PDA

View Full Version : Metal Slug documentary on TV (divx recording)

Howdoin
05-15-2005, 10:48 AM
GameOne (The French equivalent to G4TechTV) just broadcasted a 26mn documentary on Metal Slug.

Thanks CrumbY for hosting the 187MB file : http://xpfr.free.fr/ms/

It's in French but I think that member BoyProdigy wants to make a subtitles version of the show.

The show is pretty good and covers many aspect like : the history, the design, conversions, rarity...

Hmkay
05-15-2005, 11:23 AM
I think it's funny how Playmore acts like MS1-3 is their work... (they did the same on the KoF 10th anniversary site, with the older KoFs)
It's all part of the "Playmore is SNK" brainwashing. :rolleyes:

However, Playmore has been very nice with the French journalists / fans... Which is just sweet.

mungrin
05-15-2005, 12:37 PM
I think it's funny how Playmore acts like MS1-3 is their work... (they did the same on the KoF 10th anniversary site, with the older KoFs)

However, Playmore has been very nice with the French journalists / fans... Which is just sweet.

Isnt the CE/owner Kawasaki or whatever,wasnt he the original founder/Ceo of SNK?
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6089278/p-23.html

Hmkay
05-15-2005, 12:40 PM
Isnt the CE/owner Kawasaki or whatever,wasnt he the original founder/Ceo of SNK?
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6089278/p-23.html
Yeah well, I'm aware of that. Doesn't change my point... A CEO doesn't make a game all by himself.
That chick in the video acts like "they" have been working on the first Slugs, while very few of them must be from the original team, if anyone...

P00t
05-15-2005, 12:52 PM
Good video, I wish I spoke and understood french....it got on my nerves abit.

Heres the direct video link:
http://www.sokutsu.com/PCE/metal_slug.avi

Hmkay
05-15-2005, 12:54 PM
Heres the direct video link
I know you don't speak French, but the guy on the page says to either link to the page and not directly to the video, or to host it yourself. Howdoin didn't link to it for a reason...

P00t
05-15-2005, 01:06 PM
I know you don't speak French, but the guy on the page says to either link to the page and not directly to the video, or to host it yourself. Howdoin didn't link to it for a reason...

Life sucks.
Either way it wont make a difference. just saving people time.

Hmkay
05-15-2005, 01:09 PM
Heh... Moron.

Ebs
05-15-2005, 01:36 PM
GameOne (The French equivalent to G4TechTV) just broadcasted a 26mn documentary on Metal Slug.

Member Hmkay just posted a link to download the divx recording of the show and you can find it right here:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119243

or directly on this page : http://sokutsu.com/breve.php3?id_breve=2306

When on the page click the "la video du reportage" link to download or watch it.

It's in French but I think that member BoyProdigy wants to make a subtitles version of the show.

The show is pretty good and covers many aspect like : the history, the design, conversions, rarity...

Cheers for posting a link to the video, looks great!.

If BoyProdigy could get some subtitles together, I'm sure everyone would appreciate it.

BoyProdigy
05-15-2005, 02:24 PM
I'll be translating this dirty whore for all you anglos. :buttrock:

subtitles only, cause I'm sure no one wants to hear my voice doing everyone in the whole show.

Hecker
05-15-2005, 02:27 PM
In the video they mention that SNK was bought by Playmore which they said is a Korean company. However, I always tought that Playmore was created by Kawasaki and that it was a Japanese company from the start.

Lashujin
05-15-2005, 03:16 PM
Metal slug 3D footage.....interesting, but still looks crappy.

P00t
05-15-2005, 03:37 PM
I'm sure no one wants to hear my voice doing everyone in the whole show.

Ohhhhh go on dude, that would be great.
Do squiky voices for the ladys, and a gay voice for the presenter....which would be about right for the french :p

BoyProdigy
05-15-2005, 03:47 PM
haha, you didn't see the end where the guys kiss I'm guessing. I'm French Canadian, thank god we don't do that fruity stuff.

Hmkay
05-15-2005, 04:02 PM
Just because 2 guys kiss on the cheek, they're gay, or that is gay ?
Not really... It's lame how some people are constantly afraid people will say or think they're gay, so they watch everything they say or do, and try to look and sound manly... Heh, I'll leave it at that...

And the guy decided to kiss him to thank him for the Metal Slug 5 kit, he was just showing his gratefulness... something some people here completely lack, and that's been proven in this very topic.

On a side note, the presenter does seem kind of gay in the intro.

Ebs
05-15-2005, 08:39 PM
I'll be translating this dirty whore for all you anglos. :buttrock:

subtitles only, cause I'm sure no one wants to hear my voice doing everyone in the whole show.

Cheers mate :)

...It's times like these when I wish I'd spent more time paying attention in GCSE French...Actually, this is the only time!. :kekeke:

BoyProdigy
05-15-2005, 08:46 PM
Just because 2 guys kiss on the cheek, they're gay, or that is gay ?
Not really... It's lame how some people are constantly afraid people will say or think they're gay, so they watch everything they say or do, and try to look and sound manly... Heh, I'll leave it at that...

And the guy decided to kiss him to thank him for the Metal Slug 5 kit, he was just showing his gratefulness... something some people here completely lack, and that's been proven in this very topic.

On a side note, the presenter does seem kind of gay in the intro.

Yeah, I get that, but here in North America that is a :shame: . People that do that here are considered gay.

roker
05-15-2005, 09:30 PM

you're only partially correct

E.Kawasaki is the same owner of Playmore, who was the same owner of SNK

Problem is, when he regrouped the company, A LOT of people and teams disbanded.

Some members went to Sammy to make Guilty Gear, some went to Yuki, Dimps, Capcom (rumored), etc.

point being, that the heart and soul of SNK is mostly gone. I guess a few of the SNK guys are with Playmore, but most have moved on...

edit: I think I read somewhere that one of the original Metal Slug programmers is with Playmore

HellioN
05-15-2005, 10:03 PM
Wow...The French just got cooler in my book.
I would love to have this translated in any fasion.
ThankX!!

sQuareh4t3r
05-15-2005, 10:06 PM
In the video they mention that SNK was bought by Playmore which they said is a Korean company. However, I always tought that Playmore was created by Kawasaki and that it was a Japanese company from the start.
Kawasaki put together a few companies before the imminent demise of SNK, among those being Eolith and Playmore. They were both Korean companies, but later Playmore's corporate headquarters was moved to Osaka (like SNK before it) to help facilitate the resurrection of SNK and their product lines.

Hecker
05-15-2005, 10:16 PM
Kawasaki put together a few companies before the imminent demise of SNK, among those being Eolith and Playmore. They were both Korean companies, but later Playmore's corporate headquarters was moved to Osaka (like SNK before it) to help facilitate the resurrection of SNK and their product lines.

That makes sense. Thanks man.

EX_Andy
05-15-2005, 11:13 PM

Some members went to Sammy to make Guilty Gear, some went to Yuki, Dimps, Capcom (rumored), etc.

point being, that the heart and soul of SNK is mostly gone. I guess a few of the SNK guys are with Playmore, but most have moved on...

edit: I think I read somewhere that one of the original Metal Slug programmers is with Playmore

Considering that you, and the other naysayers in this thread, clearly know all SNK developers personally as well how each of their careers have unfolded, I'm sure you're absolutely, factually correct.

By the way, it takes more than programmers to make a game.

Thanks to the original poster for posting the video.

roker
05-15-2005, 11:16 PM
Considering that you, and the other naysayers in this thread, clearly know all SNK developers personally as well how each of their careers have unfolded, I'm sure you're absolutely, factually correct.

:rolleyes:

I'm only trying to make sense of why SNKP is vastly different from the original SNK

Hecker
05-15-2005, 11:24 PM

I'm only trying to make sense of why SNKP is vastly different from the original SNK

roker, you are a failure. You manipulate and deceive with questionable information. I hope you have learned your lesson and that you wil not recidivate.

Hmkay
05-16-2005, 02:35 AM

I still don't understand why you came up to say I was only partially correct, I can't see anything with what you said that contradits my statement. Heh.
Unless you were just there to show off about your knowledge of SNK ? O_o

roker
05-16-2005, 03:25 AM
I still don't understand why you came up to say I was only partially correct, I can't see anything with what you said that contradits my statement. Heh.
Unless you were just there to show off about your knowledge of SNK ? O_o

I was saying it because Playmore claiming they are SNK isn't necessarily a false statement.

I wasn't showing off. There is no reason to get defensive.

what kind of stupid shit is that?

roker
05-16-2005, 03:26 AM
roker, you are a failure. You manipulate and deceive with questionable information. I hope you have learned your lesson and that you wil not recidivate.

I don't know what recidivate means

now I will hold my head down in shame

Hmkay
05-16-2005, 03:37 AM
There is no reason to get defensive.

what kind of stupid shit is that?
I wasn't getting defensive. what kind of stupid shit is that? :rolleyes:

If Playmore really was SNK, they wouldn't have to make an announcement about it to reassure the fans... The quality of their games would speak by itself, which is obviously not the case.

RabbitTroop
05-16-2005, 03:38 AM
Fight! Fight! Hey Roker, Hmkay just said your mom was ugly!

roker
05-16-2005, 03:39 AM
I wasn't getting defensive. what kind of stupid shit is that? :rolleyes:

hey

come up with your own comeback phrase bucko

If Playmore really was SNK, they wouldn't have to make an announcement about it to reassure the fans... The quality of their games would speak by itself, which is obviously not the case.

ja!

I just said that in the original post that offended you for no reason

Hmkay
05-16-2005, 04:38 AM
Do you think you know me well enough to assume stuff, like how I take things or whether it hurt my feelings or not ? Haha... I just answered what I did because I thought how you popped up out of nowhere to rant about something we all knew already was pretty much pointless...

Oh, and if that's what you were trying to say in your other message, you need to express yourself better... O_o

You claim you already said what I said in your original message ? There isn't much in common between both statements, seriously, apart from the fact they both deal with SNK and SNKP...

Verythrax
05-16-2005, 09:09 AM
Give me a working link, please ;)

Howdoin
05-16-2005, 09:40 AM
Give me a working link, please ;)

Apparetnly *someone* posted a direct link to the page and it was taken down...

I have the file (about 200mb) so if anyone wants to host it or else we will have to wait till the subtitle is done to see it again.

Verythrax
05-16-2005, 09:42 AM
Apparetnly *someone* posted a direct link to the page and it was taken down...

I have the file (about 200mb) so if anyone wants to host it or else we will have to wait till the subtitle is done to see it again.

Send to verythrax@gmail.com

I can host it for a while - and the subtitles as well, if they will be in a separate file.

Ebs
05-16-2005, 10:20 AM
imo, this file is screaming for Bit Torrent hosting. :D

Howdoin
05-16-2005, 11:34 AM
Send to verythrax@gmail.com

I can host it for a while - and the subtitles as well, if they will be in a separate file.

Sorry but I cannot email 200MB...

Verythrax
05-16-2005, 11:35 AM

:( ;)

sQuareh4t3r
05-16-2005, 11:57 AM
http://www.yousendit.com

You can send files up to 1 GB via their servers. It's a pretty handy little website to know about. :D

Offreenday
05-16-2005, 01:24 PM
here edonkey link:

ed2k://|file|metal%20slug.AVI|252358656|21F5923E5EC9873DC 425E939784DA909|/

roker
05-16-2005, 01:25 PM
Oh, and if that's what you were trying to say in your other message, you need to express yourself better... O_o

dude!

wtf are you talking about?

We used to always say you were sensitive, but this tops the cake!

Howdoin
05-16-2005, 01:27 PM
I'll upload it when I get back home and CumbY offered to host for the downloads - stay tuned.

mungrin
05-16-2005, 02:27 PM
I just saw the video and i cant say they are claiming they made all the Metal Slugs or taking credit for everything because...i dont understand French.
I guess you guys do?

Howdoin
05-16-2005, 06:24 PM
CrumbY is uploading it on his server - you should be able to download from http://xpfr.free.fr/ms/ very soon.

werejag
05-17-2005, 07:44 PM
ekkk i wish i could undestand the language

NeoCverA
05-17-2005, 07:50 PM
Wasnt someone going to release this with SUBS?

BoyProdigy
05-17-2005, 09:35 PM
Wasnt someone going to release this with SUBS?
yeah yeah, give me a couple weeks atleast

NeoCverA
05-17-2005, 11:01 PM

Roger that! See you in 2.

enomosiki
05-18-2005, 05:02 PM
I've uploaded it to http://www.mslugdb.com/videos/metal_slug.avi for now.

HellioN
05-18-2005, 07:15 PM
That is the un-subbed version right?

enomosiki
05-18-2005, 11:03 PM
'fraid not. I was never urged to take courses in French.

ForeverSublime
05-19-2005, 12:25 AM

S'funny how we act like Slug 1 was SNK's work.

mungrin
05-19-2005, 11:41 AM
S'funny how we act like Slug 1 was SNK's work.

hahaha amen to that

cps2
05-29-2005, 04:14 PM
I was thinking that also

Nazca Own

cps2
05-29-2005, 05:03 PM
that video is awesome

NeoCverA
05-29-2005, 06:39 PM

So you think it will be done on Tues? Thats 2 weeks sir. :kekeke:

BoyProdigy
05-31-2005, 07:14 AM
haha, I have all the scripts done just need to do the timing of the subs, grrrrrrrr they're hard

beh3moth
05-31-2005, 07:50 AM
my G/F speaks fluent French so I had her sitiing in whilst I watched it, FFS those guys talk fast, and did you notice SNK/Playmore sent them a phantom 1?!!!!!!!!

Urbain03
05-31-2005, 12:43 PM
Thanks! This report is cool...

At one point of the show, they show the inside of the SNK headquarters... and they show an AES Neo with an MVS cartrdige in it. And, between the Neo and the cartrdige, there's some kind of unknown adapter which has obviously 2 cartrdige ports !!!

I wonder what is it...

ForeverSublime
05-31-2005, 03:14 PM
Thanks! This report is cool...

At one point of the show, they show the inside of the SNK headquarters... and they show an AES Neo with an MVS cartrdige in it. And, between the Neo and the cartrdige, there's some kind of unknown adapter which has obviously 2 cartrdige ports !!!

I wonder what is it...

I believe the "neo dev carts" had two slots. There was one on yahoo jp late last year, but from what I remember the ROMs on the board were of an already released game.

Still, something like that would be worth preserving. You never know what little secret may be hidden within the game. Whether it be a single unused frame of animation or an entire level hidden within the dips.

Urbain03
05-31-2005, 03:26 PM
Look what i found through google (about the dev cart)

http://members.tripod.com/fresa/proto/images/flyers/neodevcart.jpg

:eek:

(copy & paste the link)

edit: the adapter in the Metal Slug video in not as huge as that... it's only a little flat thing with 2 ports in it

here, i took a screenshot:

http://users.skynet.be/videos/adapter.jpg

FOMOCO&CO
06-01-2005, 02:19 PM
noob

Urbain03
06-03-2005, 05:19 PM
who? you?

Josh
06-07-2005, 06:20 PM
So whats up with the french members? One of you all should dub this AVI, in English. This documentary looks interesting, to bad we have no clue what they're sayin..

BoyProdigy
06-07-2005, 07:25 PM
So whats up with the french members? One of you all should dub this AVI, in English. This documentary looks interesting, to bad we have no clue what they're sayin..

Are you illiterate or just choose not to read?

Josh
06-10-2005, 08:27 PM
I somehow overlooked your posts. But anyways, thats cool, its good a fan is working on it. Thanks for lookin out.

Josh
07-18-2005, 01:07 AM
Are you illiterate or just choose not to read?

Youre still working on this right???

NeoCverA
07-18-2005, 01:26 AM
ah crap. I thought it had been done or something. Two weeks are long gone.

Curt
07-18-2005, 01:45 AM
ah crap. I thought it had been done or something. Two weeks are long gone.

Same here. :crying:

Someone sub this please!

enomosiki
07-19-2005, 04:50 PM
If someone can give me the translations and the timing of scenes/parts on when they are saying the lines, I can have it subbed with Virtualdub.

BoyProdigy
07-19-2005, 05:57 PM
If someone can give me the translations and the timing of scenes/parts on when they are saying the lines, I can have it subbed with Virtualdub.

I'll type that all up for you. I already have it. I just can't get the fuck ass dub program to work.

Bishamon
07-20-2005, 09:24 AM
I've been waiting for the subs as well. Glad someone brought it back up! :)

enomosiki
07-20-2005, 09:51 AM
Do you have the timing for the lines also? I can't distinguish when the narrator and the translators have ended certain lines in French.

If you do, you can send over the script over to one of my following e-mail addresses.

enomosiki@yahoo.com
enomosiki@hotmail.com
enomosiki@gmail.com

Take your pick.

OlderGames
07-30-2005, 11:27 AM
bump!

BoyProdigy
07-30-2005, 11:53 AM
I'm going to need some help from another French member (one from France, need help with the accent they have). They speak so fast, it's like they're on crack.

bUs
08-14-2005, 08:24 PM
Can anyone help this guy? It would be awesome with some subs!

super-saiya-jin
08-15-2005, 01:41 AM
I'm going to need some help from another French member (one from France, need help with the accent they have). They speak so fast, it's like they're on crack.
Shoot me a PM and ill see what i can do

Josh
09-28-2005, 11:59 PM
Subs would be great. And if the technology isnt too expensive, maybe after the subtitles are released, I can look into a crazy style dubbing of that hyperass narrator. :D

daybona
09-29-2005, 12:31 AM
me wantee.

AppleiDog
05-23-2006, 03:24 AM
Sorry for bumping this old thread but just wondering if anything has been done to Get a subtitled or Dubbed version of this.

zer0hue
05-24-2006, 01:48 AM
All I can say is this: there are some lazy-ass French people on this board...

Josh
05-24-2006, 11:25 AM
After a year, I beginning to think the task was simply just too much to handle for the French and Canadians member here. Too bad I was looking forward to a translation.

zer0hue
06-06-2006, 02:15 PM
I think Im going to bump this thread every week until this damn video is subtitled. Just think of me as the Andy Dufresne of NG.com...

GregN
06-06-2006, 02:31 PM
Someone at work told me that if you can speak Spanish, you can speak French.

Maybe all those illegal immigrants can finally make themselves useful.

barf
06-06-2006, 03:04 PM
I m downloading the video now (damn slow server), i ll write here the translation while watching it. (don t have time to do a synch timing for subs, sorry).

Don t expect much from gameone though, that channel is utter crap

edit:

Hi, I m Tomy
Welcome to GameOne Docs (documentaries).
Tonight on GameOne, an incredible event will happen.
You have a chance unheard of, because tonight, we will make you discover a documentary about Metal Slug.
Hnn ? Hnn ? you re falling on the floor like that, eh ? You don t know what that is ?
To put it straight, it s simply one of the best action games i ve ever seen and played.
*fake tears*
I love that game. Everybody love that game, and those who don t love it yet... we'll teach them to ! ... with tonight's doc.

We ll naturaly talk about history with Metal Slug 1,2,x,3,4,5... if that s not ringing a bell yet don t worry, that s soon going to.
I can assure you that you will be glad, as once you get into the 1st one, you cannot stop, you want more and more and more of that slug's love.
We ll talk about collection stuff, Metal Slug is one of the most sought-after game in the Game Collection marketplace, the first one is sold at about 2500 euros.

I can hear ya, Ouch, 2500 euros. That s a little normal, lemme explain.
At release the game was about 250 euros, but at that time, you could pimp around your friends, as Metal Slug got released on NeoGeo and that was the machine that had the same games at home and in the 'cades. You could tell your friends after school "Hey come play video games at home", you would plug your neogeo and the cartidge and then say "look, that s the game we played in the bar earlier". Classy, but that costs 250 euros. Well that DID cost 250euros, now that s much more.

We ll make you discover a new person at the same time, called BenShinobi, and i hate him since he can finish Metal Slug with 1 life in the most difficult setting and NOT ME, that s unbearable.

barf
06-06-2006, 05:38 PM
Thanks anyway for coming.

We want to thank Alex Pilot who has co-written and co-realized that doc with me, for 2 reasons
1) he s a metal slug fan
2) and because he s our Japan specialist

Anyway i wish you an excellent viewing on GameOne, Metal Slug changed my life, that documentary will change

yours.

[METAL SLUG]
- Metal Slug is THE neogeo game, the goal to achieve for every collector
- Metal Slug is the reference for 2D games
- Metal Slug is the Orgasmic Quintessence of 2D design, yey slug
- Metal Slug, I love you
- No kidding, Metal Slug is one idea per second
- To me Metal Slug is a pure 2 players experience.
- [girl] Metal Slug... too difficult for me
- Metal Slug is on the whole a dexterity matter
- Metal Slug... it s fucking expensive
- Metal Slug is rock'n roll
- Metal Slug is pixel-made perfection
- Metal Slug is the best way to find Saddam Hussein

OK, there are family traits, but Metal Slug is at first second degree humour.
It parodies War, troopers and army.
In an irresistible cartoony style, the Metal Slug humour is depected by a quasi-maniac attention to details

and animations all crafted with great care.

Metal Slug is a symbol of bullet-proof handling and crazy ideas.
Run, jump, shoot, dodge, hide, fall in admiration, get on your nerves a tad, laugh, to sum up... you just have

fun !

For even more fun, Metal Slug (or MS for friends), as a soft spot for vehicles. PLanes, helicopters, camels,

submarines, and the most important of them all: TANKS.

IN the videogames world, Metal Slug turns army into derision,litteraly it means "Limace de metal", reference

to the Tanks' caterpillar tracks.

It s in Oosaka, center of Japan, that Metal Slug creators can be found. At SNK.

Shinya Morishita:
Hello, and welcome at SNK.
Today is the first time we host a french TV show.
Please enter.

GO:
For worldwide gamers, this is the sanctuary. SNK is the manufacturer of NeoGeo, one of the highest rank in the

Consoles mythology.

NeoGeo is indeed a videogame console with an exceptional destiny.

It s in Japanese arcades that NeoGeo games first got release.
With a quasi-immediate success, SNK created a home version to play arcade-perfect games.
Quality as a price, and the games had a pricetage of around 250 euros.
Controllers follow the same spirit, with ultra-resistant sticks and large buttons.

2 cartidge types exist:
the first type is MVS, for the arcade cabs
the second is AES, with identical content but more polished casing aspect, sold with stickers and a box for

your room's decoration.

Of course Metal Slug is not the only NeoGeo game, almost a hundred titles got released.
Nam 1975 caught people off-guard with its astonishing visuals -for the time-.
10 years after its release date, BaseBall Stars 2 is still one of the gamers' favourite baseball arcade game.

Puzzle Bobble, got released for the first time on NeoGeo.

Some of the other games that might ring a bell: Last Resort the shmup, league Bowling, Super Sidekicks or view

point the splendid pre-rendered shmup. Pure Joy.

The machine is known for its originality too, with Twinkle Stars Sprites, splitscreen-shmup-puzzler.

But NeoGeo is most well known for its fighting games. To name the most famous: the King Of Fighters series,

Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, Samourai Shodown, Last Blade and Mark of the Wolves.

The public was so enthousiastic for the NeoGeo, SNK made it happen that they can buy the replica of the stick for PS2

barf
06-06-2006, 05:39 PM
Shinya: look that s the PS2 plug
Except LOGO and buttons marking, that s the exact same controller.

Back to Paris, a package was waiting for us, sent by SNK.
Inside, treasures are buried. That s an enormous mark of trust on the SNK behalf.
The heavenly contribution to talk about Metal Slug.

For a start, don t believe that the Metal Slug legend comes from Japanese games import fanboys, it usualy

takes only few steps down the street to find MS. The game populates worldwide arcades, like in that small

parisian caf.
That s the best way to enjoy Metal Slug.

in 1996 the legend begins, the realisation is [muffling], surgical precision, details everywhere, marvelous vehicles. Challenge is set, and beating Metal Slug becomes a question of honour for gamers.So the game earns its CULT status.

Keiko Ijuu:
A strength of Metal Slug is its pixel-made graphics, producing a verry particular charm.
Everybody agreeds that the sprites animations are a great achievement too in the game.
Here, in the development team, the game is our pride for having reached such a feat.
To animate pixels is a very difficult process, it requires a great professionalism. Each frame is entirely redrawn point per point, that gives the game's particular aspect. You could almost smell the mug coming from the backdrops. But what really nails the unique Metal Slug atmosphere is the color palettes work, point per point.
---
In 1998 the second opus comes at last, Metal Slug 2 has so many details that some small framerate drops lower the pleasure. A year later, SNK publishes Metal Slug X, with new backgrounds and ennemies, but most important of all, without the slowdowns. Nice but kinda sad for those who paid 250 euros for slug 2.

SNK will soon redeem themselves as of year 2000, when they release Metal Slug 3. Full of funny characters, and vehicles, like the Machinegun maunted Elephant, Metal Slug 3 is the first in the series to offer multiple paths.

Keiko:
One of my favourite moments is the battle against the first Metal Slug 3 BOSS, first time you meet you feel like it s impossible to beat. It makes you borderline to the idea of giving up. But when you watch someone good playing, you see that there are easy tactics, then you try again and when you finaly make it, it gives you great pleasure for the achievement.

[I ll continue tomorrow, it s late and gotta go to sleep ...]

enomosiki
06-06-2006, 07:42 PM
Barf, if you can put that in Wordpad or something with timeline, then I can put in the subtitles and upload it to my server for download.

barf
06-07-2006, 04:02 PM
The directing of that encounter is so well done, so full of tiny details, i feel like it is the scene with the the most impact in the Metal Slug series, well, that s my opinion.
----
In 2002 Metal Slug 4 lands. SNK doesn t sign that production, they were bought by Playmore,a korean company.

For the most part, the original feel is still there, but it somehow lacks substance to be up to its predescessors' standards.

2004 sees the return of a world-class Metal Slug with the 5th episode. The quality is back, and it introduces a new move: the slide. For information, Metal Slug 4 and 5 will get released on PS2 and XBox in europe this summer and this winter respectively.

Keiko:
As i ve said before, the key success of the game lies as much in its pixelated graphics as in its animation details. Metal Slug is a big patchwork of references. I am not the one who really give direction in that field, graphists and animators are free to go as they wish. When they think something could be fun, they make it and have people implement the idea, sometimes even i am caught off guard, they don t inform me. As you can imagine, i cannot really tell you where most references come from in Metal Slug, but when you play it, you are most likely to recognize little parodies. That s better if i let the player to discover them by himself.

----
Hoo yes, references, to cartoons, SciFi movies, to each his own.

Keiko:
I have a soft spot for ennemy troopers, they are so life-like, they are adorable aren t they ?

They may be the dumbest and weakest characters of the game, but their charisma is unmatched, even by heros'.

We try our best to make them adorable.

----
For the noobs, Metal Slug attraction may feel outdated and even geeky, but know that the myths does not impact the lone big fans.The the proof.

Yoshihito Koyama:
That is the hit parade of a magazine dedicated to american arcade games, Metal Slug 5 is 4th in the chart, MEtal Slug X is 11th. Metal Slug X is in the top for its 53rd month in a row, that s more than 4 years.

---
The game in the series that everybody knows, the verry sought-after Metal Slug 1, published in verry limited quantities.

Keiko:
10 years ago, fighting games were kings. Metal Slug had everything to proove, that s why the batch was quantity-limited. That s specialy true for the first episode.

---
The price mark on the market is now roughly between 1900 and 2300 euros.

Sylvain is well placed to tell you that, he s a clerc in a videogames shop specialized in collectibles.
---
You cannot say it s difficult to sell, the buyer does a collection, is a passionate, he knows what the game represents, looks at it from every angle. He buys the game, he s uber-happy, and leaves with a smile.

Keiko:
We ve had verry good echoes abroad, much better than what we could have imagined. For the whole staff it was a big surprise and source of happiness. Its universality is a big asset of the series. That s why nowadays, we try to keep that spirit, to please as much in Japan as it does elsewhere.

---

The Metal Slug style is so well recognized that it is used even on electro albums in Europe.

---

Why did he acquired a cult status ? because it s so good it gives envy to play.
What i really like in metal slug is the cooperative play. Too many recent games focus on the single player experience, but there s nothing like cooperative shooting alongside a buddy in Metal Slug.

---

Problem is, the game is so expensive that bootlegs didn t take long to arrive, even with the technical feat that it represents compared to a CD replica. No doubt the work of specialists.

---
There are indeed fakes. People could not allways buy the original,because the game was rare, expensive, and that permitted them to still play the game for a lesser price. There are a lot of them.
---
We have lost count of the amount of MEtal Slug ports, on machines like Playstation Saturn or XBox. The main issue is that the stucture of the NeoGeo is so particular it makes a perfect port of games like Metal Slug almost unfeasable.

Keiko:
NeoGeo games beeing stored in a cartidge, we can access instantly to any data stored in the ROM, that s why it s almost impossible to achieve the same results in home systems with limited memory.

----

What the ? i can t start the machine ?
Leave it to me it s my Neo, yees.
Aaaah

----

No you re not dreaming, these 2 hands are these of one only player, he s able to play 2P simultaneously, MS is not a game anymore but a style of life.

For the Doc, we had to find a pro of the game. The guy beside me has finished the game in verry hard with one life. I ll let him introduce himself,i m disgusted. What s your name ?
Benjamin

We ll kick off with who you are and what you re going to do here at GameOne.

My name is Benjamin, i m a VideoGames fan, mostly retro games, 2D games, and i came here to help on the documentary about Metal Slug.

----

That s the first Metal Slug 3 level, we ve just landed, there seems to be nothing but something is hidden beneath our feet.
Sure, that s not because we are halfway in water and that beneath the surface is not visible that there s nothing in there. You just have to shoot downward to unleash few scoring fishes. 3500 points already.

So you ve finished Metal Slug 1 with one life, in verry hard, is that difficult ?

Is that difficult... yes and no... it s not that hard when you have hundreds of hours of training, but for a newcomer it appears verry hard. The first one is really not that hard, the followups are harder, require much more training, but the first one is verry doable.

OK, so there, we have reached a branching, if we take the lower route there are more prisonners to free, that means more points at the end if you don t loose your lives.

What s interesting for you in seeking the highest score ?

Just to surpass myself, I have a gaming rank and i always try to do better.

There are lotsa weapons in Metal Slug, you grab a lot on your way, what s your favourite ?

I don t have a favourite, the usefullness depends on the situation you are into, be it for the machine gun, the shotgun, the missile launcher. Every single one has its strength, but sometimes only for a few situations.

For a half-platformer half-shmup game like Metal Slug,
you must have 2 qualities: patience (allways replay accept to loose) and be zen, allways calm.

Have you ever broken a controller ?

Of course i did.

Tell us more ?

3 days ago, Gradius V got on my nerves, well i didn t throw the controller but something else got broken against the wall.

I ve just been touched by a Zombie, i m not dead but rather turned into a Zombie myself, i m bulletproof and can spit blood, that s amazing, first time i played i did that move a hundred of times.

My favourite moment in the game is the score counting at the end of a level. Looking at the rolling numbers.

They re coming from beneath, with the laser that s not too hard but...better watch out... now upward. What s really pleasing is when you know the ennemies patterns, they stay the same even if you switch off and on the machine.There s no uncertainty, otherwise it could become unbeatable since metal slug is damn hard.

Now the helicopter, wonderfull animation, the most beautifull clouds in the world, there we are, on the ground with the jetpack the character runs, that s the difference with the other games, that kind of details level.

Detail attention and humour.

Thanks for everything.

SNK thinks about everyone. On NeoGeo pocket, Metal Slug becomes a handheld game. Stamped First Mission, it respects the name spirit but falls short technicaly. The life bar apparition is to be noted, as well as parallelized missions. Thanks to that first one's success, SNK releases Metal Slug Second Mission soon after.

Let s continue handheld, with Metal Slug Advance, released as the name suggests on GBA. Once again we get the Metal Slug goods, but a few details are still missing and leaves a tad to be desired for the fans. That may be in part due to the difficulty to adapt an arcade concept on GBA.

Keiko:
To adapt Metal Slug on the GBA we had to rewrite from scratch the source code as the programming language is completely different, it took a really long time to redo every routine we were used to. The development team is not a whole lot different than the arcade team, we are about 15 to work on the title.

--
The big novelty of the GBA version is the RPG side, seen for example in the collectible cards.

Keiko:
As it is a game for a handheld console, it had to offer a good replay value, we had to find elements to give the player the desire to replay through the game in everyway possible. We thought hard on that aspect, that s why we integrated some RPG elements.

---
Metal Slug is one of the 2 best known series of the NeoGeo alongside King Of Fighters. No wonder then to find the game on mobile phones.

---
It s not hard, you controll the character, you shoot your way through the level like any horizontal scroller.
That s typically the kind of games everybody on earth can enjoy. If it happens to arrive on french mobiles, i really recommand to give it a try.

---
It s more surprising to find Metal Slug as a slot machine, even when you know that SNK diversified it activities and specialy on money-making games.

Fans are much more worried with the 3D Metal Slug to come, the realisation beeing sub-par.

Keiko:
It leaves intact the interest and gamestyle of its 2D roots, the idea in the 3D is to seek new ways of enjoying the Metal Slug Universe, and we hope to manage that. We wish you will have the curiosity to try the game at least once, they you ll be able to judge by yourself whether or not it is worth of your interest.

---
It s going to be difficult with that technicaly modest game to make fans forget that Metal Slug is the apotheosis of 2D action games.
How to rivalize with the seduction power of the 5 first episodes.

Metal Slug is driven by a creative force and a generosity so big, that its well-earned cult game status is not going to stop growing with years.

Keiko:
we allways try to enhance our production processes in 2D, and in parallel we try the 3D adventure, but we ll allways keep in mind what makes metal slug truly unique. We ll try to offer the fans games that will not disapoint. We really fight hard for that..
And to those who didn t play Metal Slug before, we hope that if they one day make us the honour to try the game, they will understand what we have told them about the pixel-made attraction of our creation. I hope we have just transmitted the will to play to them.

[ok i m done ^^, no time to correct grammar and spelling ]

justdefend
06-07-2006, 08:03 PM
That is such an awesome documentary. There's such a history to SNK that you can tell the employees are proud of, including their success of the Metal Slug series. I can't believe Metal Slug X was still in the top ten arcade games in May 2005.

Also pretty awesome of them to send a stack of material to that channel!

Thanks for sending that video.

zer0hue
06-08-2006, 05:42 AM
words
Much appreciated. Now, can someone localize and spell-check all of this? I think a knowledge of French should be a prerequisite. After that we just need someone to plug in and time the subtitles...

zer0hue
06-17-2006, 06:25 PM
Just my weekly bump. Move along. Nothing to see here...

zer0hue
06-28-2006, 03:37 AM
Again...

Kirk Foiden
06-28-2006, 09:41 AM
Very nice. First time I read it. They certainly have a lot to be proud of, in Metal Slug. That's generally an internationally loved game in which its brand of humor and animation definitely disarmed a lot of people from taking any offense. Not to mention, it literally charmed the pants off the audience. Another good example of a 'win' by a game that just doesn't take everything seriously...except for the skill part in attaining high scores. I think it also helps by having both a casual-players set of goals and the hardcore set of goals.

It's relatively easy to just finish, but a lot harder to finish with all them hostages, slugs intact, and the great scores that come with them.

You know you're hitting big when movies start quoting Metal Slug.

"Ever played Metal Slug?"

"I can beat it in 1 credit."

I have MS1 for the Saturn, and while that isn't the Metal Slug original; it was still about $90 with shipping, at the time. Worth every penny for that. Of course, those buying the original cart are probably saying the same thing about their $1200+ purchase. (I believe I remember seeing one used for that low)

zer0hue
07-05-2006, 10:23 AM
Heres the deal, France: I root for your team, you translate this damn TV program. My powers of persuasion are legendary. I single-handedly cheered the 1980 US mens Olympic hockey team to victory over the Soviet Union before I was even born. With my influence, France will be unstoppable. Do it for Zidane!!!

YeldellGW
07-05-2006, 11:18 PM
Here's some more Metal Slug news for those that might have missed it.

http://www.cocoebiz.com/namiki/news/index.shtml

kite
07-07-2006, 02:48 PM
Well first: Hi (again) Neo.com forum :) I re-registered and im *new* today ;) Up for some great neo-conversation! :)

Topic related:

Thats great news with the Metal Slug Sound box!! Thanks for the Info :)
I really like how the old Soundtracks are thrown out to the market again as box-sets like the KOF Soundbox and of course the Slug Box :buttrock:

Gotenks326
07-07-2006, 03:21 PM
Maybe we'll get proper subs if the French win this Sunday?

kite
07-07-2006, 03:25 PM
Well the text is here isnt it? Its not about translation anymore.. someone has to time it (which is alot of work :confused: ) and make a .sub file or similar. Unfortunately i am not very experienced in timing subs so id have given it a shot :annoyed:

zer0hue
07-09-2006, 08:12 PM
I swear to God, if no one subtitles this bitch Im going to headbutt each and every Frenchman right square in the chest...

Gotenks326
07-09-2006, 08:41 PM
I swear to God, if no one subtitles this bitch Im going to headbutt each and every Frenchman right square in the chest...
:lolz:

enomosiki
07-09-2006, 08:48 PM
I would sub this if the Frenchman will put some sort of timeline on the text. I can't figure out when the hell to change between the sentences and phrases because the people in the video talk like fucking machine guns.

gamejunkie
09-02-2006, 11:52 PM
So, did anyone ever get around to subtitling this video?