Zed Blade - stage & weapon questions

elbarto

Super Spy Agent
How many stages does this game have?

I got to stage 5 earlier, just wondered how far through the game that was..

Last edited:

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
elbarto said:
How many stages does this game have?

I got to stage 5 earlier, just wondered how far through the game that was..

There are 8 stages total.

elbarto

Super Spy Agent
Cheers :)

Back to practicing I guess.. still not sure on what the "best" weapon setup is. The A.A missiles seem nice and powerful though.

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
I actually like this game.. and yes there are 8 stages

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
wizkid007 said:
I actually like this game.. and yes there are 8 stages

I like the game too......

That game spent a long time in the Big Red before I took it out..

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
elbarto said:
Cheers :)

Back to practicing I guess.. still not sure on what the "best" weapon setup is. The A.A missiles seem nice and powerful though.

I use Uncle Beard with Wave shot, straight missiles, and 45 degree rear shot (I don't remember the exact names and I'm too lazy to go check haha)

there may be better weapon configurations for finishing the game, but this much is sure - don't EVER use the other two ships, always use Uncle Beard. Not only does he get 4 bombs instead of 3, but he actually earns more points than the other two pilots too! Firing shots against the ground or a wall earn 50 points per shot, the other pilots give 10 or 20 points. So it really adds up, especially with constant firing of the wave shot. Even if you're more focused on getting far on one credit instead of playing for score, it'd still be wise to get as high a score as possible, since extra lives are awarded at 200k, 800k, and 2 million.

I've managed to finish the game a couple times on one credit, but it's pretty difficult. The game raises rank as you survive longer on one life, throwing more and more bullets at you... then when you die it gets easier for a little while. Doesn't seem to be a way to "control" rank other than dying.

Truth be told, I don't think the game is quite as bad as some people say it is, but I always did find it kinda bland... the only thing that kept me playing was the music. MY GOD THE STAGE 4 MUSIC IS SO GOOD. If the music was as bad as the graphics, I probably wouldn't have played it more than a few times ;)

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
The problem with Zed Blade's graphics is that there just aren't enough of them. Nice screenshots but you see that same damn cloud and planet over a thousand times.

You took the words right out of my mouth about Uncle Beard and the air to air missiles.

The air to surface missiles give you better damage at the earlier power up levels, so it's good for practics, but if you're going for a one life run I'd stick with air to air.

Why the game has weapons other than the wave shot is beyond me.

The game isn't all that bad, but Last Resort, Pulstar and the like make it pretty unnecessary. More awesome music would have helped.

I like how in the later stages, you get your powerups from those mini-boss type enemies instead of just a slow ship or series of weak enemies.

elbarto

Super Spy Agent
BBH said:
..always use Uncle Beard. Not only does he get 4 bombs instead of 3, but he actually earns more points than the other two pilots too!

You aren't kidding! my best before was 766k/stage 5, switched to el Beardo and racked up 920k only getting to stage 4. Just need to adjust to the slower speed now, I can't "panic dodge" as well with this ship :emb:

Thx for the tips..

EDIT - 1.4M/stage 5 :D

Last edited:

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
elbarto said:
ust need to adjust to the slower speed now, I can't "panic dodge" as well with this ship :emb:

Yeah the one problem Beard gives me is once those humanoid robots with the staff/guns start coming en masse in level five and up.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
I really dig Zed Blade, it isn't one of the more recognized shooters but it has a flair of it's own. It's got some really great music too.