My first cab!

Dji

n00b
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the Neo scene; in fact, I just recently received my first arcade cabinet, from an eBay auction that I won. I had only seen an MVS once I think, and had never seen an AES or Neo CD. I had been playing with the roms ( :oh_no: ) for a while, and the feeling of disgust and shame was overwhelming considering the games were the best I had played...perhaps ever. Now this is coming from someone who's owned a dozen home systems, hundreds of games, etc. You see, I never burned a single game disc, not even once. Not for PS1, nor PS2, nor DC, nor Xbox...yet I own a load of games for those. Even for GBA, even though I did download a lot of roms, I ended up deleting most of them and buying around 30 legit games.

So I was looking for a solution to this Neo Geo problem. Now, I did not want a Neo CD(Z) because I simply cannot stand load times, and I just hate seeing scratches on the discs. I would rather have paid more to avoid load times. The choice was between a supergun (which I enquired about on these forums last year) and an AES. But it did not pan out, and I left this crazy idea of getting into the Neo scene on the shelf for a while. I browsed through eBay auctions just for kicks, looked at websites that would sell Neo stuff, but I didn't get to buy anything...until an auction that was just what I was looking for. Since I was a kid, I had that crazy dream of actually owning an arcade cabinet, even though I never really thought I could afford it. Last year, I almost bought an Ultracade, but it cost so damn much it wasn't possible for me to do so. Now I'm glad I couldn't, since I discovered so many better games on the Neo (even though I only experienced the roms and ports). As a matter of fact, let me tell you how I discovered the joy of SNK.

My video game fanaticism began when I was around 4 years old and messed around on my father's PC, playing such games as Alley Cat, Ninja, Moon Patrol, Archon, Paratrooper, and even learning chess by myself. I soon discovered the NES, and then moved on to the greatness that was the 16-bit era, still unrivaled in my opinion. SNES, Genesis and even TG16 were all the rage. I spent time in arcades, playing mostly my favorite genre ever, beat 'em ups. I had bought a 2600 to see what I had missed, since it was a little before my time. I also had fun with the Game Boy and Game Gear. It was great to have video game news once a month, with tiny screenshots and obviously no videos...even back in 1994, reviewers were dumb graphic whores who barely cared about the gameplay. I read about the Neo Geo, but since I had never actually seen one, I thought it actually must have been the worst of the bunch ( :oh_no: ). But gimme a break still, in 1994 I was ten years old. Then, I was majorly burned by the dreaded 3DO, which I spent all my savings on (all 500 dollars). Thus began my very own rude awakening and gloom period, which included the Saturn and N64 (for some reason I was a Nintendo fanboy). I didn't have much fun back then, and the PC games I loved most, adventure games such as the Legend of Kyrandia trilogy, were fading away at the expense of realistic first-person shooters (I hate realism in any game). I almost hated video games by then. Then a savior came: the Dreamcast. I rediscovered the joy of 2D games (I hate 3D games too, by the way), especially Capcom fighters I had missed, such as SFIII, MvC, and...Capcom VS. SNK? What was SNK? I was truely clueless, I must admit. I did find their characters pretty cool, especially Kim, Rock and Geese. Then I did some research and discovered KOF, SS, AOF and FF. I was blown away. Then I played Metal Slug, Last Blade, SVC, and so many others. I was reborn as a video game enthusiast. Even though by then I owned a PS2, Xbox, GCN, GBA and even DS (as you can see this reawakening is still in progress), I had so much more fun playing Neo games. I bought ports (playing online is pretty cool), I researched some more...and here I am, with my cab. The one cab I knew I had to have: the Big Red, more specifically the four-slot wonder known as the MVS-4-25 (ver. 2) as seen on hardmvs.com. It came with four games (and their respective mini marquees), which I will briefly review. I didn't buy this for these games, though...I wanted the cab.

Top Player's Golf: Uh...yeah. I'm no sports gamer, especially not a golf one, but this is still playable and relaxing.

Aero Fighters 3: I like shooters, but again I'm not a huge fan. This one is somewhat above average, although it gets very repetitive after a while.

Magical Drop II: Fun puzzle game, even though once again I'm no huge fan of this genre. This one's way hard.

Puzzle de Pon: The best game of the bunch in my opinion, and perhaps the single best puzzler I've played since Tetris. Worth buying all the way.

The cab works very well, and it's in pretty good shape considering it's been in use for many years, God knows where. Actually the coin counter indicates more than 160 000 coins have been dropped...that's a damn lot. Inside the cab, a date has been written: 9-16-91. This one's seen plenty of action, it seems. I wonder how many memories of gaming greatness are embedded in the cab's wooden soul... Nevertheless, it still works, and the monitor quality is near-perfect. It's actually stunningly beautiful. I haven't messed around with the dip switches yet. Now here's the important part: the controls. Well, I don't know yet about both C and D buttons for players 1 and 2...I'll need a fighter to figure that out. Both A buttons work well, and player 1's B button works well too. Player 2's B button doesn't work so well, however. Actually it works every other time you use it. It's pretty annoying, and I wouldn't want to change any of the buttons if possible. Do you guys know how I could tweak it? I have an X-Arcade, and I've tweaked the joysticks to near-perfection, but I didn't mess around with the buttons too much. Anyway...about my cab's joysticks. Player 2's is in superb condition, I bet it wasn't used much. Player 1's, however, feels very, very loose. All the directions work, mind you, but it's far from the tightness of the second joystick. I looked if I could tweak it as I did with my X-Arcade, but the contacts are quite rusty and abnormally curved. Is it even possible to tweak them anymore or to change them altogether? Thanks for any help you can provide.

To end this long-winded rant, here's a pic of my cab in my room. If you want more pics (of the monitor during gameplay, of the inside of the control panel, etc.), I can take some. Just give me some directions.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/Djister/Cab.jpg

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I'm not going to lie to you, I didn't even read more than 3 words in your post. Anyhoo, you have an absolutely beautiful dedicated 4-slot. Congrats.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
OMFG You outbidded me for that Cab! :mad:

Seriously, I was trying to beat you for that auction.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Very tidy cab you got there. But you've unfortunately wasted 30mins of playing time creating ramble.

When you start going off on the old "My video game fanaticism began..", no one really cares. Perhaps lay off a bit of the meth.. :p

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Great looking cab, any chance you'd let go of that Aero Fighters 3 mini marquee? ;)

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
Greetings Dji, & a top MVS unit you have got there matey!...remove the TPG & get a dodgeball cart in there..!

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Aero Fighters 3 repetitive?
You most likely don't know how to play the game properly, the same for
MDII.

Also, yes, you can change: joystick, buttons, microswitches, everything and make
player one perfect.

Dji said:
Top Player's Golf: Uh...yeah. I'm no sports gamer, especially not a golf one, but this is still playable and relaxing.

Aero Fighters 3: I like shooters, but again I'm not a huge fan. This one is somewhat above average, although it gets very repetitive after a while.

Magical Drop II: Fun puzzle game, even though once again I'm no huge fan of this genre. This one's way hard.

Puzzle de Pon: The best game of the bunch in my opinion, and perhaps the single best puzzler I've played since Tetris. Worth buying all the way.

The cab works very well, and it's in pretty good shape considering it's been in use for many years, God knows where. Actually the coin counter indicates more than 160 000 coins have been dropped...that's a damn lot. Inside the cab, a date has been written: 9-16-91. This one's seen plenty of action, it seems. I wonder how many memories of gaming greatness are embedded in the cab's wooden soul... Nevertheless, it still works, and the monitor quality is near-perfect. It's actually stunningly beautiful. I haven't messed around with the dip switches yet. Now here's the important part: the controls. Well, I don't know yet about both C and D buttons for players 1 and 2...I'll need a fighter to figure that out. Both A buttons work well, and player 1's B button works well too. Player 2's B button doesn't work so well, however. Actually it works every other time you use it. It's pretty annoying, and I wouldn't want to change any of the buttons if possible. Do you guys know how I could tweak it? I have an X-Arcade, and I've tweaked the joysticks to near-perfection, but I didn't mess around with the buttons too much. Anyway...about my cab's joysticks. Player 2's is in superb condition, I bet it wasn't used much. Player 1's, however, feels very, very loose. All the directions work, mind you, but it's far from the tightness of the second joystick. I looked if I could tweak it as I did with my X-Arcade, but the contacts are quite rusty and abnormally curved. Is it even possible to tweak them anymore or to change them altogether? Thanks for any help you can provide.

To end this long-winded rant, here's a pic of my cab in my room. If you want more pics (of the monitor during gameplay, of the inside of the control panel, etc.), I can take some. Just give me some directions.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/Djister/Cab.jpg

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Nice Cab Congrats!!

If you'd like to check-test each button..go into the Hardware test by pressing the "Test Mode" switch inside the Control panel.

Dip Switch # 7 "on the Mother Board" is for Freeplay..Switch Must be pushed down while the cab is off.(blue small switch box on the motherboard)

Most info for you cab is located here..

http://www.hardmvs.com/

You can get your switches and if you need buttons here..

http://www.happcontrols.com/joysticks/joysticks_amusement.htm

Dji

n00b
Thanks for the nice words and helpfulness everyone. :)

Pando said:
When you start going off on the old "My video game fanaticism began..", no one really cares. Perhaps lay off a bit of the meth.. :p

Probably true, but as I do enjoy reading that kind of stuff when other people write it, I figured maybe someone, somewhere has ten minutes to waste reading it. Oh well.

DARK ANDY said:
OMFG You outbidded me for that Cab! :mad:

Seriously, I was trying to beat you for that auction.

Sorry pal... hey, wait a minute... I paid more because of you!

Mark of the Wolves said:
How much did it run you?

I paid a little more than a thousand dollars...Canadian. But a third of the cost was for shipping, gah! The cab itself cost me 670 dollars... which would be about 550 in U.S. currency. Not bad considering the worth of the games, especially Aero Fighters 3.

xtoo_short20x said:
Aero Fighters 3 repetitive?
You most likely don't know how to play the game properly, the same for
MDII.

Yeah, I'm pretty bad at those games, I admit. Yet when I played some AF3 with a friend of mine, we noticed almost half the levels were rehashes of previous ones, which was aggravating. I like (very) short games, and this one dragged on too much for my tastes. The slowdown was pretty noticeable in 2P mode, too. Like I said, I liked it, but the Strikers games are leaps and bounds ahead, in my opinion.

lithy said:
Great looking cab, any chance you'd let go of that Aero Fighters 3 mini marquee? ;)

Umm... I don't know. Is there such a thing as a mini marquee price guide? Maybe some of you experts could judge the value of those four I have.

NEO GOLD said:
Greetings Dji, & a top MVS unit you have got there matey!...remove the TPG & get a dodgeball cart in there..!

Excellent idea right there... might do so! :buttrock:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
NEO GOLD said:

Damn, I'm having alot of problems with SDB, it's a piece of piss up until the third team but after that, I can't find any way around them.

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
chris1 said:
Nice Cab Congrats!!

If you'd like to check-test each button..go into the Hardware test by pressing the "Test Mode" switch inside the Control panel.

Dip Switch # 7 "on the Mother Board" is for Freeplay..Switch Must be pushed down while the cab is off.

You can adjust dip switches regardless of if the cab is powered or not.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Reading this gave me blurry vision :eye:

Btw welcome to insane hobby that is neo-geo gaming.
Just watch out for bumpy roads and.... stay clear of :p bootleg carts :p and you should be ok ;)

Dji

n00b
Maybe someone can help me with this too... on the I/O CHECK screen, the P1 B button is stuck in the "1" position, instead of the usual "0" like every other button. This causes gameplay annoyances/unplayability. I find it very strange, because it is still quite responsive (unlike the P2 B button, which I have not changed/fixed yet). What's the matter? Thanks.

Edit: Forgot to mention, on the same screen, when I press the P1 B button, it does change to "0" like the other buttons change to "1".

Last edited:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Dji said:
Maybe someone can help me with this too... on the I/O CHECK screen, the P1 B button is stuck in the "1" position, instead of the usual "0" like every other button. This causes gameplay annoyances/unplayability. I find it very strange, because it is still quite responsive (unlike the P2 B button, which I have not changed/fixed yet). What's the matter? Thanks.

Edit: Forgot to mention, on the same screen, when I press the P1 B button, it does change to "0" like the other buttons change to "1".

I'd say you need a new button switch..or to clean it/it may be just getting stuck...

Dji

n00b
chris1 said:
I'd say you need a new button switch..or to clean it/it may be just getting stuck...

I don't know if that's what you're talking about, but look at this photo (sorry, it's blurry)...

http://photobucket.com/albums/y146/Djister/?action=view&current=microswitch.jpg

It seems there's nothing wrong with the button itself, after all. This is the source of the problem. Whenever I insert that pink thing into the microswitch, it instantly changes from "0" to "1" on the monitor, as previously mentioned. In fact, as soon as they touch, even barely, it does the same thing. Now, I've tried doing this with the other switches, and there's no such strange reaction. Thanks for helping me out.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I think that one is on the wrong pin The one on top should be next to the one on the side (if that makes sense

YOu have one on the side which your finger is on and two on top try moving the other pink one to the other pin

Adamaki

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Dji said:
Probably true, but as I do enjoy reading that kind of stuff when other people write it, I figured maybe someone, somewhere has ten minutes to waste reading it. Oh well.

I'm the guy you wrote that for! I read all of it (albeit very briefly). But that's only because I'm stuck in the office bored out of my mind and I have nothing better to do!

I wish I was outside. The sun is shining...

P.S. Nice cab, I'm jealous!

Last edited:

Sundance

Sho's Rival
Nice Cab and welcome to community. Nice to see another cab almost as old as my own in such good shape. I won an auction about a year or so ago from tornadoterrysdot on ebay for a full set of buttons and happ joysticks. It was actually a Neo Geo setup w/ 11 buttons and 2 joysticks. This worked out great and allowed me a chance to take a toothbrush to the inside of the panel and overlay and clean the crap outta it. Also, i wouldn't take the "i just wasted 10 minutes reading your crap" thing too seriously, its just part of teh drama. Some people on the boards just wanna 1 sentence post and others appreciate hearing about peoples gaming experiences. Good luck w/ your cab.

stuffmonger

Baseball Star Hitter
lithy's right... one of the wires connecting the microswitch is on the wrong pin... the pin that's sticking out of the "top" is the ground pin (which is most likely wired correctly) the next pin down is the pin where you want to put the other wire... I think that microswitches are dpdt switches with a spring inside... when the wire is on the "lower" pin, it means that it is being pushed as long as you don't press the button... if that makes any sence at all... so yup... just move the wire and it should work... also... if you ever need new controls or parts, I've found that bob roberts is the king... happcontrols are overpriced unless you buy in huge bulk. So... bob roberts is the way to go - http://homearcade.org/BBBB/ Nice cab by the way... she's a beauty :drool_2: .