Anyone have one of these?

wookiewombat

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
i believe one of the members on here bought one and wrote up a review, lemme see if i can find the thread

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I had one, its a MAS Systems Supernova. Don't buy off ebay, buy it direct from them. Sold it when I got my first candy cab. Its a badass supergun for the money and a great system for starters. You can't go wrong. The process of ordering was slow for some people, but I had no problems and they were very nice. Its solid and the sticks are GREAT.

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
^ thats a relief to hear there good cause I auctually bought one just last week and it should be here pretty soon. I found out tho that the extra harness doesn't fit Cps 2 boards which really sucks, but I can get an adapter or something. I think it was money well spent especially for my first one.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
INfintido said:
I auctually just bought one last week and it should be here pretty soon. I found out tho that the extra harness doesn't fit Cps 2 boards which really sucks, but I can get an adapter or something. I think it was money well spent.

I was very pleased with mine. Yeah, I don't know why they don't make the standard on it for CPS2, I think they will add both if you ask though.

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
pixeljunkie said:
I was very pleased with mine. Yeah, I don't know why they don't make the standard on it for CPS2, I think they will add both if you ask though.

I e-mailed the guy and he said he would have to get back to me. But for the time being can I just just hook up the normal harness to my A board and just run it to keep the battery alive, beause i'm getting a Darkstalkers board from NeoGeo on Brain and he's putting a new battery in it and it would really suck if the battery died. So can I hook it up with out having the extra 3 buttons!?

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
i made my own and I wish I had documented it..because I can't find any info on the net about it. I just shaved down an IDE cable, or floppy cable [can't remember which] and went off a pin-out for the CPS2 AUX harness and bought a plug that connected to the CPS1 harness on the supernova. Worked fine, but looked hideous.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Looks like a nice system, but what is the purpose of the built-in speaker?

neosportskid

Banned
I hate that built in speaker and they dont include the wires to let you here sound through the tv. You will have to spend about 7 dollars at radio shack for those.
Only real complaint is that the controllers are at least 3 pounds to heavy. But if you are big it shouldnt be that big a problem.

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
I just e-mailed that guy again (there very fast BTW) and it's gonna cost $35 for an adapter to be made so I can get the extra 3 buttons on cps2/cps3 boards, and it just slips on and off so i'm pretty much set now!

Iain

n00b
Never been convinced by prebuilt superguns .... always make my own.

It is very easy as long as you can solder.

Have a look here ...http://chadsarcade.co.uk/oldsite/index.htm

the extra harness is certainly a very easy project ... even someone who hasn't built a supergun should be able to knock one up in an evening.

Far easier to expand it if you build it yourself !

Iain

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
That particular unit is modeled after the Super Nova by MAS systems... www.massystems.com

The MAS can be great, and it can be "okay". I can make no claim to the quality of product that seller in your link makes. MAS, however, uses different parts for every system they make - it's not exactly a mass production wonder. I'd strongly suggest that if you buy a Super Nova that you buy one used from someone here on the boards that can be trusted. That way you can get a first hand word on the quality of the unit. If you buy direct you will not know how good of a system you will get.

The MAS is made of wood. That allows it to be easily modified. It also comes with 2 arcade quality joysticks.

I've owned a few Novas. I've seen them run side by side vega juniors, sigmas, and cabs. They are just fine. I gave them up when I purchased D-lite's component gun. That is a damn fine unit and it will take something wonderous to make me change my setup again.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
neo_X7 said:
Is it ture that Super Nova's have shit S-video output?

Not really. I've seen a Nova and Sigma side by side and the Nova was sharper.

However, it's like I said. This is a guy making stuff in his basement with varying parts. Each one will be different.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
ForeverSublime said:
I've owned a few Novas. I've seen them run side by side vega juniors, sigmas, and cabs. They are just fine. I gave them up when I purchased D-lite's component gun. That is a damn fine unit and it will take something wonderous to make me change my setup again.
I have heard nothing but good things about D-Lites work. What do you like so much about the component gun that it blows away other superguns?

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
neo_X7 said:
I have heard nothing but good things about D-Lites work. What do you like so much about the component gun that it blows away other superguns?

The JAMMA harness is long... 13 inches I think. That's very useful to me because some of my boards are quite awkwardly configurated. That also puts very little stress on the harness. The novas have much shorter JAMMA harnesses and when you are twisting and turning it all the time to fit some of your boards those harnesses begin to come appart - I've had that problem and a friend has also had the same problem.

External controls - the power supply itself is stagnant, but the only thing it can't power up are large things such as 6 slot motherboards, Hyper Neo Geos, etc. Norton can modify the power supply so you can adjust it to your liking.

The RGB/Brightness controls are also external. When I had my nova I was always opening it up to change the power/RGB. Opening it up all the time was a hassle, and the controls were hard to get to. D-lites unit has everything on the outside and it is all easy to manipulate.

Joysticks: It uses neo geo joysticks. That said, if you don't want to use neo sticks you can easily build your own or customize another stick since you can easily obtain the joystick pinouts on this board. Not only is the unit wired for Neo sticks but it is also wired for Atomiswave 5 button setups.

Power LED - There's a power LED that only lights up when a board is properly plugged in. More than once I have plugged in a board and had no signal on my TV set- thinking the board was dead. Believe me, when you spend a few hundred bucks on a PCB or you have a very rare PCB - anything to let you know your board is still okay is a good thing. When I noticed the power LED wasn't on, it was a big relief to know I just had to plug the PCB in the harness a bit more carefully because the JAMMA edge was a bit offcenter.

The unit also has a digital audio out.

The unit is small, but doesn't truly take up less space when you are using it. When it is stored away it doesn't take up mcuh room at all. The Nova on the other hand allows you the lay a board on top of it while it's plugged in. That conserves area when the unit is in use. You have to lay a board next to the componentGun while it is in use - so it actually takes up the same/more room (in another thread I took the average/mode size of all my PCBs and compared the area used between the componentGun and the Super Nova - the Nova took up less area in both cases when in use).

Component does make a big difference. It does.

Also, you get the security of D-lite being right here on these boards. He can answer any problems you have, and help if anything goes wrong. I've dealt with MAS system's customer service - and many others on this board have too. Not good.

What would I add standard to make the componentGun better?: A kick harness and a test switch.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
neo_X7 said:
Is it ture that Super Nova's have shit S-video output?

Mine was about on par with a JRok, you'd have to have both side by side to tell the difference. Just as good as any console I had on s-video.

Konig

NAM-75 Vet
I was just wondering what the "D-Lite" version looks like....Im always interested to see someones handy work. I saw some sort of console"ized" MVS that was very well done not too long ago.

Konig

NAM-75 Vet
what game is that for? I have never seen it anywhere, looks very different graphics wise from most fighters

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
Thanks for the props Matt.

The MAS superguns are exactly as described here so far: varying quality. I've seen some with specatular video and others with horrendous output. I myself don't like the button layout on the one in the pics since that's built for cramping your hands. And the assembly is cheapo with fairly poor alignment and quality of some parts.

By the way, new style of supergun I made:
KGun.jpg

KGunBack.jpg

KGunSide.jpg

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
/\ holy dammit christmas thats nice looking! AWESOME WORK

Curious though, you have a CPS2 AUX harness on there, but it looks setup for Neo controllers...I assume you'd have to make your own sticks to take advantage of the harness?

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Konig said:
what game is that for? I have never seen it anywhere, looks very different graphics wise from most fighters

Plays way different, too... like Karate Champ.

By Mitchell Corp. - same company that made Osman, Pang, etc. Delicious games.