Dragon Blaze tech bonus

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
So, I've been playing lots of DB again lately. Last night, I got a tech bonus for the first time when I killed the lvl-2 boss with a dragon charge. The words "tech bonus" appeared, and I got lots of points for it (about 10~20k-ish?).

However, I did the same to the lvl-3 boss and got no tech bonus - what are the requirements to get it?

Btw., IMO, DB is great to play for score, and my scores increased a lot after I started to properly use the dragon charge attack and the "remote special" technique (unleash your hold-fire special while not mounted). In terms of scoring and scoring options, DB is different to most other Psikyo games it seems, the dev'ers obviously played lots of Cave games... which is cool.

Awesome game, can't get enough of it.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I order to get the bonus you have to wait for the boss to show a red ball and then while it is exposed hit it with the dragon charge.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Spike said:
I order to get the bonus you have to wait for the boss to show a red ball and then while it is exposed hit it with the dragon charge.

I must have missed that red ball thingy... heh, I should look up from concentrating on the bullet patterns from time to time...

Thanks for clearing that up.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
yes,it's just like in strikers 1999

you often have to wait for a while for the ball to show up though

also,sometimes the ball only appears when the boss enters the 2nd form

mannerbot

New Challenger
Yeah, in order to get the tech bonus you have to wait until the boss shoots off an extra-complicated pattern, which it does in order to protect the core it exposes. You have to navigate through that pattern and launch your dragon at the core to get the tech bonus.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Fran said:
yes,it's just like in strikers 1999

you often have to wait for a while for the ball to show up though

also,sometimes the ball only appears when the boss enters the 2nd form

Yep, the appearance of the red ball is not constant which makes it difficult for me to get the tech bonus all the time. I can do it 8 out of 10 times in levels 1-3 now, but after that, I'm too busy dodging bullets so I always miss it.

Man, my game (and scores) improved a lot after getting the dragon charge/remote attacks down, but the game still is far from being a walk in the park.

What dragon do you prefer? I mostly play with the fire dragon (the first one), but the skeletton dragon is nice as well.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
even though she's probably crap,sonia

for some reason,i believe quaid and the fire dragon are the best duo in the game

about tech bonuses

if you know when a boss is about to show his core but don't know how to get close

simply waste a bomb and you can get the tech bonus easily

i would really love to get back into psikyo shooters cos they're still my fave or something

thing is,last year i played them all so fucking much i still can't bring myself to play them "seriously" right now

but maybe soon things will change ?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
heh, one of the dragons has a homing extra shot, and this similarity to s1945's Hayate made me smile... it's not as useful as Hayate, tho.

Anyway, another one (don't remember which one) has a very wide charge shot, and since some (all?) charge extras seem to kill bullets, I mostly use it to land a tech bonus by trying to charge-shoot the fierce bullet patterns and then hit the red core through the opening with a dragon attack.

Is it just me or is DB a lot more powerup/bomb-dependend than any other Psikyo game so far? I can't see myself mastering a few spots from level 1-3 on without using bombs, and that sucks because you also kill a lot of bigger enemies with it that you could milk for gold coins.

Kiken

Camel Slug
Takumaji said:
heh, one of the dragons has a homing extra shot, and this similarity to s1945's Hayate made me smile... it's not as useful as Hayate, tho.

Anyway, another one (don't remember which one) has a very wide charge shot, and since some (all?) charge extras seem to kill bullets, I mostly use it to land a tech bonus by trying to charge-shoot the fierce bullet patterns and then hit the red core through the opening with a dragon attack.

Is it just me or is DB a lot more powerup/bomb-dependend than any other Psikyo game so far? I can't see myself mastering a few spots from level 1-3 on without using bombs, and that sucks because you also kill a lot of bigger enemies with it that you could milk for gold coins.

It must be the one Psikyo shmup where I don't bother powering up. I stay at Level 1 until reaching the boss.. then I'll grab a couple of power-ups to help fight the boss. Beginning of the next level I run into enemies left and right to get back down to Level 1 and proceed through the whole stage just using the dragon charge (granted, I'm using the Bone Dragon, so the charge usage is the fastest).

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Kiken said:
It must be the one Psikyo shmup where I don't bother powering up. I stay at Level 1 until reaching the boss.. then I'll grab a couple of power-ups to help fight the boss. Beginning of the next level I run into enemies left and right to get back down to Level 1 and proceed through the whole stage just using the dragon charge (granted, I'm using the Bone Dragon, so the charge usage is the fastest).

Sounds like a nice strategy... mine is solely based on memorizing the tricky spots with bigger enemies that I destroy using the dragon-charge. Other than that, I rely on a powered up main shot and sending my dragon out for a remote special attack, but I have to be careful not to pick up too many powerups to avoid up'ing the difficulty.

heh... another one of those Psikyo shmups where I'll probably never see the end of the 2nd loop on one credit...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Thanks for the vids, downloading now (takes a while with my dialup line).

At least powering down is doable, but purposely avoiding powerup icons seems to be impossible for me because a dragon charge also collects any item which floats in its range, so you basically had to avoid dragon-charging one of those big bullet-spewing enemy creatures if a powerup icon is in front of it and either risk to get killed while dodging the bullets or waste a bomb.