PDA

View Full Version : A moment of Silence for the passing of a member: Sifl

aria
05-17-2005, 12:16 AM
It is with great regret that Charlie and I have to report the passing of another one of our Community's solid members: Sifl. The cause was likely complications from a brain tumor. For those of us that remember posting with him, it is a great loss. He was a valued member of the community.

Sifl was one of the founding members of Neo-Geo.com, joining in on 10-13-2000. He was an active poster, only taking lulls when his work for the United States Navy took more of his time. While he loved serving his country, he was less than thrilled about being posted in a weather station in Iceland which led to his frequent visits to the Forums. Sifl was sent back to his home in Wisconsin when it was discovered that he had a brain tumor, which he noted on the forums here (http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40054). He went through brain surgery and numerous treatments, and his posting on the forums became less frequent.

His final post was on 08-27-2003, noting that his favorite beer was Rolling Rock. His last recorded activity (likely a visit) was on the site was on 11-03-2003, he died just over a month later. I'd noticed his lack of activity this past year, but hoped for the best. I posted about it in the "old member" thread in Unrelated, and Charlie found the obit --confirming the worst.

Obit from Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (http://www.jsonline.com/news/racine/dec03/195685.asp)

Racine County Obituaries
From the Journal Sentinel
Posted: Dec. 27, 2003

Frank Allan Allds Jr., 22
Services were Dec. 20 for Frank Allan Allds Jr., who died Dec. 17. He was 22.

He was serving as an AG3 Aerographer in the U.S. Navy.

Survivors include his father, Frank Allds Sr. of Oak Creek, and his mother and stepfather, Jackye (John) Mickelson of Wheatland; one sister, Lauren Allds of Lake Geneva; and his grandparents, Duke (Jan) Smith, Carol Smith and Doug (Lynn) Allds.

The Schuette-Daniels Funeral Home, 625 S. Browns Lake Drive, Burlington, handled the arrangements.

Image from the Photo Album:

http://www.neo-geo.com/reviews/memberpics/ind-qz/FAllds.jpg
CAPTION: Behold Magnificent Icelandic Weather.
Naval Air Station Keflavik, Iceland

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/member.php?u=141

Sifl took his username from one of his favorite sites, Sifl 'n Olly (http://www.sifl-n-olly.com/).

A memorial page, like those created for SNK4EVER and Jigen will be created. This thread will be kept open as a memorial thread and linked to that page.

It is with great sadness that the Neo-Community must bid farewell to another member.

Frank, the entire NG.com Community raises a Rolling Rock to Heaven for you.

Evil Wasabi
05-17-2005, 12:23 AM
Yeah, he was definitely a major personality from the old days of neo-geo.com. I never put 2 and 2 together until Bobak was talking about him earlier. I hope the best for his family and friends. I know he'll be playing the neogeo in the sky.

Orpheus
05-17-2005, 12:23 AM
This is so very sad.
All of these fellow members that we are losing, so young.
My deepest condolences go out to his family and friends.

he was one of the first here along with my self and others. I enjoyed his posts and just his being here alltogether.His presence here on the forums will be missed.

roker
05-17-2005, 12:36 AM
that sucks

and I never even knew the guy

:annoyed:

Hecker
05-17-2005, 12:36 AM
Oh God...

RIP

FeelGood
05-17-2005, 12:58 AM
its a shame. never really talked to him but i recognized his user name and member pic. :crying:

AztekNinja
05-17-2005, 01:33 AM
Damn, he died way back in '03? So young.....death accompanies us everyday.....whether we accept it or not.....who knows how many members here died that are less known....life is precious....

BIG BEAR
05-17-2005, 02:13 AM
Very sorry to read about this as I remember him being a very active part of the community here..You figure people get fed up alot and just move on with other interests.
This announcement is better late than not at all and his pesence will be sorely missed.
-BB

NeoDragoN
05-17-2005, 02:23 AM
I remember him well definately had a strong character and made me laugh more than a few times. I had noticed he had stopped posting for quite a while and tbh always wondered why, i did'nt know about the brain tumour untill i saw Bobak post in the old members surfacing thread.

I never even thought it would come to this.

RIP Good Buddy!

TemJin3000
05-17-2005, 02:31 AM
even tho i didnt know him that well, its always a shock to me when someone, especially on this board, passes on...

RIP, good sir.

qube
05-17-2005, 02:35 AM
Wow....

So weird that you kind of forget about a user when they don't post for awhile, you never think that death is the reason.

We've lost too many on this site in the past few years, and my condolences go out once again :(

I'm glad candycab was alright after his incident a year back or so, as these threads are becoming far too common around here....

Lets hope this is the last one we see for a long long time.

Q-

Vernon
05-17-2005, 03:15 AM
I have never known him but I am very sorry for this....

what can I only say: Rest In Peace man.

RabbitTroop
05-17-2005, 03:23 AM
He was a good guy, he'll be missed. Just seeing that old James Garner sig of his brought me back a few years. Rest in peace.

LWK
05-17-2005, 03:51 AM
He was a member here, but he was also my friend. He always supported me and never once did he turn his back on me. He deserves the highest honor of respect from everyone here for his fandom of the neo, his contributions to the site.. He was as hardcore as they come.

I remember seeing him comment on his condition here and it was really shocking to me. I'm sad to hear he has passed on. He was a good man and his memory here will always live on.
We fought NGF back in the day, he was a fan of Iori in KOF.

He was my friend and I will never forget him.

Late
05-17-2005, 03:53 AM
Yeah, I remember having some good fights with him when the us went to afghanistan, which always ended in he calling me a communist, or "Living too close to Russia"

Rip.

Lawrence Blood
05-17-2005, 04:02 AM
I barely knew the guy, since I joined. From what I have heard about him, he was a really great guy to talk to. Like the other said, my condolences to all of his family and friends.

I know Im not very good at these, especially with people I don't know very well but...I know that if he was still alive, I would have been honored to call him "friend."

BBH
05-17-2005, 04:21 AM
wow, that sucks. :( of course I remember him, mainly because he posted in some Shock Troopers threads. That pretty much automatically made him a cool person in my book. Actually I even remember him being the first one to get the username Iori, and then changed it over to Sifl (back when the forums actually allowed you to change your username manually).

Rest in peace, man. :(

Fox1
05-17-2005, 04:37 AM
Man, sorry to hear this...:( may he rest in peace

k'_127
05-17-2005, 04:47 AM
so sorry to hear about this. may he rest in peace.

Ely13
05-17-2005, 05:04 AM
RIP sailor.

soulthug
05-17-2005, 05:32 AM
:crying:
R.I.P man, Hope your battering Elvis on KOF '98 in heaven!

Kazuya_UK
05-17-2005, 05:50 AM
I remember him from a long time back, and I think I remember reading reviews he wrote. Really sad to hear that he passed away, I remember him being a very cool guy. :crying:

Kaz

Diavle18
05-17-2005, 06:16 AM
My condolences to his family and friends.

EvilMike
05-17-2005, 06:53 AM
"Yes, that's right. Two hundred dollars a day, plus expenses."

Who could forget that sig.

I'm sure it's nicer than Iceland where you are now with a Rolling Rock and a Neo stick. Peace Bro.

Baseley09
05-17-2005, 07:05 AM
Good luck wherever you are now man.

Robert
05-17-2005, 08:04 AM
When I read the title of the thread, the name reminded me something but I couldn't clearly identify who he was.

After reading the thread, I remember now. Never really talked to him (just answering to his post), but I remember his sig.

Toutes mes condoleances.

Kpj
05-17-2005, 08:34 AM
Very sorry to hear about this. I wish the best for his friends & family.

R.I.P.

BryLmoo
05-17-2005, 11:31 AM
even in the end, everything is okay.
cancer will be beaten one day,
until then, lets remember sifl

ng.com remembers sifl for his courage.
cancer is not an easy passing, but
he is at peace now, and not suffering anymore.

rest in eternal peace my friend. you've earned it. ;)

Tom
05-17-2005, 11:39 AM
My condolences to his family and friends.

SonGohan
05-17-2005, 11:40 AM
Just terrible. I definitely remember him and it's sad to see him pass.

rarehero
05-17-2005, 11:50 AM
man, i remember chatting with him and seeing him on the boards back in the day.
sorry to hear about his passing even if it's belated.

Kazuki Dash
05-17-2005, 11:50 AM
It's always a sad thing when someone passes, and my thoughts & condolences are for his family and all who mourn him

Atro
05-17-2005, 12:03 PM
Rest in peace.

:oh_no:

gozaimas
05-17-2005, 12:25 PM
Thanks for letting us know Bobak. Its always healthy when a slice of reality, however painful, touches the unreality of forums like this. Makes everyone think about how they act on the internet hopefully.

Rest in peace.

C.A.R25
05-17-2005, 12:31 PM
It is with great regret that Charlie and I have to report the passing of another one of our Community's solid members: Sifl. The cause was likely complications from a brain tumor. For those of us that remember posting with him, it is a great loss. He was a valued member of the community.

Sifl was one of the founding members of Neo-Geo.com, joining in on 10-13-2000. He was an active poster, only taking lulls when his work for the United States Navy took more of his time. While he loved serving his country, he was less than thrilled about being posted in a weather station in Iceland which led to his frequent visits to the Forums. Sifl was sent back to his home in Wisconsin when it was discovered that he had a brain tumor, which he noted on the forums here (http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40054). He went through brain surgery and numerous treatments, and his posting on the forums became less frequent.

His final post was on 08-27-2003, noting that his favorite beer was Rolling Rock. His last recorded activity (likely a visit) was on the site was on 11-03-2003, he died just over a month later. I'd noticed his lack of activity this past year, but hoped for the best. I posted about it in the "old member" thread in Unrelated, and Charlie found the obit --confirming the worst.

Obit from Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (http://www.jsonline.com/news/racine/dec03/195685.asp)

Image from the Photo Album:

http://www.neo-geo.com/reviews/memberpics/ind-qz/FAllds.jpg
CAPTION: Behold Magnificent Icelandic Weather.
Naval Air Station Keflavik, Iceland

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/member.php?u=141

Sifl took his username from one of his favorite sites, Sifl 'n Olly (http://www.sifl-n-olly.com/).

A memorial page, like those created for SNK4EVER and Jigen will be created. This thread will be kept open as a memorial thread and linked to that page.

It is with great sadness that the Neo-Community must bid farewell to another member.

Frank, the entire NG.com Community raises a Rolling Rock to Heaven for you.

I wish I knew him... I hope he is in a better place now and that his family and loved ones find peace.

dragonwillow
05-17-2005, 01:21 PM
He looks to be a good guy.

RIP.

The_Chosen_One
05-17-2005, 01:27 PM
I never talked with him, but like others remember the sig as it's hard to forget. It's never good for this world to lose a Neo fan.

Joe McCabe
05-17-2005, 01:29 PM
A great guy, I always wondered what happend to him. That's a shame to hear that, RIP. :(

super-saiya-jin
05-17-2005, 01:33 PM
RIP....

P00t
05-17-2005, 01:42 PM
:crying: R.I.P. Sifl

kernow
05-17-2005, 02:26 PM
damn shame

I remember his posts and his fondness of yukemobo shooters well

DanAdamKOF
05-17-2005, 02:32 PM
http://www.neo-geo.com/ubb/icons/icon20.gif RIP. I didn't know him well, but I've read some of his reviews. What a fan.

gemen
05-17-2005, 02:36 PM
Too young. R.I.P.

neobuyer
05-17-2005, 03:22 PM
OK old time members

What was Sifl's original user name?

Jigen's was Gokusama26 (I believe)

Sifl had another one originally too

RIP guy

c.t.h
05-17-2005, 03:27 PM
I remember seeing his picture in the photo album, and reading a few of his posts. RIP

chris1
05-17-2005, 03:31 PM
I didn't know him but........ RIP.. :crying:

Neo Bomber Man
05-17-2005, 03:34 PM
OK old time members

What was Sifl's original user name?

Jigen's was Gokusama26 (I believe)

Sifl had another one originally too

RIP guy

Iori. I'll never forget that. I had noticed he hadn't posted in quite some time like some others but never knew about the brain tumor, nor did I read the old members resurfacing thread so I missed it there too.

I still remember him posting quite a lot in the older days and thought he was a pretty decent member from his output, although I can't remember ever having spoken to him personally.

Rest in peace mate, and hopefully his family is coping.

Shapermc
05-17-2005, 03:53 PM
What the hell? I had just mentioned him back here (http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1488023&postcount=175). I could not remember what he changed his name to. He was the reason that I kept coming back here for a while. He was in the Navy, I am in the Coast Guard. I called him a Squid, he called me a Puddle Pirate as we are know to do in our services. This is really fucking sad.

Shit.

I don't want to hit the submit button, but I can't really think of anything else to say.

fucking hell, what a way to finish off work. Fucking hell, this is depressing. I wish his family well, but now I feel like such a heel. I mean, I should have kept in better touch with him. I knew him all the way 'til he went back to Wisconsin. I said we should meet up sometime as I am known to frequently visit family in southern Wisconsin. We never did. . .

screw this I am going home.

Good luck Iori! where ever you are.

SilverAngel
05-17-2005, 04:19 PM
My condolences to his family and friends R.I.P :crying:

neobuyer
05-17-2005, 04:21 PM
Thanks NBM, Iori, that was it.

The second old time member I was very familiar with back in the day... dead. Young and dead.

Jigen's was understandable- as he had bad Cystic Fibrosis, but Sifl? Shit that was out of left field wasn't it? Brain tumor. Damn.

I remember Silf liked Blazing Star alot. I used to say Pulstar was the shit and all, Sifl was a Blazing Star guy, like Wasabi.

Much love and respect to you Sifl,

Say hi to Jigen for me

Greywolf
05-17-2005, 04:54 PM
Rest in peace :crying:

andsuchisdeath
05-17-2005, 05:18 PM
R.I.P

TonK
05-17-2005, 05:58 PM
God Bless you man...

If you are somewhere, reading this, you will know that people care about you from all over the world!

Off topic: What was his original username? Iori?

NeoCverA
05-17-2005, 06:06 PM
I recognize the pic, never had the pleasure of posting along side him though. Have fun in the after-life bro!

racecar
05-17-2005, 06:45 PM
damn i don't even know what to said
R.I.P soildier!! my neighbour 's son passed away on sunday night he was only 20... :oh_no:

werejag
05-17-2005, 07:13 PM
did not know you, but wish i did, take care

Neo Ash
05-17-2005, 07:53 PM
My condolences to his family. I wish I had had the chance to know him.

SNKJorge
05-17-2005, 09:01 PM
RIP

dfx
05-19-2005, 08:50 AM
this is really sad...
rest in peace!

insaneben
05-19-2005, 09:40 AM
Way back in December 2002, I posted a scan of the cover of the (then) latest issue of Arcadia magazine. When I mentioned that Vice and Mature had made the cover, Sifl's reply was one filled with great joy and glee. Even though I can't remember what it was now, it still made me happy to hear such a positive response from a hardcore KOF fan.

It's a shame to hear that we never knew about his untimely demise until a year and a half later, but at least I'm glad I was able to please one longstanding member with but one post. Hats off to you, Sifl- you will be (and already are) greatly missed.

Liquid Snake
05-19-2005, 09:50 AM
May NeoGeo be with you :crying:

X
05-19-2005, 11:09 AM
Rest in peace Sifl.

Stephane
05-20-2005, 11:54 AM
Une bien triste nouvelle, et ca fait plus d un an que tu a disparu, mais nous ne t oublions pas, repose en paix !

http://www.neo-geo.com/ubb/Avatars/185.jpg

galfordo
05-20-2005, 03:44 PM
This is horrible - brain tumors are one of the cruelest afflictions a young person can be stricken with. Sifl was before my time, but seemed like a cool guy from what I read.

RIP man - hope you enjoy that gold-plated Neo in the sky.

Evil Wasabi
05-20-2005, 10:27 PM
Way back in December 2002, I posted a scan of the cover of the (then) latest issue of Arcadia magazine. When I mentioned that Vice and Mature had made the cover, Sifl's reply was one filled with great joy and glee. Even though I can't remember what it was now, it still made me happy to hear such a positive response from a hardcore KOF fan.

It's a shame to hear that we never knew about his untimely demise until a year and a half later, but at least I'm glad I was able to please one longstanding member with but one post. Hats off to you, Sifl- you will be (and already are) greatly missed.

My god, that's right! He was obsessed with Vice.
http://www.snkplaymore.jp/official/kof2002/chara/img/pro_vice02.gif

mookystains
05-22-2005, 02:18 PM
Thats horrible. He was a nice guy.

Gamefan
05-22-2005, 02:29 PM
So very sad to hear a fellow Neo Geo member gone. Rest in Peace and my condolences to the family.

GAMEFAN :(

cps2
05-22-2005, 02:36 PM
R.I.P :crying:

ShikiMikoto
05-26-2005, 02:19 AM
Oh...poor guy. Brain Tumor's a bad way to go. Well, my condolences to his friends and his family I hope he's at peace, wherever he is now...

He liked Vice? H'e san awesome guy in my book. heh...RIP, man. :(

genjiglove
05-26-2005, 02:25 AM
Rest in peace. No one should be taken that young.

KaedesDisciple
05-28-2005, 10:36 PM
I too, remember Sifl. Sorry to hear about his passing. One of my other friends is pretty much terminal with similar problems.

May the choirs of angels
Come to greet you
May they speed you to paradise
May the Lord enfold you
In His mercy
May you find eternal life

Rest in peace, brother

See you up there

Hot Chocolate
05-28-2005, 10:41 PM
Didn't talk to him much but he was one of the posters I rember seeing a lot of

R.I.P. my friend

RamonG
05-28-2005, 11:09 PM
Rest in Peace.
My condolences to his family.

vishema
06-03-2005, 10:51 AM
This is truly shocking!! He was a nice fella. :confused: My prayers and thoughts for his family and freinds. :confused:

ttooddddyy
06-10-2005, 02:48 AM
It only seems like yesterday

RIP Sifl

Ukyo
06-18-2005, 05:59 PM
he was a good guy; always very positive.

aria
06-21-2005, 03:44 PM
he was a good guy; always very positive.

Whoa... where have you been?

Good to see you're still at least lurking.

Hidden Character
06-27-2005, 03:47 PM
God rest his soul now and forever.

Lee Gray
06-27-2005, 04:43 PM
Very sad indeed, hes long been at peace now

Atro
06-27-2005, 04:54 PM
My condolences to his family.

sad news indeed.

may his soul rest in peace.

duolon
07-10-2005, 08:29 PM
R.I.P.
Now you're in a world where suffering in non-existant and you can be happy. You will live on in all of us. I wish the best of luck to his friends and family.

Poonman
07-18-2005, 09:21 PM
I hesitated to post anything since the way he went hits pretty close to home with me. I found this...discouraging.

God keep him.

Buro Destruct
07-19-2005, 03:36 AM
Wow, first time in a long time I check News & Rumors and I see this.

Rest in peace good sir.