Is Radiant Silvergun worth the price?

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
I'm thinking about importing some saturn games, and naturally being the huge shooter fan that I am, radiant silvergun crossed my mind. 120 Dollars aint cheap, although it will probably just keep going up. I remember when Keois flying squadron was 80-90. Now the damn thing's 140+! Anyways, are there any other saturn import shooters that I should consider. Thanks.

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
Opinion is just that. One persons take or opinion.

Personally- I'd say it's not worth it. As far as a 'game' is concerned it's a good game and a very good shooter. It's not the finest shooter ever. Personally, I like Gunbird 2 (all things being equal) more.

If it wasn't for the fact that the game has consistantly been 'valuable' (that you could sell it on eBay for basically whatever you paid for it) I'd trade my copy for a PSP. I'd just have a hard time reconsiling that one day when the PSP is $50 at some used game shop, RS will still cost $200.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Weevus said:
I'm thinking about importing some saturn games, and naturally being the huge shooter fan that I am, radiant silvergun crossed my mind. 120 Dollars aint cheap, although it will probably just keep going up. I remember when Keois flying squadron was 80-90. Now the damn thing's 140+! Anyways, are there any other saturn import shooters that I should consider. Thanks.

I'll probably take a lot of heat for this, but I dont think it is worth the going price. Hell you could get a Batrider PCB for about that much and IMO its 5X the game.

/me runs away now

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Yeah, the PSP will only go down, while RS will only go up. Gunbird 2 s good, but its nowhere near the top of my shooters list. Any other good saturn import shooters?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I never had the Saturn version, just the ST-V cart (which is pretty cheap). It's a good shooter, has some great moments in it, but I couldn't see dropping $200+ on it. There are a lot of shooters I like a lot more, and for me I grew tired of RS after a little while (I've since sold off my ST-V copy).

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
Silvergun..

I think it is worth it, I have been playing it a lot recently on stv...
I played Mushihimesama the weekend and i thought silvergun was much better....

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Spike said:
I'll probably take a lot of heat for this, but I dont think it is worth the going price. Hell you could get a Batrider PCB for about that much and IMO its 5X the game.

/me runs away now

Agreed. Although RS is pretty neat [if not slightly overrated...Ikaruga is better I think], and one of those games that people can get an itch for that will only be scratched by acquiring it.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Spike said:

/me runs away now

Eh, but the gameplay is way different. Yes, in Radiant you a ship that shoots things, but the object is to map out the enemy color patterns and learn the highest scoring chain. It's a deeper puzzle game than it is "shooter". Your firepower is directly related to how many points you have, so the smarter you play the stronger you are. It's literally impossible to beat the game just by trying to blast through it. Your weapons won't be strong enough in the later levels and the bosses with self destruct.

I read an article in game informer a couple years back about Radiant being some guy's "favorite game ever" pick (a running article they do monthly). He talked about how the object of Radiant was to play levels over and over again until you leveled up and became strong enough to beat the bosses. That article still ticks me off to this day - I hope everyone at the magazine printed it as a joke.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Same question has been asked time and time again and you always get the same two answers: 1) No, it's not worth the price. 2) Yes, it's well worth the price.

If you have the money to drop on it, just do it. Wait until one goes at an average price (by RS standards) and snatch it up. Play it. Then decide if it's worth keeping in your opinion. Because you know what? It's not a hard game to get rid of. You'll get your money right back and will have played it for yourself.

And just so you know, I kept my RS. ;)

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Another question realted to this discussion. I'vealso been thinking about importing the dreamcast ikaruga. Are there any differences between the Gamecbe and Dreamcast versions?

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
Yes.

Dreamcast = love.

For whatever reason, any game - Ikaruga, Shenmue, Rez ... whatever, just 'feels' better on the Dreamcast.

Whether it's placebo or panacea, Dreamcast is the system.

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
I can't personally say anything about the GC version, but what I can say is that Ikaruga was one of the best purchases I made for the D'Cast...

Last edited:

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
I suppose I'll go with the dreamcast one. It's about the same price anyway.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
I'll provide the voice of dissent here and give a rousing "Hell yeah!"

Radiant harkens back to the days of the MegaDrive and PC Engine, in terms of being a shooter modeled for the consoles. Yes, I know there was an ST-V arcade version, but when you play the Saturn rev it's very clearly more of what the developer intended. I love the six different weapons and the Radiant Sword is easily one of the coolest weapons in a game of this type ever. Throw in the excellent Saturn exclusive anime cinemas, the incredible score, and a plethora of unlockables and potential score challenges, and I think the game actually deserves the price it begs.

Do any of you really think it has a graphical equal on the Saturn? I still think it does some very impressive tricks, with all the line scrolls, transparencies, etc. I think only Soukyou comes close personally.

Ikaruga is also a great shooter, but much more of a modern minimalist thing with the jillions of bullets/vertical gameplay.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
How is minimalist billions of bullets? Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
At $120 RSG should not be missed. It's a true classic with a lot of replay value in my mind.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Weevus said:
How is minimalist billions of bullets? Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Well, it's pretty minimalist, in concept, compared to say, EDPGaluda. Or to Radiant Silvergun for overall complexity. Ikaruga is a great game, and I would agree that "minimalist" works to describe it- the black/white dynamic kind of feels like that, even though it's still very rich and rewarding.

As far as RS goes, I am in the "yes, buy it" camp. I spent $160 for my mint/complete copy, and I haven't regretted it for a second. The weapon system is amazing and the gameplay is pretty much perfect. Looks great and sounds great as well, nice icing on the cake.

And it's pretty much the centerpiece of the console shooter collection, at least IMO. There are PCBs that might be more desireable (Progear comes to mind), but on consoles, I can't think of anything I'd rather own and love. Though Cave games do make it a decent competition...

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Weevus said:
Never heard of Progear. Who makes it?

Published by Capcom. Dev'ed by Cave. Quite coveted by most of the PCB types around here. Here's a link to a used PCB for sale at coinopexpress.

I think I speak for many of the faithful when I meekly request a PS2 port...

Segata_Sanshiro

Tesse's Maintainence Man
15 Year Member
There are a lot more Saturn shooters I'd get before RSG. Battle Garegga could keep you busy for years. Then there's Strikers 1945 and Dodonpachi.

BIG

sony fanboy
RSG is a good game,but quite honestly,I don't think it's worth the buku bucks it fetches regularly on Ebay.

BTW,$120 is a REALLY good price for a complete copy,just so you know.

B-

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I heard it is a great game and a friend of mine has it. He loves it but I cannot see spending $200.00 for it. It is all a matter or tastes.

GAMEFAN

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Any other suggestions for import saturn shooters?