Composite vs S-video

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Hey i was wonderign what video connection is better for the Neo?
S-video or Composite and what are the disanvantages and the advantages

Athlon64

Galford's Armourer
lachlan said:
Hey i was wonderign what video connection is better for the Neo?
S-video or Composite and what are the disanvantages and the advantages

S-video is better with cleaner and crisper images. There are 2 ways to get them..

1. X-Neo-1 - No need for moddifications on your system but gives you a darker "tinted" look and more expensive. Prepare to shell out 150++ for a used one.

2. System Mod - The better way to do it and have JmKurtz do it for you it's cheaper plus the mod gives you better stereo sound. In terms of video quality there are a number of threads in the forum regarding the quality of the "mod" vs the X-neo. Do a search and you'd find it. Go to http://www.neobitz.com/ for more info.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
lachlan said:
yeah but is composite good or?

In a word: No

S-video will give you a sharper and cleaner picture than composite. Plus the composite out on most AES units is ass to begin with. I have seen some game systems (like some of the PC Engines) that have very good composite out. The Neo ain't one of them.

If you have s-video, or better yet, RGB available to you, I would highly suggest either over composite.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
lachlan said:
what do you mean RGB avaliable to me?

Does your tv have RGB/Scart input?

I am not familiar with tv's in Australia and what all inputs they might have.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
no my TV is a Composite mono TV so instead of yellow (video) white (left sound) red (right sound) its only Yellow and White

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
lachlan said:
yeah but is composite good or?

It's ok I guess, but after shelling out all of that money you may well do it right. With composite you'll see nasty things like color bleeding, rainbow effects, and just a general blurring effect with the pixels. You won't see much of this (if any) with S-video.

S-video still isn't really quite up to par with an arcade monitor (RGB) connection, but it's much closer.

If you haven't had your Neo modded yet, you may as well go all the way with a component mod - Jeff Kurtz supposedly makes a really nice board for that purpose and would probably be happy to install one for you.

Adamaki

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
hey Lachlan, I didn't realise you'd started a new thread about this! I just replied to your question in your old thread! :rolleyes: