Did you regret switching from AES to MVS?

Do you regret leaving AES or at least switching to MVS?

• I left the AES market entirely and regret it.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I left the AES market but switched to MVS and regret it.

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • I left the AES market entirely and am happy I did it.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I left the AES market entirely and switched to MVS and am happy I did it.

Votes: 43 52.4%
  • I only sold off my most expensive AES games and regret it.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I only sold off my most expensive AES games and am happy I did it.

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • I thought about selling stuff but stuck with it, even after multiple thoughts. Its the price you pay

Votes: 18 22.0%

• Total voters
With my buying a house very very soon, and marriage coming up in June, I have been really thinking about my priorities lately. Maybe some of you have noticed a behavior change in me regarding videogaming. Blame it on the above. Thinking about how much joy my NEO AES has given me for over 13 years, yet how crazy it is to own homecarts that cost > $200, or even upwards of $500-$600 (Garou, MSX) to name a few.

Now I'm not trying to make this sound like another pitiful crybaby woe is me thread about how expensive AES is. For those who have had AES for such a long time, there is, at least for me a strong emotional attachment to it.

Prior to finding this website, my most expensive AES game was Viewpoint at $150. I have bought at least $5000 worth of NEO AES games and hardware since. Much of it sold, and some rebought.

It seriously depresses me to think about selling even the most expensive games I have to embrace a senseful POV on the subject. That I could sacrifice the greatness of MSX NGH for the MVS version that costs 1/10th as much.

For those of you who left AES, because of cost to join the MVS camp or to be free of NEO forever, did you regret it, despite the cashout? If so, how did you cope?

I am asking this in all seriousness, not only for my curiosity, but maybe others here may feel the same way about themselves, on varying degrees.
Thanks.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I used to have an AES. I loved it. Now I have MVS. I love it more because I have more games than I ever could have afforded on AES. Last Blade, MotW, most of the Fatal Furies, AOF 2 and 3, Kizuna, KOF '02, and many more...all for less than the price that MotW would have cost by itself on homecart.

For example, Last Blade cost me about $40. I have no idea what it goes for on AES, but I bet it's more than that.

And how do I cope? I play on a cab now. However much I did love my AES, this is better. A million times better.

Insaneclown

ICP Suxorz
I thought about selling stuff but stuck with it, even after multiple thoughts. Its the price you pay for going AES.

My mind may change again. :loco:

BIG

sony fanboy
This is a toughie,but all in all,I'd have to say that I've made the right choice by switching over from AES to MVS...although I will admit that I do miss the AES from time to time.

BIG-

SSS

neo retired
meh, just keep what homecarts you have. And buy any other games you want in MVS format. Not that difficult.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
I kept my AES carts and got into MVS for the games that were basically prohibitive on AES. I really thought about selling off my AES collection, but I just don't have the heart for it - took me too long to collect them.

Maybe I'll sell them one day ... who knows.

bones

Crazed MVS Addict
switched from AES to MVS no regrets. Methinks it depends on whether you're more of a player or a collector. For players MVS can't be beat, a big red cab and a huge stack of games can be had for cheap. If you're more the collector then AES is sweet. I do wonder how well prices will hold up over time for AES carts, but that's another topic :D

Mystic_flame

Zero's Tailor
Electroman said:
With my buying a house very very soon, and marriage coming up in June, I have been really thinking about my priorities lately. Maybe some of you have noticed a behavior change in me regarding videogaming. Blame it on the above. Thinking about how much joy my NEO AES has given me for over 13 years, yet how crazy it is to own homecarts that cost > $200, or even upwards of $500-$600 (Garou, MSX) to name a few.

The voice of Reason here...Do what you have to do. Basically Neo Geo games wont feed your family or keep your life good for very long. If I ever had to sacrifice my Neo Geo stuff because of my family then I would do it in a heartbeat. Death-gripping a few games wont improve your life. If you have extra cash and can afford to spend it, thats great. If its a struggle between "I need to feed my family and Myself" then the Neo has to go. Yes they appreciate in value, but it wont do you any good if you are homeless.

Are you a gamer? If you are then any platform shouldnt really matter. If you are a collector on the other hand thats where it will bite you in the butt.

The only person that can answer your questions is you. Weigh the pros and cons. From my prospective, I buy Neo Geo AES stuff because I have extra money. If I needed money I would sell my Neo stuff and some of my other game stuff. Family and a place to live deffinately should be high up on my prioritys chart. This is where I take care of my family and myself first. Secondary needs are entertainment.

If I were in your shoes I would 1) start getting ready for the wedding 2) Start preparing the mortgage paperwork and financial planning 3) Move into your new place 4) Get settled 5) Now its Neo Geo time.

Remember to weigh the pros and cons...Hope that helps.

ericb

NEST Puppet
Very recently, I've gotten into MVS, and for the time being, almost abandoned my AES. I don't really like the 'feeling' of collecting MVS; it feels as though I don't actually 'own' a game until I get the AES version. I know my MVS copies of KOF98 and LB1 are only transitional, as one day within the next few months, I will pick up each of those in AES form and sell my MVS copies. It's nice to know that there are some titles that I could never afford on AES that I have/am getting on MVS (Metal Slug series, for instance), and those seem to be an execption, but... it just feels like cheating.

I think I may be the only one who feels this way, though.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
ericb said:
Very recently, I've gotten into MVS, and for the time being, almost abandoned my AES. I don't really like the 'feeling' of collecting MVS; it feels as though I don't actually 'own' a game until I get the AES version. I know my MVS copies of KOF98 and LB1 are only transitional, as one day within the next few months, I will pick up each of those in AES form and sell my MVS copies. It's nice to know that there are some titles that I could never afford on AES that I have/am getting on MVS (Metal Slug series, for instance), and those seem to be an execption, but... it just feels like cheating.

Yeah it's weird, I feel that way too.

Mystic_flame

Zero's Tailor
StealthLurker said:
Yeah it's weird, I feel that way too.

Ditto. I have a Phantom right now and MS3 in the machine. Its an awesome game, but when its out of my machine it just gets thrown off to the side. If I had a AES MS3 it would go right back into the box and placed on my game shelf.

Now thats the difference between gaming and collecting...I am borderline right now so stuff gets cared for as the price goes up.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
Hell no, :spock: I get no joy from over paying for something. I don't mind buying a expansive kit every now and then from the Neo-Store especially if it's something good and rare like Super Dodge Ball. But I wouldn't pay $200.00 and up for every game I own. But then again I would love to have a full mintiy compete set of all of the Neo titles that I want. :rolleyes:

Plus I have that fear that the Neo-Geo market is due for a bottoming out on prices for certain titles, similar to what happened to comic books. I still would like to know what happened to all of those Metal Slug AES carts.

Last edited:

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Where's my "I never touched the AES, went directly MVS and I'm lovin' it" option? Previous to MVS I had roms, ports and NGCD, but not AES.

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
I get kind of bummed once in a while that I did but it was a good decision overall. I enjoy playing games on a cab a whole lot more than sitting in front of the TV.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Nope i don't regret switching to MVS at all.

AES>Rich folks :p

MVS>Budget gamer :glee:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I answered that I switched and am happy. BUT, there's something ever so cool about having those big AES carts. Great artwork on those games. Almost like having mini trophies on your shelf when you had those games. :)

Akihabara

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I think it very much depends on your collection.
If you have a complete Neo collection with all the good stuff there isn't really that more to collect and the money should go to more important things.
But if you have some cool titles and just a fair collection you might want to hold on to it, especially when it wouldn't make that much money.
If for example you only have MSX to name one and you could get a good price for it, I should just sell the ones where you can get the cash for.

Anyway, good luck with the marriage and your house dude!

Adamaki

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
My option isn't there. [x] I haven't got into mvs yet but I'm about to so I can get cheaper games but there's no way I'm selling my aes.

ericb said:
It's nice to know that there are some titles that I could never afford on AES that I have/am getting on MVS (Metal Slug series, for instance), and those seem to be an execption, but... it just feels like cheating.

That's exactly the way I feel. The gamer side of me wants the mvs to get all those quality games at cheap prices (my sensible reasoning and guilt tell me to do this as well!), but the collecting side of me wants all the games on aes. It's just so much nicer to get those nice big carts with all the artwork and instruction manuals etc. It's a good job reasoning overrides my collecting habit otherwise I'd have no money left :eek:

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
I don't own an Aes, but I have a bunch of PS2 ports and I have a Neo CD. I am cosidering getting an MVS, because it will stay in one permanent spot. I know my wife is getting tired of my games being everywhere. Even though I keep it all neat, it's still alot of stuff laying around. Not to mention my custom stick hobby.
She will appreciate the fact that games are less $$$

omnedon

Astra Superstar
My Phantom solved this issue altogether.

I own some great titles on AES (some pricey ones even).

But every month the collection grows a bit more,another shockbox gets filled, and I spend less than $50 per month. Most recently, I picked up WW7, SSIV, and LB2, all on the cheap.

Win Win. No regrets here. :glee:

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
I've gone back and forth a million times. Owned many AES system and games over the years, switched to MVS twice, promptly sold up. Now I'm looking forward to two-three years from now, when the bottom completely falls out of the AES market - I'll dive back in and snatch up everything I want. Until then, the collector's market kills all my interest in getting back into it.

Fellas have some good advice here. I'm a gamer first; collecting is just the icing on the cake. I agree with ericb in a way; owning the AES version of a game just really makes it all feel complete. I hate to analogize 'elite' with AES, I think that is wrong to even put such a label on it; but I just feel that AES is really the pinnacle of NEO gaming, even if it costs so damn much. The carts are just so damn nice, unique, and unreal in size. There is nothing like them in the world (or is there?).

Twalden- You say you can get bummed out once in a while. That's too bad there bro. I can totally understand. How do you deal with it?

Amano Jacu- Sorry, my focus was on people here who started with AES, and had to switch to MVS at some point down the road, and how they delt with it ;)

Thanks for the input guys. I hope discussion continues-

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I never switched to MVS.

But I did part with a lot of my homecarts; this I don't regret.

mark-art

NEST Puppet
I've only had my aes for a little while, but I like it alot. Its nice having the console sitting there with a big fucking cart sticking out of it! I thought about going mvs, but I got no space for a cab whatsoever, and thought about getting a consolized 2-slot, but after spending the money of the aes, I figured I'll just keep it. I'm not into collecting or shit like that, these are just toys to me, just to have fun and enjoy. I'm only interested in a select few games as well, but the prices are steep. I'm waiting till shit hits the fan, and the market collapses to pick up those few really espensive ones like MOTW.