Should I get an Irem Madonna?

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Hey guys, I posted this thread in the Arcade Central, but I think it might actually be better in this section.

An Irem Madonna's a cab that has a rotatable monitor, just like a Taito Egret:
Irem.jpg

IremFrontOpen.jpg

Some guy offered me an Irem Madonna for $275, is that a good price? I haven't seen pictures, but let's just say for a ballpark that the monitor is perfect and the cab isn't yellowed. How old are these things? Are we talking Astro City old, or Aero city old? And lastly, how's the size? If anyone knows anything about this cab, please let me know.

Would you guys reccommend I snag this up, or wait and get an Egret?

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I'm not constructively adding to this thread, but I am curious after seeing those pics. I know the Egret rotates easily from what I've read. 1 person can do it. This looks like every other candy cab I've seen. Which means 2 people and lots of man-grunting to make your neighbors wonder about you, to rotate it. Unless there is some magical device underneath the monitor there?

BIG

sony fanboy
I've thought about buying one for use strictly with my vert-shmups,but went against the idea due to the fact that I've never seen it in action,since the picture quality is one of my biggest concern when it comes to buying cabinets.

From the looks of it,the Irem Madona could very well be from very same era as the Sega Aero City (metal build and boxy design are dead giveaways).

However,since you're buying this for vert-shmupping purposes,it'd probably be the best of your interest to check the cab's screen orientation before committing,since older cabs tend to rotate clockwise,whereas newer ones rotate counter-clockwise. This is very important,especially when it comes to the newer Cave PCBs (DOJ and on),as they do not support the screen-flip option.

BIG-

Last edited:

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
I say you hold out for an egret if you think there's any chance of finding one stateside.

Up to you, though.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Bigp0ppaLarge said:
However,since you're buying this for vert-shmupping purposes,it'd probably be the best of your interest to check the cab's screen orientation before committing,since older cabs tend to rotate clockwise,whereas newer ones rotate counter-clockwise. This is very important,especially when it comes to the newer Cave PCBs (DOJ and on),as they do not support the screen-flip option.

BIG-

Ahh shit, I would have never imagined that the newer Cave games might not feature the screen-flip option. If I picked this baby up, it would mainly be running Cave shooters... Sh*t.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
The madonna is an older cab (aero city days). The screen is also smaller than 29". I played on one. It's a decent cab, however I'd personally hold out for an Egret.

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
Briggs had a Madonna and I played on it before.

It was cool, I really dug it.

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
And just as I thought...that is Briggs cabinet.

I thought it looked familar.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Briggs is the man. Bought my big red off him.

Still going strong. :buttrock: