Capcom CPS2 questions

luggal

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I need some help. Based on what I read on cps2shock.com and a few other sites about the Capcom CPS2 A & B boards, I thought that (all of) the USA and JPN boards were interchangeable. Obviously, my "USA" boards work together, but my Japanese SFZ2 doesn't fit the US mobo. Is it supposed to? Does this look right? Am I just confused about the compatibility?

USA CPS2 mobo - blue USA sticker, blue test and volume buttons - one connector is recessed, all female:
cps2-mobo.bmp

USA CPS2 game D&D: Shadow Over Mystara - blue case, male connectors, one sticks out of the board:
cps2-ddsom.bmp

JPN CPS2 game Street Fighter Zero 2 - green case, all female connectors:
cps2-sfz2.bmp

Thanks!
Luggal

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
The recessed connector is found on Asian boards. The plastic shell on your board has clearly been swapped (removed seal is a dead giveaway).

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
MKL is correct, that 'a' board you have was designed for Asian grey 'b' boards. someone must have changed the buttons and sticker on the 'a' board or it came out the the factory incorrectly.

Raz

Lime2K

Host for Orochi
Wouldn't it be possible, if you were _really_ good at soldering, to find the correct connector and replace the incorrect one?

Currently in the MiniMVS of Doom: KOF 98, SS4, MD3, and Blazing Star

luggal

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I'm assuming that if the A board is Asian, the blue D&D board must be a hacked Asian flavor as well. It all boots up in English - test menu & game, even the title screen for the D&D game says 1996 USA etc.

I'm the exact opposite of good at soldering, so it's nothing that I could fix/change. The other problem is that the USA/Euro A board looks like it's supposed to have 4 male connectors, while the compatible (usa & jpn) games are all female. All 4 would have to be swapped out on this thing.

I contacted the seller & await a reply. If they're not willing to swap it out with a legit USA mobo + some of my cash back, since all I care about is the A board, I'll be in the market for one.

Thanks for the replies guys.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Don't the asian boards use the same exact insides at the USA boards?

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I believe that you can simply change the connecters on the a or b board to correct the problem but I have never tried this myself.

Raz

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
if all fails, i'm pretty sure you can get an A board on ebay for $50-$65. Maybe less if you find a good deal.

Ace

New Challenger
Razoola said:
I believe that you can simply change the connecters on the a or b board to correct the problem but I have never tried this myself.

Raz

I can confirm this, I converted an Asian SSF2 to work on US/EUR/JAP A boards. :)

Ace.

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Anyone have a a source for these connectors other than stealing them out of other CPS boards?? I'd really like to convert my Asian A board to work with US/Japanese games.

Cheers,
-DT

luggal

Kuroko's Training Dummy
dogtoy said:
Anyone have a a source for these connectors other than stealing them out of other CPS boards?? I'd really like to convert my Asian A board to work with US/Japanese games.

Cheers,
-DT

Been browsing through digikey and mouser catalogs. I'll let you know if I find anything...

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Sweet, I get the big mouser phonebook sized catalog. I'm thinking one of the VME connectors or something would be the correct one. Does anyone know how many pins this connector is??

What would be ideal for my Asian A board would be an extension for the recessed connector. Then I would have to have the shorter male connector for the grey SSF2 B board to work with it again.

This has got to be possible!!
-DT

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Mouser has them. They are 3 row 36 pin DIN connectors...

I'll have to find another source or wait awhile, mouser has a $25 or $30 minimum order and I can't think of $30 worth of stuff I need from mouser currently. If i do it i'll be sure and put up a post and/or website about it.