SCAMMER ALERT: Sindel127, don't deal with!

Wow, I've been here for a whole two weeks, I put my first request on the trading forum to buy a Phantom convertor and I already caught someone trying to scam me!

I received the following messages from a user named Sindel127, who just joined in April and had zero posts. Here is the whole conversation:

Hello,

I currently have a Blue Phantom 1 convertor for sale.

Its only been used with a couple times, its preety much in brand new condition. Here ismy ebay username: whiskeydoggie

let me know if your intrested.

I replied with:

Yes, I'm interested. It has no problems functioning, right? What's your price?

His reply:

Hello,

iam asking for $190 shipped.

Its complete with the box and the anti-static bag as well. i have only used it a couple times so it in perfect shape.

I only accpet paypal at the moment with a 3.5% fee.

My reply:

That's a fair price. Just to confirm, this is the latest (blue) version, right?

His reply:

Hello,

Yes its the lastest Blue version, and everthing is in perfectly good working order.

If your intrested, here is my paypal account: abomin8or@yahoo.ca

My reply:

I am interested, but can you provide any kind of feedback besides Ebay? Or is there some way you can verify you are the true owner of that Ebay account? I only ask because you are very new to the forums like me, and have no posts.

His reply:

Hello,

I know i have no posts in neo-geo.com

But i asure you that everone who has dealt with me on ebay, has had a perfect trasaction. iam 96/0 with 100% positive feedback.

My final reply:

I know, but basically I need to verify that Ebay account is yours. I'm sorry to be cautious, but anybody can take an Ebay account with good feedback and claim it is theirs. I will send an email question through Ebay for the one auction you've got going and you can reply to me, that would verify it for me.

At this point, I get no reply. I assume he is waiting for me to send an email through Ebay to him, as the seller ID he gave me has a single auction going on. So I send a question through Ebay for that item so it will go to that email address on the Ebay account and I get back:

You asked:
"Hello, this is Jason, the guy interested in the Phantom convertor. I just want to verify your Ebay account, please reply to this and I will be satisfied!"

responding to your question...not sure what you mean by Phantom convertor??

OOPS!!! Busted motherfucker!!! I may be new to the Neo Geo forums, but I've been trading games on the internet for 3 years and I haven't gotten ripped off for a reason!

I'm assuming that email address is real since it must be tied to his PayPal account. I am out nothing of course, but just wanted to warn others.

Now who is legitamate that wants to sell me a Phantom-1? :)

Ebs

n00b
well done for catching that asshole out. I'm new to these forums too and I've read various 'scammer' threads. All too often it seems that some people are SOOO eager to get their item they pay out straight away without even bothering to verify the most simple things.

You're right about using the 'contact seller' feature on ebay. it's not 100% guaranteed to prove you're not dealing with a scammer, but it's better than nothing.

I hope this Sindel127 burns in hell, the theiving bastard.

Knatty Dreadnok

Crossed Swords Squire
Yeah... I got an email from him too. Did'nt bother replying, just did'nt feel right again "0" posts on the board, and claiming to have an ebay account. :shame:

This is what he sent me:

05-03-2005

Hello,

i have a near mint++ mint JP ROTD's for sale.

the game is 100% complete including manual baggie etc, and in fantastic shape.

if your still intrested let me know, i can send pictures if you like. here is my ebay username: whiskeydoggie

let me know.

Besides another thing I found odd about this PM was he never quoted a price!?! :eye:

Last edited:

Knatty Dreadnok

Crossed Swords Squire
I don't know how the moderators go about banning or black-listing scammers on this board but they really need to do something about this guy. I still have his original private message saved if it will :help: at all!

Yeah, I have all of the original PMs if it would be any use. Best to get rid of him now before he causes trouble again.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
hey a n00b that is smart about verifying feedback :)

glad you didn't get screwed, as for what to do about that account, IP ban I guess and hopefully he has a static IP, why are there dickheads around like this, unfortunately he'll probably be back, people just need to learn how to verify feedback.

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
nice job all around in ID'ing a scam guys...it's good to have examples for other folks to read about how to protect themselves and this community as a whole

hope you all get the safe, positive transactions you're looking for
icon35.gif

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Natty Dreadnok said:
I don't know how the moderators go about banning or black-listing scammers on this board but they really need to do something about this guy. I still have his original private message saved if it will :help: at all!

At the very least Sindel127 should be added to Bulletnyourass' stickied scammer thread. Perhaps his new account name should go under Carbinaxe (whatever the hell his name was) as a probable AKA.

And IP ban, too, pls. No need to let scammers hang around until they hit someone else.

DK

n00b
That's unfortunate. Good work ... it's really sad how people act. I suppose that's the tragic price some gamers pay for having such love and devotion to a system where things are generally uncommon, fairly old, and often pricey. I guess I should almost be thankful that at this stage in my life, I really can't even afford to participate in many transactions where I could get ripped off. And I thought car people were shady (which many of them are) ... damn.

Well congratulations on not getting burned and good luck finding a real Phantom-1. :)

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I swear to you guys, this man has nothing to do with me.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Nice work, and I say IP ban his ass.

I never understood why people put up links to ebay feedback, since that doesn't really offer proof of anything. I guess it seems legit, on the surface, sort of ....

Garland Russell

Dodgeball Yakuza
IP ban the sucker. To the topic creator, I hope that everything goes well for you on this. Nice job on figuring it all out.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
galfordo said:

I never understood why people put up links to ebay feedback, since that doesn't really offer proof of anything. I guess it seems legit, on the surface, sort of ....

why not? how else can someone proove their online trading habits unless its feedback off some other site. then how is that any different?

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
galfordo said:

For the exact reason that he got busted. You can ask seller a question and verify it's real.

bUs

Zero's Secretary
Hey, really lucky for me I read through this post and a lot of other similar posts because Sindel tried to scam me as well. Here's the PM he sent me:

Hello,

I have a complete boxed pocket color for sale, also includes thses games, all in near mint/mint condition and complete.

King of fighters R-1
Neo turf masters
Magical drop pocket
Mslug 2nd mission

Let me know if your intrested, here i smy ebay username: whiskeydoggie.

thanks

I asked him about pictures and price and I also sent an e-mail through ebay to whiskeydoggie and haven't heard from him or Sindel127 since then.

MariusSNK

n00b
Many thanks dudes...

I was sent a e-mail to my e-mail address from this asshole offering me a KOF 2003 JP AES, I asked him for photos and said he had no camera. When asking about some feedback, he gave me his e-bay nickname, but as I found nothing here I told him to burn in hell...

Thank God I didn´t accept.

:shame:

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
Thanks very much for the heads up. I had to do a bit of weeding out with the asshole named in my sig. Lucky for me the guy used the same email address for his old/new accounts. I also had a bit of help from some other members. :very_ang:

alphastet

n00b
Man, I feel like a retard. He frigging ripped me off for 269$ and now I do a search and find this... darn it. I filed a claim through e bay but i dont think ill ever see that money again :(

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
alphastet said:
Man, I feel like a retard. He frigging ripped me off for 269$ and now I do a search and find this... darn it. I filed a claim through e bay but i dont think ill ever see that money again :(

That's messed up. What happened?

Borman

Genjuro's Frog
Man, that sucks. I may be new here, but i know how things work around message boards unfortunatly. Luckily it was only for 30 bucks and not more. Glad you guys caught him.

Gaelsano

Armored Scrum Object
tangent: wasn't sindel the name of that shitty whitehaired witch on Mortal Kombat