Perfect monitor for SHMUPS fans

Suzaku

Zero's Secretary
I've been upgrading my computer lately and stumbled upon this nicely prices monitor with spectacular reviews and tens of people vouching for it over at anandtech.

The monitor is a Hyundai L90D+ 19inch LCD which is a great monitor with DVI and analog input. If you want to play shmups on it this is the one for you ..

I played Doom 3, Half Life, CS, and a bunch of shmups on it and it looks great .. no shadowing or anything

Great sleek design and a very sturdy monitor

Also has a great price of $358.99 over at tigerdirect.

Picture:

H54-1902-j.jpg

SSS

neo retired
datalogik said:
CRT > LCD

Note: Only when it comes to gaming.

Note: Flipping a regular CRT display on it's side can fuck up the picture.

datalogik

Zero's Tailor,
SamuraiShodownSensei said:

"Gaming" in general. Besides if you're just going to play shumps then cool, but with other games that pump up some smooth silky frame rates you're pretty much restricted to resolution settings on an LCD.

Unless you like playing at 1024x768. :D

Last edited:

Suzaku

Zero's Secretary
Go ahead and check out the max resolution on it. It's pretty bright too. I am not saying that LCD is advanced enough to compete with the better CRT out there. But we live in 2005

Suzaku

Zero's Secretary
It has SXGA 1280 x 1024 resolution with 25ms responce time. Almost as bright as the Sony Xbrite and most CRTs and no shadowing or gliches.

datalogik

Zero's Tailor,
Suzaku said:
Go ahead and check out the max resolution on it. It's pretty bright too. I am not saying that LCD is advanced enough to compete with the better CRT out there. But we live in 2005

I know. :) I use my CRT for gaming and LCD for work and surfing.

Suzaku

Zero's Secretary
I have this monitor and I'm telling you it's good for gaming. Now go poop someone elses thread

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
SamuraiShodownSensei said:

you can always degause it with the flick of a button.

All of the shock from moving it is more likely to cause problems than actualy playing it on it's side.

Vincent Volaju

Cheng's Errand Boy
Why again would you play it on it's side?

Or is this "schmups" thing have to do with a format that won't work on a normal upright monitor?

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Vincent Volaju said:
Why again would you play it on it's side?

Or is this "schmups" thing have to do with a format that won't work on a normal upright monitor?

Vertical shooters. They're meant to be played on a screen, basically turned on its side with the game scrolling upwards.

I've heard great things about the Hyundai's before. Really good value for the price apparently. What's the native resolution on this thing though? 15" LCDs are about all I'm looking at because the XRGB-2+ supports 1024x768. Anything else (well, 640x480, but I know of no LCD barring LCD TVs that support that natively) and you're stretching pixels, which equals bad.

I want to get my hands on a Samsung 152x, but they seem to be hard to come by.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Looks like a nice monitor, but the response time seems a little slow. But then again, some people don't really notice it as much as others, so I guess you really just have to see it before you take the plunge. It is a very cool way to play vertical shmups though.

Robert

20 Year Member
You know Tonk, if I had not seen your avatar first, I would have thought that it was stinky dinkins material.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
LCDs are great for gaming if you get one with Xbrite/brightview/glassview/etc:.
(You know, the ones with a glossy, reflective surface. Anyway, unless you can superimpose scanlines on your LCD, your oldschool games will look very chunky and gritty. Ie: enabling scanlines on mame.

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
I use my laptop exclusively as my computer, and as such, I'm always rocking out the 17" LCD screen.

It's as good, if not better, than my monitor at work (which is a very expensive color calibrated monitor).

LCD's are perfectly cool provided you drop some coin on them (my laptop cost me $1800 when I bought it).

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
Try using a HANTAREX crt monitor... simply the best quality in my book, vertical/horizontal... there will be no picture drag/problems with these beauts!!.
Professional arcade monitors. Your shooters will have never looked so good!.