Import PS2 shmup recommendations

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
After living without one for a long, long time, I'm finally on the verge of getting myself a Japanese PS2. I want one just so I can play import shmups on it. I know there are a bunch of 'em, I just don't know what they are beyond the well-known ones, like espGaluda, Gigawing Generations, and the infamous XII Stag.

What 2-D shooters would you all recommend for Jap PS2? I don't have much of a "to buy" list beyond espGaluda.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
PSX:
DonPachi
DoDonPachi

PS2:
Espgaluda
DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
ResOGlas said:
PSX:
DonPachi
DoDonPachi

PS2:
Espgaluda
DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou

I have DoDonPachi on Saturn- I'm assuming the Dai-Ou-Jou is different, correct?

Segata_Sanshiro

Tesse's Maintainence Man
15 Year Member
dodonpachi's better on the psx. dai ou jou is a different game entirely and it's fucking great.

Other good shooters are strikers 1945 1 and 2, and the psikyo collections volumes 2+3. Salamander deluxe pack is great too.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
Unless you're playing DDP on Saturn in TATE, the PSX version is a much better conversion.

And yes, DAI-OU-JOU is different. A very good game.

If one has to get Psikyo games I'd recommend the non-vertical ones ;) But they're almost all on Sega consoles... Shooting Collection Vol. 2 is recommended because of Sengoku Blade. Sengoku Ace is a nice diversion.

Last edited:

Segata_Sanshiro

Tesse's Maintainence Man
15 Year Member
Kristian: You're saying Saturn ddp is better in tate mode? I kinda thought the psx version was...you have to select the ship in the options screen yeah, but I kinda view that as an advantage

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
No, I didn't mean that, but when you do play the Saturn version in TATE, it's not that much worse and it doesn't warrant spending the abnormal amount the PSX version has fetched recently.

Eric Straven

Banned
There's no game left unmentioned that I would recommend...but put Dodonpachi: "Dai-Ou-Jou" on top priority. It's a great game, one of the best 2d shooters for the ps2...
Also, do consider trying the Gradius games and also a game known as "Psyvariar" even though it is a departure from traditional 2D shmups...all good, in my opinion.

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Eric Straven said:
There's no game left unmentioned that I would recommend...but put Dodonpachi: "Dai-Ou-Jou" on top priority. It's a great game, one of the best 2d shooters for the ps2...
Also, do consider trying the Gradius games and also a game known as "Psyvariar" even though it is a departure from traditional 2D shmups...all good, in my opinion.

Yeah, I've been tempted to pick up Psyvariar 2 on Dreamcast, but have always passed on it. Sounds like the improvements to the PS2 version would make that the one to get.

So it would be espGaluda, DoDonPachi DaiOuJou, Gigawing Generations, Psikyo Collections, possibly the Salamander collection. That about it?

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
I would prioritize the Cave games first, and then GWG. I don't care if other people don't like it. I find it to be really good. It's the best new shooter I've got since ESPGaluda, and I've bought pretty much everything (even though that isn't exactly a lot) that came out after Galuda.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Kristian Meller said:
I would prioritize the Cave games first, and then GWG. I don't care if other people don't like it. I find it to be really good. It's the best new shooter I've got since ESPGaluda, and I've bought pretty much everything (even though that isn't exactly a lot) that came out after Galuda.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. ESPGaluda was really the game that piqued my interest, and then I was just wondering what else to pick up.

Thanks for all the responses so far! :buttrock:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
In addition to ESPGaluda and DDP DoJ, I recommend:

- Shienryu (a.k.a Steel Dragon EX, if you love the Raiden series, you will also love this one. Contains the original arcade version and EX, a "vertizontal" souped-up sequel)

- Psikyo Collections 1-3 (1 = Strikers 1945 and 1945 II, 2 = Sengoku Ace/Blade, 3 = Sol Divide and Dragon Blaze)

- R-Type Final (tho it's probably best to get the domestic version because there's a lot of text in it (ship descriptions, etc.)).

- Fantasy Zone (if you're into that kind of stuff, came out as part of the Sega Ages series iirc, quite challenging, despite its cuddly looks)

- Silpheed (well, I like it... played the first one on Mega CD a lot)

- Gradius III and IV collection

I don't like XII Stag. Except for the side blasts that you can trigger by shaking the stick, it's a run-of-the-mill shmup that isn't really bad, but after a few test runs, I was glad that I didn't buy it. That is, if you're a shmup nerd, you may want to pick it up anyway, but IMO there are more interesting games to spend your money on.

Oh, and since you own a Saturn, you should get Battle Garegga if you haven't already, really a cool game.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Takumaji said:
In addition to ESPGaluda and DDP DoJ, I recommend:

- Shienryu (a.k.a Steel Dragon EX, if you love the Raiden series, you will also love this one. Contains the original arcade version and EX, a "vertizontal" souped-up sequel)

- Psikyo Collections 1-3 (1 = Strikers 1945 and 1945 II, 2 = Sengoku Ace/Blade, 3 = Sol Divide and Dragon Blaze)

- R-Type Final (tho it's probably best to get the domestic version because there's a lot of text in it (ship descriptions, etc.)).

- Fantasy Zone (if you're into that kind of stuff, came out as part of the Sega Ages series iirc, quite challenging, despite its cuddly looks)

- Silpheed (well, I like it... played the first one on Mega CD a lot)

- Gradius III and IV collection

I don't like XII Stag. Except for the side blasts that you can trigger by shaking the stick, it's a run-of-the-mill shmup that isn't really bad, but after a few test runs, I was glad that I didn't buy it. That is, if you're a shmup nerd, you may want to pick it up anyway, but IMO there are more interesting games to spend your money on.

Oh, and since you own a Saturn, you should get Battle Garegga if you haven't already, really a cool game.

Oh, I have Battle Garegga, all right- and I like it quite a lot. I really dig Raizing. Between that and Soukyugurentai, I love that company.

And I also like the Raiden series a lot, so I will definitely have to add Shienryu to my list. Already have R-Type Final and Silpheed, and Psikyo Collection 2 is the one I really want of the collections. I played Sol Divide a lot when it came out, and I was a bit unimpressed, and I have Strikers 1945 II on PSX, so collection 1 can wait a bit.

Is Gradius III and IV easier to find on import? I have a friend who's been looking for an American copy for over a year, and hasn't been able to find it.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
jro said:
Is Gradius III and IV easier to find on import? I have a friend who's been looking for an American copy for over a year, and hasn't been able to find it.

I bought mine from www.play-asia.com, and they still have it on stock for $20 a piece.

BIG

sony fanboy
J,whatever you do,avoid Gigawing Generations at all cost.

You've been warned.

BIG-

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Bigp0ppaLarge said:
J,whatever you do,avoid Gigawing Generations at all cost.

You've been warned.

BIG-

Will do, BIG. I've seen enough strikes against that game over my past hour or so of 'netting that I'll take your advice. Thanks for the tip!

BIG

sony fanboy
jro said:
Will do, BIG. I've seen enough strikes against that game over my past hour or so of 'netting that I'll take your advice. Thanks for the tip!

No problem, I just didn't want you to waste $70+ on a shit game like I did. Anyway,here are a few recommendations from my personal collection:

Gunbird Collection
Psikyo Shooting Col. Vol. II & III (Vol. I is shit,don't bother)
ESPGaluda
Dodonpachi Dai-ou-jou
Shikigami no Shiro
Shikigami no Shiro II
Psyvariar Complete (Medium Unit+Revision)
Double Shienryu (Original and Remake,2 games in one)
XII Stag

BIG-

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Bigp0ppaLarge said:
No problem, I just didn't want you to waste $70+ on a shit game like I did. Anyway,here are a few recommendations from my personal collection:

Gunbird Collection
Psikyo Shooting Col. Vol. II & III (Vol. I is shit,don't bother)
ESPGaluda
Dodonpachi Dai-ou-jou
Shikigami no Shiro
Shikigami no Shiro II
Psyvariar Complete (Medium Unit+Revision)
Double Shienryu (Original and Remake,2 games in one)
XII Stag

BIG-

How is XII Stag, really? I've read far more good than bad, on shmups.com and a few other places, but I have seen a few other folks who like it. Not too bad?

BIG

sony fanboy
jro said:
How is XII Stag, really? I've read far more good than bad, on shmups.com and a few other places, but I have seen a few other folks who like it. Not too bad?

I'm quite fond of XII Stag,actually. If you like old-school shmups a la Raiden/Shienryu,then you should definitely give XII Stag a try.

BIG-

Saturn2dfreak

Mickey's Coach
avoid Choaniki Legend of the Holy Protein..You have been forewarned!

i recommend

Star Soldier ps2!!!

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
Saturn2dfreak said:
avoid Choaniki Legend of the Holy Protein..You have been forewarned!

Don't listen to this.

Head straight for the Special Love and don't look back.

Fantastic game, sidesplittingly funny.

Don't fuck with the men's beam.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
I didn't like XII Stag. The whole "wiggle" gimmick just didn't do it for me.

Don't think I'll be adding it to my shooter collection again. You should check it out for yourself though. If you don't like it, you really shouldn't have a problem getting rid of it or trading it towards another shooter.