can one psu power an mvs 4 slot and an h64 ?

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Well, I want to hook a dual setup with one of the dual jamma boards off ebay (with slight modifications of course) and I am wondering if one psu would power a 4 slot and an h64, with the h64's high draw on the +5v?

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
I doubt it unless you can find a sufficient PSU, which will be expensive. It's hard enough powering a H64 on its own. Maybe 2 PSU's, one for each board will be better?

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
would it be possible to hook up the psu straight from the wires going to the earth, AC N, and AC L of the first psu?

this way I don't have to wire in another fuse and switch...

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
Now I'm not entirely sure about that and I've never tried it. I can make up a test rig over the weekend, but maybe somebody else will answer by then. I'll post back my findings.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
J0e Musashi said:
Now I'm not entirely sure about that and I've never tried it. I can make up a test rig over the weekend, but maybe somebody else will answer by then. I'll post back my findings.

I would really appreciate that!! and any info anyone can provide for my for this project..

thanks!!

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I don't know what the rating of most arcade psu's are..... But A PC psu should be able to power both....

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
IMO it would work if the voltage is being switched back and forth to each board when you are going to use either.
When you use one of those dual jamma boards your able to switch what board is in use right,thus cutting the power voltage to one of the boards.

I don't think you'll have a problem..unless the dual jamma board has some sort of voltage draw..
That might dip the 4 slot into working in properly.

If the dual jamma board..is just like a big switching device requiring no power to use then don't think you'll have a problem..

And I guess you can still have the Negative -5V going to both the Hyper And MVS too..since the -5V connection on the MVS is not used..

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
chris1 said:
IMO it would work if the voltage is being switched back and forth to each board when you are going to use either.
When you use one of those dual jamma boards your able to switch what board is in use right,thus cutting the power voltage to one of the boards.

I don't think you'll have a problem..unless the dual jamma board has some sort of voltage draw..
That might dip the 4 slot into working in properly.

If the dual jamma board..is just like a big switching device requiring no power to use then don't think you'll have a problem..

And I guess you can still have the Negative -5V going to both the Hyper And MVS too..since the -5V connection on the MVS is not used..

the dual boards have both games powered at all times and you can play one and switch over and then switch back and the game will of kept going.

yeah, not to worried about the -5v...more about the +5v because of the h64's extra draw and then getting all 4 slots to work on top of that.

I don't know enough about the voltage coming from the wall to know if splitting the "ac N" and "ac L" between two psu's would cause a problem....

what I really wanted to do was just take three wires, one from the "ac N", the "ac L", and then the earth....on the first psu and just run them to the 2nd psu...

but again, not sure if that would cause problems with anything. I know the monitor gets the ac right off the fuse power switch....and then it runs back to the psu...so I don't think the monitor would get messed up.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
norton9478 said:
I don't know what the rating of most arcade psu's are..... But A PC psu should be able to power both....

how about

+5v @ 15a
+12v @ 3a
-5v @ 1a

what do you think?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
NGT said:
how about

+5v @ 15a
+12v @ 3a
-5v @ 1a

what do you think?

Ohh yeah,

A four slot only draws at most 5 amps on the +5 and 1 amp on the +12

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
norton9478 said:
Ohh yeah,

A four slot only draws at most 5 amps on the +5 and 1 amp on the +12

how much would the h64 draw...with the extra harness?

another psu question...

if AC N and AC L are not labeled on your psu....how do you know which one is which?

John_Smith

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I'm not familiar with the exact current requirements of the Hyper NG64 boards, but I have ran a fully laden MV-4F and a CPS-2 board off my modded arcade PSU simultaneously without issue and the specs are the same as you mentioned a few posts earlier.

+5v @ 15a
+12v @ 3a
-5v @ 1a

I've had many other PCB combinations running off it at the same time too, but I figured that these 2 would be some of the thirstiest. Good luck with that!! ;)

01.jpg

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
running both off of 1 psu then get some cash and buy a 700Watt PC psu

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
^^could having the high watts hurt anything else in the cab?

also...

if AC N and AC L are not labeled on your psu....how do you know which one is which?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
i dont think it would hurt anything in your cab for having high watt beacause wouldnt that rule apply to computers aswell?

Do you know how many wattas those PCB's usually use if u know then u could compare that psu's wattage to a PC psu and suss it out but really more watt means the PSU is more powerfull and can handle allot more so usually a 250watt psu would only have enough cables lets say about 2 or 3 cables for the HDD but a 500watt would have about 4 to 6 cables to power HDD's so more wattage more it can handle really usually higher watt PSU's are very good quality so it would be a good choice

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
what the hell....I'll give that a shot.

thanks!

Also, if AC N and AC L are not labeled on your psu....how do you know which one is which?

:D

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
in the states black is live and white neutral, most of the rest of the world brown live and blue neutral.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
no no...I mean on the psu itself.....if there are no wires hooked up to it. Is AC L always the one closest to the end of the psu's row of screws? They are always right next to eachother....but how can you tell which screw is which if there are no labels for those two besides AC and AC on both.

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
John_Smith said:
Well it's a little project I knocked together a while back. Just a way of 'pretty-ing up' a typical arcade PSU and adding some more functionality while I was at it.

http://www.sgrepository.com/modules/xcgal/thumbnails.php?album=22

Looks really nice. Still a regular arcade psu inside though, right? Like a peter chou or something similar? I thought maybe the modding involved some insane boost in available amperage or wattage :drool:

I still need to post pics of my gun in a small sattellite receiver over there. I wish the SGR forums were more active, we should flood it with new posts.

-DT

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
NGT said:
no no...I mean on the psu itself.....if there are no wires hooked up to it. Is AC L always the one closest to the end of the psu's row of screws? They are always right next to eachother....but how can you tell which screw is which if there are no labels for those two besides AC and AC on both.

It makes no difference. alternating current supply to the primary of a transformer can be either way around (assuming no reference to earth). The colour code issue is only a convention/standard.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
ttooddddyy said:
It makes no difference. alternating current supply to the primary of a transformer can be either way around (assuming no reference to earth). The colour code issue is only a convention/standard.

ok great! thanks!! That answers a lot of questions I have about another project.