running 6-slot from +5V only, help?

Dalle

n00b
hi

now that i've the thing up and running i was thinking of making it a bit (a lot) prettier by doing the wiring internal and also planning on buying a 5V psu that is quite small so i can make a neat "console" out of this monster :-)
but i havent quite been able to find what i was looking for on the forum so i thought i'd ask

i read that you could use the audio from the headphone connector, but which connector is that (i know it isnt the mini-jack's, because i've alried tried using those :-))

Dalle

n00b
now that you meantioned manual, i looked in my manual and on page 3 it says 4 pin on a diagram that connects to and external board with a headphone connector... ok so far so good, but still hasnt helped in finding out if i still need the 12V with the headphone out connected... guess i could always just use the gold old "trial & error"

Moose

Moose,
20 Year Member
Ive asked this question a few times around the boards here in reference to my plan to one day build a portable MVS.

What your wondering is if the MVS can be powered off of 5volts alone. The answer Ive come to understand is NO.
From what I understand, in simple form, the MVS Video is powered from the 5 volt connection, while the sound in its entirety is powered by a 12 volt source. Im still hoping someone can truly confirm this. I could If I got my soldering iron out, and de-soldered my 12-volt pin from my 1/2 built supergun. Maybe tommorow ill give it a try.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Moose said:
Ive asked this question a few times around the boards here in reference to my plan to one day build a portable MVS.

What your wondering is if the MVS can be powered off of 5volts alone. The answer Ive come to understand is NO.
From what I understand, in simple form, the MVS Video is powered from the 5 volt connection, while the sound in its entirety is powered by a 12 volt source. Im still hoping someone can truly confirm this. I could If I got my soldering iron out, and de-soldered my 12-volt pin from my 1/2 built supergun. Maybe tommorow ill give it a try.

You can run MVS off just the 5 volts.
The 12 volts supplies the HA13001 audio output IC, on most board, there is a 7805 5 volt regulator which supplies 5 volts to the 4558 audio op-amps.

So you could take the main 5 volt rail to the output of the 7805 regulator and still get headphone level outputs. To drive speakers you will need 12 volts for the audio output stage.

Adamaki

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
ttooddddyy said:
You can run MVS off just the 5 volts.
The 12 volts supplies the HA13001 audio output IC, on most board, there is a 7805 5 volt regulator which supplies 5 volts to the 4558 audio op-amps.

So you could take the main 5 volt rail to the output of the 7805 regulator and still get headphone level outputs. To drive speakers you will need 12 volts for the audio output stage.

This mod is explained in full in another thread. Do a search and you'll find it.

Dalle, I would have thought with a 6-slot you'd need a large AT psu anyway to get enough power to the board, so how would removing the 12v help?

Robert

20 Year Member
Moose said:
Ive asked this question a few times around the boards here in reference to my plan to one day build a portable MVS

Portable MVS??? You mean like a game boy...

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Adamaki said:
This mod is explained in full in another thread. Do a search and you'll find it.

Dalle, I would have thought with a 6-slot you'd need a large AT psu anyway to get enough power to the board, so how would removing the 12v help?

I think I contributed in it, this is just a brief
;)

Dalle

n00b
you shouldnt need a "large" AT psu, i think an 8A would be fine. and i've found some nice small 5v psu's that i could fit in the neo

stuffmonger

Baseball Star Hitter
Robert said:
Portable MVS??? You mean like a game boy...
:kekeke: *imagines a gameboy with an mvs cart sticking out of it* :kekeke:
Maybe he was talking more like a car model?... but... you could get a +12v from the cigarette lighter... I dunno... but a gameboy with a cart the size of the mvs carts would be pretty silly looking...

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
You can buy small boards that will convert 5v to 12v and place this inside with the psu. They are sort of space consuming and expensive though.

cheers,
-DT