Gigawing Generations

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
I just had the chance to play the PS2 port for a while today.

First of all, I didn't like Gigawing 1 because of the ridiculous amount of coins the enemies dropped when killed that would cause chaos in the screen. Graphically I found it very beatiful. I liked Gigawing 2 better.

Well, to me Generations is like 1 changing the 2D hand-made grahics for lifeless polygons. Again we have the thousands of coins, I have a hard time discriminating coins from bullets.

The system of the reflection shield looks interesting, but it's not enough for me to like the games.

Any other opinions?

Last edited:

A2ath0th

n00b
first of all I'm a big fan of both gigawing on dreamcast even if I prefer the second who is perfect (even if there are a lot slowdown it's not bad for the gameplay) but I really think that this gigawing generation is just an alternative sequel to the first one, because even if it's in 3d it's more like an (little) evolution of the first than the second

but where are those perfect music like in gigawing 2 ??? where is the great feeling as in gigawing 2 ??? :blow_top: in gigawing 2 we have 10 planes, with different gameplay, we have 2 different shield mode, perhaps there are some to unlock in the generation but I'm not sure

in fact the generation is just a version 1.5 and NOT a third game in the serie, I really hope that takumi will make one day a real gigawing 3 with a great evolution of the second

well I think I'm going to play the 2 gigawing on dreamcast once again while waiting for a 3 :drool_2:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The Boss Battles are just so INtense

Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb, Reflect, Bomb, REflect, Bomb,

I'd Play Mars Matrix alot more If I didn't suck at it.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
No TATE equals doodoo.

What the fuck were they thinking?

Oh, and I hear the framerate is shit as well.

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
subcons said:
No TATE equals doodoo.

What the fuck were they thinking?

Oh, and I hear the framerate is shit as well.

30fps.

And tate is not important for a part of the players, which I belong.

subcons

Tristesse said:
30fps.

And tate is not important for a part of the players, which I belong.

I haven't played it, but people are claiming that the refresh rates on bullets and such is screwy and that the game in general feels choppy. Like I said, I haven't played it, just what I've read.

People speculate that maybe that's why there's no full screen TATE mode though. If they couldn't get the game to run correctly in a windowed mode, stands to reason they couldn't get it up to par in TATE.

I love the GigaWing series, but a vertial shooter ported to a system without TATE included is just unforgivable. Not buying. Glad to hear the people that this doesn't bother are enjoying it though.

EDIT: BTW, the framerate issue is different between Original and Arcade. Not sure which one is what...?

Last edited:

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
NO TATE MODE! Youre kidding me. The port is complete shit then. Thank you for the info, I almost bought this! Back to Strikers 1945 (The first one)

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
Complete shit is a bit harsh. As has been mentioned, most people who buy it likely will never have use for a TATE mode.

I COULD use it but it really doesn't make my blood boil that it isn't there. Framerate isn't as bad as some make it out to be.

I like this game a lot. Overall it is a much better release than that piece of shit Psikyo Shooting Collection Vol. 3. ALL vertical shooters from Psikyo are exactly the fucking same. DB is just a bit harder, and then they've made it so that it looks like you're playing the fucking thing in composite for some reason. This is the worst looking conversion of a Psikyo game EVER.

What sucks about both releases is that they're both on CD's. Shame on you, Taito!

Robert

20 Year Member
Giga wing went down hill since the first episode. i have both 1 and 2 on DC and except the "oh my god" factor due to graphics and musics ( I admit that Giga wing 2 has awesome musics) GW2 let me a bad taste in my mouth after some times. it reminds me the twin bee games on pc engine, where you spend more time fighting bosses than going thought the level. Plus I don't like the new features of the second episode: I don't like the new planes nor the new reflection shield.Now I'm playing both (GW1 more often) but my vote goes for GW1.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
No TATE blows, but I'm glad we actually got the game.
I like Gigawing 2 a lot better, for obvious reasons.

Kristian Meller said:
Complete shit is a bit harsh. As has been mentioned, most people who buy it likely will never have use for a TATE mode.

I COULD use it but it really doesn't make my blood boil that it isn't there. Framerate isn't as bad as some make it out to be.

I like this game a lot. Overall it is a much better release than that piece of shit Psikyo Shooting Collection Vol. 3. ALL vertical shooters from Psikyo are exactly the fucking same. DB is just a bit harder, and then they've made it so that it looks like you're playing the fucking thing in composite for some reason. This is the worst looking conversion of a Psikyo game EVER.

What sucks about both releases is that they're both on CD's. Shame on you, Taito!

Stop babbling about other games idiot.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
LOL. I knew you'd take offense because I said something bad about DB :kekeke:

It's very relevant since they were released within the same week by the same company. I'll decide for myself what games I'll babble about.

Last edited:

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Kristian Meller said:
LOL. I knew you'd take offense because I said something bad about DB :kekeke:

It's very relevant since they were released within the same week by the same company. I'll decide for myself what games I'll babble about.

We're talking about Gigawing Generations, not Dragon Blaze or any other
psikyo shmups, thanks. You have been proven to be a fucking idiot in the
all about shmups thread anyway.

Saturn2dfreak

Mickey's Coach
xtoo_short20x said:

agreed :lol:

subcons

moonwhistle said:
Well neither of the Dreamcast versions had a vertical mode either..... :spock:

Those games were designed with a horizontal oriented screen in mind even though they scrolled vertically.

Generations is a true vert shooter. It's meant to be played on a 3x4 display like Ikaruga. So all we get with the port is a windowed yoko mode. Unforgivable for a vert shooter port these days, especially coming out of Japan.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
There's an "original" screen mode as well as an arcade mode. It expands the screen so there's no horizontal scrolling. So it's almost like playing the other two games ;)

xtoo_short20x said:

It's amazing how easily you get worked up over things. You're not the one who gets to decide what is to be discussed in the threads. And YOU weren't taking part in the discussion. You just showed your ugly head because I made a post criticizing something you like. Why didn't you show up to call me names when I recommended Mars Matrix a couple of weeks ago?

subcons

Kristian Meller said:
There's an "original" screen mode as well as an arcade mode. It expands the screen so there's no horizontal scrolling. So it's almost like playing the other two games ;)

It simply isn't the same. Once you go TATE there's no other way of playing these types of games.

It doesn't bother some people. I don't fall into that group.

BIG

sony fanboy
Kristian Meller said:

Are you out of your fucking mind? GWG is shit and you know it.

Psikyo Vol.3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>GWG

BIG-

Last edited:

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
Dude, calm down. I really hope you're kidding.

There are people who prefer Layer Section to Donpachi but that doesn't mean they're retarded.

BIG

sony fanboy
Kristian Meller said:
Dude, calm down. I really hope you're kidding.

There are people who prefer Layer Section to Donpachi but that doesn't mean they're retarded.

I really wish I were kidding,but unfortunately,I am not....

No Tate,horrible frame-rate,poorly drawn 3-D graphics,uninspired music,weak sound..need I say more?

BIG-

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
Even though you feel that you're right regarding the above listed issues, I still don't feel it's shit and I definitely don't "know it".

BIG

sony fanboy
Kristian Meller said:
Even though you feel that you're right regarding the above listed issues, I still don't feel it's shit and I definitely don't "know it".

Fine,go ahead and justify your purchase all you want...the game sucks.

Thank god I got rid of mine.

BIG-

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
It's justified by the fact that it's the new shooter I've enjoyed the most since ESPGaluda. I think it's good and that's really all that matters.

Neo Skier

Banned
Holy crap this game is bad......!!!!

Tried to play 2 player...can't even tell what's going on

DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!