Metal Slug 3D = Metal Slug: Evolution

enomosiki

Hardened Shock Trooper
ms3de306.jpg

More screenshots here. Too lazy to redo all the BBcodes.

Who the hell came up with the title, "Metal Slug: Evolution"?

Last edited:

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
I actually like that title screen, but I have serious doubts about how the gameplay will turn out. Actually, I don't have any doubts at all - I'm quite certain that it will suck ass.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Yay, bastardize another favorite series to the 3D whore.

You know, old samurai flicks should forever remain black and white. A vintage sports car has it's carburetor, worn leather seats, and aroma of oil, gas and slight mildew. That's part of the enjoyment of such things.

Those old samurai flicks don't need CGI and the cars don't need fuel injection, ECMs, whilst they lose their charm.

Metal Slug should never go into 3D period.

wookiewombat

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
so umm, is this coming out for current consoles? or atomiswave or whats the deal?

GarySheffield

Banned
enomosiki said:
ms3de306.jpg

More screenshots here. Too lazy to redo all the BBcodes.

Who the hell came up with the title, "Metal Slug: Revolution"?

This game SUX so much ass it spews shit when it talks.

This game is for the PS2 game console. How this got out over metal slug 3,puyo pop fever,and other misc 2d games is beyond me.

The gameplay looks hollow and the game has no soul.

I want metal slug 6. Were we not promised that during SNK AW showing last year.

So far we have seen 2 of the big 3. King Of Fighters XI and Samurai Shodown Tenka. Im guessing Metal Slug 6 will come out later this year.We know how much Playmore likes to recycle sprites and port Metal Slug's to everything but the N gage.I for one would like to see Metal Slug 3 on PSP.

Word to your mother!

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
GarySheffield said:
This game SUX so much ass it spews shit when it talks.

This game is for the PS2 game console. How this got out over metal slug 3,puyo pop fever,and other misc 2d games is beyond me.

The gameplay looks hollow and the game has no soul.

I want metal slug 6. Were we not promised that during SNK AW showing last year.

So far we have seen 2 of the big 3. King Of Fighters XI and Samurai Shodown Tenka. Im guessing Metal Slug 6 will come out later this year.We know how much Playmore likes to recycle sprites and port Metal Slug's to everything but the N gage.I for one would like to see Metal Slug 3 on PSP.

Word to your mother!

How can you critisize gameplay of a game you havent even played? you is smart ^_-.

Anyway the graphics remind me of One Piece grand battle rush. I'm still skeptical and it's probably way too early to say where this game is evey going

GarySheffield

Banned
OrochiEddie said:
How can you critisize gameplay of a game you havent even played? you is smart ^_-.

Anyway the graphics remind me of One Piece grand battle rush. I'm still skeptical and it's probably way too early to say where this game is evey going

A bullshit beta demo has been floating the newsgroups for some time since last Gameshow.

If this game is even 2 times better then that lackluster repetitve demo it will still be a ass rape of your money.

Playmore SNK stick with what works and do not change something we have come to love.

This is Metal Slug Blasphemy!!!!

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
GarySheffield said:
A bullshit beta demo has been floating the newsgroups for some time since last Gameshow.

If this game is even 2 times better then that lackluster repetitve demo it will still be a ass rape of your money.

Playmore SNK stick with what works and do not change something we have come to love.

This is Metal Slug Blasphemy!!!!

Yeah! and your ugly!

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member

Because he's Japhei. Brains don't enter into the equation for him.

GarySheffield

Banned
Fygee said:
Because he's Japhei. Brains don't enter into the equation for him.

Japhei Is responsible for Snk Vs Capcom MVS Kits!!!

And eventually killing the Neo Rom Cart system so eventual evolution of Atomiswave games could happen.

HEHE

Last edited:

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
GarySheffield said:
Japhei Is responsible for Snk Vs Capcom MVS Kits!!!

And eventually killing the Neo Rom Cart system so eventual evolution of Atomiswave games could happen.

HEHE
So you were responsible for distributing that piece of ass? FUCK YOU!

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Funny enough, these days, I'm torn about Playmore's position. In one side, I would love to see their great 2D franchises stay 2D forever. Especially since Hi-resolution 2D fighting was JUST getting started. Guilty Gear withstanding. To a certain degree, it's almost like people are killing that potential before it even gets off the ground. Today's hardware is even more than powerful enough to handle the increased accuracy of hit box locations that going to that medium would and could use.

The other part of me agrees with what Playmore is trying to do. It's kind of a sad fact that companies, these days, often survive or thrive off of 3D. If a company can't make the successful leap to 3D, they die off. It seems the same no matter the level of interaction or quality of game. Even if you take something like a GTA license. A 2D version wont sell more than a hill of beans that's been stepped on, but if they make a 3D version, it sells through the roof, providing the company with more than enough finances.

That's why I consider stuff like KOF Maximum Impact a novel effort. It's not up to par with the 2D series, IMO, but it's an amazing improvement over every other 3D effort SNK or Playmore has ever put out. It's not only competant, but it does rival Capcom's 2D made 3D fighters. Not to mention, probably the most spookingly accurrate 3D representations of the 2D fighters I've seen. I certainly didn't expect them to come across, appearance-wise, like they did. Still, it was a first effort which says a lot for what they could so with a second. Tweaking here and there, maybe some new system direction and fixing what little aspects players have mentioned. In this business, a fighting game only needs small discrepancies to turn it from great to bad, with this critical crowd; so I tend to see things by how close they got it. It's not like that last 3D Samurai Shodown for PSX, in which I had issues with the actual fight system, more than anything. The way they did the life bars, how supers were handled, outside of just cruddy execution in putting the fighters into 3D, in both movement and control. I'm not even touching upon the graphics.

The main issue I have with this new Metal Slug is that I really haven't seen anything on it. The screenshots show nothing of the gameplay and as anybody knows, you have not seen a Metal Slug until you've seen its gameplay in Motion. Heck, still screens of the title and in-game graphics of a 2D metal Slug tell us nothing about what would make it good, with the exception that if they look close enough to what the last Slug looked like, we know mostly what to expect in gameplay. That's just from seeing those familiar sprites.

The thing is, the mainstream crowd of yesteryear isn't the mainstream crowd of today. There was a time when Contra fans, and good ol fans of 2D platform shooters, like us, were in the majority. Now, we are just enough to turn a small profit, from potentially a lot of work. While games like Socom make the bucks for their somewhat arcade approach and 3rd-person 3D view. There could be some potential here, given the success of games like Lucasarts' Mercenaries. I'd love to see the Metal Slug series continue in 2D, and I hope it does; but I'm somewhat curious if it can potentially break into a higher profit zone with this incarnation. Maybe cause a stir that can gain more followers into the arcade-shooter mentality that has been somewhat lost, in these times. Mercenaries was a start, it got people back into the idea that blowin'-junk-up can be a good and entertaining thing, but outside of the (get into vehicle thing (which has been a staple of gaming introduced by SNK way back since they did scrolling shooters)) it lacks the Metal Slug touch, nor the feeling of steady progression through linear-branching paths that could lead you into just about anything(and through multiple different environments in one mission). And of course, none of the Metal Slug humor.

Could it be bad? Sure, it has the potential to be bad, like a lot of previous efforts. But in a strange turn of events, while some have lost faith in Playmore's method of doing 2D games; I have more faith in Playmore's ability to make good out of a 3D experience than old SNK ever had.

I'm willing to take a wait and see approach, even though I'll probably be in line to pick it up (They just know I'd pick up just about anything with Fio Germi in it).

Last edited:

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
I REALLY hope that its an experiment or they are going to make em parallel with the 2d ones.

Even though I'm not happy with the leap I must say that the character models don't look half bad, they seem to atleast have some life/personality.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
Metal Slug 3D = Battallion Wars to me.

Battalion Wars is something to look forward, at least.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Battalion Wars is so not Metal Slug. It's not even in the same sub-genre. It looks good, but I don't expect it to play like Metal Slug. Even the advertised gameplay requires different mechanics of gameplay.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
It looks alot better than the original tech demo we were seeing.

Hopefully the fixed the maps and enemies too.

Youre all a bunch of whiney fags.

Neco_Coneco

Enemy Chaser
Kirk Foiden said:
Funny enough, these days, I'm torn about Playmore's position...

I just wanted to say this is the best post I have read on these forums. I am going to make a point to read all your posts that I come across. :buttrock:

games_sk

Mr. Big's Thug
Hopefully this game will be good. However, they should think of a more original title. The name "evolution" has been used plenty of times! :)

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
Madoka is just to cute! when she is carrying that huge! ass backpack & she seems to get lost a lot & when you shoot her huge! backpack food falls out while she falls down on the ground & she gets back up to salute before running off. :kekeke: That always cracks me up in the Metal Slug series. :tickled: :cool:

Hopefully the 3-D version will be good like the 2-D version is & if the 3-D one doesn't work out then they should just stay in 2-D then. :cool: :)

Last edited:

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Actually, her name was Rumi Aikawa, in the Metal Slug series. The backpack carrying girl. Actually, I think you have to touch her, not shoot her, to get her to do that, but yeah, she's cool like that. Kind of like most of the cast.

It's funny how, you're in the middle of this crazy war yet you have so many colorful characters running around, all casual-like. Sometimes it seems they don't have a care in the world and they are just IN their element. In a way, it kind of reminds me of Shermie or Angel, in KOF. Battles galore, emotions flare, but they take everything they do in stride, seem right in their element, (and at times, just having fun during that whole mess).

While Eri is often seen as the angry one, in general, the carefree attitude of most Metal Slug girls are probably the main asset of how they get fans. :) For me, Fio simply rocks because her standing, melee attacks, and level clear animations are the apitamy of that description; plus she wears the speccies. :)

As for the Evolution name, go figure. Maybe they'll name their next Metal Slug with another previous used subtitle, of theirs. Metal Slug Chaos? Metal Slug Maximum Impact? Metal Slug Tanka? (yup, horrible pun intended)

Oh, and thanks Neco.

Last edited:

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
Kirk Foiden said:
Actually, her name was Yumi Aikawa, in the Metal Slug series. The backpack carrying girl. Actually, I think you have to touch her, not shoot her, to get her to do that, but yeah, she's cool like that. Kind of like most of the cast.

It's funny how, you're in the middle of this crazy war yet you have so many colorful characters running around, all casual-like. Sometimes it seems they don't have a care in the world and they are just IN their element. In a way, it kind of reminds me of Shermie or Angel, in KOF. Battles galore, emotions flare, but they take everything they do in stride, seem right in their element, (and at times, just having fun during that whole mess).

While Eri is often seen as the angry one, in general, the carefree attitude of most Metal Slug girls are probably the main asset of how they get fans. :) For me, Fio simply rocks because her standing, melee attacks, and level clear animations are the apitamy of that description; plus she wears the speccies. :)

As for the Evolution name, go figure. Maybe they'll name their next Metal Slug with another previous used subtitle, of theirs. Metal Slug Chaos? Metal Slug Maximum Impact? Metal Slug Tanka? (yup, horrible pun intended)

Oh, and thanks Neco.

I forgot about Yumi Aikawa & sometimes I see a name Madoka. :D :kekeke:

Fio either eats a sandwich, sneezes or shivers when cold & Fio is my favorite character that I mostly play as. :D :cool: