Overrated Neo Geo games that costs too much

Makismo

Ghost of Captain Kidd
In your opinion, what Neo Geo game do you consider to be overrated that costs too much money? I think that Metal Slug is a bit overrated. Don't get me wrong, it is a great game but I don't think that it is worth $3,000. I also think that people highly overrate Kizuna Encounter as well. I really don't think that it is much better than Savage Reign (its prequel) and I think that people like it better than it really is because of how rare it is. The same goes for Neo Turf Masters. It is a pretty good game, just not as great as the people say who drop $2,000+ on it. What are your thoughts on these issues?

Howdoin

, Le BLING-BLING!,
Ok let's be honest here - ALL games that are sold for over $50 are TOO expensive and to be honest Magician Lord is still too much money at $40.

As for Neo there's not really any game that's overrated, noone ever pretended that Kizuna was a great game, it's just a RARE game. Sure $3000 for a MS is crazy but the game is GOOD and not overrated.

I think your question is more appropriate for "regular" systems (Like GTA is overrated, Suikoden 2 is overrated and so on).

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
Baseley09 said:
Id say Kizuna is pretty good in comparison to Savage Reign.

Perhaps so, but it is in no way good in comparisson to its cost on AES, especially the english version. Honestly, there are a lot of Neo games that aren't worth the price of admission in my opinion and as I get older I find my tastes that much more discriminating what with limited time to actually sit and play them. For instance, as much as I love Last Blade 2 and liked MotW I sold the latter for a nice chunk of change about a year ago or so and am about to sell LB2 as well simply because I can't condone having a single game that I could get that much cash off of when I can play a port for far cheaper. I can suffer through faded sprites and such minor inconveniences for that much of a financial difference.

Some games that immediatly spring to mind that should rank highly in this list are Breaker's Revenge, Pulstar and Blazing Star. In fact, the only games I think are worth having on AES any longer are Sam Sho 2-5 Special and Real Bout 2 since Sam Sho never had a good port that didn't drag ass during loads or skip frames/slow down when 2 big characters occupied the screen and Real Bout 2 never had a port period. If you already have a MVS rig then Metal Slug, MS2, MSX, Ninja Masters (to some degree), Flip Shot, and Windjammers, and the various KoF games are all fun to play as well.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Um Fatal Fury Special is probably the only game worth buying for the going price on AES...

Overrated doesn't mean 'commands a shit ton of money for a percieved collector's item' it should mean 'hey such and such a game gets too much attention just because its on the Neo while we pass over many other worthier games on other systems'

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Well, I'd feel a fuck of a lot better if Samurai Shodown 2 still sold for $180 but sadly it does not. I can at least feel that I got my money's worth in the last 10+ years playing it though. Still hurts to see it sell so damn low when you have other titles which basically are SHIT compared to SS2 sell for so much more.

Adamaki

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
In answer to the original question I'd say any game that costs over £30. The only reason some games are so expensive is because they're not common enough for everyone who wants a copy to have one so some people will pay stupid money to get hold of them, whereas other people (like me) will only pay up to a certain amount for a game. I love the Neo but it's only for entertainment after all, and I'd need a hell of a lot of entertainment to part with £1500 of my hard earned cash!

Robert

20 Year Member
When I read this thread, I have the impression that some of you think that prices are related to the quality of the game.
If we pay our games so much it's because the neo became a collecting item like baseball cards or star wars toys.

I'm suprised by such a topic.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Quiz Chibi Marukkochan is undoubtly a fucking expensive game for what the game is.

I don't if the collectors say it's rare or something. The game is just pure crap.
Ultimate 11 -> Ditto.

Metal Slug, Kizuna, NTM, Metal Slug 2 are all cool games, but there's nothing other than rarity than justify their market(?) values.

Last edited:

cps2

Goal! Goal! Goal!
Metal Slug is an amazing game if way to expensive but it is the same with any system it has some crap on it which is expenisive but people will still buy it cause of its rarirty