If I can only purchase one import shooter right now, what should it be?

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
I scored a slim Japanese PS2 at work yesterday CHEAP, and I want to reward myself for another solid semester by buying an import shooter. Trouble is, I've been out of the import game for so long, I'm not sure which one to score. Which one out there is going to give me the most bang for my buck? I'm leaning heavily towards ESPGaluda, since I like the artwork and I loved DDP-DOJ (last import I owned actually besides HyperSFII). Which way should I go? One of the Psikyo comps? Wait for something else coming?

I get the feeling this is the kind of itch only a gem from Cave will satisfy.

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
I would say ESPGaluda for sure - it's definitely one of Cave's strongest games, and while it's a lot more forgiving than DDP: DOJ, the scoring system is brilliant. If you're into 1CC / high score play, it's a fantastic game. NCS still has new copies, too.

The Psikyo comps are strong, but they're imbalanced (Sengoku Blade is brilliant, Sengoku Ace not so much; Dragon Blaze is incredible, Sol Divide is crap). Psyvariar Revision and Psyvariar 2: Ultimate Final are superb games, but not everybody is into the buzz/scratch gameplay.

My recommendation is definitely Galuda - it'll be good practice for the upcoming release of Mushihimesama too!

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
That is a hard decision. I love both games, but I'd also go with ESP. Cave has had a long history of shooters, and they have been solid everytime. Galuda is one of my favorite shooters in a long time. Cave just doesn't know how to come out with a bad game.

BIG

sony fanboy
Congrats on the score,Loopz.

Since you already own a Cave shooter (DOJ),why not go with something entirely different for a change? My recommendation,Psikyo Shooting Collection Vol.III : Dragon Blaze & Sol-Divide. Why? DB is probably one of the finest shooters you'll ever play,and quite easily,Psikyo's best work to date. Plus,you get Sol-Divide as a freebie!

On the other hand,if you have an itch only Cave could scratch,then definitely go with 'Galuda.

B-

Last edited:

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
ESPGaluda, definitely. It's one of Cave's most "complete" games and if you want it to be hard, it can be really hard, but you can also make it easier than most Cave shooters are.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Wait and get Mushihime Sama. :glee:

If you cant wait I would also recomend both Galuda and at a close second Dragon Blaze.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I completely agree with Dragon Blaze (Saikyo Shooting Collection Vol. 3: Sol Divide & Dragon Blaze) and ESP Galuda. Both are among the best vert shmups the PS2 has to offer, save for DDP: DoJ, Shienryu and the upcoming Mushihime-sama.

I think I've seen the light in Dragon Blaze now that I know (or think to know) how to handle the dragon attack... damn addictive game, even tho it has its frustrating moments.

Also, you may want to check out Hudson's Star Soldier remake, it's quite nice IMO.

Other than that, I'll light a few candles at St. Neo's and pray for a clean port of ProGear no Arashi...