consolised MVS questions from UK newbie!

mannion

n00b
Hi, im new to this board!

My brother used to have an AES system when i was too young to appreciate it, and having got tired of my mame cab and selling it I am now trying to consolise a 4 slot MVS board.

I know that an ATX power supply from a PC can be used but i was wondering if there are any other options. Ideally, i want a power supply wich i can simply solder a DIN connector onto and plug into a DIN socket i will fit to the motherboard.

I want it to look a bit more professional and complete than a hacked ATX supply.

Any ideas? (I am in the UK if that helps)

Also, having studied the pin outs am i right in assuming i can simply solder a scart connector by the relevant pins and connect straight to my scart TV?

Any help will be greatly appreciated as i am desperate to join the neo community.

Many thanks in advance

Adamaki

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I'm nearly done consolising my 2-slot board so I may be able to help you out with a few things. Have a look at my thread and it may answer some of your questions.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117523

This is the power supply I used:

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/st...archValue=sc200

I couldn't find any in the UK that have 5v and 12v output so had to get that one shipped over from the States. I've heard there may be a problem with boards with more slots as you require more amps from the power supply, so I'm not 100% sure if that power supply will power a 4-slot or not.

You could install a scart socket for your output but there's a few problems with that. They're usually made for surface mounting on a pcb so it's probably not very easy to solder wires to the pins. Also they're fixed to the case from the inside so you'd have to cut a perfect scart-shaped hole in the case otherwise it'd look a mess. I decided to go with an 8 pin din socket, the same as the aes output. Much easier to install and it uses the same cable as the aes. It's up to you though.

Hope that's of some help.

Good luck with your project.

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
The SC200 will power a 4-slot, but not a 6-slot

mannion

n00b
<Dumbest question ever> If i buy a SC200 will i also need to use a power transformer to power my MVS console in the uk </Dumbest question ever>

Dalle

n00b
i found it very easy to solder to the scart connector (i used one that was for pcb mounting) and im using a bare (no casing, yet) ATX psu for my board, works like a charm, but i need to find the 5v pot on it cause i dont like the 5,38 that its spitting out, a bit to high imho (or is it?)... but i need to see if i can find something smaller :-) so far im a V0.1 in consolizing my machine and its cost me less than £5 to make it functional ^_^ (1 scart connector, 2 rca plugs and 2m single shielded single conductor cable)

[thread hijack] what alternative psu could i use for my 6 slot? [/thread hijack]

Adamaki

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
mannion said:
<Dumbest question ever> If i buy a SC200 will i also need to use a power transformer to power my MVS console in the uk </Dumbest question ever>

No because the sc200 has a standard 3 prong socket (just like on a pc) and is rated for 110v to 240v. All you need is a power lead from any electronics or computer shop so you can plug it into the wall socket.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
mannion said:
i want a power supply wich i can simply solder a DIN connector onto and plug into a DIN socket i will fit to the motherboard.

Standard din plugs/sockets are a little lite-on to connect to any arcade board set imho, let alone a 4 slot mvs. Consider a XLR, much heavier duty.
;)

762-695.jpg