online.

I'd be interested if they redid it in high-res and fixed many of the games' less than positive quirks, particularly AOF 2's absurd difficulty.

Violent Ryo
06-23-2005, 08:56 PM
Art of Fighting returns. Wow.

Its been 14 years since AOF made its debut as the biggest challenger to Street Fighter 2.

The First Ranbu. The first DM, actually. The first Taunt.

The first Dash. The first Visual Damage. The first Back Dash.

The first massive 'Fireball'. The first Zoom. The first Consuming Plot.

The first off the wall attack.

So many of these are the basic fundamentals of 2D fighting games now and have been.

And not to mention a hardCORE game and series.

The game that made the Neo Geo stand out so much more and made me fell in love with it. That and Sam Sho, but thats another story.

Everything about the game and series has been top quality. Gorgeous graphics. Beautiful colors. Top soundtrack. The incredible challenge.

And also we got the characters that we have grown to love and accept as an integral part of the SNK family of characters.

Its just euphoric for me to see an Art Of Fighting thread in the News forum.

I'm sure other AOF fans feel the same.

And now all three AOFs are coming/resurrecting for PS2. :buttrock: :drool:

Since this is so good, heres a treat. I'll have another one for page 2.

http://mercury.walagata.com/w/violentryo/artoffighting1280_ryo_robert.jpg

AOFerz, REJOICE.

Mark of the Wolves
06-23-2005, 08:57 PM
It's known thanks to an official announcement published by Nikkei. What else do you need?

SNK Playmore is releasing it so that date (rather time frame) will change, for the worse.

OrochiEddie
06-23-2005, 09:06 PM
well thats cool for those who like AOF. I think it's just too dated for my liking never had the feel SF did

LoneSage
06-23-2005, 09:23 PM
Violent_Ryo's getting me all misty-eyed and shit.

twodeepuzzler
06-23-2005, 10:05 PM
That's cool news. AOF 3 was always my favorite.

Although I can't really see this worth the purchase for me, the mvs versions are ridiciously cheap.

But hey, not bad for ps2 owners. In Japan, that is.

Now we just need an XBL version here.

In six years, when Playmore releases it.

k'_127
06-23-2005, 10:57 PM
great news. I still like playing AOF2 and it's one of my most favourite Neo games .... no shit.

Ryo and Robert were badass back then. their personalities went downhill since KOF.

now where are the SS and Real Bout collections?

NeoCverA
06-23-2005, 11:46 PM
I just hope that when this release fails, SNKP doesn't decide to stop the momentum. As much as I like this series, the mainstream will not fully appreciate it or give a damn how many "firsts" were introduced in this series.

Mike Shagohod
06-24-2005, 02:17 AM
I just hope that when this release fails, SNKP doesn't decide to stop the momentum. As much as I like this series, the mainstream will not fully appreciate it or give a damn how many "firsts" were introduced in this series.

Too true.

You'd think they'd release a complier of NAM-1975, Cyber Lip, Magician Lord, Sengoku, Sengoku 2, 8-MAN and Robo Army instead to get some classics out there. But whatever.

MERCENARY X99

neo>all
06-24-2005, 02:59 AM

Why do you suppose that is? I thought the series was ok. Aof1 was fun with the facial damage, bonus rounds, and zooming, which you rarely see in other 2d fighting games. Aof2 was way too damn difficult but was a hoot in 2player mode. Aof3 was great but underrated. The animation was my favorite part

SonGohan
06-24-2005, 03:15 AM
Looks like I'm going to have to buy a modded ps2 for these collections, as they probably won't see the light of day over here. Was anything said about extras?

Takumaji
06-24-2005, 04:02 AM
Excellent, excellent!!

I already have all AoF games on cart, CD and some ports (MD, etc.), but man, I'm really looking forward to this collection, I'm a big AoF fan, specially AoF3 is IMO one of the best fighters ever made.

About time they remember one of the pillars SNK rested on...

Great news indeed, I'm SO preordering that one.

kernow
06-24-2005, 04:04 AM
great news, coupled with the sticks, the import PS2 seems tastier and tastier

ken_dong
06-24-2005, 04:44 AM
aof2 is so stylish imo, but as regards gameplay I'd have to go with aof3 ^

lachlan
06-24-2005, 05:06 AM
yeah AOF is cool, dunno if id buy a PS2 port though...
id ratehr get the AES carts :tickled:

roker
06-24-2005, 05:16 AM
any word on if they'll have the arranged soundtracks for LB1/2 and AOF1/2/3?

I doubt it, but I'd be nice to have this included as the LB arranged soundtrack is beautiful

Kazuya_UK
06-24-2005, 05:34 AM
I would imagine the arranged soundtracks would be on there for sure... can't see why not. And yeah, the Last Blade arranged soundtrack is awesome! :D

Kaz

Atro
06-24-2005, 08:17 AM
I sence this is not great news for everyone...

:kekeke: :kekeke: :kekeke: :kekeke:

YeldellGW
06-24-2005, 09:25 AM
well thats cool for those who like AOF. I think it's just too dated for my liking never had the feel SF did

That's a good thing IMO. I hate the feel SF has.

I sence this is not great news for everyone...

Been awhile since I've watched wrestling, but to borrow a not so word for word quote, "Everyone can suck it!"

I'd rather see this than another collection for a certain overated fighting game franchise. :mad_2:

tsukaesugi
06-24-2005, 09:49 AM

What or who is Nikkei, for a start.

The Japanese stock exchange, Nikkei? Not sure why SNKP would publish it there instead of on their own site first.

Famitsu published a 'future release date' for a Gamecube Metal Slug 4 port, and that never ended up getting released... and Famitsu is the Bible when it comes to games.

If there's some other really authoritative Nikkei that I don't know about than I apologize, but in the meantime I'll wait until I see the actual AOF PS2 listing on the SNKP site before I do any celebrating.

dark_RYO
06-24-2005, 02:46 PM
If it's true, my dream will be realize :drool_2:

Kirk Foiden
06-24-2005, 03:21 PM
Now This is interesting. I'm kind of shocked they're bringing AOF back, even with ports. I guess the idea of bringing back KOF94 for the PS2 and Xbox (being it was never ported before) got them started with something. Would that mean that even the awesome FF Real Bout 2 may actually get a port?????

Violent Ryo
06-24-2005, 03:27 PM
If it's true, my dream will be realize :drool_2:

Shouldnt your dream be AOF 4?

:kekeke:

But yeah this is the next best thing. :loco:

RAINBOW PONY
06-24-2005, 08:10 PM
I don't know what the big hoopla is with all of these Ports, but then again I don't have any friends to play on the MVS either for Comp.

Is playing really old school Neo games online against someone actually good? I can't imagine popping in AOF1, and playing competitively with it online.

EVIL NICK
06-25-2005, 08:01 PM
I don't know what the big hoopla is with all of these Ports, but then again I don't have any friends to play on the MVS either for Comp.

Is playing really old school Neo games online against someone actually good? I can't imagine popping in AOF1, and playing competitively with it online.

I thought this would be a collection, AoF to AoF 3?

I wouldn't mind playing AoF 3 online.... ;)

RAINBOW PONY
06-25-2005, 08:05 PM
I thought this would be a collection, AoF to AoF 3?

I wouldn't mind playing AoF 3 online.... ;)

To showcase the leet Robert (<- A) into (-> A-A-C <-B)? :emb:

EVIL NICK
06-25-2005, 08:09 PM
To showcase the leet Robert (<- A) into (-> A-A-C <-B)? :emb:

I prefer the kid with the pelican... ;)

RAINBOW PONY
06-25-2005, 08:16 PM
I prefer the kid with the pelican... ;)

Thank god I don't remember most of the idiots from that game. :oh_no: I remember that machete wielding bitch, and Karman Chamele....Cole.

Yamazaki_RJ
06-25-2005, 09:21 PM
Great! I love the AoF series!!! The game where all chars had personality, before they turned in idiot clowns entering KOF. I just hope SNKP don't screw up it. :crying:

Can't wait to play all three games without loading times and with complete arranged soundtrack! A dream come true! :drool:

roker
06-25-2005, 10:03 PM
The game where all chars had personality, before they turned in idiot clowns entering KOF.

yeah, you could say the same for the Garou characters unfortunately

EVIL NICK
06-25-2005, 10:17 PM

Some of them are OK...

Like the Hwan brothers...

RAINBOW PONY
06-25-2005, 10:26 PM
Some of them are OK...

Like the Hwan brothers...

Are they brothers? One is Hwan, the other is Hoon...

EVIL NICK
06-25-2005, 10:33 PM
I think it's like middle names?

Can anyone clarify?

RAINBOW PONY
06-25-2005, 10:34 PM

Can anyone clarify?

Clarify? Okay, Hwan is the mom, Hoon is the dad. :blow_top:

dark_RYO
06-26-2005, 08:50 AM
Shouldnt your dream be AOF 4?
Yeah, I really want a AoF4, but unfortunately I think it won't be made... :crying:

Atro
06-26-2005, 09:34 AM
Yeah, I really want a AoF4, but unfortunately I think it won't be made... :crying:

Perhaps a 3D one may show up one day.

Playmore loves to milk old SNK glories to the very last drop of green.

Garland Russell
06-26-2005, 04:12 PM
They should also come up with a SS compilation(featuring 1-4).

Yamazaki_RJ
06-26-2005, 09:01 PM
Guess the Garou characters preserve some personality, like in the series (Terry living in Southtown, Andy training in Japan with Mai, Joe wanting media attention, Yamazaki working for those who can pay well, etc...). The AoF chars turned in comical chars, their endings are always jokes between them or with the AoF series. Sad.

Can anyone clarify?
JaeHoon and DongHwan are the names, and Kim is the family name. It's like the names are in Korea.

YeldellGW
06-27-2005, 12:35 AM
Guess the Garou characters preserve some personality, like in the series (Terry living in Southtown, Andy training in Japan with Mai, Joe wanting media attention, Yamazaki working for those who can pay well, etc...). The AoF chars turned in comical chars, their endings are always jokes between them or with the AoF series. Sad.

Been awhile since I played it, but I remember most of the AOF 2 endings were far from being serious endings.

I don't mind the comic stuff. Makes the characters more likable than the boring, badass Ryu types that everyone love flocking to.

Grandmaster-C
06-27-2005, 02:35 AM
Looks like I'm going to have to buy a modded ps2 for these collections, as they probably won't see the light of day over here.

Modding my PS2 was the first thing i do after i buy it, there's to much Games that will never be released in PAL Terretories...Result: Most of my Games are NTSC/JAP and NTSC US.

What AOF goes on, i only have the Genesis Port from Part 1 and the SNES Port from Part 2, i'm happy to become now (hopefully) real good Ports for PS2.

The Legendary LoneWolf
06-27-2005, 08:44 AM
Art of Fighting returns. Wow.

Its been 14 years since AOF made its debut as the biggest challenger to Street Fighter 2.

The First Ranbu. The first DM, actually. The first Taunt.

The first Dash. The first Visual Damage. The first Back Dash.

The first massive 'Fireball'. The first Zoom. The first Consuming Plot.

The first off the wall attack.

So many of these are the basic fundamentals of 2D fighting games now and have been.

And not to mention a hardCORE game and series.

The game that made the Neo Geo stand out so much more and made me fell in love with it. That and Sam Sho, but thats another story.

Everything about the game and series has been top quality. Gorgeous graphics. Beautiful colors. Top soundtrack. The incredible challenge.

And also we got the characters that we have grown to love and accept as an integral part of the SNK family of characters.

Its just euphoric for me to see an Art Of Fighting thread in the News forum.

I'm sure other AOF fans feel the same.

And now all three AOFs are coming/resurrecting for PS2. :buttrock: :drool:

Since this is so good, heres a treat. I'll have another one for page 2.

hang on didn't FF2 have back dash and forward and DM moves, also Kim in a a sense had the mutli hitting move in FF2, taunt as well FF2

SonGohan
06-27-2005, 08:52 AM
hang on didn't FF2 have back dash and forward and DM moves, also Kim in a a sense had the mutli hitting move in FF2, taunt as well FF2

Yes, however AOF came out first.

Lyte Edge
06-27-2005, 04:16 PM
Okay, so Garou: Mark of The Wolves will be out in just a few days. Is ANYTHING new supposed to be in the game? Arranged music (not the crappy DC arranged music, I mean REAL arranged music)? Redone backgrounds? Anything at all?

I'm really just hoping for the arranged music, since that's all the game really needs added to it (felt this way since 2000), and Samurai Spirits V did get an arranged soundtrack on PS2, so here's hoping...

Recap
06-27-2005, 07:29 PM
Okay, so Garou: Mark of The Wolves will be out in just a few days. Is ANYTHING new supposed to be in the game? Arranged music (not the crappy DC arranged music, I mean REAL arranged music)? Redone backgrounds? Anything at all?

Online mode and fake low resolution. Enough?

Lyte Edge
06-27-2005, 10:29 PM
Online mode and fake low resolution. Enough?

No. :(

Shawn Carr2o
06-28-2005, 12:42 AM
I played Art of Fighting at the arcade years ago. :) :cool:

Yamazaki_RJ
06-28-2005, 11:07 PM
Been awhile since I played it, but I remember most of the AOF 2 endings were far from being serious endings.

I don't mind the comic stuff. Makes the characters more likable than the boring, badass Ryu types that everyone love flocking to.

I didn't would mind if the comical stuff happen one time or two, but always, every year? Okay, most of the endings in AoF 2 were comical and the game is great, but the others two games have good, more "normal" storylines.
Being one of the most remembered old NeoGeo series, I think the AoF Team deserve more bit of respect.

Maybe things are changing with the 2k3 ending. Maybe Eiji attacked Takuma? Hmmm... I want more new AoF chars in the next games.

dark_RYO
06-29-2005, 10:41 AM
Being one of the most remembered old NeoGeo series, I think the AoF Team deserve more bit of respect.
Yes... more, much more...

JLoZeppelie
06-30-2005, 10:04 AM
Yes... more, much more...

You have totally right man, THIS GAME RULEZ, and for me, is much better than
overrated motv, and, i'm very happy the third episode is scheduled for Ps2.
VERY HAPPY ;) :mr_t: :tickled:

SPINMASTER X
07-03-2005, 08:07 AM
Wow, this is a shock. I wouldn't mind playing this online with a few mofos in here. I just don't understand why they are getting on this stuff so late. this shoulda been out like a year ago. Now the new systems are coming out and what does that spell for online play of old ps2 and xbox games when they are fully released?

p.s. I didn't know so many people disliked MOTW that much. Its hardly overrated though, the game's system is good and its fairly balanced.

SilverAngel
07-05-2005, 01:37 PM

!!!!!! :eek: Never really liked Art of Fighting??? Is that the whole series or just one?? If its just one then *mumblemumblegoesoffmumblinggrrrmumble* :p

Will it be out over here?

Violent Ryo
07-05-2005, 03:06 PM
!!!!!! :eek: Never really liked Art of Fighting??? Is that the whole series or just one?? If its just one then *mumblemumblegoesoffmumblinggrrrmumble* :p

Will it be out over here?

lmao...serioulsy, your post made me almost burst out in laughter at work...

But yeah, unfortunately, there are a lot of people who do not like this series or the games...but I think that has to do with the games' insane difficulty and obscure control scheme.

And plus a lot of people just couldnt get over Fatal Fury, which I believe is the most overrated series/game/set of characters in the SNK universe (among the SNK mainstream titles), while Art of Fighting is the most underrated series/games/set of characters from SNK (again, this is only among the mainstream titles).

I know I'm so gonna get hated for what I just said.

But just to piss off the FF fans even more....

Ryo > Terry

Takuma > Geese

Kim > Robert > Joe

Yuri > Mai

dark_RYO
07-05-2005, 03:20 PM

Ryo > Terry

Takuma > Geese

Kim > Robert > Joe

Yuri > Mai
Funny :lol: ... but I think it's better:

Ryo > Terry

Robert > Joe > Kim

King > Mary > Kasumi > Mai > Yuri

Geese >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Takuma

Frankfurt
07-05-2005, 07:50 PM
But yeah, unfortunately, there are a lot of people who do not like this series or the games...but I think that has to do with the games' insane difficulty and obscure control scheme.

It may be due to the piss-poor "gameplay" (and i use the term loosely). AOF1 is stiff, slow, and has AWFUL hit-detection (worse than SVC, even). AOF2 is fast but the hits have no feedback, and once again hit boxes suck. Both games also suffer from the fact there´s no real combo system, the move priorities are stupid, there´s no buffering or anything remotelly strategic or "deep" in their gameplay. There´s no high-level gameplay, because there´s nothing to learn at all. AOF3 is better, but the attempt at making something more realistic ended up creating a completelly repetitive, dull game.

The only reason people like AOF is for the nostalgic value (and i include myself in that). The gameplay is simply laughable, even worse than the worst Mortal Kombat. Outside of 1P mode, there´s no reason to play those games at all.

And... FF1 is just as bad as AOF1, but from FF2 on, every single FF games OWNS the whole AOF series for free. At least from FF2 on, you could actually have real versus matches.

If you disagree and thinks AOF has good gameplay, prove it. Show some interesting, solid match videos.

Superfamifreak
07-05-2005, 08:49 PM
The only reason people like AOF is for the nostalgic value (and i include myself in that). The gameplay is simply laughable, even worse than the worst Mortal Kombat.

Had to laugh at that! Nostaligia eh? I used to hate the game back in the day, but once I learned how to plat it, I like it a whole lot better.

As for people who complain it's too hard... Pussies :kekeke:

Also the endings are comical? Yeah, but only if you don't fight Geese. Anyone who has beaten him will know how the AoF2 story fits in the South Town timeline.

Azathoth
07-06-2005, 01:46 AM
Geese >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Takuma

Mr. Karate > Mr. Big > Geese

newhere
07-06-2005, 02:26 AM
Oswald>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mr.Big >>>>>>>>>Mr.Karate>Geese>Young Geese

:make_fac:

Oswald Rocks (i hope hes not broken).

RBjakeSpecial
07-06-2005, 03:33 AM
And... FF1 is just as bad as AOF1, but from FF2 on, every single FF games OWNS the whole AOF series for free. At least from FF2 on, you could actually have real versus matches.

If you disagree and thinks AOF has good gameplay, prove it. Show some interesting, solid match videos.

Ouch. That's just fucking stupid.
Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting are classics. They are good besides their nostaligic feel. Sure the gameplay isn't as deep as fighters now, but compared to Street Fighter it had a lot to offer. A cool super bar, taunts, charging, super moves etc.

FF1 is awesome too. 2 players agianst the computer.

This old game hate is uncalled for. Nobody needs to prove anything about AOFs gameplay. Everybody here has played the fuck out of it already. Make your own match videos.

Violent Ryo- I agree with you about a lot of things, but I feel Fatal Fury is the best neo geo fighting series with KoF right behind it.

barf
07-06-2005, 05:23 AM
I am sorry, but i cannot find any news of that on japanese pages...
the last nikkei bit of info for playmore is from yesterday about Mark Of The Wolves ps2 only... it s the first online collection game but they don t tell which will come next.
Anyway online is handled by KDDI network game system.

If it comes in the form of complete collection that will be nice, otherwise they should release it at a verry verry small price.

http://it.nikkei.co.jp/digital/news/index.aspx?ichiran=True&i=2005062307557ea&page=3

JLoZeppelie
07-06-2005, 06:46 AM
Had to laugh at that! Nostaligia eh? I used to hate the game back in the day, but once I learned how to plat it, I like it a whole lot better.

As for people who complain it's too hard... Pussies :kekeke:

Also the endings are comical? Yeah, but only if you don't fight Geese. Anyone who has beaten him will know how the AoF2 story fits in the South Town timeline.

I'm 100% with you...................

Violent Ryo
07-06-2005, 10:39 AM
snip

Yes I disagree. Even tho, you did make some correct observations, your argument is flawed mainly because all you are doing is comparing AOF to other games.

Pointing out whats wrong with the game is fine ( every game is flawed in some way or another and anyway I and nobody is saying said AOF has super fine tuned rock solid gameplay), but that judgement is based on all the other fighters we have played after AOF was released which is more than a decade's worth of fighting games.

This is something faulty many game reviewers do as well, which is making judgements, reviews based on what was good or bad in other games thus creating a not so evident bias which results in an unecessary critiques.

I play and love AOF because its AOF. Not because its like this game or that game. Its fun, fast, and intense. Very exhillarating to play. And the atomosphere and aesthetics and basically everything about the series appeals to me. And thats basically what matters, if you have FUN.

Yes, I love a combo system as much as everyone else does, but this is a game not based on combos like almost every other game out there.

To me its the ultimate poke game.

I don't really want to get into a big debate over if AOF is good to play or not, because that is mainly just opinion. I just feel your opinion is biased because its apparent you are judging AOF on fighting game staples that took 12+ years to become established.

And if you think there is nothing to learn? That is just plain stupid.

And just because I cannot provide AOF match videos doesn't mean anything either.

P.S. I can't really get in depth too much being at work and plus like I said, I don't really want to get into a big argument over this especially since other members have defended AOF well.

@RBJakeSpecial: Thats cool, man. I respect your opinion. I mean shit, look at Fatal Fury Special and the RB series. But you give props where it is due (to AOF as well) and thats the way it should be.

Azathoth
07-07-2005, 05:42 AM
It may be due to the piss-poor "gameplay" (and i use the term loosely).

I've got to agree with Frankfurt on this one, and that's coming from one of AoF's biggest fans.

Like movies, a well designed game stands the test of time regardless of it's release. AoF has loads of character, imagination, innovation, and can be a blast to play. If you've got any nostalgic attachment associated it seems even cooler. To say it's a well designed fighter is going out on a limb. The 1p mode is beyond limited and the boss characters used in versus mode seemed to be thrown in as an afterthought. It's a cool game, but the basic gameplay flaws it had in '92 are still present in '05.

Fatal Fury fares no better, but FF1 wasn't built to be a serious fighter. I'm assuming that SNK was following FF1's lead of "to hell with versus mode, concentrate on 1p story mode" when they made AoF and it shows. It wasn't until FF2 and AoF2 that they realized people wanted high quality versus competition to throw their quarters at.

That all may sound like "high-level" 7331 faggotry but its the truth. This is coming from a guy that owns 3 version of SVC:Chaos ;)

SilverAngel
07-08-2005, 01:28 PM
lmao...serioulsy, your post made me almost burst out in laughter at work...

And plus a lot of people just couldnt get over Fatal Fury, which I believe is the most overrated series/game/set of characters in the SNK universe (among the SNK mainstream titles), while Art of Fighting is the most underrated series/games/set of characters from SNK (again, this is only among the mainstream titles).

Ryo > Terry

Takuma > Geese

Kim > Robert > Joe

Yuri > Mai

Glad i can make people laugh :p Yes the game is very hard but once you get past that you get this feeling................ :glee: times 10

Couldnt you do this "ryo > Terry" with most games that are kinda all similar in a way???? Like "main guy in blah blah game > main guy in other blah blah game, main girl in blah blah game > main girl in other blah blah game and so on and so forth? :)

SPINMASTER X
07-08-2005, 01:59 PM
everybody thinks its so cool to "go against the grain" Fatal Fury was popular cuz the fuckin game WORKED, thats why. AOF was just all kinds of fucked up. Also the AOF characters were much wierder and obscure compared to Fatal Fury's cast.

It should be no suprise that FF was more popular and it wasn't overrated in any way.

Don't get me wrong. AOF was a nice game but come on lets not let silliness cloud your judgement. I love Ryo just as much as the next guy, hell outside of clark he's my best character in KOF but AOF was ridden with problems.

Sure I like Ryo waaaay more than Terry but we all know Fatal Fury > Art of Fighting.

Regardless Its gonna be UGLY when i get my hands on this game.

Godx29
07-10-2005, 08:58 AM
How much they're selling this game for? 50 cents? :kekeke:

Mark of the Wolves
07-10-2005, 10:18 AM

Ryo > Terry

Takuma > Geese

Kim > Robert > Joe

Yuri > Mai

...that's crazy. Terry is original while Ryo is just a Shoto clone. Geese is more hardcore than Takuma would ever be. Mr. Karate my ass. Yuri is certainly cooler than Mai just not as "hot."

Violent Ryo
07-10-2005, 05:09 PM
Calm the hell down.

What I said was just in fun.

If you knew anything, Ryo and Robert were the original designs for Ryu and Ken for SFII but Capcom rejected them and after more disagreements with the character designer for SFII, he left Capcom and came to SNK to make AOF with the original designs.

'Shoto clone' my ass, this time and time again reiterating cliche is really old by now, k thx.

To add, Terry being the strongest fighter in KOF and Southtown, Ryo is the only one that can actually compete with him and have possiblities of winning in a one on one match.

They are pretty even IMO, but SNK also feels that way since Ryo is supposed to be Terry's biggest friendly rival anyway.

And about Takuma, he is the only one that holds back his true potential and power and still kicks ass, and thats saying something since none of the fighters in KOF, FF or AOF do this. You don't need to be evil to be hardcore.

Mark of the Wolves
07-10-2005, 05:41 PM
Calm the hell down.

What I said was just in fun.

If you knew anything, Ryo and Robert were the original designs for Ryu and Ken for SFII but Capcom rejected them and after more disagreements with the character designer for SFII, he left Capcom and came to SNK to make AOF with the original designs.

'Shoto clone' my ass, this time and time again reiterating cliche is really old by now, k thx.

I was actually just kidding as well...but SFII coming out in '91 and AoF coming out in '92 is enough for me. No matter what happened behind the scenes.

JLoZeppelie
07-12-2005, 08:02 AM
I really hope the Ps2 version of AOF coming very soon man :buttrock:

Violent Ryo
03-16-2006, 02:22 AM
http://image.www.rakuten.co.jp/edigi-game/img10072039852.jpeg

Found here.. (http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-1rpn-71-40-49-en-15-ryuuko-84-j-70-16t0.html)

Oh yes.... hardcore cover-art for a hardcore series.

Very fitting and bad ass.

This is probably gonna be the coolest import for me yet.

Pre-ordered!! :buttrock:

J0e Musashi
03-16-2006, 03:55 AM
http://image.www.rakuten.co.jp/edigi-game/img10072039852.jpeg

Found here.. (http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-1rpn-71-40-49-en-15-ryuuko-84-j-70-16t0.html)

Oh yes....a hardcover cover art for a hardcore series.

Very fitting and bad ass.

This is probably gonna be the coolest import for me yet.

Pre-ordered!! :buttrock:

The coolest import for you yet? What ever? For real?
lol. :spock:

Violent Ryo
03-16-2006, 03:59 AM
Yes, for ME.

Being a die hard AOF fan, it doesnt really get better than this these days.

However, KOF XI isnt released yet so this is going to be the coolest import for me so far.

I see you are back on my cawk again. :rolleyes:

Takumaji
03-16-2006, 08:41 AM
p.s. to the MOTW haters that like aof, you people dont know fighting games.

I don't hate MotW, but I'd prefer AoF3 over it any day of the week.

Does that make me dumb in your eyes?

IMO it's the other way around, those who bash on the AoF series have no idea of what they're missing out.

And some clearly haven't played the AoF games thoroughly enough, this what some call "stiff gameplay" sometimes is just a consequence of their inability to go with the engine.

Stiff my ass, even the first AoF flows quite nicely if you know what to do.

AoF haters these days... :oh_no:

cafu1982
03-16-2006, 10:17 AM
Im probably in the minority here but the AOF and WH are my favorite series on the Neo.

I can remember plugging away for hours with AOF2 & WH2 back in the day and I still bust them out every now and again on my dusty old AES.

Mostly I play PS2 these days, so I will be picking this up. But I'm concerned about the LB ports, since they were apparently poor. I hope someone can post a review of the PS2 AOF collection once they become available on torrent.

Tehcno
03-16-2006, 11:39 AM
I'd be interested if they redid it in high-res and fixed many of the games' less than positive quirks, particularly AOF 2's absurd difficulty.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only other person that thinks that AOF2 is incredably hard. I've wanted to break things while playing that game.

genjuro1
03-16-2006, 06:32 PM
Im probably in the minority here but the AOF and WH are my favorite series on the Neo.

I can remember plugging away for hours with AOF2 & WH2 back in the day and I still bust them out every now and again on my dusty old AES.

Mostly I play PS2 these days, so I will be picking this up. But I'm concerned about the LB ports, since they were apparently poor. I hope someone can post a review of the PS2 AOF collection once they become available on torrent.

Yeah, I hope (if they go the emulation route again) that they get the games to run correctly this time. Everybody here, and elsewhere said the Last Blade games didn't run right on the PS2.

Oh yeah, AOF 2 is IMO the only good game in the series. Hard as hell though.

YeldellGW
03-16-2006, 10:59 PM
...that's crazy. Terry is original while Ryo is just a Shoto clone. Geese is more hardcore than Takuma would ever be. Mr. Karate my ass. Yuri is certainly cooler than Mai just not as "hot."

Shoto clones can be fun, much as I hate to admit it.

That's what separates Ryo, Robert, Takuma, Dan and Sean prior to his 3rd Strike basdardization from Ryu, Ken and Akuma. I only found Ryu fun when Capcom gave him an additional special that I use more than his original three.

Meh, never been too impressed with Geese. Between getting around those stupid projectiles and counters, I find him boring to fight against.

I don't hate MotW, but I'd prefer AoF3 over it any day of the week.

Can't stand MOTW myself, yet I love SF III; well New Generation and 2nd Impact anyway.

FF series fun factor seem to drop considerably after RBS.

AoF haters these days... :oh_no:

I'm reminded of a saying. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Some will never change their opions on something they don't like. With fighters nowadays it's all about combos, combos, combos...

I'm reminded why I enjoyed games like AOF, SS, Vampire, etc. as much as I do.

Nothing to be ashamed of. I played the hell out of those games myself. Think I'll fire up some AOF this weekend once I'm done with KOF 01, LB and Double Dragon.

SouthtownKid
03-17-2006, 02:21 AM
very good points, i cant understand how people can bash MOTW and like AOF, cmon man you people serious? and fatal fury got good after 2, in special. ff2 was still a weak game, mainly cause theres no combos in the game, no 2 in 1s or anything. aof on the other hand really has nothing to offer besides big, good looking sprites. yes thats all really. i know how to play the game, i can finish any aof on any level in 1cc, at least i could some time ago. the game doesnt really get any better despite this. people this aint 3s where talkin bout damnit, its aof, one of the weakest games series on the neo, the one that has no great game, only bad and mediocre (decent) ones. its as bad, maybe even worse than wh, and thats real bad people.

p.s. to the MOTW haters that like aof, you people dont know fighting games.Unless you are about to be in the Video Game Olympics, could you please get over yourself? You don't have fun with the games -- fine, move on. Who the fuck cares? Different people like different games for different reasons. Not everyone has the goal in life of becoming the fucking Ralph Maccio Karatre Kid of the fighting game tournament curcuit.

Believe it or not, some people just play to relax with friends, or to veg out for a few moments between jobs, not always in some high-stress do-or-die competetive video Kumite. Have you ever paid your rent by pulling off an impressive combo in MotW? Have you ever impressed a girl enough to get her into bed with your SF3 3S parrying skills?

No?

Then who gives a fuck? Who are you trying to impress? Just drop the "MotW rulz and AOF sux" talk. Old already.

Violent Ryo
03-17-2006, 03:16 AM
Is it just me or does everyone thoroughly enjoy it when Takuma ji and Southtownkid set people straight...:chimp:

Stop comparing AOF's gameplay to the fighters of today like they were made right after each other. AOF was a masterpiece and something people really enjoyed back when they were originally released. Just ask the veterans and people that played them then.

And half of the gameplay elements wouldnt be in fighting games today had it not been for the revolutionary series that is "Ryuuko NO KEN!"

AOF for life...:angry:

RBjakeSpecial
03-17-2006, 05:30 AM
AOF1 and FF1 are both CLASSIC games. They still are a blast to play. Ive got to agree with some others in this thread... AOF2 is just so hard it makes me upset.... but it's one of the few fighting games I've never cleared.. so the replay is awesome.

This collection will be great for those who don't have the neo games. They really should add something new though to get the old fans who have everything a reason to buy it. Online mode doesn't sell a game to me (anymore... damn laggy lag, only play FPSs now on live.)

**I was reading back on some of these replies from a long time ago... I made an angsty post, I feel embarressed (and I can't spell.)

Diavle18
03-17-2006, 05:58 AM
AOF3 is the MGS2:SOL of fighters, it took major gutts to make.

Personally I think its something very fresh and eventhough it came out in 96 nothing has come close. They actually made an effort to do something innovative with the gfx and gameplay.

My only regret is that I have never been able to play it 2p and so was never truly able to appreciate.

Frankfurt
03-17-2006, 07:30 AM
The hilarious part?

Noone managed to post some decent match videos proving that AOF has good gameplay.

Guess why? Because the AOF series is an unplayable mess that only retards can have fun with.

Enjoy your piece of shit, fanboys.

Violent Ryo
03-17-2006, 08:20 AM
If i post AOF match vids Time_Stop i.e. Frankfurt, will you shut the fuck up then?

Or will you still talk your shit regardless?

I don't understand how the haters do not have fun playing these games in 2p VS.

Why? Cuz they play and say,

''Where are the combos? This game sucks!..

Why does my fireball(specials) get weak if I keep doing it? This game sucks!

What the hell is this spirit meter? This game sucks!

Why the hell is my fourth button a taunt?! This game SUCKS!

What the FAK!!!!, Why do I keep losing!!!! This series SUCKS!!!!!"

They play the game for 5 minutes, and hate it for life.

Watch how many replies say "played extensively and still the game sucks".

Yeah, well if you played it that much, you should have learned how to play in the respective engine and if you learned how to play, there is no way you could not enjoy the games.

The worst thing you can do to make sure you hate this series is to compare it to other games. Especially modern/recent fighting games.

Anyway, by default, just by simply adding limited ability to use full power specials, and having to charge up your spirit meter to do full power specials and DMs, and the fact that taunts ate your opponent's spirit meter, give these games significant depth.

Now add the basic things in fighting games, like strats and you have more depth right there.

And the fact, at that time, AOF introduced to fighting games everything from Dash, DMs, Zooming, to back dash, throw reviwal, huge fireballs, actual adventure single player, taunts, visible damage on the sprites. The first fucking crossup move, (like Iori's air f+low kick).

My personal favorite were the off the wall specials.

Add gorgeous HUGE sprites and 2D graphics, tons of personality and charm complimented with a top soundtrack and you have a classic series.

Just ask the ones who play the games.

cafu1982
03-17-2006, 08:22 AM
The hilarious part?

Noone managed to post some decent match videos proving that AOF has good gameplay.

Guess why? Because the AOF series is an unplayable mess that only retards can have fun with.

if you don't like the game stay out of the thread, no one is forcing you to buy or play any AOF games. I don't like tekken so I don't play it & don't go to tekken forums & sh*t on the people there who play it lol. calm down.

taitai
03-17-2006, 11:36 AM
The hilarious part?

On MVS, AOF1 can go for as low as 5 bucks on ebay. AOF2 about 20.

You get what you pay for.

Magnaflux
03-17-2006, 11:47 AM
This is really cool, I can't believe I missed this thread.

That's some awesome art, I really dig it.

I hope some people who've never played the masterpiece that is AoF3 finally get the chance.

PS, ignore the haters. They probably can't beat Mr. Karate and have a sandy vagina because of it.

SouthtownKid
03-17-2006, 12:31 PM
On MVS, AOF1 can go for as low as 5 bucks on ebay. AOF2 about 20.

You get what you pay for.Wow, that's really funny. So clever. Carry the analogy further and realize you also can get SamSho 2 for super cheap. You can find copies of KOF '02 and KOF '98 for as cheap or cheaper than AOF3, Kizuna, and World Heroes Perfect.

I guess according to your logic, you think World Heroes Perfect is a better game than KOF '98, because you get what you pay for. Okay. You really thought that out.

Takumaji
03-17-2006, 12:45 PM
The hilarious part?

I'm really getting tired of your constant bad-mouthing of stuff you obviously have not the slightest clue of.

Some people just want to have fun with these games, and they don't need no stinking match vids to prove it, get that in your ignorant head, DUDE.

If you don't like the AoF series, fine, not my problem.

But I have a problem with you shitting in threads like this.

taitai
03-17-2006, 01:25 PM
Wow, that's really funny. So clever. Carry the analogy further and realize you also can get SamSho 2 for super cheap. You can find copies of KOF '02 and KOF '98 for as cheap or cheaper than AOF3, Kizuna, and World Heroes Perfect.

I guess according to your logic, you think World Heroes Perfect is a better game than KOF '98, because you get what you pay for. Okay. You really thought that out.

I really wasn't sure where I was going with that post.

(notice: Takuma usericon!)

I love AOF. I was blindsided by the retardedness that has hit this thread. I really don't get why people would insult someone who play games they don't. Augh. I'm looking forward to it. It looks nummy.

Cain Highwind
03-17-2006, 06:29 PM
I wonder why they only made 3 AOF games?:smirk:

oh yeah cuz they all suck!:kekeke:

Oh Frankurt, your hooker's here :kekeke:

I think I look forward to AoF 3 the most. I loved the soundtrack, the sprites, and the gameplay wasn't too bad either. I'm just going to wait people's impressions of the game this time before I get it.

starman
03-18-2006, 05:48 AM
Although I find the AOF series really clunky and hard to play, I have to admit, the box cover for this game is ridiculously awesome. Made of God and win and all that. :chimp:

SouthtownKid
03-18-2006, 01:18 PM
it aint about VG olympics or whatever man, AOF is just a mediocre fighting game and you guys are talkin like the holy grail of fighters is being released for the PS2. same shit if the world heroes series would get released for the ps2, or fight fever or some other series or game that just isnt good. the point you missed is AOF is a bad game, no matter how you look at it. even if you have fun with it so what. i dont know who you wanna impress with this bullshit game? even my friends who dont like fighters and just play a cassual match every now and then when i come by dont like it cause it sucks. sure they would also suck at MOTw or LB or any kof, but at the very least they see and play a good fighter no matter what skillz they have.

you r just replying like a fanboy and being nostalgic yourselfe. only good AOF is 3 and even that one is mediocre. i just know why i should have fun with games like galaxy warriors, fight fever, WH, AOF or any other shitty fighter for that matter. shit i even know how to play AOF and i still dont like it. average stays average. is it my fault i like games like the RB's, sfa's, sf3's, kofs, lb's, ds's, ss's and just good fighters. in the end of the day its about opinions and ours differ ones again what im happy about. but facts are facts and will stay the same, fact is AOF is a bad to mediocre game depending on the game, most of the fighters i just listed are really good. and im not all about fan favorite series, undercover games that i do like are waku waku 7 and kizuna encounter, id rather see one of those games released than a aof collection. but it really doesnt matter cause none of them would sell anyway. if you have fun with it enjoy it, me, ill pass this shit up for sure, got it on my neo, dont need it on my ps2, even if it where for free.Have fun in your sad, little world. You just don't get it. For some reason, you just don't seem able to wrap your mind around the idea. Here, I'll try to explain it to you:

What about movies? I bet that not every movie you like is some meaningful art film. You probably like a lot of meidocre Hollywood-type stuff that gets pumped out every year. What about music? You might listen to some good stuff, but I bet it's not all cutting edge, experimental bands. You probably listen to some weak-ass mainsteam stuff, too.

You're a hypocrite. Because you watch movies or tv or listen to music just based on what you enjoy... but when it comes to games, suddenly you have to be this super-strict nazi, where just enjoying them isn't enough. Suddenly, one is good and one is bad, and the people who enjoy the bad ones are idiots to you. What a load of shit.

The other thing that's pathetic is that if you don't like the AOF games, why come into the AOF game thread? Because you want to feel superior and point out to the AOF fans how the AOF games actually suck, and how wrong they are for liking them. Okay, now we know. We should all love Mark of the Wolves, and we should all stop accidentally having fun with games that aren't approved by you. Do you feel better now? That is really sad.

in the end of the day its about opinions and ours differ ones again what im happy about......okay...now you're talking...

...but facts are facts and will stay the sameeh, give me a fucking break.

JLoZeppelie
03-19-2006, 12:57 PM
Great! I love the AoF series!!! The game where all chars had personality, before they turned in idiot clowns entering KOF. I just hope SNKP don't screw up it. :crying:

Can't wait to play all three games without loading times and with complete arranged soundtrack! A dream come true! :drool:

Totally agree man :buttrock:
I'm just tired of "motw fanboy" who tell: This game sucks, is better that one :shame:
Now, im waiting for this GREAT COLLECTION for my hungry Ps2 :mr_t:

SonGohan
03-19-2006, 01:20 PM
Some people just don't get the Art of Fighting series. There's a lot of things that make it a good series:

First let's talk about one of the first games (if not the first) to introduce DMs and a spirit bar. Regardless of how you think they should or shouldn't be implimented - these are solid features that almost every fighter uses today.

Soime retard demands "awesome match videos" of high level versus play to prove that the game is solid. First of all: You're a fucking idiot. How many high level vids of Third Strike have you seen that literally put your ass to sleep with Chun/Yun/Ken? Art of Fighting isn't about big combos (before 3). Art of Fighting is a big poking game. Most of your specials are near worthless because of large startup and when they do come out you can jab out projectiles or just simply get out of the way (unless done meaty).

Let's also talk about taunts and the dash system. Taunts will forever keep your opponent from being able to unleash a DM on you. This is the only game I've seen that impliments the taunts in a correct way. Most other fighters you taunt and it just refills your opponents bar or gives you a small boost in yours. Stupid, so why the hell use it? In AoF you'll always be taunting to keep them from having a bar. Now the dash system is a thing of beauty, especially when you're playing footsies and sticking out pokes here and there. The dashes are incredibly fast and have deceptive range (since the game zooms in and out), so it's literally nothing to dash in and throw somebody before they realize what's going on. The AoF series was also one of the first (if not first) to establish tech throwing (or safe falls).

Now even with all that said - The AoF series is probably the most stylish Neo series out there. Almost every stage in AoF2 is a fucking masterpiece, and the music is top notch. This is SNK at their peak, dripping with quality aesthetics.

So anyway, if you're wanting to know why many people appreciate the AoF series, then look no further than the above. If you don't agree with it - fine, you just don't get it. Nobody is forcing you to get it, either. But get your fucking face out of this thread with your bullshit that it's crap and everybody who likes it needs to do something as ridiculous as putting up 'high level match videos' of the game. I mean, seriously, l-o-fucking-l. Moron.

Azathoth
03-19-2006, 10:26 PM
Art of Fighting isn't about big combos (before 3). Art of Fighting is a big poking game. Most of your specials are near worthless because of large startup and when they do come out you can jab out projectiles or just simply get out of the way (unless done meaty).

You're referring to AoF2 only, right?

taitai
03-20-2006, 01:29 AM
fact is

Nothing in your post was factual AT ALL. It's all opinion. It's not something that can be proven or disproven. It's a taste.

For example: I think Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike is a total piece of shit because out of a cast of well over a dozen characters, only 3 are competative. Maybe 4.

But that's just an opinion. There's nothing factual one way or the other about it.

Violent Ryo
03-20-2006, 02:09 AM
Damn Wes, hit it on the nail.

Some people just don't get it.

Oh well, regardless Wes provided an excellent summary of why AOF is a quality fighter, and recaps what AOF fans have been saying in this thread and all along.

AOF is the ultimate poke game, well 1 and 2 defiantely. There is an incredible amount of strategy involved in AOF to land hits in, to defend, manuever, and keep frickin taunting and building meter. The games are a total rush to play.

Very, very fast.

Seriously tho, what the fuk is the point of coming into this thread and starting arguments or talking your shit.

I don't like MVC2, CvS2, Tekken, Soul Calibur, and not a big fan of MOTW but sensible people don't go into threads as they please and start bashing the fans or the game.

An excellent point brought up by a couple people here.

If you don't like the game, FINE, just stay the hell out. We don't give a fuh what you say about AOF, we will enjoy it regardless.

Posting in the thread claiming how crappy the game is so you can feel superior in some way will not sway people.

Again to quote Wes "You people don't know your roots'' and let your pitiful egos discredit them.

Blue Steel
03-20-2006, 03:20 AM
Wes' post made me miss the old in depth gameplay discussions about KOF and SS. Now I really can't wait til this comes out since I no longer own these games.

JLoZeppelie
03-20-2006, 09:28 AM
Damn Wes, hit it on the nail.

Some people just don't get it.

Oh well, regardless Wes provided an excellent summary of why AOF is a quality fighter, and recaps what AOF fans have been saying in this thread and all along.

AOF is the ultimate poke game, well 1 and 2 defiantely. There is an incredible amount of strategy involved in AOF to land hits in, to defend, manuever, and keep frickin taunting and building meter. The games are a total rush to play.

Very, very fast.

Seriously tho, what the fuk is the point of coming into this thread and starting arguments or talking your shit.

I don't like MVC2, CvS2, Tekken, Soul Calibur, and not a big fan of MOTW but sensible people don't go into threads as they please and start bashing the fans or the game.

An excellent point brought up by a couple people here.

If you don't like the game, FINE, just stay the hell out. We don't give a fuh what you say about AOF, we will enjoy it regardless.

Posting in the thread claiming how crappy the game is so you can feel superior in some way will not sway people.

Again to quote Wes "You people don't know your roots'' and let your pitiful egos discredit them.

Totally agree buddy :buttrock:

SonGohan
03-20-2006, 10:41 AM
The one thing you have to take in is that most of the people who hate on the series weren't there when it first came out.

(Keep in mind, I said "most")

If you take the games and compare them to what was out at the time, it was easy to see how revolutionary they were and how they offered something different than the other fighting games that were out at the time.

A fucking game with DMs and a dash. How fucking cool was that at the time? Nowadays you have fighters that took these once-revolutionary ideas and molded them into their own games. It's easy to play these games for the first time these days and go "wow, why did people like these?"

That's because these games were so incredibly different and offered something unique at the time. In this sense, you can say that nostalgia plays a large factor, however usually with nostalgia you play for a few minutes and then shut the game off. It's not like that with many of the early Neo Geo series because the fun that you had 12 years ago is the same fun you can have today. Perhaps I'm a jaded gamer, because I hate 99% of the new-generation stuff that comes out today, but I can pick up games like AoF2, FFS, and SS2 and play them literally for hours, and that's because they're good games.

Taiso
03-20-2006, 11:58 AM
I don't see why people see the need to case on old games. KOF '94 is another frequent victim of this mentality, and that game is still, in my opinion, one of the finest fighting games ever made.

Here is the bottom line to the non-AOF fans out there.

This thread is about respect.

AOF has been a forgotten series, neglected by SNK for a LONG, LONG time. Now that it is getting some acknowledgement from SNKPlaymore, those of us who were there when these games came out are happy to see it. It is bringing us back to those days in the arcades, spent hovering around the Neo-Geo cabinet and recognizing the innovations SNK was bringing to fighting games at that time.

It is difficult to see something you remember fondly being shit all over. But it feels great to see that same thing get revived. Pre-reserved with NCS.

Yeah, it's nostalgia. But there's nothing wrong with enjoying something for nostalgia's sake. As long as you're enjoying what's currently out there as well, there's no problem with looking back on the days of old favorably.

Fran
03-20-2006, 12:19 PM
i'm glad i don't even check out threads in news & rumors anymore

Loopz
03-20-2006, 01:05 PM
i'm glad i don't even check out threads in news & rumors anymore

I feel like I stepped in dogshit by opening this thread.
Anyway...

The art for the PS2 compilation looks awesome, period.
I really hope the conversion of these games is done better than the LB games.
This is one of those issues that really separates the "been there since day 1" hardcore SNK fans and the rest. Art Of Fighting was never a threat to take over the fighting game crown or be THE series for SNK, but it was entertaining as hell back in the day and did offer a lot of innovation. Others here like Wes and Tak have expounded upon this already, but it needs to be driven home. Dashing and DMs came first in AoF, and AoF2 has the SICKEST AI you've ever tasted. If you're one of those people who wants a stiff challenge from the CPU, you're in for all you can handle there. Also, I could listen to Todo's stage theme from AoF1 all day long...when it plays in the "danger room" in CvS2 I get super hyped about that particular match. It's just a completely bad-ass piece of music, as is John's stage.
Wes, you need to bust that on your guitar and post it.

I never had a chance to put in much time with AoF3, so this would be a good opportunity to play that a lot.

Respect the roots kids.

alec
03-20-2006, 01:39 PM
My boy just got AOF 1 for his Japanese MVS and I played it for the first time in years. I loved it, especially the cut scenes with Ryo on the motor cylce.

Even the minigames in it are great, much better than Street Fighter II or Mortal Kombat minigames.

Come on yall, give AOF some love!

alec
03-20-2006, 01:54 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention in my first post that the cover art for this compilaiton is probably the best art I've ever seen from SNKP. I also want to say that I have hella respect for anyone who's beaten AOF2.
That's all, thanks for your time.

barf
03-20-2006, 05:01 PM
And a page on Famitsu site today, it features online multiplayer

http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/2006/03/20/104,1142853771,50313,0,0.html

release: may 11
5040yens

JDIAMOND
03-20-2006, 05:39 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention in my first post that the cover art for this compilaiton is probably the best art I've ever seen from SNKP. I also want to say that I have hella respect for anyone who's beaten AOF2.
That's all, thanks for your time.

I've beaten it without loosing a match.

Cain Highwind
03-20-2006, 05:56 PM
And a page on Famitsu site today, it features online multiplayer

http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/2006/03/20/104,1142853771,50313,0,0.html

release: may 11
5040yens

Yay for color edit! Damn! Could you imagine playing AoF with a Buriki One/WA colored Ryo (black gi, dark skin, and white hair) ? Sweet! Not to mention the pervs will make "skin colored bras" for King and Yuri.

It looks like it uses the same "interface" as the LB games did, so it probably means they're emulated with not much extras. Though lets hope they're emulated WELL this time.

JLoZeppelie
03-21-2006, 06:10 AM
Oh man, i want this NOW :buttrock:

Pep
04-17-2006, 09:46 AM
http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/code-j/section-games/pid-1004169035/

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-40-49-en-15-art%2Bof%2Bfighting-70-16t0.html

It's coming... :buttrock:

(Sorry if it has already been posted)

Broker Of Evil
04-17-2006, 06:00 PM
I dunno what's up with the bashing in this thread. But of course, here's my two pesos:
AOF brought a lot to the table. It was a packaged Karate movie, played in second person. The opening was just whicked. The gameplay was built strongly on being very open to counter attack, so you just didn't poke/fireball your way out. I didn't, anyways. And when I had my NG AES in 2k3, I had one game I played vs out of more than KOF.. was AOF2. Someone who hasn't even played the game can sit down, and have a chance of beating you, simply because the game is balanced. Balance doesn't make a game, sure. But it, combined with character appreciation, and like of the fighting system do. And with all Neo games, it comes down to how much you like the game, not it's worth in the arcade vs community. And, AOF2 Ryo's bg music is the best, period.

That was AOF 1/2. AOF3 is a whole 'nother story. Very neat graphics, and awesome bgs. The whole ground attack, and juggling system was groundbreaking imo. I've not played another arcade fighter like it, and never will. Sure, people can put AOF and SF together, because of this and that. MOTW and SF3 as well. But AOF 3 is out there alone.

Now, add all the bells and whistles for the PS2 release, and these games become instant need-to-own games. I'd call them classic, sure.. But I still play AOF 2 and 3, because they can still hold their own. Someone wanted a match or something? If you need validation other people are playing it, this game isn't for you.

PS: Awesome box art. Mr. Karate in the bg is just awesome. Awesome.

Tom
04-17-2006, 06:57 PM
I love the AOF series and this is good news for me. I just hope the remixed sound track isn't crap.

Tinieblas
04-18-2006, 09:20 AM
I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS GAME TO COME OUT, I LOVE ALL 3 GAMES (AOF 2 BEING MY FAVORITE) FIRST TIME I PLAYED AOF 1 WAS NOVEMBER THE THIRD 1993
HOPE THE LOAD TIMES ARE NOT SO EXAGERATED LIKE THE ONES ON NEO GEO BATTLE COLISEUM AND LAST BLADE

CarlosZ
04-18-2006, 10:47 AM
AoF grew on me, i thought it looked terrible but after playing it, its damn cool :buttrock:

Violent Ryo
05-09-2006, 11:05 PM
Hell yeah guys, AOF: Collection is out now !

Damn the cover is gorgeous....:drool_2:, wish there was a poster for this...

http://image.lik-sang.com/images//large/ps2-ryuko-ken-jap.jpg (http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-1rpn-49-en-84-j-70-16t0.html)

cafu1982
05-10-2006, 09:36 AM
anybody play/get this yet? I would like to hear some impressions.

Baseley09
05-10-2006, 10:38 AM
wow GREAT cover!:buttrock:

Liquid Snake
05-10-2006, 11:16 AM
NCSX has posted the first impression:

http://www.ncsx.com/2006/050806/ryuuko_no_ken.htm

Looks like AOF3 is closed to arcade version :)

cafu1982
05-10-2006, 11:20 AM
NCSX has posted the first impression:

http://www.ncsx.com/2006/050806/ryuuko_no_ken.htm

Looks like AOF3 is closed to arcade version :)

could you post the text here, i can't see that link because of my work filter.
thanks.

Liquid Snake
05-10-2006, 11:26 AM
could you post the text here, i can't see that link because of my work filter.
thanks.

NCS Consensus
The visual impact of the first two Art of Fighting games suffers somewhat from the disjointed background animation due to the aforementioned missing frames. Thankfully, it's only a visual niggle that doesn't affect the fast paced action or the flow of the control as a gamer crushes the competition. Perhaps it is ironic then that Art of Fighting 3 which required the most memory in the Neo Geo original is the truest PS2 conversion in terms of animation quality.

cafu1982
05-10-2006, 11:41 AM
NCS Consensus
The visual impact of the first two Art of Fighting games suffers somewhat from the disjointed background animation due to the aforementioned missing frames. Thankfully, it's only a visual niggle that doesn't affect the fast paced action or the flow of the control as a gamer crushes the competition. Perhaps it is ironic then that Art of Fighting 3 which required the most memory in the Neo Geo original is the truest PS2 conversion in terms of animation quality.

Cool, thanks.

Hopefully people that have the game (or iso) on these boards can post impressions soon too.

Im debating whether to pick this up, but if they are crappy ports, ill pass.

But then again I may just give in regardless, it is AOF afterall.

Liquid Snake
05-10-2006, 11:47 AM
AOF series is my all-time favorite and I already pre-ordered mine weeks ago :)

I have 1 & 2 in AES but 3 in CD (it'll cost me $$ to get AES version) and it's quite unplayable due to long loading......:annoyed:

Can't wait to play 3 on PS2 :smirk:

Kazuya_UK
05-10-2006, 04:18 PM
I love AOF, but seeing as I've had all three MVS carts for ages I'm not sure I really want to buy a (probably) emulated version on the PS2. I'll probably get to try it pretty soon though so I'll post a few impressions... I might give in and buy it at some point, I dunno.

Kaz

Pep
05-10-2006, 04:35 PM
I am disappointed, if an old game is ported to a new generation system it should be at least identical to the original, not to mention that one would expect some improvements. I simply don’t understand this way of doing things… :oh_no:

JLoZeppelie
05-10-2006, 04:40 PM
Oh man, I want this game NOW :drool: :buttrock: :loco:

roker
05-10-2006, 09:46 PM
sucks about 1 and 2's graphical glitches

but 3 is where it's at, so it's nice to know it's faithful

I used to play it all the time on my Supergun setup

I've heard the arranged soundtrack and prefer the original BGM in pt 3 (graphically and sound-wise, AOF3 pushed the hardware to it's limits)

Lyte Edge
05-10-2006, 10:01 PM
I'll be picking up AOF Collection in a few hours. Will post impressions then. The NCS impressions are a little disappointing; it seems strange that AOF1 and AOF2 have some animation cuts, but not AOF3! I wonder if these games are not being emulated from AES this time, but rather from the Neo CD versions? Should be easy to tell based on AOF3's sprite sizes.

Anyway, Art Of Fighting 3's arranged soundtrack is absolutely awesome. The PCM music sucked in comparison. I liked AOF2's arrange tracks too, especially the character select screen music. Don't remember what AOF1 sounded like on Neo CD. Been too long! :)

As long as this collection doesn't have the same frame rate problems that the awful Last Blade collection had, I'll be satisfied.

JLoZeppelie
05-11-2006, 12:10 AM
Oh, and Lite Edge,
The graphic is the SAME of Neo Geo version?
The focus option is present?
Thnx in advance buddy :mr_t:

Lyte Edge
05-11-2006, 05:29 AM
Okay, picked it up, played for a bit, and I think this is the best of the three emulated collections so far!

-Didn't notice any frames missing in the backgrounds like NCS was saying. Don't have the carts with me here to compare. Need some experts!
-No frame rate issues.
-Language options for all three games
-Same visual options as LB and KOF. Normal or Soft (which is once again TOO blurry); two screen size types.
-They did a great job on the load times; very FAST loading up the games, which are then the AES versions.
-Arranged soundtracks are integrated perfectly in AOF1 and AOF2; AOF3's music tends to sound a little too loud, but you can adjust it.
-Sound effects and voices are NOT muffled in AOF1 and AOF2!
-AOF3 has very slightly muffled sound effects; voices seem fine.
-Color edit options for all three games.
-Geese does not seem to be playable in AOF2; haven't tried the old Neo-Geo trick to get him in 2P, but he doesn't seem to have been made a regular character. He's not in color edit, either, where as Mr. Karate in AOF1 and Wyler and Sinclair in AOF3 are.

Great port; glad I picked it up. :glee: The arranged music, which ROCKS in all three games, combined with the visuals and zero load times from the cart versions, makes for a winner.

Violent Ryo
05-11-2006, 05:33 AM
Okay, picked it up, played for a bit, and I think this is the best of the three emulated collections so far!

Great port; glad I picked it up. :glee: The arranged music, which ROCKS in all three games, combined with the visuals and zero load times from the cart versions, makes for a winner.

So glad to hear all that man, I was a little nervous cuz of past reports on collections.

Can't wait to get my copy. Really looking forward to AOF 1's Arranged Soundtrack, as it didn't have one before.

AOF 4 LIFE!:mr_t:

cafu1982
05-11-2006, 09:18 AM
so where did everyone buy/plan on buying the game from?

I normally purchase my imports from lik-sang or play-asia, but I noticed yes-asia has the PS2 AOF collection listed for only $43 with free-shipping, seems like a better deal than the other two sites price-wise. Anybody bought from them before? good? bad?

Liquid Snake
05-11-2006, 09:34 AM

I normally purchase my imports from lik-sang or play-asia, but I noticed yes-asia has the PS2 AOF collection listed for only $43 with free-shipping, seems like a better deal than the other two sites price-wise. Anybody bought from them before? good? bad?

YESASIA!!!!!!!!!!!

My 2/3 DVD library and import PS2 games are from Yesasia :)

AlphaONE
05-11-2006, 10:23 AM

Yes-asia usually has better prices
and they sometimes pack in freebies, just like Play-Asia

Azathoth
05-11-2006, 12:04 PM
Really looking forward to AOF 1's Arranged Soundtrack, as it didn't have one before.

It's probably the same AST as the Duo version.

Can anyone confirm this?

Takumaji
05-11-2006, 01:31 PM

Can anyone confirm this?

The Duo port had an arranged st? Hm...

Edit: AFAIK there's not AST of AoF1 that I know of, maybe they released some tracks as part of one of the "symphonic" releases.

Will check my NGCD library...

Kaioh
05-11-2006, 02:33 PM

Can anyone confirm this?

I was wondering the same thing. That's the main reason I bought the Duo version, just so I could have an AST of AOF1. The Arrange music on the Duo version is really good and I hope the PS2 version is the same or just as good.

JLoZeppelie
05-11-2006, 03:10 PM

-Didn't notice any frames missing in the backgrounds like NCS was saying. Don't have the carts with me here to compare. Need some experts!
-No frame rate issues.
-Language options for all three games
-Same visual options as LB and KOF. Normal or Soft (which is once again TOO blurry); two screen size types.
-They did a great job on the load times; very FAST loading up the games, which are then the AES versions.
-Arranged soundtracks are integrated perfectly in AOF1 and AOF2; AOF3's music tends to sound a little too loud, but you can adjust it.
-Sound effects and voices are NOT muffled in AOF1 and AOF2!
-AOF3 has very slightly muffled sound effects; voices seem fine.
-Color edit options for all three games.
-Geese does not seem to be playable in AOF2; haven't tried the old Neo-Geo trick to get him in 2P, but he doesn't seem to have been made a regular character. He's not in color edit, either, where as Mr. Karate in AOF1 and Wyler and Sinclair in AOF3 are.

Oh man,
Thnx buddy, i WANT THIS GAME :make_fac: :buttrock: :mr_t:

Violent Ryo
05-11-2006, 10:48 PM
YesAsia does have a better price and was considering it, but having bought a couple times from them before, their shipping is way too slow for my taste.

So I went with P-A and already have the game, just havent opened it yet (waiting for days off work).

roker
05-12-2006, 01:05 AM
was there a lot of animation in AOF1?

I can't seem to recall

maybe two frames or so?

I'd say something about AOF2

but that game kicks my ass really good

Fygee
05-12-2006, 02:24 AM
Most of the animation for AOF1 was really piss poor. There was usually only one to three frames drawn for any action that occurs in the game.

Liquid Snake
05-12-2006, 07:35 AM
I've heard PC Engine ACD version of AOF has voices during intermissions and ending.....is it true?

Just wonder how good is PC Engine ACD port ....anybody?

Takumaji
05-12-2006, 09:17 AM
Hmm..

I'm still not sure about that AoF1 AST thing.

I guess they just call it AST because it's 44KHz 16bit stereo CD quality, but the music is the same as on cart.

Never heard of a vocal version of the AoF1 ST.

Ah well, I will buy the AoF compilation anyway, I already have the games on NGCD and cart but I find it cool that they release a collection so they have my full support.

Oh, and...

PLAY.MORE.AOF3!! :D

Violent Ryo
05-12-2006, 09:29 AM
Hmm..

I'm still not sure about that AoF1 AST thing.

I guess they just call it AST because it's 44KHz 16bit stereo CD quality, but the music is the same as on cart.

PLAY.MORE.AOF3!! :D

Real sad about no true AST for AOF1....thats my favorite soundtrack of the 3.

Yeah AOF 3! That game is a gem.

My favorite will always be the first one tho. So I say PlayMOREAOF1!!!

(2 is the overrated one of the series :chimp: )

Liquid Snake
05-12-2006, 09:37 AM
Never heard of a vocal version of the AoF1 ST....

Maybe it's time for me to get PCEngine ACD AOF :glee:

Takumaji
05-12-2006, 01:07 PM
Real sad about no true AST for AOF1....thats my favorite soundtrack of the 3.

Yeah AOF 3! That game is a gem.

My favorite will always be the first one tho. So I say PlayMOREAOF1!!!

(2 is the overrated one of the series :chimp: )

I'm not 100% sure about wether AoF1 has an AST or not, let's see, perhaps they used an updated version or the one from the PCE port.

My fave in terms of gameplay and music is 3, excellent game, and quite underrated.

2 is great as well. Most people hate on it because it's quite hard in 1P (if you play it reaction-based like the later KoFs and not pattern-based). but 2P is where it's at, the game really shines when played by the right people.

Maybe it's time for me to get PCEngine ACD AOF :)

Guess I won't buy into Engine stuff to play a port of AoF1, but I'm definitely interested in picking up the PCE CD version of the game for the soundtrack if the PS2 compilation doesn't already have it.

...which brings me to my question, do PCE CDs have red book audio tracks that are playable in a standard CD player?

Kaioh
05-12-2006, 01:17 PM
...which brings me to my question, do PCE CDs have red book audio tracks that are playable in a standard CD player?

Yep :) If I can figure out a way for my PC to read the CD and rip all the audio tracks I will do that. I think I can do it with Cdrwin or something. Cause Windows sees the game as an Audio CD but only shows 1 track because the second track is the data and then the remaining are Audio. So it confuses it. BRB gonna find Cdrwin and try to rip it.

Liquid Snake
05-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Guess I won't buy into Engine stuff to play a port of AoF1, but I'm definitely interested in picking up the PCE CD version of the game for the soundtrack if the PS2 compilation doesn't already have it.

If PCE CD version has additional voices then it's a different story........

I dont' like to play Neo port on Engine (FF2, FFS & WH2) but AOF is the one I really want to try it on.......

I want to see how Engine can handle "zoom" feature also......

Azathoth
05-12-2006, 01:34 PM
Yep :) If I can figure out a way for my PC to read the CD and rip all the audio tracks I will do that. I think I can do it with Cdrwin or something.

Pretty much any burning software will rip it. AoF is probably my favorite Neo soundtrack, and the Duo AST is definitely awesome.

I want to see how Engine can handle "zoom" feature also......

Unfortunately no emulator handles the zoom effect correctly, but even in it's screwed up form I can tell it's leaps and bounds above the SFC version. It's even got the facial damage!

Kaioh
05-12-2006, 01:42 PM
Ok I have all the audio ripped. Now a place to upload it to. Yousendit will be the best choice I suppose. I'll update with a link in a few minutes once I get it uploaded.

To answer the question about the zooming on the PC Engine version...well, it doesn't really zoom. The screen is normal when up close, the when it "zooms" it squishes the screen together to make the characters look smaller. It's pretty shitty. :shame:

Liquid Snake
05-12-2006, 01:54 PM
Ok I have all the audio ripped. Now a place to upload it to. Yousendit will be the best choice I suppose. I'll update with a link in a few minutes once I get it uploaded.

To answer the question about the zooming on the PC Engine version...well, it doesn't really zoom. The screen is normal when up close, the when it "zooms" it squishes the screen together to make the characters look smaller. It's pretty shitty. :shame:

Really?
how about the voices during intermissions & ending?
Is it worth to get Engine version?

Kaioh
05-12-2006, 02:19 PM
Here's the AOF PC Engine Duo audio files.
http://download.yousendit.com/D0EFC24200F3E844

It's in 1 big RAR file. Don't worry, I didn't hide any viruses in there.

To answer Liquid, if you're a fan of AOF then the Duo version is worth having for your collection. The voices in the intermissions and ending are fine, but don't really add anything to the game. The main reason to own it is for the AST it has. It's really cheap to buy too. I've seen it go for about $10 on ebay.

I also have FF2 and FFS for PC Engine Duo and I think those ports are great. I believe they use a different AST than the NGCD versions. I might be mistaken, but I remember playing FF2 on NGCD a few times and commented about the AST sounded different from the Duo version I'm used to playing.

Liquid Snake
05-12-2006, 02:32 PM

To answer Liquid, if you're a fan of AOF then the Duo version is worth having for your collection. The voices in the intermissions and ending are fine, but don't really add anything to the game. The main reason to own it is for the AST it has. It's really cheap to buy too. I've seen it go for about $10 on ebay.

I also have FF2 and FFS for PC Engine Duo and I think those ports are great. I believe they use a different AST than the NGCD versions. I might be mistaken, but I remember playing FF2 on NGCD a few times and commented about the AST sounded different from the Duo version I'm used to playing.

Hudson did the Neo ports on PCEngine therefore they might have different AST?

Takumaji
05-12-2006, 04:51 PM

Will check them out, thanks.

Liquid Snake
05-19-2006, 07:38 PM
Okay, I just got AOF collection this afternoon and I did spend sometime playing it.
Control is a bit hard to pull off on PS2 controller, or I should say it plays exactly the same as 1992 original...:eek_2: