4 Slot MVS Sound problem

Censei

n00b
My 4 slot mvs machine (dedicated machine) only plays background music from the games I put in, no sound from the characters. Anyone know what this problem is and if what parts need to be replaced? No audio coming from the headphone jacks either.

stuffmonger

Baseball Star Hitter
first... try cleaning all your connectors on the edge connector. You can use alcohol (some people use a very fine sandpaper, but you should know what you're doing if you do that, so you don't wind up taking the connection off completely... You should also check your wiring connections, to make sure everything is still getting signal. Question... are you getting NOTHING other than background? Or, are you getting it very faintly?

Censei

n00b
Yup, I'm only getting background music. The cartridges are in 100% working order, I've swapped these cartridges with my other neo geo machine and they work fine. I'm certain this is a board related problem but I'm not sure where the fault is because the board does emit sound but just only background music. I've also cleaned the entire board and inspected it for faults also. No burns, nada...

stuffmonger

Baseball Star Hitter
Censei said:
Yup, I'm only getting background music. The cartridges are in 100% working order, I've swapped these cartridges with my other neo geo machine and they work fine. I'm certain this is a board related problem but I'm not sure where the fault is because the board does emit sound but just only background music. I've also cleaned the entire board and inspected it for faults also. No burns, nada...
Well then... I guess all you can do is take a multimeter, and check the traces to make sure they're still in working condition...