Snk Playmore no longer Supporting AW-Net

GarySheffield

Banned
In a suprise to me and maybe many others of this forum. Snk Playmore has decided to stop supporting AW-Net.

Here is the official announcement:

SNK Playmore announced its upcoming Atomsiwave arcade fighting game The King of Fighters XI will not correspond to AW-NET, the arcade network which allows players to battle online. NeoGeo Battle Coliseum will be the last game to support AW-NET.

Wow only 2 games and they give up already. NGBC just came out you cannot judge performance by 2 games. Here is hoping they at least make a better Xbox live experience for us gamers. Snk vs Capcom Chaos is a joke I think it should be rereleased with rematch options.

PEACE OUT!!!!

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
kernow said:
do AW games have loading?

of course

about the aw net

who cares?

unless you live in japan,you can't gain points / unlock stuff / create your profile anyway

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
Could this mean that they're going to turn their focus on the home market and not push so hard on the arcade platforms?

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
last time i checked,
kof 2002 on mvs was ( is ) a huge success in japanese arcades

and it didn't have all that cool online stuff

people play the games to,hmm,play the games

i fail to see how the lack of a pretty useless online option will shift things and all that

VinylBoy

True... but we can't expect people in Japan to continue going to an arcade just to play a 3+ year old game, not with all of the new options they are presented with. Even KOF '98 could only keep the arcades hot for so long. I don't think SNK/Playmore is going to stop arcade development completely... I just think they're going to focus more on home markets even in Japan. They're going to have to for even in Japan, arcades aren't nearly as populated as they once were. Still better than any US arcade, I'm sure...

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I think SNK/Playmore doesnt have the faith in AW-Net or doesnt believe its benificial to them. Whos to say any other games using this system are succesful at all?

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
VinylBoy said:
True... but we can't expect people in Japan to continue going to an arcade just to play a 3+ year old game, not with all of the new options they are presented with. Even KOF '98 could only keep the arcades hot for so long. I don't think SNK/Playmore is going to stop arcade development completely... I just think they're going to focus more on home markets even in Japan. They're going to have to for even in Japan, arcades aren't nearly as populated as they once were. Still better than any US arcade, I'm sure...

true :)

the funny bit is,all the extra characters / costumes in neowave can be "opened" by a simple code in the start up menu

so basically sammy / playmore was "forcing" players to buy a 500 Y card and to pay i think 200 Y a month to unlock them things

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Fran said:

the funny bit is,all the extra characters / costumes in neowave can be "opened" by a simple code in the start up menu

so basically sammy / playmore was "forcing" players to buy a 500 Y card and to pay i think 200 Y a month to unlock them things

To enter the password, the board has to be set to "other" in the region settings, so it is not supposed to be used in Japan. Actually the password option is available in order to make extra characters available to the non-Japanese markets as they don't have AWNet. Also remember that the password was made public by SNKP whenever they wanted, some months after the Japanese release, so the card was the only option available during that time. And last but not least, the arcade operators have to bother finding out about the password and wasting like 5 minutes of their time to input it. Taking care that the button lay-out is fucked up in many Neowave cabs and they don't bother to fix it via the configuration screen, I doubt many arcade ops would do that even if requested.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
Has anybody ever seem a Atomiswave cab in the US that had any game besides Ranger Mission, Sports Shooting USA, or Faster Than Speed in it?

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
neo_X7 said:
Has anybody ever seem a Atomiswave cab in the US that had any game besides Ranger Mission, Sports Shooting USA, or Faster Than Speed in it?

Nope. I though Guilty Gear XX was until I realized it wasn't for the Atomiswave. :emb:

Alex0916

Bling kills, but...,
neo_X7 said:
Yes I have a NeoWave AW cab.

VinylBoy

Fran said:

It's like the revenge of the Neo Geo Memory Card. I remember how I tried to bring a Memory Card from my AES to a local arcade back in 1996 and the arcade owner wasn't having it.

A cute gimmick, but very hard to sell. :annoyed:

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
I have seen Dolphin Blue in 2 different locations and that Final Fight style beat em up as well (not sure on the name of that one). The only one I played was Dolphin Blue, it was good, but not anywhere near MS good... :)

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Amano Jacu said:
Taking care that the button lay-out is fucked up in many Neowave cabs and they don't bother to fix it via the configuration screen, I doubt many arcade ops would do that even if requested.
Fixing the Neowave button layout is obnoxious as fuck. I played with it once; not worth the hassle. If I was an arcade op, I'd just let people adjust to whatever it happened to be.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
SouthtownKid said:
Fixing the Neowave button layout is obnoxious as fuck. I played with it once; not worth the hassle. If I was an arcade op, I'd just let people adjust to whatever it happened to be.

I don't really understand what you say. You accessed the configuration screen of the cab? And by the way, I'm not talking about the default theorical lay-out, which is weird but playable, but what happened to Loopz and me in official cabs:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119906

A totally unplayable one.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Amano Jacu said:
I don't really understand what you say. You accessed the configuration screen of the cab? And by the way, I'm not talking about the default theorical lay-out, which is weird but playable, but what happened to Loopz and me in official cabs:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119906

A totally unplayable one.
BIG hooked up an AW with Neowave to a supergun, and we had to switch the layout to play on the supergun's joysticks. Unlike on a console game, where you can change a single button, on Neowave switching one button would switch all of them, so you'd have to cycle through all the possible combinations of the 5 buttons to get the config you wanted. It was not worth the hassle.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
SouthtownKid said:
BIG hooked up an AW with Neowave to a supergun, and we had to switch the layout to play on the supergun's joysticks. Unlike on a console game, where you can change a single button, on Neowave switching one button would switch all of them, so you'd have to cycle through all the possible combinations of the 5 buttons to get the config you wanted. It was not worth the hassle.

Well, first of all an arcade game is not a console game so they just can't be compared. Other than having to use the test and service button (which again is normal in arcade games), I don't see where's the problem, I only needed like 15 seconds to have the lay-out I wanted, just select the function for each button and that's all. Definately is worth the hassle if you want to play right, and it is saved in the mobo until you change the game. This is how the config works for me, actually I only had to assign button 3 to hard punch, and automatically button 2 went to light kick and I was all set.

neowaveconf.jpg

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I read this as "SNK PLAYMORE NO LONGER MAKING GAMES"

and just had to post,

now I'm dissapointed though.

ying123

n00b
Learn who to blame. Sammy Sega is the one decided to stop using AW-net, not SNKP