Final Showdown, best Japanese cabs!

What are the best Japanese cabs?

• Total voters

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
So yeah, I'm making this poll multiple choice because I know that for many of us, there can be 2 or 3 specific cabs that happen to pull your heart-strings. Anyway, I know that the Egrets have very easy-to-rotate monitors. The Egret 1 has a non-conventional design, and cool cup-holders. The Egret 2 has a more to-date cab design, but same specs as the Egret 1. The Egret 3 is one sexy bitch that sports a beautiful 29" flat screen monitor that supports both low, standard, and high resolution settings (The Sammy Atomiswave cab is manufactured by Taito and is absolutely identical to the Engret 3, and they only cost about $1000 second-hand). The Capcom Impress is about as beautiful as the standard-resolution JPN cab can get, nuff said. The Neo Candies are great cabs as well, but it's a shame that they're dedicated. The Astro's are known for their superior monitors and low cost for the cab, and Versus/Blast Cities are stunning all around but cost as much as an AW. I've never played on a Konami Windy, so I'll leave you guys to explain this one. Never played on a Madonna either. Anything else I'm missing, you guys fill in the gaps. So that's it, tell the world why your cab is the best.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Damn it, I forgot to add the Neo cabs as an option in the poll. Whatever, just give yourself a +1 and post for the Neo if that's which one you choose.

Edit: Boy does N-G.com always surprise me, we have an "Arcade Central" forum? If any mod can find the time, I'd greatly appreciate if you could move this thread over there for me. Also, I don't know if mods can edit polls (as I cannot), but if you can it would be cool if you could throw Neo Candies into my poll. Many thanks.

Last edited:

lostdog

Quiz Detective
As candies go I still think the Neo cabs are probably the nicest of the bunch... great screen, and great games, however they are limited to Neo-Geo (to an extent). So, out of the more general use cabs I'd probably pick an Aerocities simply because they are pretty generic overall. I like the Egrets, but they are strange to sit at (especially for 2p). Impress cabs are nice, but this is going to sound strange, I don't like the 29 inch screens. I feel the 25 inch cabs have sharper displays (may just be my preference or what have you). Anyway... the Sega cab would be a good single Candy to own, I'm sticking with my MVS25 though.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
lostdog said:
As candies go I still think the Neo cabs are probably the nicest of the bunch... great screen, and great games, however they are limited to Neo-Geo (to an extent). So, out of the more general use cabs I'd probably pick an Aerocities simply because they are pretty generic overall. I like the Egrets, but they are strange to sit at (especially for 2p). Impress cabs are nice, but this is going to sound strange, I don't like the 29 inch screens. I feel the 25 inch cabs have sharper displays (may just be my preference or what have you). Anyway... the Sega cab would be a good single Candy to own, I'm sticking with my MVS25 though.

I hear you about the monitors. Both the 25" and 29" inch screens look great, it's just that in Japan all the monitors have scanlines that are literally black, thus very apparent. If you check any American cabs with a 29" monitor you will immediately see that the scanlines are darker shades of the surrounding colors. That said, I'm very used to Japanese arcades and the black scanlines just seem "right" to me. Just a complex that you form I guess.....One covets what they see every day.

sven666

War Room Troll
i like my neogeocabs.. small and square.. easy to fit in and easy to renovate so that they fit into your home..

i hate cabs that look like oversized dildos and scream PLAY ME withe neoncolours.. works in an arcade but not in my house...

ed: thats the neogeo sitdown cabs with 26" screen from early 90s.. the big red neogeo cabs that seem pretty standard in the US dont exist over here... ive never seen one anyways.

Last edited:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
sven666 said:
i like my neogeocabs.. small and square.. easy to fit in and easy to renovate so that they fit into your home..

i hate cabs that look like oversized dildos and scream PLAY ME withe neoncolours.. works in an arcade but not in my house...

ed: thats the neogeo sitdown cabs with 26" screen from early 90s.. the big red neogeo cabs that seem pretty standard in the US dont exist over here... ive never seen one anyways.

Uhh... All japanese cabs are little square sit-down fiberglass cabinets. 99% of the time they are white.

ord1000

Crazed MVS Addict
I don't really know much about the different cabs, although i loved playing on the Egret 3 cab while i was in Japan. I have to votr for the Super neo 29" candy cab as that's the one i own and love!
ketsuiboard61qu.jpg

VIOLA! :glee:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
ord1000 said:
I don't really know much about the different cabs, although i loved playing on the Egret 3 cab while i was in Japan. I have to votr for the Super neo 29" candy cab as that's the one i own and love!
ketsuiboard61qu.jpg

VIOLA! :glee:

Beautiful. You wouldn't want to part with that Ketsui board by any chance, would 'ya? ;)

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
ken_dong said:
Neo cabs, really ^
Shhh, I know. I was hoping someone wouldn'd link the direct relevance. :emb:

I'm so used to "Big-Reds", that Neo Candies kind of elude my concept of Japanese cabs...They're made by Taito Anyway.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I've never played on a japanese cab so I cant vote but I'd assume I'd go for a Egret 2 for my shooters.

I wish my Ketsui was on a cab rather than a TV. :(

*and no you cant have it. ;)

BIG

sony fanboy
I'd have to go with the Egret 2 on this one. Egret 3's are cool,but low-res. games look like shit in it,same with Blast City and other Hi-res. cabs.

BIG-

ord1000 said:

Errr....I don't think this cab is really a Neo 29". I've own about 3-4 different Neo29's,and none of them look like the one pictured.

A knock-off,perhaps?

BIG-

Last edited:

droid

Me Luv U Long Time,
Great Poll, I love the impress but.....damn that egret2....why did you guys have to link to it? It looks like the perfect cab to own with its monitor rotate-ability..

Hey where's the love for the mini-cutes?

Droid

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Bigp0ppaLarge said:
I'd have to go with the Egret 2 on this one. Egret 3's are cool,but low-res. games look like shit in it,same with Blast City and other Hi-res. cabs.

BIG-

Errr....I don't think this cab is really a Neo 29". I've own about 3-4 different Neo29's,and none of them look like the one pictured.

A knock-off,perhaps?

BIG-

Haha, I didn't even notice. I remember a thread about these earlier. They're European generic Super Neo 29 knock-offs. Nice lookin cab, for what it's worth.

ord1000

Crazed MVS Addict
ResOGlas said:
Haha, I didn't even notice. I remember a thread about these earlier. They're European generic Super Neo 29 knock-offs. Nice lookin cab, for what it's worth.
The cab came from here Killercabs

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
cab.....

ResOGlas said:

I would say chinese generic not European...........

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
thegreathopper said:
I would say chinese generic not European...........

Nah, They're Chinese generic cabs marketed to European arcade enthusiests whom like Japanese arcades. lol, Did you catch all that?
:kekeke:

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Sega Naomi universal, but the Naomi DX is better, made for Europe only, but I'm sure there must be some in Japan?

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
Capcom.

I voted for the Impress, great sound with the Q sound stereo amp and speakers..
I have had mine for a couple of weeks and love it..

Valgar

NEST Puppet
I thought the Egret 3 and Blast City had multi-sync monitors, so low-res games will look fine.

ord1000

Crazed MVS Addict
I just got my second cab today. A horizontal Sega Aero City. It's in lovely condition and i can't wait to play some Progear goodness on it.

Lashujin

Ghost of Captain Kidd
The original egret is better looking than the egret 2, so I'll go with it