Einhander needs a sequel!

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Such a good game. Did it not sell well at the time? Does a sequel already exist, and I'm just uninformed? Damnit Square! Give us some shooter love, you don't just have to make sequels to RPG's! :mad:

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Preach it brother. It's such a great game, and with the systems we have these days, we could have a shooter that looked like Gradius V with the gameplay Einhander brought us.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Agreed - terrific shooter, and I still give it a whirl from time to time.

I really like the weapons systems - gives you tons of options to choose from.

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
Don't forget the wonderful soundtrack.

Thermosphere... mmm...

Arcader

New Challenger
Yep definitely a great game. I remember when I first got it, I stayed up all nite until I finished it (it hooked me). Hopefully they make a sequel to this great game.

BTW did anyone notice that one of the bosses was exactly like that bug from Starship Troopers (the one that fires balls out of its arse).

barf

Maxima's Barber
Yes fantastic game i aould love a sequel or a PSP port (rhmm rhmm ^^). I love especialy how there are cross paths (like if you destroy only the "pod" of the cop robot in the first level, if you don t destroy anything, or if you destroy it all)

But iirc at release Square said it was and will be its one and only shmup, so... enjoy :I

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
PinkPeach said:
Yes fantastic game i aould love a sequel or a PSP port (rhmm rhmm ^^). I love especialy how there are cross paths (like if you destroy only the "pod" of the cop robot in the first level, if you don t destroy anything, or if you destroy it all)

But iirc at release Square said it was and will be its one and only shmup, so... enjoy :I

That's a damn shame. :confused: I wonder why they only decided to make one shooter? Since when does Square not sequels!?

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
Square tries odd games out time to time. I wouldn't mind playing Soukaigi someday, but that's probably another idea Square will never return to.

barf

Maxima's Barber
Ely13 said:
Square tries odd games out time to time. I wouldn't mind playing Soukaigi someday, but that's probably another idea Square will never return to.

And because they are square with a red trianle, so something does not go round with them :P (i am proud of that one)

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
PinkPeach said:
And because they are square with a red trianle, so something does not go round with them :P (i am proud of that one)
o_O

Do not confound me with your licentious French logic.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Why does the game need a sequal? If it's such a good game why not just play it? :spock:

barf

Maxima's Barber
ForeverSublime said:
Why does the game need a sequal? If it's such a good game why not just play it? :spock:

Like seeing RType Final over RType Delta, i would like the same kind of cosmetical treatment to be given to Einhander.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
I can't think of a constructive reply without sounding like a snobby game zealot.

Carry on.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
I'd say the real crime is that the whole 'hacking/stealing' weapons thing never really caught on in other shooters

It was really sorta fun- like the 'coersion' of enemies in Darius Gaiden

Gives a sense of freedom and is a cool play mechanic

Kiken

Camel Slug
neobuyer said:
I'd say the real crime is that the whole 'hacking/stealing' weapons thing never really caught on in other shooters

It was really sorta fun- like the 'coersion' of enemies in Darius Gaiden

Gives a sense of freedom and is a cool play mechanic

Gaiares for MD/Genesis had a hacking/stealing power-up system.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
G-Darius did a good job with that system. You could just steal enemies, of course always trying to get the big ones (always fish). While I'm on the topic, Taito needs to make one last "Darius Final", or something like it. R-typre final looks awesome, really topped Delta, not a huge fan of Delta. Getting back to topic, they made a Bushido Blade 2, and it was awesome. Better than the first in every way.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Macross for the Super Famicom uses the "stealing" system, too. Been done a bunch of times... usually in platformers, I suppose.

barf

Maxima's Barber
Blazeon was the definition of stealing system :P you steal enemies ships completely. Not a great shooter (too many pauses without anything hapening) but there are nice times in it.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
I forgot about blazeon. Good shooter, but not great.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
If they would do a remake of Einhänder, who the hell would buy it? Only a handful of nostalgia gamers like you and I. R-type hasn't been put out to pasture for no reason. Kids nowadays don't want shooters, they want the next GTA. Einhänder sold like rotten bananas and even though it is one of the most original shooters out there, the "public" has disagreed by simply not buying the game. I think it won't be long before Gradius gets killed off as well(unless they go Hollywood on it, which I doubt). Shame, really... :crying:

mannerbot

New Challenger
Gaston said:
If they would do a remake of Einhänder, who the hell would buy it? Only a handful of nostalgia gamers like you and I.

Is someone forgetting that the Square-Enix logo will be on the box?

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
That is a good point. Just put "From the makers of FF", and you have some marketing. Even if they just slightly updated the graphics and such, and put it out as a budget title, I would buy that. I guess Square doesn't do too many budget titles.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Yeah, it's fairly expensive, but it's probably only going to get more so.