making pcbs

stuffmonger

Baseball Star Hitter
I've been thinking lately... and... since I'm crazy and all, I got the idea that I may be able to convert a few of my old amiga games over to a jamma pcb by coding eproms to the code of the amiga games (with heavy modifications of course). Would this theoretically be possible?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Doesn't an amiga output standard RGB?

YOu should be able to just hook an amiga into a cab.

stuffmonger said:
I've been thinking lately... and... since I'm crazy and all, I got the idea that I may be able to convert a few of my old amiga games over to a jamma pcb by coding eproms to the code of the amiga games (with heavy modifications of course). Would this theoretically be possible?

Iain

n00b
Hi,

If I am reading this correctly you are talking about dumping either the OS roms or the games into an eprom and placing on an arcade board ? The answer is NO !!!!

The amiga uses several custom chips which exist only on the amiga boards .... they can be emulated but realistically only on a fast pc .......

However as pointed out above you could take an amiga motherboard and place it in a cabinet and or supergun with a few mods .... they do put out RGB with a sync at 15Khz ("standard" resolution in arcade terms) although there are other modes you can invoke that sync at higher frequencies.

Wire the rgb to the jamma rgb, mouse ports to player 1, audio to jamma, you could use the arcade power supply to power the amiga mobo ..... best to remove power socket and patch an additional line into the floppy power line ... power distribution is quite poor cerainly on the newer amigas ....could use a 1200 with hard drive to save disk swapping ....

Would be a straight forward project ... if you need any info or help give me a shout ....

Iain

stuffmonger

Baseball Star Hitter
I was hoping to be able to actually dump the games to eproms, and use something like a cps2 to run the newly coded eproms. So... there is absolutely NO way to do this? No way to rewrite the code to work using the cps2 video, processor, audio, and controls? I don't really want to need the floppys, and I don't want to have to ruin my amiga. (btw... I have an amiga 1000 :D [well... a 500 convert to 1000]) :p

Iain

n00b
Hi again !

Right - there are two ways you could do this !

1. Make a mame like pc up but run an Amiga Emulator on it .. hook controls, video out to jamma, etc.

2. Take an amiga mother board (either yours or a cheapy from ebay !!!) mod it and pop it in your cab ! Effectively an amiga board like a jamma board - swap in and out very easily.

1 is expensive ... and slow .... 2 is cheap and easy !!! Personally I am a lazy git and I would go for number 2!!!

I assume you have access to a basic soldering iron ? In which case definitely number 2 would be good ....

There is NO WAY that you could emulate the amiga custom chips (alice, denise, gary, etc) on existing arcade hardware .

Iain

stuffmonger

Baseball Star Hitter
well nuts... I guess it's off to ebay for an amiga mobo then... Thanks for the info.

Nightmare Tony

*Account control passed, on to Tony's family.Ex Ro
Actually stuffmonger, the information abnove is NOT correct.

Arcadia used an Amiga 500 with an overlay ROM board which plugged into a side slot. There were connectors set up for JAMMA.

I have one such setup, its dead right now, but will sdell it for $50. Where are you in Socal? I will have to dig it out, if I find it, you might be interested in taking a look.

http://amiga.emugaming.com/arcadia.html
http://www.winuae.net/