PC Engine is/was THE machine for shooters?

Baseley09

Hair Group,
How much do you hold this statement to be true?

Modern "retro" videogaming is full of such cliches. When you hear peeps talk about PC Engine shooters, Lords (winds) of Thunder always comes up, same can be said for Neo Geo and King Of Fighters.

TBH, despite these being excellent in their own right, there is a wealth of far more interesting stuff out there, particularly PC Engine wise. For starters the Star Soldier series (of which Final Soldier is my far out favourite).

What PC Engine shooters do you enjoy or play, seems to be all talk of cave arcade shooters and such n such from where i'm sitting these days.

Last edited:

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
I've got to say that I think both Blazing Lazers and Dead Moon are better than Lords of Thunder. Well, Dead Moon may not be better per se, but I play it as often if not more than LoT.

But I agree, the PCE was a fantastic system for shooters. Although with all the arcade ports now, the Dreamcast may have that title.

Oh, but don't forget Toilet Kids for PCE.
image%5Cpce_game_toilet_kids.gif

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Lots of talk about Cave these days, but the PCE probably has the greatest proportion of shooters in its game library(Ratio of shooters to other games, that is).
I myself consider it -the- shooter console, because besides Dracula-X, that's what it seems to be best known for.

I'd have to say the PCE was my favorite home console, and the shooter aspect is one of the main reasons.
Gate of Thunder/Lords of Thunder still command decent prices for old shooters.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Turbo Grafx [later got a CD, then 3.0 card...then finally a Duo] was my fave system I've had so far in life. Loved Dragon Spirit, Blazing Lazers, R-Type, Raxanber III, LOT, GOT, ungh! LOVE that damn system.

Kiken

Camel Slug
The PC-Engine Hu-Card of Salamander is probably my current favourite on the system.

Other faves would be Soldier Blade and PC Denjin (aka Air Zonk).

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I spent over $450 putting together a TG16, CD, converter card, system 3.0 card, etc. (yes, I know a Duo would have cost half that; long story), and I never have regretted it.

I enjoys my Bonk, like D mentioned, but the reason I own the thing and love it is for the shooters- I would agree that the PCE is still the biggest shooter system of all-time, just ahead of the Saturn (Japanese, of course) and the Dreamcast. Gunhed, Soldier Blade, and Final Soldier are all great, great games and absolutely flattened anything that was available on the SNES or Genesis at the time, IMO. Air Zonk is great fun. Lords of Thunder is fun, but I like Gate of Thunder a little better, personally. I think it's a little more refined, overall. Ai Cho Aniki is strange as hell, if you like a little homoeroticism in your 2-D shmup. And I just got Steam Hearts, which takes the title of perviest game I own, topping Strip Fighter 2 and various others. Can't remember playing another game, ever, in which the player character has to have sex with the bosses to purify them.

I would say that the PCE's hold on the title is looser than it used to be, mainly due to the Dreamcast still getting Naomi ports, like Dean said. And it doesn't have enough of them, but there are a lot of really good shooters on Saturn beyond the usual Radiant Silvergun and Battle Garegga.

But overall, yes, I would still call the PCE THE machine for shooters.

barf

Maxima's Barber
Personaly, on the PCEngine, my original favourites are Coryoon, Hana taka dakka and Star Parodia :)

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Maybe if Cave made some shooters for the PC Engine, it would still be all the rage... :emb:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
PinkPeach said:
Personaly, on the PCEngine, my original favourites are Coryoon, Hana taka dakka and Star Parodia :)

Coryoon = teh pricey doesn't it? Great game, played only the ROM though :crying:

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Kiken said:
The PC-Engine Hu-Card of Salamander is probably my current favourite on the system.

Other faves would be Soldier Blade and PC Denjin (aka Air Zonk).

Two of my favorite games. Especially the former.

Baseley09

Hair Group,
My actual no.1 PCE game is Download by NEC Avenue, for sure its not for shooting purists. Its the package, the way the story is worked into the gme while you play, the anime cut scenes and most importantly the music.

The swearing engrish helps too.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I have long been curious about, but not rich enough to actually play, Sapphire. I've seen it referred to as the most legendary shooter on PCE, anyone agree/refute that claim? :spock:

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
jro said:
. And I just got Steam Hearts, which takes the title of perviest game I own, topping Strip Fighter 2 and various others. Can't remember playing another game, ever, in which the player character has to have sex with the bosses to purify them.

Body Conquest II is pretty pervy as well, isn't it?

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
dark penguin said:
Body Conquest II is pretty pervy as well, isn't it?

I haven't played it. Dean? Anyone?

Is it a shooter, too? Might have to look for it...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Although for me, the shmup machine of choice between 89 and the mid-90s was the Mega Drive, I once had a PCE and had fun with it for a year and a half before I sold it in favor of the Neo and other vg-related madness...

The PCE shmup I've played the most was Galaga 88. I loved the arcade original, and I still rate the PCE port as almost perfect in every aspect.

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
It still is a top machine for shoot-em ups i would say for sure!!.... :buttrock:
Gates of thunder & Lords of thunder kickstarted it all for me :D ...along with the following.....
Soldierblade,Gunhed,superstarsoldier,gradius,r-type.....1+2...Ahh! the list goes on :D
Timeless classics..

Segata_Sanshiro

Tesse's Maintainence Man
15 Year Member
2 that I liked on PCE that never get mentioned are 1943 kai and Daisenpu

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
all I have to say, if you're talking about systems that are great for shooters

don't forget the building legacy of PS2, which seems to get a new shooter (or re-released shooter) every few months

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Good thread, been trying to build my pc-engine collection lately... however everybody seems to be mentioning the same games. Any other unknown/hidden gem shooters on pce?

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
StealthLurker said:
Good thread, been trying to build my pc-engine collection lately... however everybody seems to be mentioning the same games. Any other unknown/hidden gem shooters on pce?

I supose Spriggin Mark II dunno i don't see it mention here much :eye:

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Don't forget about Cotton(I just love this game), Spriggan(intense), Super Raiden(I like playing this game even better than the actual arcade game + better music than the playstation version), Gradius 2, and Finally R-type(Probably my favorite all time shooter).

I have a kisado converter and an arcade card so I've played Sapphire. I think it is a really great game. There are some polygonal enemies, cool line scolling, and the bosses animate really well (like blazing star, pulstar, and sol-divide's bosses). I must be due to the extra heaping of ram.The music is nice also, but the coolest thing about Sapphire is that it is a 2-player simultaneous game. That can't be said about some of the other great shooters on this system.