Locks for Big Red US Cab Coin Door

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I'm not sure man..
I originally tried to get the locks for my Big Red's coin door by taking one lock to Home Depot and matching it up..
I bought several types since the guy had no clue what size I needed nor did I.

Nothing they had worked just right...the closest one I had to file the door lock hole a tiny bit to get it in....and I had to bend the bar to get the door to close tight.
But:It looked just like the one that was in the cab when I got it....(I have no clue where that one is)
The bottom lock I made to work with the key for the top lock myself.

All I can really offer is a pick of my lock if you need it..

I'd take a measurement of the hole and see what it says...I'm not sure what the 7/8" size measures..

This IMO would work..but I think it's too long....My locks look about a half inch shorter..
b1_1_b.JPG

The Neo Gold had locks in it already but no keys..So made those locks work with a Key from the Touchmaster 7000 that has the same type locks.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
A pic might help, also I got to wondering if the marquee door locks are the same except for the hook latch instead of the bar latch. If that's true I can measure those since they're original in my cab and see what size they are. I think the 7/8ths measures the length of the lock.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
lithy said:
A pic might help, also I got to wondering if the marquee door locks are the same except for the hook latch instead of the bar latch. If that's true I can measure those since they're original in my cab and see what size they are. I think the 7/8ths measures the length of the lock.

also I got to wondering if the marquee door locks are the same

I'll check..

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Good thinking Lithy..

I took one of my locks out of the Coin Door/the bottom door lock since it has the S Type bent bar..
The top lock has a bent bar that's not bent like this one is.it's more of a straight piece of metal with the banana curve bend in it. :tickled:

From the misc Locks I bought at Home Depot I put this S Type Bent bar on the bottom lock since it worked better..
And I bent it slightly so I could get a tightly closed door..(I'm picky about the doors closing tight)
.......Putting the Coin Door lock next to the one in the Overhead door it looks like those will work with an S Type locking bar..(the threads are just shorter/taller---that's doesn't matter)

The Overhead door locks are just slightly taller then coin doors locks,just a tad taller....but they might fit so right that the S Type bar may not have to be bent.
I'm going to say that the Overhead door locks would work..

Try one in the Coin door to see if it goes in the hole since you are taking one out..
You can get a sort of eye measurement to where the bar is going to be..when that Overhead door lock is in the coin door.

Keep Reciept as many places will take the locks back,but ask...if they do..

You know..now that you mentioned the Overhead door locks I may take one out and see if I can get it matched up..just to see if they could match it up.
I keep going to Home "crap" Depot..because of it's open Hours..I could just go to Betson's..but that place is only open to 5PM and........... no Weekends(Stupid IMO)

2005_0414_150215AA.jpg

2005_0414_150428AA.jpg

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
These locks can/should be purchased from a locksmith, they will have access to a lot more of the parts you would need to get them to work in your cab without modification. I've replaced locks in Taito and Atari cabs, and each have had quirks... one trip to the locksmith with the old lock and he sent me home with exactly what I needed.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
nruva said:
These locks can/should be purchased from a locksmith, they will have access to a lot more of the parts you would need to get them to work in your cab without modification. I've replaced locks in Taito and Atari cabs, and each have had quirks... one trip to the locksmith with the old lock and he sent me home with exactly what I needed.

Yep..I agree with you on that..

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I have no original door locks :(

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I have some new Info on this lithy..

I went and bought two matching coin door lock sets ($6.00) for my Tekken 3 machine at Home Depot
(7/8 in size)..(Drawer And Door 7/8 Utility Lock)..
NOTE: with these locks for some reason you have to file the coin lock hole very slight to get them in..
It's like rubbing a file over the lock holes ever so slightly..maybe just removing a millimeter or two.
But it's easy and simple.

I had too the Lock out if the Neo Geo/Big Red to use as a match..My original has a formed cam)The purchased ones come with long straight bar cam and a formed cam/lock bar..
The long straight Cams will not fit the Top door on the Big Red..(short straight cams will work but need to be bent.

So you need a set of 7/8 locks with....... formed cams(curve)..(as I tried them in the Big Red tonight)

Unfortunately Home Depot only had 2 sets left of matching keys or I would of bought a bunch and used the same key for all my cabs.
If I can find another place someday(Betson) I'll do that..

050508012902.jpg

I still have the package if you need a frontal scan..

Direct Replacement for the Coin Door Bulbs is (B194) Phillips Bulb (194)12V
Found at Auto Stores/Auto Zone/Shop Right.