What these odd audio out on Phantom-1

dr.wily

n00b
Hi all !

I suggest to you a little question.

I do not understand how work the audio out on Phantom-1.

How the sound out ? By cartridge port ? By cartridge herself ?

Cartridge connector on Neogeo AES is carry only data, not analog audio signal ?

What the pin who has this audio signal ? I don't understand ! :help:

larsoncc

n00b
The cart has the audio data on it.

The audio data is sent to the Neo Geo motherboard, through the cart slot.

The Neo Geo motherboard interprets the sound data, and turns it into an audio signal for your speakers / TV.

Does that help?

larsoncc

n00b
The ports on the side are for plugging into your stereo, if you want to do that.

As far as I understand, they are just extra. Some people say you get better sound without using them.

Some people can't get them to work at all.

So, they are not all that important, I think.

Urbain03

Quiz Detective
Thanks Larsoncc... but are you sure about the sound on the cartridge !!!??

I think there's only program code on the cartridges' eeproms.

This data is sent to the sound processor on the Neo-Geo (Yamaha 2610)... the audio is created by this processor.

That's why we don't understand why the phatom seems to "take" the sound from the cartridge slot on the motherboard ?

The Neo (not all models), for an unknown reason, must send some analog audio L+R to the cartridge slot...

Adamaki

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Interesting stuff MKL. Maybe the audio data was passed back to the cart in early AES versions for games that use the link cable such as riding hero so the sound from both systems could be heard from both tv's?

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Urbain03 said:
Thanks Larsoncc... but are you sure about the sound on the cartridge !!!??

I think there's only program code on the cartridges' eeproms.

This data is sent to the sound processor on the Neo-Geo (Yamaha 2610)... the audio is created by this processor.

The carts have different romsets with the main program, graphic data, audio data, etcl - not only program code.

The audio data (music, effects, voices, etc) is stored in the V romset as different sound samples, which are used by the system with help of the M romset of the cart (samples sequences/addresses) to play the game music or sound effetcs.

Urbain03

Quiz Detective
Thanks everyone for you explanations.

About what Adamaki said:

If i had a game with a "network" jack, i would have tested it with a multimeter, to see to which pin the jack is leading... if it's the same as the phantom's audio (which is one of the center pins on the front printed board, see here and here ), it would mean that this whole "audio-on-the-cartridge-slot" concept has something to do with network games such as Leage Bowling or Riding Hero...

Maybe these games are using the Neo sound channels to send network data !???

:conf:

(it would also mean that these games wouldn't work on later Neo models that don't send sound on these pins)

Last edited:

dr.wily

n00b
Thank. But why the sound would turn over to the cartridge? (after being decoded by the YM2610 and tranlated by the DAC) ? For what that is used ?

Cartridge connector on Neogeo AES is carry only data, not analog audio signal. And the pin L&R are no wire.

Very strange ? May it be that a chip produces the sound in the Neogeo cartridge before the YM2610 ?

Urbain03

Quiz Detective
Dr. Willy: as someone has explained: it's probably something that was made for some unknown (or never released) peripheral, but it was quickly abandoned.

As Adamaki said, it *could* have something to do with network games suchs as League Bowling or Riding Hero. I have also suggested that the sounds channels could be used as data channels for these network games? It could explain why audio was returned to the port. But that's only some weird suggestion from myself ;)

I also explained on the Neo-Arcadia board (with my other nickname, Roger Manvu! :D ) that the 2 jacks on the phantom ARE wired, despite our visual analyse of the printed circuit board. :p Go check the thread.