Censored Games list?...

Ebs

n00b
Hope I don't get flamed for asking this, but I did try searching and nothing came up.

I was just wondering if there's a list of games that were censored by SNK/Playmore in the US? Were all the Metal Slug's censored? were all the KOF's and Shodown's?

With my recent unibios installation, I want to play all games 'as they were intended' rather than some censored/watered-down version.

Also, one more question. If a particular game was censored, did it's Euro release also suffer as a result?.

If anyone can supply a list, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Ebs.

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
Sorry to not answer your question, as I dont have a list of games handy, but I just wanted to say I think it's kinda funny that Legend of Success Joe was the first game I ever noticed to be censored. then Sam Sho's and KOF's. I would also like to see a full list of games that got the white blood/no bouncy's. ;)

stuffmonger

Baseball Star Hitter
The metal slugs are censored... They have an option in which you can turn blood on or off.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Just about all games were sensored for play on US AES systems, but you can just get a JPN AES, MVS, or a uni-bios to get around all that. So unless you have some neurotic fixation allowing you to only use a US AES system, there really isn't any censorship.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Just for kicks though, wasn't it KOF'94 that started it all the drama with the US AES releases? I don't recall if Samurai Shodown was censored or not though but it was released prior to KOF94......so if it has white/green blood then I suppose it was first.

So basically one of those titles kicked it off but they did have some sort of codes to allow the blood, bounce, etc.

So the question would be: What titles have been completely censored (provided you have a US unmodded AES) with no way to access the blood/bounce, etc.?

Unibios and JP AES out of the picture........which titles are you screwed with?

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Nice idea for a thread! It would be cool to have a list of the censored games and what is censored in each game.

These are from the top of my head.

Macigal Drop 3, in English mode, has only English voices (which really suck IMO, there's three (male, female, and The Fool) and they're used for all the characters (except the Fool who kept his voice)). In Japanese mode, each character has his or her own Japanese voice, which rules.

Samurai Shodown IV has white blood.

Metal Slug has white blood.

I think Real Bout has censored blood, not sure.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
DanAdamKOF said:
Samurai Shodown IV has white blood.

Metal Slug has white blood.

IIRC SNK tried to pass the white blood off as "sweat".

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
tsukaesugi said:
IIRC SNK tried to pass the white blood off as "sweat".
yeah it actually looked like sweat in Metal Slug, but it's just white in Samurai IV. Man, these guys should be in antipersperant commercials.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
DanAdamKOF said:
Nice idea for a thread! It would be cool to have a list of the censored games and what is censored in each game.

More to the point, which games are stuck censored. KoF '94 and Samurai Shodown II for example, have blood codes.

Generally speaking any game with blood will be censored on US consoles because daft nimrods in California worried that 7-year-old Jimmy might have $200 to spend on a super niche video game and would be violently corrupted by the site of mild, cartoon-like violence. But who cares that he could have spent the beyond-his-wealth 25 cents in the arcade to see all the "gore" anyway.

Metal Slug series, Samurai Shodown series, The King of Fighters series, Fatal Fury series (not completely though, I believe), and according to what was posted above, Legend of Success Joe. I would not call Magical Drop 3 censored but altered. They were not trying to tone down anything unacceptable in the game, they simply committed an act of idiocy that was for years quite typical in the process of converting games for the English market.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
NeoCverA said:
Just for kicks though, wasn't it KOF'94 that started it all the drama with the US AES releases?
No it was Samurai Shodown.

NeoCverA said:
I don't recall if Samurai Shodown was censored or not though but it was released prior to KOF94......so if it has white/green blood then I suppose it was first.
Yes Samurai Showdown was censored, KOF 94 came out the following spring after Samurai Showdown was released.

Last edited:

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
Neo Bomber Man said:
More to the point, which games are stuck censored. KoF '94 and Samurai Shodown II for example, have blood codes.
You mean some MVS carts don't have the blood palette available, even if you Unibios 2.0 it over to Japan region and whatnot? I was under the impression all MVS carts had blood available if you enabled the proper settings.

Last edited:

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Ely13 said:
You mean some MVS carts don't have the blood palette available, even if you Unibios 2.0 it over to Japan region and whatnot? I was under the impression all MVS carts had blood available if you enabled the proper settings.

I was talking about homecarts.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
IF I remember correctly, all of the Korean Versions are unreversably censored.

Neo Fan

King's Dry Cleaner
Fakk2 said:
I just wanted to say I think it's kinda funny that Legend of Success Joe was the first game I ever noticed to be censored.

What is censored in Success Joe?