PhillyClassic/Video Game Expo 2005, who's down?

KaedesDisciple

Angel's Love ,
20 Year Member
I know there's one in TX, but I'm in NY I don't think I'll be going to that one lol. However, this year the Philly, PA leg will be on 11/12-13. I'm in, and so is my g/f and probably some of our friends. Who else will be attending this year?

PhillyClassic/VGXPO Website

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
Hmmm.

I was actually hoping the Philly Classic's current management wouldn't sell out, especially NOT to the likes of the local General Electric TV, err NBC affiliate...

Everything that was admirably grassroots about the prior PC events(Including the unmentioned predecessor ElectroniCon) will go down the drain somehow- Mark my words.

What really baffles me is how the organizers are arrogant enough to somehow think they have magically graduated from handling/accommodating crowds of 2600(tops) to something insane like 25K... They nearly suffocated from the pressure last year due to an overall lack of competent staffers and common sense-style logistics.

I suppose in spite of the projected size being a major turnoff, that I'll still attend since, shit it's free admission after all. As for getting a table again? I doubt it due to potential aggravation.

Gotta wonder if the SNK USA office in New Jersey gives a rat's ass about having any sort o' presence at this type of event...

Last edited:

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Philly Classic is ok, for about 15 minutes.

About 20 cosplayers, TONS of WAAAY overpriced stuff and some interesting Atari stuff.

If you're into Atari, it's definitely the place to be.

The vendors don't know what they have for the most part which means it's either Over Priced or under priced.

Fatal Fury, shredded insert, poor condition. AES - $60
Phantasy Star Online - Dc (3 Copies) $15

You can find battlesphere for Jag there, but prepare to pay.

They set up a big ass arcade there on free play with vintage games and they build a MAME cab every year. I dominated SFA3 play for a while there.

The auction at the end is sort of interesting for rare stuff because of what people are there for, stuff not wanted by the general populace go cheap.

I'd say this, if you live within 45 minutes, it's a good way to kill an hour or so. I spent more time at the monthly computer sale thing next door than in there.

When one of the "big" names there is Tommy Tallarico, you get the idea. ;)

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'll probably go down.

I just was at the FT. Washington Expo last weekend for a sports memoribilia show. It's a pretty easy place to find.

I wish it was in the summer so I could go to the jersey shore on the way.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I'm going too, but I wish it wasn't becoming this "big" event they are promising. We don't have anything like it any other time, so I think it's fun for a little bit.

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
VanillaThunder said:
When one of the "big" names there is Tommy Tallarico, you get the idea. ;)

Oh damn they'd have to pay me to see him in public!

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
I'll be there, but I have to agree with a previous post, it's only good for a hour or so. Lots of Atari stuff, almost no Neo. I posted on this subject about 6 months ago to see who was going and if the Neo community in the area was willing to set up a display.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I saw the update too. Hopefully it won't change that much, I know alot of you guys didn't like last years but compaired to the one Anime/Sci-Fi/Gaming convention they do on Long Island every year, Philly Classic kicked it's ass.

I will go for sure. Free Admission is always good. Just as long as they have a nice selection of old arcade games on free play it will be worth it for me. I spent more time playing Blaster and Joust then anything last year.

ShYtFaCe

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Shit...if there's a free arcade I'm in for the straight 48. I'd kill for a nickel arcade around here, 15 cent-dollar games and asstons of freeplay. The LAN might be worthwhile, too.

Skat72

Kabuki Klasher
at least Ralph Baer.....

Being a huge Atari fan I am def. going even though the promise of a large crowd and all the talk on the website about expanding for the audience and new games and crap is a huge turn off. They even talk about having a NON VIDEO GAME related section this year. Last year I thought it was awesome simply because of atari age and all the demos they had, the free play arcade, and getting to meet Howard Scott Warshaw and having him sign my copy of E.T. was great. At least this year Ralph Baer will be signing his new book which for me makes it worth going to. The lack of Neo Geo at the convention of course is always a great shame and the one thing the convention could have used last year. It would be great if their was a neo geo table.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Well the big show's this weekend, doesn't look like many people are going, but then again there's not really much Neo-Geo stuff there.

But it'll be a treat to meet Ralph Baer and get his new book autographed.

I'll let everybody know how it was when I get back.

KaedesDisciple

Angel's Love ,
20 Year Member
Well, if anyone sees me and wants to say hi, I'm about 5'10" and thin with spiked brown hair. I'll be wearing a blue Less than Jake shirt, ripped up blue jeans with a Jack Daniel's lanyard out of one pocket, a black leather jacket and a black one shoulder bag.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I went yesterday and thought there were less vendors than previous shows, the arcade section was lacking (no fighting games anywhere), and that some of the vendors were charging outrageous prices (Good Deal Games :oh_no: ).

The attendance seems higher and there was G4 walking around covering the event, but personally I liked the ecgxpo better.

KaedesDisciple

Angel's Love ,
20 Year Member
So I'm back. Yes the arcade section did seem smaller than it did last year and there seemed to be fewer smaller independent dealers. I hunted down a few good items I was looking for at half decent prices. I watched my brother's friend blast his way to victory in the Halo 2 tourney, and got my own ass beat unmerciful in the smash bros tourney (that's what happens when you don't play it for 6 months). My gf entered the nintendo tourney for the '90 world champ cart but the controller was busted. I had just as much fun as I did last year walking around the atari age section, I love seeing their new stuff in action and seeing the proto stuff they have out. I had some fun window shopping and answering my gf's questions about things that I look at and why. The last thing I did was stick around for the auction and raffle, I won a nice little bag o shit in the raffle and won a sealed 2600 commando in the auction, half the money went to charity so I didn't care if I spent a little over what I should have.

Aside from the food sucking ass, we definitely had fun.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Kaede, was your girlfriend wearing a green shirt and you were giving her a backrub? If so I was the guy in the red nintendo shirt that went first. Turns out they gave everybody that played with the busted controler a second chance, so I went from number 5 to 3, but the last person put me back to 4 and I just won a SWAG bag.

I had fun, got the Sega Mastersystem converter for my Genny for 20 bucks in the box and a bunch of games for 45 bucks. I also got a book and finally finished my Atari 2600 Star Wars games collection. My one friend won the Episode 3 stand up so we folded that and put it in the van for the ride home.

The arcade area was a lot smaller then last year, but getting to play the cockpit Sinistar that only FIVE existed in the world was awesome so I got a ton of pictures I hope that next year they'll add some more games to the arcade and maybe include newer games as well.

KaedesDisciple

Angel's Love ,
20 Year Member
Oh shit that was you? LOLOL yea that was us all right and she'll be pissed to find out she could have had a second chance. Oh well, there's always next year...