Hard to get back into it...

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
I'm mainly a manic shooter fan, playing almost only vert and manic shooters. I'm currently on Mars Matrix, Gigawing, Dodonpachi etc etc. So, I'm far from playing well horizontal shooters and it's been a so big while I haven't played one of them that I really lost the feeling for this type of game, being too used to hyper-fast action and over-crowded screen.

Sooo, I bought Super R-Type on SFC, which is -admittedly- not the best in the series, but anyway, I gave it a try and I really suck ass at it. This game's hard as hell, it's so slow I'm really not used to it. I almost 1cced R Type Final but this one's far more hard.

Believing I just sucked at this one, I then played Darius Gaiden, Gradius Gaiden or Thunderforce V and... same noting.

I guess I lack practice but damn, horizontal shooters are so different, I didn't notice the gap was so big...

BIG

sony fanboy
Man,I feel the same way.

I usually do pretty well playing the newer and more modern vert shmups,but when it comes to the horizontal ones,I'm complete stumped.

Could it be the fact that the hit-boxes are larger?

B-

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
I think the horizontal shooters have a whole different approach, gameplay wise. It's not like playing the same type of game. Sure the hitboxes are wider, but just look at the way a horizontal shooter plays, it's nothing like a vert shooter. It just does'nt feel the same.

Same purpose but not same way to achieve it. I guess.

BIG

sony fanboy
Agreed.

Most hori's are full of indestructible obstacles (ceiling,ground,walls),whereas most vert-shmup does not.

B-

MNK

King's Dry Cleaner
I'm on the other side of the fence so to speak because I mostly play horizontal shooters, but I totally agree with what you said. It's especially true when you compare tate vs horizontal. From my own experience.. not very good at tate stuff, pretty good with fullscreen verts (like Soukyugurentai) and best at horiz.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I suck at both vert & hori shooters............ :crying:
Always need game shark/game genie to help me out........ :p

AWC

NEST Puppet
Yeah, I've hit walls many times in Gradius V due to a misjudgement in timing my movements in coordinance with the screen movement. In horizontals, enemies and bullets are not the only threat to the ship.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I have never noticed it to be difficult for me to adjust from one to the other. Except if I'm going from a vert game to an R-Type then I have trouble.

But I have noticed that vert. games seem to be easier to just pick and play at will.

@Liquid Snake: If you keep using a game shark you'll never improve your skills.

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
Victoly!

Hi guys,

I'm really satisfied today because I 1cced my first shooter!! I know it sucks but damn it's good to finish the 1st one in 1 credit! And the weirdest of this is that it's a hori shooter: Super R-Type.

Anyway, I'm really happy. :drool: