NEO AES PAL-M/NTSC

hiboriano

n00b
I have NEOGEO AES (NEO-AES3-5) and the exit of video of it this in the PAL-M.
How make to come back to the original, that is NTSC

follows photo:

neo.jpg

Thanks,

Kleber Canedo

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
The PAL-M is a misnomer, M refering to the 4.5 MHz intre carrier gap between video and sound with the RF modulation, so lets forget about the M for the moment please. Its not a recognised TV standard.

We are basically talking about PAL - NTSC conversion. MKL is the resident expert on this.

Kpj

Larfleeze, Wielder of the Orange Light. , formerly
You need to change the video crystal & a few jumpers in order to mod this system back to NTSC.

If I can find pictures of this procedure, I'll upload them to this thread.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
I don't see the picture but if you look at the Sony CXA1145 in the top left part of the board you'll see two jumpers marked NTSC1 and PAL2. If the system is set to PAL the NTSC1 will be off and the PAL2 will be on. You'll have to reverse things if you want to make it NTSC. You'll also have to replace the crystal (that square silver thing) with a 3.57MHz one (the one you have now should be 4.43MHz). Also check the PAL1 jumper location in the top right part of the board: if the jumper is there remove/cut it (it's for the 50/60Hz thing).

edit: OK now I see the pic. Your "open" (NTSC1) must be closed and "closed" (PAL2) must be open.

Last edited:

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Kenny Boy said:
You need to change the video crystal & a few jumpers in order to mod this system back to NTSC.

If I can find pictures of this procedure, I'll upload them to this thread.

Kenny Boy, thats a fine looking set up, but I cant help thinking of a four slice toaster
:tickled:

hiboriano

n00b
I changed the crystal and changed jumper. But he continues leaving black and white image in ntsc. Exists another procedure that I can make?

Thnks

Kleber Canedo

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
That is the correct crystal, on your piccy bottom left of the xtal you will see a variable capacitor, trimming that may fix this- but before doing so I would wait for MKLs opinion. I confess to be no expert on home systems.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Check pin 7 of the CXA: if you get 5v the jumpers have been set correctly for NTSC. If you get ground they're still set for PAL.

hiboriano

n00b
Exists 6 resistors in the left of crystal, 3 of 6.8k and 3 of 3k, of 6.8k it seems that it was changed, will be that it can be this?

Photo:

resistors.jpg

Kleber