KOFMI MAniax

athenafan

n00b
from cyberfan
http://www.planetdreamcast.com/orochinagi/cyberfan/main.htm

SNK Playmore USA today announced a new title, literally. KOF: Maximum Impact will now be dubbed KOF: Maximum Impact - Maniax. The game will be the first original KOF game for the Xbox when it hits shelves in June. SNK also revealed a few more details on the game. Maniax will feature a "stop-action camera" that lets players freeze the action to "photograph" their fighters from any angle, in addition to featuring both English and Japanese languages.

Hei

New Challenger
I guess that's good news to Xbox owners. Too bad its not a very good game... but I would definately like to try it online.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
haha its a subtle tribute to our KOF MANIAK crew. =P

Seriously speaking, I am as curious as the next. I didnt give the first game a chance. I just have a really shallow approach to how technical 3d fighters outside of tekken and vf are..

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Playmore - extreme rehashing and shitty new style games.

ken_dong

Sakura's Bank Manager
i heard mi is a shitty game, but... is it somewhat balanced? ^^

I'm talkin about tiers, obviously ^

athenafan

n00b
more from cyberfan website

The fact that Maximum Impact has an online mode is instantly enticing. What's more, the game has a deep set of options for custom games. There are quick matches, optimatches, and "create a match." Players are able to fight one-on-one or setup a team battle with control over the power gauge, points per round, match time, and whether they want to play anyone, or just the people on a friends list. There will also tournaments and statistic lists that can be organized according to weekly and monthly data. Also, friends lists are available from the start menu at any time. The only thing missing is the option to create custom soundtracks. Nothing compliments an online brawler like rocking out to a personalized play list..."

recon_zero

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
I wasn't crazy about MI but to me it was decent. The name is kinda idiotic tho. MANIAX.

sinister

n00b
All real KOFs were better. Hell the real Fatal Fury Wild Ambition(not the 32 bit version) was a better game. This game is however decent and better than the street fighter EX series. Also snk games look unique as 2d games because of snk's style but as a 3d game it looks bloody average

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
I gotta say, I put some time into Maximum Impact and find it to be a relatively balanced, very fun game.

It unfortunately was dead on arrival in the US because the Japanese version is horrendously broken, so most of the gameplay-centric SNK fans passed on it. Shame since the North American version fixes the wall juggling and damage levels and is very nicely tuned. It's also one of the few 3D fighters that I feel plays almost as fast as a 2D one.

I think it would appeal to Fatal Fury fans. If you check out the gameplay system, pacing and moves, it feels like this was going to be Wild Ambition 2 or Real Bout 3 or something at first.

Fatal Fury fans might get into the game faster as well, as most people who think it's broken are apparently unaware that you can dodge roll and sidestep. You can do this inbetween the supposedly "unavoidable" "endless" combos which aren't even physically possible in the US version (though obviously some infinites are still in there if you don't dodge at all).

The Maniax bit on the name is pretty dumb. Adding random extreme words onto the upgrade title on the Japanese releases for games happens all the time (Hell, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne Maniacs, Guilty Gear XX # Reload: The Midnight Carnival, try those out ten times fast) and I wish that didn't spread here.

Aesthetically I have no real problems with the game. The soundtrack is excellent overall and the backgrounds are very nice. Character models are good enough for a game this fast. I'd rather be able to hop in and Super Argentine Backbreak someone than spend half a second watching Clark get ready to run forward or something. It will be nice to see it in higher resolution on the XBox, high definition compatibility (like on KoF2002/2003) would also be fantastic.

I used to think Wild Ambition was better than this but I'm having more fun with this overall at the moment.

The collector's version with the extra DVD is worth it for the camp value alone. You get a profile of each fighter with a text blurb as well as a great overly dramatic English speaking guy talking about how Terry's the legendary wolf and always ready for battle and such and there's a little dialogue like this for every character. It's GOLD. It also has a quick interview with the King of Fighters series producer and she has some interesting stuff to say about why the game is built the way it is to try to preserve the pacing of the 2D KoFs.

Overall I find the game to be a lot of fun, I'm glad I bought it. I think you can get it for $30 now at most places (less if you get the game itself without the extra DVD, most non EB/Gamestop places sell it like this) so if people are on the fence, I'd reccomend it once it's $20 or less everywhere.

All the Live play options make the XBox version pretty tempting. What I'm really hoping for are some more characters though. There was that point where SNK wanted to put Geese into every game again, yet they blew it on a game that takes place IN Southtown? :blow_top:

Last edited:

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Neo Rasa said:
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne Maniacs
I was thinking of that as well. I suppose if Maniacs is a "random extreme" word, it was too much to hope that it was a colloquial Japanese term meaning, "now including Dante from Devil May Cry?" ;)

As for gameplay, I never felt cheesed out the few times I played the game. Its biggest issue is that there is nothing about the gameplay that really compels you to play it. They needed something deeper and more innovative than, "oooh, we are 3D now, wowee!" For example, every KOF since '94 has had an innovation that changes the gameplay to something people have never seen before (though '98 is argueable). Adding wall juggles to KOF is not an innovation by any means.

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
Heh, you know if they put Dante from Devil May Cry into Maximum Impact that would probably boost sales quite a bit (had it been done on the PS2 version). Sad that the lone wolf can't sell a game any more. :(

I think, in '98, you could argue that the fact that you could choose whether you wanted '94~'95 or '96~'98 gameplay was the innovation. The only problem was that maybe two characters were actually useful with the former mode.

It would have been nice if they were more ambitious with Maximum Impact and maybe had ringouts, destructable walls, stuff like that. Overall though I'm just happy it's better than the PSX "Wild Ambition" and "Warriors' Rage."

Verythrax: The source itself is usually reasonably accurate. SNK announced an XBox port a couple of months ago anyway. At the moment it's supposed to be May 31st for the US, June for Japan, and July for Europe. I expect the typical delays to hit though like with everything SNK related that will offset it two months. So end of July for XBox Maximum Impact in the US. ;)

Skimming the Gamefaqs board for this game there's a thread of people asking if there's a way to get a larger size image of that Lien Neville picture on SNK US's page where she's wearing a bikini. This is the result of their quest:
http://img50.exs.cx/img50/5096/teazed7yc.jpg
http://img53.exs.cx/img53/6575/assatsnk5xf.jpg

Zing! :loco:

Last edited:

SilverAngel

Member,
I recently brought the PS2 version because it was £20 in Game. I hate the english voices I have only heard Yuri's so far and am extremely disspointed, I dread to hear the rest.

I will buy this one though as well I always wanted the Xbox one and it sounds interesting.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
KOF: MI is a solid, underappreciated game.

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
I personally didn't mind the english voices. Some characters needed work while others were ok. I say the game's underrated as well. I enjoyed it.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Neo Rasa sed:

>>Sad that the lone wolf can't sell a game any more.<<

SNK has no one to blame for that but themselves. Rather than going the Capcom route and keeping their original #1 fighter as their most marketable entity for worldwide marketing purposes, they shifted the focus to a character that never really caught on with Western audiences the same way. Kyo's cool and all, but he doesn't possess that same 'legendary video game character/mascot' quality the way Terry does. Terry was an old school design, and his resonance as a video game icon is firmly established in our minds so we fans pay homage to that.

If SNK wanted the Lone Wolf to sell games, they should have kept him as the focal point of the 'Southtown universe' games.

As for KOF: MI, it's not a classic but it's fun. The only real complaint from me: the English voices are TERRIBLE. When English version Rock says 'My blood...BOILS!', it makes the baby Jesus cry. The option for Japanese languages is enough for me to justify the Xbox purchase. The game should look even better, too.

And Mignon must fucking die. Immediately.

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
Mignon Beart (Haha they named her "A fine piece of meat") is one of my least favorite characters ever in anything. And what the hell is up with Chae Lim? I mean fans were so happy when Kim was dropped out of FF3 right?

I gotta say, if they went through with it and actually made Maximum Impact a fully Wild Ambition-esque game and focus more on the FF characters, I'd argue that it probably would have done better in the US than it would have as King of Fighters. It's surprising to note that the few 2D fighter fans that come into the Gamestops/EB around here aren't into King of Fighters because the franchise had no home presence in the US, but they're ALL about Street Fighter, World Heroes, Fatal Fury, all those early nineties series. It's a shame SNK of Japan wants to establish a strong presence in the US again but won't capitalize on those and the other classic arcade games that are the reason they originally had a strong US presence in the first place.

You're dead on right about SNK losing the mascot focus with Terry Bogard in the US. Even Capcom got this right; the Capcom vs. SNK US cover features TERRY and Ryu, the way it should be.

It reminds me of Sega right after the US Saturn launch. They had Sonic, the coolest character in town at the time, and instead of making a Sonic game or promoting Sonic they suddenly tried to make every single character from Bug to Pepperachou to Janet from Virtua Cop to Jeffry McWild Sega's "mascot" within the span of like three months of marketing.

Whatever. If SNK had a scene in the KoF'94 intro where Mask/G-Mantle is driving a cab and he drops Kyo off in front of a King of Fighters billboard things would have been different, but no.