Progear and MAME.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Soo... I finally got around to trying out Progear to no avail. What version of MAME or other emulator does this game work under? I'm on a Mac by the way, so it may be impossible for me to even run it with the latest emulator available for OSX (0.87 I think?).

Anyone know?

EDIT: BTW, the title isn't even showing up in my game list under MAME. I put the file in there with the rest, but it doesn't show. So I'm not even getting a chance to run it.

Last edited:

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
subcons said:
Soo... I finally got around to trying out Progear to no avail. What version of MAME or other emulator does this game work under? I'm on a Mac by the way, so it may be impossible for me to even run it with the latest emulator available for OSX (0.87 I think?).

Anyone know?

EDIT: BTW, the title isn't even showing up in my game list under MAME. I put the file in there with the rest, but it doesn't show. So I'm not even getting a chance to run it.

I've been asking this question forever: Mac emulation is fine and all, but I've never been able to figure out how everybody gets all these new releases working.

Any romz guru out there who can help us Mac people get our Pro Gear on will have my eternal gratitude. (Raiden Fighters too, while you're at it...)

Segata_Sanshiro

Tesse's Maintainence Man
15 Year Member
I can't really help, but if .87 is the latest version released then you couldn't use MAME. It was added to mame in version 90...

There are other cps2 (progear's hardware) emulators out there though. I believe Kawaks is one...have a look at www.zophar.net, they have pretty much every emu for every platform available for download. Popups though :mad_2: even in firefox.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Kawaks does not have a Mac port.

For my fellow Mac users:

Try using AdvanceMAME available here.
Make sure to download "NekoLauncher Advance" as well.
I think this version of MacMAME is more up-to-date than the official MacMAME release.
Progear might work, but I personally have not tried it, since I do not have the Progear ROM.

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
The game has been officially added to the latest mame (no hacks needed), so most people who want to play it on mame just download the emulator's latest version.

I personally use kawaks. I downloaded the rom and the latest WinKawaks and had it up and running in secs, both are easy to find.

Last edited:

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
Can anyone explain to me how to get AdvanceMAME working? Maybe I'm a complete idiot, but even after reading the documentation on the official site, I have no idea how one would run the program.

@Hentai Sama - if you'd like Pro Gear, I can hook you up.

subcons

I came across AdvanceMAME in my short search for the latest emulator. Appears that it needs to be compiled from the source. I didn't even try as I'm just not savvy enough for such things (I tried something similar in trying to get Soulseek running before actually finding something else).

If anyone can just send me the program already compiled, that'd be wonderful, and I'm sure gmw would appreciate as well.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
@subcons & gmw: Make sure to download NekoLauncher Advance from the site I posted. Its the GUI for AdvanceMAME.

Robert

20 Year Member
My question is: Does version of MacMame are the equivalent of Mame?

I have MacMame 0.84 and does it correspond to the 0.84 version of Mame or do they are different numeration?

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Robert said:
My question is: Does version of MacMame are the equivalent of Mame?

I have MacMame 0.84 and does it correspond to the 0.84 version of Mame or do they are different numeration?

Yeah, they are supposed to be equivalent, the Mac one is always several versions delayed respect the official one.

subcons

Hentai Sama said:
@subcons & gmw: Make sure to download NekoLauncher Advance from the site I posted. Its the GUI for AdvanceMAME.

Thanks. Downloading now. See if I can figure it out.

subcons

Err... yeah. I'm more confused now. NekoLauncher just says that a directory doesn't exist when I open it. But even still, don't I actually have to compile AdvanceMAME before I can even use it? This is where I hit a wall. I've used DOS before, but this Linux command line stuff just confuses the hell out of me.

I'd really like to check this AdvanceMAME out. It has some really great features.

Why does everything for Mac have to be compiled?! :( :crying:

Oh, and another thing. Does AdvanceMAME even support controllers? I kind of sifted through some of the docs and saw no mention of it.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
I believe the NekoLauncher application needs to go into the AdvanceMAME folder. It won't do anything by itself. If you've already tried that, then there isn't much else I can do, for now.

About controller support: Any controller support would have to be provided by the NekoLauncher application. If it doesn't have it, then you can use a program like this one to make controllers usable.

Last edited:

subcons

Hentai Sama said:
I believe the NekoLauncher application needs to go into the AdvanceMAME folder. It won't do anything by itself. If you've already tried that, then there isn't much else I can do, for now.

Thank you thus far.

No luck still. I even did some more searching and tried using other front ends like AdvanceMENU (I found one already compiled) as well as osXmame to no avail. I seem to run into a wall in some form or another with all of these. And it's amazing the lack of information they give out for these programs on the net. Wow. I guess everyone just automatically knows Unix. Blah.

I give up for now.

EDIT: Oh yeah. NekoLauncher seems like the easy way to go, but of course, it's made by someone from Japan, so all the info on it is in Japanese. I tried putting it in different folders and vice versa, but still nothing.

Last edited: