Question about the DonPachi port for PSX.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Since I don't have a cab set up for vertical shooters yet, I've gone mad here in Japan and I've picked up DonPachi and DoDonPachi for PSX, and DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou and Espgaluda for PS2. My question is, are there any differences between the original release of DonPachi for PS and the re-release? The original has a black background on the cover (like the arcade flyer), and the re-release has a brushed-gunmetal background on the cover. The reason I ask is because the original version clearly states that it has a TATE option on the back of the case, while the re-release does not. I hunted around and picked up a used original copy for about $5 more than a re-release costs brand new, was this a bad decision? Also, are there any other Cave ports that I'm missing? Thanks in advance.

Long Live Cave!.......ports.

BIG

sony fanboy
Both releases feature tate.

BIG-

Last edited:

BIG

sony fanboy
super-saiya-jin said:
Whatever you do, do NOT buy the saturn port
The ps1 port is actually BETTER

Actually,the Saturn version of Donpachi is slightly better,yoko-wise.

The PSX version's yoko-mode suffers greatly from the "wobblies"..

BIG-

super-saiya-jin

I wish I really were French
Bigp0ppaLarge said:

BIG-
i was talking about dodonpachi, my bad

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
super-saiya-jin said:
i was talking about dodonpachi, my bad

What's the specific difference? I've only played the Saturn port. If it warrants it though, I'd dump that and snag up an import PS copy.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Bigp0ppaLarge said:

BIG-

Who plays on Yoko mode anyway? :make_fac:

Also, why is DoDonPachi for PSX so rare and the Saturn one so common? I looked in probably 80 game stores (yes, 80 ) here in Japan and I could only find one copy of the game and it was in *decent* condition missing the spine card for $48...

Considering that I've picked up 2 (yep, count em', 2) boxed complete AES consoles for $20 each at the local recycle TV shop, spending $48 on a PSX game sounds crazy. :p

BIG

sony fanboy
ResOGlas said:

Also, why is DoDonPachi for PSX so rare and the Saturn one so common? I looked in probably 80 game stores (yes, 80 ) here in Japan and I could only find one copy of the game and it was in *decent* condition missing the spine card for $48...

Considering that I've picked up 2 (yep, count em', 2) boxed complete AES consoles for $20 each at the local recycle TV shop, spending $48 on a PSX game sounds crazy. :p

Well sorry,your l33tness..:emb:

BIG-

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
ResOGlas said:

Everyone who is seriously into shmups, and wants to play the games the
way they're supposed to be played?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I also own the DP and DDP Cave ports on PSX and I'm very happy with them. I've played the pcbs several times and except for three or four minor slowdowns during boss battles and some pixelated explosions, the PSX ports seem to be spot-on. The sound f/x (not the music) of the real thing sound more clear, tho, it's the old prob with PSX arcade ports having muffled sound (just like Slug 1, Slug X, the KoFs, etc.).

IIRC, the Saturn versions are plagued by considerably more slowdowns, and there's an issue with missing stuff (sound effects and a handful of sprites) but I'm not sure about that, I've only read about it in a mag when the ports came out.

@Big and too_short, isn't Yoko normal/horizontal orientation and tate vertical ( = the real thing)?

The wobblies are worse in Tate than in Yoko, although they seem to appear randomly, sometimes there's zero wobbling throughout a whole session, and sometimes it shakes and twists like a tabledancer... I always thought my old multisync monitor I use for Tate games would be the reason for it until I tate'd my digital Thomson TV set and also got teh wobblies...

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
xtoo_short20x said:
Everyone who is seriously into shmups, and wants to play the games the
way they're supposed to be played?

Got em' mixed up sucka ;)

Yoko mode is horizontal with letterboxes. Tate is straight Vert, nukka'.

super-saiya-jin

I wish I really were French
subcons said:
What's the specific difference? I've only played the Saturn port. If it warrants it though, I'd dump that and snag up an import PS copy.
the sound is so much better

play the saturn version, listen to the music/sound
and then listen to the ps1's music and you will see what i mean

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Most games on both systems are better on PSX bar 95 % of Capcom & SNK titles.

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
The Saturn ports of both games suck dick. I sold them a long time ago...I really don't understand why they couldn't make a decent port, let alone arcade perfect.

Segata_Sanshiro

Tesse's Maintainence Man
15 Year Member
The Saturn ddp isn't horrible per se, they just ruined the explosion graphics. I bought that since the gameplay is otherwise intact and the psx version is hard to find. I'm an impatient bastard :D

Most games on both systems are better on PSX bar 95 % of Capcom & SNK titles.

As a general rule I'd say this is correct, yes.

Robert

20 Year Member
Once I found a decent copy of DDP in an anime convention and it was 70 euros so I let it on the shelve.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
ResOGlas said:
Got em' mixed up sucka ;)

Yoko mode is horizontal with letterboxes. Tate is straight Vert, nukka'.

Hey, you have my signature...

nevermind, I wanted to change it anyway.

The Engrish is really koll, isn't it...

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
oceanfrr said:
dont think there are any differences, just 1st print probably worth more ;]

Haha, at least $5 more according to what I was willing to pay. ;)

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Takumaji said:
Hey, you have my signature...

nevermind, I wanted to change it anyway.

The Engrish is really koll, isn't it...

Is Leslie M. Collins still around? I feel bad making fun of some retarded kid from Nevada. Then again, he did make such threats as eating other member's brains.......

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
ResOGlas said:
Is Leslie M. Collins still around? I feel bad making fun of some retarded kid from Nevada. Then again, he did make such threats as eating other member's brains.......

Yeah, I found the quote...

leslie m collins said:
ya fuckig right neo geo freck will stay on here for ever what make you think taht if you dont shut the fuck up i will garb your fuckig hard and chuh therm and eat your brains ok chomp chomp