PS1: Strikers 1945 ($13) Yay or Nay?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
IS it worth it or should I just emulate the PCB in Tate Mode on my monitor?

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
First one, or second one? Assume the former, but if the latter, Superlite or original release?

I need to find myself a Strikers II for PS1. Been meaning to replace my Saturn copy. Anyone want to buy it off me? ;)

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
according to shumps.com...

I was not released in the US... (II JP= I US)

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
subcons said:
First one, or second one? Assume the former, but if the latter, Superlite or original release?

I need to find myself a Strikers II for PS1. Been meaning to replace my Saturn copy. Anyone want to buy it off me? ;)

Strikers II IS Strikers 1945 on PS1. That threw me off when I was looking for a copy of II. Strikers 1945 on PS1 is the same game as Strikers 1945 II on Saturn.

@norton: That's a really good price for that game. I paid $19 plus shipping for my mint PS1 version. No slowdown or anything, supposedly isn't inderior to the Saturn version (surprisingly).

I'd say go for it, especially if you can flip your t.v. 90 degrees to run tate mode. Otherwise you can set it to "original" dimensions, so that it plays the same, but the screen is taller than is displayed at any given time. Takes some getting used to, but works fine from there on out.

subcons

jro said:
Strikers II IS Strikers 1945 on PS1. That threw me off when I was looking for a copy of II. Strikers 1945 on PS1 is the same game as Strikers 1945 II on Saturn.

@norton: That's a really good price for that game. I paid $19 plus shipping for my mint PS1 version. No slowdown or anything, supposedly isn't inderior to the Saturn version (surprisingly).

I'd say go for it, especially if you can flip your t.v. 90 degrees to run tate mode. Otherwise you can set it to "original" dimensions, so that it plays the same, but the screen is taller than is displayed at any given time. Takes some getting used to, but works fine from there on out.

Oh yeah. I'd forgotten about this. Although, if I'm not mistaken, there is no TATE support for the US release, is there? I'm looking for an import copy which does have TATE. I simply won't buy a vert shooter port if it doesn't support the correct viewing mode.

And yeah, the Saturn version was botched. Strikers 1945 is great on it, but someone screwed up II. PS1 version (Japanese release) is superior as a port.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
subcons said:
Oh yeah. I'd forgotten about this. Although, if I'm not mistaken, there is no TATE support for the US release, is there? I'm looking for an import copy which does have TATE. I simply won't buy a vert shooter port if it doesn't support the correct viewing mode.

And yeah, the Saturn version was botched. Strikers 1945 is great on it, but someone screwed up II. PS1 version (Japanese release) is superior as a port.

Ohhhhh yeaaaaahhh! Now I remember that. The Japanese PS1 version has tate support and the U.S. one doesn't. I've never tried to set mine to tate (which wouldn't be possible, obviously), but I thought I remembered something about the Japanese one being different.

So maybe the emu is the best after all. Though I still have a damn good time playing the PS1 version, even with goofy moving playfield.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Maybe I'll pick it up...

MY psII is not hooked up to an easily rotatable display.

But my PC is.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Fuck yeah it's worth it.

If the one you're talking about is the agetec US release, then yeah, it's Strikers 1945 II. Not as good as the first Strikers, but I still like it lots.

Segata_Sanshiro

Tesse's Maintainence Man
15 Year Member
The lack of tate actually changes the gameplay, unforgivable in my opinion. Get one with tate ;) an import copy.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Segata_Sanshiro said:
The lack of tate actually changes the gameplay, unforgivable in my opinion. Get one with tate ;) an import copy.

Agreed 100%. Tate mode offers the game in its original full vertical-format. Its ridiculous that they removed this mode from the U.S. release, but chalk it up to just one more in a long line of blunders from Agetec, terrible company.

Import version does offer Tate mode and should be around pretty cheap still . . .

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
If you put Saturn & PS versions side-by-side then you'll notice:

- PS has no CG intro found in Saturn version
- Saturn has rich background than PS.

subcons

Liquid Snake said:
If you put Saturn & PS versions side-by-side then you'll notice:

- PS has no CG intro found in Saturn version
- Saturn has rich background than PS.

Look for slowdown. This is what makes the PS version more faithful to the PCB.

Oh, and that CG intro is shit.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I bought the ps2 Psikyo shooter collection volume 1: Strikers 1945 1 and 2. The tate modes are great. The first game is so much better than the second one. It's a lot of fun, by far my favorite Psikyo game. The graphics are beautiful.

Segata_Sanshiro

Tesse's Maintainence Man
15 Year Member
subcons is right. The Saturn version is crappy, with slowdown. PSX all the way for this game.

Saturn version of the first game is supposed to be better though.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Thanks for the info...

I don't have the ability to hack a PS/PSII. The PSII is my girlfriends so I'm not alowed to fuck with it. So importin is out.

I'll have a Rom box up and running entertainment work station (with VGA display). So I'll just have to emulate.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
norton9478 said:
Thanks for the info...

I don't have the ability to hack a PS/PSII. The PSII is my girlfriends so I'm not alowed to fuck with it. So importin is out.

I'll have a Rom box up and running entertainment work station (with VGA display). So I'll just have to emulate.
If you have a PS1 you could all ways use a, boot disc simple enough ;)