StarSolider coming on PSP, was PS2 version any good ?

barf

Maxima's Barber
Hudson is porting its ps2 remake of Star Soldier to PSP... but was the game worth it ?

overpriced-star-soldier-port-coming-to-psp-20050510095446004.jpg

BIG

sony fanboy
PinkPeach said:
Hudson is porting its ps2 remake of Star Soldier to PSP... but was the game worth it ?

overpriced-star-soldier-port-coming-to-psp-20050510095446004.jpg

If it's a straight-up port,I'd say no.

Fuck it,atleast I'll have Sengoku Cannon to look forward to. :annoyed:

B-

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I kinda like the Star Soldier remake on PS2, it's quite straight-forward, graphics are decent tho nothing special and the engine is mildly interesting, specially the bonus system.

On the downside, it does not seem to support arcade sticks, at least my ASCII PSx stick does not work with it, so I have to use the standard controller + analogue stick which makes it difficult for me to control the ship at times, it just sucks to lose a life because of that.

In short, SS remake is decent, but if the PSP port does not come up with new extras, it's probably best to get the cheaper PS2 version or skip it completely because there are lots of excellent shmup ports on PS2 that I'd buy first if I hadn't already.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Still, be cool to try out some tate action on my Lynx...I mean PSP.

BIG

sony fanboy
pixeljunkie said:
Still, be cool to try out some tate action on my Lynx...I mean PSP.

If you want some tate action for your PSP,get the Namco Collection instead.

Galaga Arrangement is excellent,BTW.

B-

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
Will this support holding the psp sideways? Does the Namco collection support this?

barf

Maxima's Barber
gamejunkie said:
Will this support holding the psp sideways? Does the Namco collection support this?

Yes the psp version has a control scheme to play sideways :)

Haaaaaaaaaaa i want RType final PSP :)

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Takumaji said:
I kinda like the Star Soldier remake on PS2, it's quite straight-forward, graphics are decent tho nothing special and the engine is mildly interesting, specially the bonus system.

On the downside, it does not seem to support arcade sticks, at least my ASCII PSx stick does not work with it, so I have to use the standard controller + analogue stick which makes it difficult for me to control the ship at times, it just sucks to lose a life because of that.

In short, SS remake is decent, but if the PSP port does not come up with new extras, it's probably best to get the cheaper PS2 version or skip it completely because there are lots of excellent shmup ports on PS2 that I'd buy first if I hadn't already.

Same version as the cheap (price-wise) Gamecube import Star Soldier, I'm assuming?

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
I actually liked Star Soldier for GC/PS2. Excellent remake. Hard as nails too.

This is a good sign seeing shooters come out so quickly on the PSP. Looks like it'll the be the portable system of choice for fans of the genre everywhere.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
subcons said:
I actually liked Star Soldier for GC/PS2. Excellent remake. Hard as nails too.

This is a good sign seeing shooters come out so quickly on the PSP. Looks like it'll the be the portable system of choice for fans of the genre everywhere.

Yeah, I consider my GC copy to be $35 well-spent. I may pass on the PSP version, but the fact that this is coming out and Psikyo is supporting the system are both extremely encouraging signs...

cough *Progear* cough!

(I am fully aware that the above is about as likely as W. denouncing Christianity in favor of voodoo cannibalism).

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
I'd like to get a PSP if shooters are coming out for it. When do you guys think it'll get a price drop?

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Weevus said:
I'd like to get a PSP if shooters are coming out for it. When do you guys think it'll get a price drop?

This is Sony we're talking about, here- could be a couple years before a drop and I wouldn't be surprised at all.

By not bringing it out at a price that was more competitive with the DS, they made it pretty clear that they don't view DS as a rival to their potential business.

Thus I think Sony will figure they set their own market. And I don't see them changing their minds when GBA2 comes out, either.

Also, Sony's track record for price drops isn't exactly a good one.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
I know this is a little off topic, but another GBA already. Jesus! I know the DS isn't technically a Game Boy, but come on, yeah it is. A handheld system made by nintendo is a gameboy. Will the GBA2 be more powerful than the DS, cartridge or disc? Price? Didn't seem like it took much time to develop, unless they were working on it while they were working on the DS. So many questions. :help: Anyways, the PSP can suck it for 250+ tax. :angry:

BIG

sony fanboy
Weevus said:
I know this is a little off topic, but another GBA already. Jesus! I know the DS isn't technically a Game Boy, but come on, yeah it is. A handheld system made by nintendo is a gameboy. Will the GBA2 be more powerful than the DS, cartridge or disc? Price? Didn't seem like it took much time to develop, unless they were working on it while they were working on the DS. So many questions. :help: Anyways, the PSP can suck it for 250+ tax. :angry:

Off-topic like a motherfucker.

You either need counseling,or $250+tax for a PSP.

B-

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Sorry I ragged on your Playstation shooter setup. :crying:

I hope we can still be friends, even though I post off topic threads. :)

BIG

sony fanboy
Weevus said:
Sorry I ragged on your Playstation shooter setup. :crying:

I hope we can still be friends, even though I post off topic threads. :)

Ragged on my Playstation set-up? What the? :eek_2:

Seriously,what's wrong with you?

B-

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but was that not a Playstation turned on its side for shooters? :conf: I'm sorry you had to waste your very precious time reading my horribly off-topic thread. I don't know what got into me. I should have recognized these forums are run with an iron fist. :rolleyes: Not just a bunch of guys who like games. ;)

BIG

sony fanboy
Weevus said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but was that not a Playstation turned on its side for shooters? :conf: I'm sorry you had to waste your very precious time reading my horribly off-topic thread. I don't know what got into me. I should have recognized these forums are run with an iron fist. :rolleyes: Not just a bunch of guys who like games. ;)

From Star Soldier PSP,to NDS,to GBA,to GBA2,and now Playstations on its sides for shooters?

This topic has gone to shit,I'm out.

B-

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
Weevus said:

Internet use is not recommended for children under the age of 12.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The game itself looks bleh, but if it's as fun as Star Soldier on the NES...that'd be rockin.

Sengoku Cannon and Star Soldier...wonder what shall be next.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
The PS2 was ok. Not impressive, the graphics got the job done, and the game is pretty fun if you are in the old school shooters, in the same vein of the original Star Soldier.

Much better than the SS: Vanishing Earth to N64, I must say.