Gradius V

AWC

NEST Puppet
I've been reading great things about this game but I can't seem to find a copy of it in retail stores. Is it a PS2 "must-have" SHMUP? And is it becoming hard to find in stores in other areas as well?

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
I don't even look in stores much anymore, but I know GV is readily available on eBay.

And yes, it's a must own shooter. Even if you aren't a fan of previous installments, you might even fall in love with it. I did.

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
I got it 2 days ago (from a US seller on Ebay nonetheless) and it fucking ROCKS.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
I still haven't got it, but I really need to. Treasure is awesome.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Apparently, Gradius V makes Loopz' pee pee tingle. Lots of stuff on that thread.

edit: The game is fantastic, like everyone said. Definitely worth the $.

Last edited:

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
This is the definitive Gradius game by a wide margin. It's unbelievably good. Even better with two players. I honestly think this is the best shmup to come out in years.

People know how much I like games with a big arsenal so I'm sure you all know why I like this so much. ;)

It's a total fan orgasm to play too, in second level you fight like half the bosses from Gradius II and Life Force, the Vic Viper pilot in the cutscenes is voiced by the guy that's done all the voices in Gradius II and up, wonderful stuff. Even has a horrendously easy final boss as all Konami shmups absolutely must.

One caveat, it's a CD game, blue disk. Gradius deserves better.

Either way the game in and of itself is art. Everyone knows I like to go into huge rants about games I like, I can't with this one because it's that hard to describe how fantastic it is.

Brilliantly, there's even a boss where DOUBLE is useful!

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Neo Rasa said:
This is the definitive Gradius game by a wide margin. It's unbelievably good. Even better with two players. I honestly think this is the best shmup to come out in years.

People know how much I like games with a big arsenal so I'm sure you all know why I like this so much. ;)

It's a total fan orgasm to play too, in second level you fight like half the bosses from Gradius II and Life Force, the Vic Viper pilot in the cutscenes is voiced by the guy that's done all the voices in Gradius II and up, wonderful stuff. Even has a horrendously easy final boss as all Konami shmups absolutely must.

One caveat, it's a CD game, blue disk. Gradius deserves better.

Either way the game in and of itself is art. Everyone knows I like to go into huge rants about games I like, I can't with this one because it's that hard to describe how fantastic it is.

Brilliantly, there's even a boss where DOUBLE is useful!

To add to Rasa's fan delight here, this is the best way I can describe it:

You know how many of us dream of the great classics of yesteryear being revived for modern consoles, managing to both capture the essence of what made it great back in the day and add lots of new tricks, all the while squeezing every last drop of graphic/aural bliss our present-day 128-bit beasts can conjure up?

Gradius V does exactly this, and then some. It'll make the old hands remember the first time they fired up a golden-era classic like Contra:The Alien Wars or ThunderForce, something made with love that squeezes the hardware it resides on for all it's worth. Pure fucking joy.

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
I agree with the masses above. Gradius V is a terrific game and a must own for any shooter fan.

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
What do you guys think of Gradius 3 and 4 on PS2? Worth getting?

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Dreamer said:

No.

-Hibikster-

Bead Banger
Gradius V is totally awesome. I've been with Gradius/Nemesis games since 1987 when Nemesis II came out for the MSX (I still own the original game and system which both work perfectly). It took me a good 10 years to build up enough skill to beat that game and since then, no shooter has ever been hard....Nemesis II is a game which I always go back to play every now and then, and it left behind some reall great memories.

Gradius V helps me re-live those memories. Lots of hints from here and there which signifies things from past Gradius games....it's totally fantastic.

The only game which is comparable to it which I think is the best shooter for PSX is Gradius Gaiden...that game is one of the very few reasons why I want to get a modded PS2....and it offers tons of the extra gameplay features that Gradius V has...only way of obtaining that game is through e-bay though, and it's a tough find.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Dreamer said:

Gradius III for PS2 is insanely fucking hard. It's so hard it just isn't fun. Gradius IV is the saving grace on the double pack. It's worth picking up for $20 or under IMO.

BIG

sony fanboy
Shit,Gradius V at $29.99 is a fucking steal. I paid $69.99 for my Jp copy at release,and never once did I regret doing so.

B-

M

MasterKiller

Gradius V is hands down the best looking horizontal shmup I've ever played. Buy it brand new because it will be worth alot in the future.

AWC

NEST Puppet
I just found and bought this game yesteryday, and is one of the best games I've played in years, not to mention, the first Gradius game I've ever played! Also, this game is HARD, just the way I like it!

Last edited:

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
It is a fine game indeed. Although I must say that it has more of a treasure feel to it than a Konami Gradius feel, if you know what I mean. That is a compliment btw. Treasure has the best Schmups out there. Be warned if you are a purist though...

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
Hey... a freind has offered me a mint US ps2...memory cards , rumble pads etc...for £70....i was thinking of buying it ..just for gradius v....what do you all think?..over here gradius on US will cost me £40.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
buy it now! You won't regret it. Especially if you dig other games as well (Metal Gear III comes to mind). And it has a great selection of 2d fighters/ shooters. You won't regret it at all. If you do, just sell it to your grandmother for double the price.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Yes, both awesome and challenging. Lovingly crafted.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
Dreamer said:

As a long time fan of Konami shooters (And other games) from the old NES days, I'll simply say this...

Gradius III and IV was the sole reason I got a PS2 in the first place.

A must have for the true Gradius fan and a nice, if underated title in general.

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
Gaston said:
buy it now! You won't regret it. Especially if you dig other games as well (Metal Gear III comes to mind). And it has a great selection of 2d fighters/ shooters. You won't regret it at all. If you do, just sell it to your grandmother for double the price.
Hey gaston....ive got the U.S. machine down to £30 now!!!...a bargain? ...but i cannot find gradius v anywhere on US!! Dammit.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Dreamer said:

If you're a fan you have to get it. The arcade ports are just about perfect. The graphics in III are supernintendo like, lots cool sprites and bad guys. Gradius 4 has weird 3d graphics, very cool still.

Also try to find Salamander Delux pack (on Saturn or PS1) the original Salamander is still my favorite Konami shooter. The graphics and atmosphere are tops.

Be careful getting the gradius Delux pack (it has one and 2 for PS1 or saturn). Running Gradius 2 on a PS2 won't work the game slows down. Apparently this happends a little with gradius gaiden too. (thats why I have an old ps1 packed away.)

Wonderful games. I used to watch my neighbors mom beat 2 loops of gradius on the NES while breast feeding (this is getting strange huh.)