MINIGUN help (power issue?)

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
I just received a mini-gun from BIG today and sadly, it will not boot up the MVS board. There is an LED on the mvs board that, when hooked up to my cab, lights up and indicates power on. With the minigun plugged in, I get the green led off of the GUN but the board doesnt seem to be powered.

I also notice when switching the unit on, the green led lights up........dims, then pops on all of which can be head on the TV. You hear the extra pop.

So I would really like some expert help here as this is not for me, its for a buddy of mine that finally decided to get another GUN after 2yrs of his stuff just sitting at his house doing nothing for him. His last deal went sour (paid for supergun and never received anything). So it took a lot for him to welcome the neo once again. I dont want this to dissappoint him.

I can take pics of the setup if that will help.

Chris

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
What board are you hooking it up to?

What PSU is it?

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
NeoCverA said:
I just received a mini-gun from BIG today and sadly, it will not boot up the MVS board. There is an LED on the mvs board that, when hooked up to my cab, lights up and indicates power on. With the minigun plugged in, I get the green led off of the GUN but the board doesnt seem to be powered.

I also notice when switching the unit on, the green led lights up........dims, then pops on all of which can be head on the TV. You hear the extra pop.

So I would really like some expert help here as this is not for me, its for a buddy of mine that finally decided to get another GUN after 2yrs of his stuff just sitting at his house doing nothing for him. His last deal went sour (paid for supergun and never received anything). So it took a lot for him to welcome the neo once again. I dont want this to dissappoint him.

I can take pics of the setup if that will help.

Chris
Yeah, if it's a 6-slot, probably won't power it. Even a 4-slot can be problematic.

Gotta ask, where did he try to get the previous one? A company or an individual?

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
D-Lite said:
Yeah, if it's a 6-slot, probably won't power it. Even a 4-slot can be problematic.

Gotta ask, where did he try to get the previous one? A company or an individual?

It was a company overseas (not 100% sure but i know its overseas). It was several years ago and he blew a lot of money.

the board im testing is a 1 slot.........?
gun-001.jpg

Heres power supply for GUN
gunPS.jpg

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Sounds like a short in the gun......

That PSU should most definitly power that Motherboard....

I would not wire this up to a bigger PSU.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I would be the one that would know the most about this 'Gun, since I was the builder of it a year or two ago.

I would offer to look at it for free and see if I can fix it, but the most I could do would be to check wiring and the power supply with multimeter. I don't currently have any pcbs to hook it up with.

Might want to check with the seller on it, though.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Well I have a multi-meter but I dont know jack shit about electronics but Im willing to learn. Ill wait for BIG to see what we will do though before i open it and mess around.

thanks for the help.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
one other thing while I am thinking about it.

You mentioned a popping sound in the audio when powering it on. If I remember correctly, I didn't use any sort of attenuation circuit for the audio portion. Straight jamma to RCA jacks. I suggest turning the audio on the pcb all the way down to like 1/4th volume or so.

Sounds like the board is getting some power, and if the green led on the front is powering on, we know atleast 12 volt is flowing from the psu to that point in the SG. Cause, if I remember correctly, that was a 12 volt LED assembly I used. That might explain why the board is creating the popping sound through the audio section.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
GiLL said:
one other thing while I am thinking about it.

You mentioned a popping sound in the audio when powering it on. If I remember correctly, I didn't use any sort of attenuation circuit for the audio portion. Straight jamma to RCA jacks. I suggest turning the audio on the pcb all the way down to like 1/4th volume or so.

Sounds like the board is getting some power, and if the green led on the front is powering on, we know atleast 12 volt is flowing from the psu to that point in the SG. Cause, if I remember correctly, that was a 12 volt LED assembly I used. That might explain why the board is creating the popping sound through the audio section.

I turned down the volume all the way and I still get the 2 pops when powering up on the tv. THey coincide with the Green LED. At first power on its thump......green led flashes then dims.....then goes Green (with another little pop).

What pins on the board represent the power? What setting should i have my meter on to test it also? the Leads can definately touch the connector on the board for testing voltage input to the board, etc.

Lets get this gun shootin.

sven666

War Room Troll
i have the same setup and it works fine, so theres definetly not any compatibility issues.

id guess the gun puts out some crazy voltage..

did you test the MVS mobo in a cab or somewhere just to rule it out as a possible problem..

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
sven666 said:
i have the same setup and it works fine, so theres definetly not any compatibility issues.

id guess the gun puts out some crazy voltage..

did you test the MVS mobo in a cab or somewhere just to rule it out as a possible problem..

Yeah i hooked it up to my candycab and it ran fine.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
It reads and looks like a bad socket connection between the board and the gun. I'm viewing the picture and the minigun does'nt appear to be lying completely flat on a hard surface. It definitely should'nt be supported JUST by the PCB's edge connecter like that. It needs to lye flat as well..
-BB

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
NeoCverA said:
I turned down the volume all the way and I still get the 2 pops when powering up on the tv. THey coincide with the Green LED. At first power on its thump......green led flashes then dims.....then goes Green (with another little pop).

What pins on the board represent the power? What setting should i have my meter on to test it also? the Leads can definately touch the connector on the board for testing voltage input to the board, etc.

Lets get this gun shootin.

Well, your multimeter should have a setting for measuring DC voltage.

I would start by measuring the voltage straight from the end of the cable off the power supply. Its the 5 pin din connector. You can use the diagram on the bottom of the PSU to determine which pins is ground and which are +5 and +12. Both those voltages should be pretty close (like 5.1v or 11.9...stuff like that).

Use the black lead from your multimeter and touch it to one of the common/ground pins and use the red lead and touch it to either the +5 or +12. We need to make sure the psu hasn't gone bad. Make sure to check all those ground pins as well to be safe.

edit: Be extra careful to NOT bridge any pins and short anything out. Just be careful.

Last edited:

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Alright, I copied an image from Hardmvs over an actual photo of the connector region. Is this layout correct ?
help-001.jpg

Here is my multimeter.
help-002.jpg

THe top right is the DCV region and I should have it set to 20? or 200?

On the lower right are the leads:

Does COM = common ground? so should it be Black?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
BIG BEAR said:
It reads and looks like a bad socket connection between the board and the gun. I'm viewing the picture and the minigun does'nt appear to be lying completely flat on a hard surface. It definitely should'nt be supported JUST by the PCB's edge connecter like that. It needs to lye flat as well..
-BB

Yeah try that...

Plug it in and sloly bend the SG UP upwards until it's level.>...

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
GiLL said:
Well, your multimeter should have a setting for measuring DC voltage.

I would start by measuring the voltage straight from the end of the cable off the power supply. Its the 5 pin din connector. You can use the diagram on the bottom of the PSU to determine which pins is ground and which are +5 and +12. Both those voltages should be pretty close (like 5.1v or 11.9...stuff like that).
Did this and got a 5.xx and 11.96, respectively

Make sure to check all those ground pins as well to be safe
what do you mean ?

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
So when I test the pins directly from the PS plug i register the correct readings.

Now I plug the cord into the MiniGun to test the output from the connectors?
testminigun.jpg

using the same data from hardmvs, would these be the correct tests to perform upon powering up the minigun and probing those points?

Test 1 ofcourse is ground and +5 slot

Test 2 ground and +12v slot

Am i correct in this? I will not move forward until i get some feedback.
thank you

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Well since everyone left, I figured id open up the minigun. There were 2 ground wires that broke off of the power supply plug or whatever. I had to solder them back on and it seems to be running now. Im not an electronics dude either so im lucky everything is ok (at least it seems to be).

BIG

sony fanboy
Hmmm,that's odd,because I tested the mini-gun myself before shipping it out and everything was working fine without a hitch. I powered it up and played Nam-1975 for about two hours and I didn't notice any popping sound nor did I see the LED flashing at all.

Anyway,I'm glad to see that everything is up and running now,and thank you again for your patience and understanding.

BIG-

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
NeoCverA said:
Well since everyone left, I figured id open up the minigun. There were 2 ground wires that broke off of the power supply plug or whatever. I had to solder them back on and it seems to be running now. Im not an electronics dude either so im lucky everything is ok (at least it seems to be).

Excellent. I thought it was something that simple, but sometimes ya just gotta open 'er up and see.