Discolored consoles

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
I've heard some people refer to a 'smokers special' console when you have a dirty or discolored case. But I don't smoke and I don't know why my SNES is that creepy yellow.

Anyone know what causes this and is there any thing to clean it up?

BoyProdigy

Crossed Swords Squire
I'd like to know this as well. My SNES is all yellow yet no one in my house has EVER smoked.

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
The snes case is made with a certain chemical that yellows over time.

cps2

Goal! Goal! Goal!
Maybe its the plastic it reacts with stuff in the air not just smoke but maybe other stuff in the atmosphere

Weirdguy

Overtop Pathfinder
Some SNES will yellow over time, some don't.

The sun has a major role in this. The ones that won't yellow were made in Japan. When they transfered the production to Mexico, the yellowing generation started.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
My SNES was packed in its plastic/box for several years in an air-conditioned home and when i decided to pull it out (after college) it had Hepatitis!

WTF!

northernsoul

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
Again like mentioned above the older models wont goe stale. I have 3 Snes systems. My first one (made in Japan) is still perfect grey. My gamer system (made in Mexico) looks like i smoke 50 a day right in front of my Snes, and last my Snes junior (made in Japan) is still as grey as the day it left the factory. Guess it is something used in the manufacturing process, which consists of a cheaper or inferior plastic used in Mexico. Oh and just like the anti-smoking ads about yellow fingers there is absolutly no way to wash the colour off. Once yellow forever yellow.

Last edited:

northernsoul

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
If intersested and anal like me. I can get Snes tops from work, ones that are nice and gear. All you have to do is simply replace them with your nasty yellow one.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Where it was made must be the ticket and not age of system because my Snes was bought during original release which would be considered "old" but yet it still has hepatitis.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Although smoke does not yellow it, Smoking can help catalyze the proccess.

soopafamicom

Windjammers Wonder
Blaine said:
I've heard some people refer to a 'smokers special' console when you have a dirty or discolored case. But I don't smoke and I don't know why my SNES is that creepy yellow.

Anyone know what causes this and is there any thing to clean it up?

It's when the casings are made from recycled plastic.'Virgin' plastic is made in its vat or whatever to be a certain colour and so will usually stay that colour for a very,very long time.

When plastic is recycled,all shades are all mulched up together and then different agents are added to bring the shades together.One colour,Titanium Oxide(white)is prone to absorbing moisture from the air and goes yellow over time.Sometimes companies even add chalk to the mix to get the shades right.