PC Engine SCD Psychic Storm

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
An average Telenet shooter on PC Engine. Some interesting background designs but that's about it. Nothing really impresses me.

Last boss is a joke, all you need to do is shoot shoot and shoot.

Don't spend more than $15 for this game.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Liquid Snake said:
An average Telenet shooter on PC Engine. Some interesting background designs but that's about it. Nothing really impresses me.

Last boss is a joke, all you need to do is shoot shoot and shoot.

Don't spend more than $15 for this game.

Yeah, I dropped about $30 on it....not that great. I usually pop it in and say "screw this, I'm playing Spriggan."

Dallas_Five

Terry Bogard's Taylor
in case anyone missed it, i'll paste the little review/preview i wrote up in the PCE shooters thread:

Psychic Storm is a cool vert shooter from Laser Soft and Alfa System that not many people talk about. It's got some shortcomings, but the presentation is nice and the gameplay is solid enough to make it worth checking it out.

psy4.gif
psychic3.gif

The most interesting gameplay addition is a transformation feature. Press I, your character shouts out "PSYCHIKUU STORM!", and your ship transforms into one of four weird bio-insect things depending on which character you choose. Each one has a different powerful weapon, but the transformation only lasts as long as the timer bar at the bottom of the screen. You can pick up orbs to add time on to the bar, and if you get hit time is taken off.

In normal ship mode, you have a life bar, and you can take six or seven hits before you die. You also have a charge bar which fills up quickly over time; when its full you press I + II at the same time to get a traditional bomb-type effect. This is more like a sub-weapon than a bomb though, as it's use is unlimited (the transformation has stocks though, up to three).

The game starts with a nice, albeit short, intro that highlights the characters:

INTRO-Psychic_Storm_02.GIF

Alexthander F. Lin
Codename: Duke in Scarlet
Sex: Male Age: 19 Bloodtype: O

INTRO-Psychic_Storm_04.GIF

Nastasia Ustinov
Codename: The Blue Shooting Star
Sex: Female Age: 22 Bloodtype: A

INTRO-Psychic_Storm_07.GIF

Joe McSimilien
Codename: Pirates of Violet
Sex: Male Age: 27 Bloodtype: B

INTRO-Psychic_Storm_09.GIF

Charr
Codename: The Black Widow
Sex: Male Age: 24 Bloodtype: AB

As mentioned above, there are some weaknesses that keep the game from being great. The ships seems kind of slow; in fact, the whole game seems a little slow. THis might be due to the scrolling speed or the occasional lack of enemies. I don't personally mind this cuz i don't need every shooter i play to be Cave-style craziness, but some people might get bored. Some of the BGs can be kind of sparse too, but i dig any game that has a "flying over a city at night" level, which in this case is New Hong Kong (the first level). THe game is pretty easy due to the life bar, sub-weapon, and transformations, but if you die you start at the beginning of a level. This pisses me off sometimes, as the levels (of which there are seven) are looooonnngggg, with two parts to each stage.

However, there are a lot of nice touches:
- There's a two-player mode where, when you transform, both players merge together, with one person shooting forward and one shooting backwards via a crosshairs.
- You can switch characters between stages.
- The enemy sprites are super-detailed and varied, with a sort of mechanized insect vibe, and the bosses are big and cool.
- Once you get to the third stage you can choose your path.
- THe BGM, while not overly memorable, has some nice tracks (i like the second stage particularly).
- THere is some awesome engrish: "YOU SHOOTED THE BOSS".
- With four characters each with a different main shot, sub-weapon, and psychic storm attack, there's a lot of weapon variety.

Overall, it's a game definitely worth buying, especially because it's pretty cheap. Hardcore shooter fans might find it boring or just average, but the small touches make it a game that will get plenty of play.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Don't get me wrong, I'm not gonna' sell my copy or anything, its just not THAT good. But with games like Nexzr and Spriggan, one can get spoiled.

Dallas_Five

Terry Bogard's Taylor
pixeljunkie said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not gonna' sell my copy or anything, its just not THAT good. But with games like Nexzr and Spriggan, one can get spoiled.
Absolutely. The biggest problem with the game is it's speed. It just gets boring compared to a faster-feeling game like Spriggan.

Basically, it's a slightly above-average shooter with a low price tag and wide availability. I think it's a worthwile pickup for a cheap vertical shooting fix. Plus the transformations are a cool idea and it's nice to look at.

But i wouldn't pay $30 for it. :kekeke:

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Dallas_Five said:
Basically, it's a slightly above-average shooter with a low price tag and wide availability. I think it's a worthwile pickup for a cheap vertical shooting fix.

agreed

Dallas_Five said:
But i wouldn't pay $30 for it. :kekeke:

-sigh- agreed. [I think I paid $20-something + shipping....ungh

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Switching character between each stage is a plus as certain character will work great with end level bosses.

I have found out that use Alex in most levels and switch to Charr (I think he's the one with laser beam) in the last two levels.

It took me nearly 13 years to get this game. It doesn't mean I can not find any copy online but I'm just too lazy to buy this game...hehehhe :D

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Dallas_Five said:
in case anyone missed it, i'll paste the little review/preview i wrote up in the PCE shooters thread:

Psychic Storm is a cool vert shooter from Laser Soft and Alfa System that not many people talk about. It's got some shortcomings, but the presentation is nice and the gameplay is solid enough to make it worth checking it out.

psy4.gif
psychic3.gif

The most interesting gameplay addition is a transformation feature. Press I, your character shouts out "PSYCHIKUU STORM!", and your ship transforms into one of four weird bio-insect things depending on which character you choose. Each one has a different powerful weapon, but the transformation only lasts as long as the timer bar at the bottom of the screen. You can pick up orbs to add time on to the bar, and if you get hit time is taken off.

In normal ship mode, you have a life bar, and you can take six or seven hits before you die. You also have a charge bar which fills up quickly over time; when its full you press I + II at the same time to get a traditional bomb-type effect. This is more like a sub-weapon than a bomb though, as it's use is unlimited (the transformation has stocks though, up to three).

The game starts with a nice, albeit short, intro that highlights the characters:

INTRO-Psychic_Storm_02.GIF

Alexthander F. Lin
Codename: Duke in Scarlet
Sex: Male Age: 19 Bloodtype: O

INTRO-Psychic_Storm_04.GIF

Nastasia Ustinov
Codename: The Blue Shooting Star
Sex: Female Age: 22 Bloodtype: A

INTRO-Psychic_Storm_07.GIF

Joe McSimilien
Codename: Pirates of Violet
Sex: Male Age: 27 Bloodtype: B

INTRO-Psychic_Storm_09.GIF

Charr
Codename: The Black Widow
Sex: Male Age: 24 Bloodtype: AB

As mentioned above, there are some weaknesses that keep the game from being great. The ships seems kind of slow; in fact, the whole game seems a little slow. THis might be due to the scrolling speed or the occasional lack of enemies. I don't personally mind this cuz i don't need every shooter i play to be Cave-style craziness, but some people might get bored. Some of the BGs can be kind of sparse too, but i dig any game that has a "flying over a city at night" level, which in this case is New Hong Kong (the first level). THe game is pretty easy due to the life bar, sub-weapon, and transformations, but if you die you start at the beginning of a level. This pisses me off sometimes, as the levels (of which there are seven) are looooonnngggg, with two parts to each stage.

However, there are a lot of nice touches:
- There's a two-player mode where, when you transform, both players merge together, with one person shooting forward and one shooting backwards via a crosshairs.
- You can switch characters between stages.
- The enemy sprites are super-detailed and varied, with a sort of mechanized insect vibe, and the bosses are big and cool.
- Once you get to the third stage you can choose your path.
- THe BGM, while not overly memorable, has some nice tracks (i like the second stage particularly).
- THere is some awesome engrish: "YOU SHOOTED THE BOSS".
- With four characters each with a different main shot, sub-weapon, and psychic storm attack, there's a lot of weapon variety.

Overall, it's a game definitely worth buying, especially because it's pretty cheap. Hardcore shooter fans might find it boring or just average, but the small touches make it a game that will get plenty of play.
Sounds like another ho-hum shooter to me then.

Then agian i might check it out since it's dirt cheap.

I swear one thing i 'hate about collecting shooters for the, PCE is some of the... high profile titles go for a lot :annoyed:

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
I go tmine for $11 played through it a couple of times, nice challenge and pace to it imo. The ships pretty much suck though, none of the weapons really appeal to me so i just go for the best psychic storm.

PSSSSSSYCHICA STOOOOORMA!!

:buttrock: