Rail Shooters

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Well, rail shmups aren't my fave sub-genre, but there are some pretty cool games like Rez, Panzer Dragoon1/2/Orta and a few others that really are worth getting into.

I've put quite some time into Orta and Rez. Orta is strangely addictive and decently challenging on higher diffs... some unlockables are a bit freaky tho with all those story and "geographical" infos/clips about the PD world, but the extra missions are cool.

And Rez... some say it would be overrated and perhaps it is, but gameplay is spot-on, and I also like the music. I mean, you don't have to be a Japanophile to love Ken Ishii! :)

Oh, and I've seen a very short clip of an in-house presentation of Jeff Minter's Unity in its early stages, it looks like a hybrid of a rail shmup and elements of Tempest 2k/3k/X3... it's so friggin' sad that this game never will see a release, I would have camped in front of my fave vg store to be the first in town to play it... shame on you, mainstream fund raisers.

Edit: In case you don't know what the hell a rail shooter is, it's a shmup where the game controls most of your movements and takes you from place to place on a pre-set route (as if you would be on rails) with only little control over which direction to go/fly/drive next. In some games, all you have to do is to aim and shoot, others (like PDO) offer more freedom of movement and require the player to actively dodge obstacles, fly through narrow gaps, etc.

Examples:

Panzer Dragoon 1 and 2 (Saturn), Orta

Rez

House of the Dead-series

Star Wars Rebel Assault and most older Star Wars games, specially the early vector/non-filled polygon versions.

HyperZone (SNES)

Star Fox

Sin and Punishment (?)

Last edited:

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Well despite what they are, Panzer and Zwei are some of the best games ever period.

Space Harrier pls.

I played some narly Japanese Panzer clone on the PSX where you have a giant turtle guardian, my bud has it ill find the name out.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Takumaji said:
And Rez... some say it would be overrated and perhaps it is, but gameplay is spot-on, and I also like the music. I mean, you don't have to be a Japanophile to love Ken Ishii! :)

Why would anyone consider Rez over-rated?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Seems that some ppl don't get what Rez is about. Sure, it's a rail shmup, but it's also a unique visual and aural experience that you have to appreciate in order to get the most out of it.

I've read about Rez being overrated here in Unrelated and on other boards... well, it's a game that "opens up" the more you play it, and given most ppls' short attention spans, it's no wonder some don't like it... :)

Mad Mage

Edo Express Delivery Guy
20 Year Member
Well, I didn't get into Rez when I played it, but I'm sure it's a good game.

At any rate, when you're talking about Railed Shooters, Sin and Punishment is king. That game is a piece of art. A piece of art with some of the most intense, incrdible, breath-taking gameplay you've ever seen. I still can't beat it on hard. And you know that part where you're flying around on a chunk of aircraft carrior? Pure genious and so beutiful!

But Panzer Dragoon and Star Fox 64 are also insanely fun. My favortie Panzer Dragoon would have to be Zwei. Man, those games had such amazing soundtracks.

MNK

King's Dry Cleaner
Mad Mage said:
At any rate, when you're talking about Railed Shooters, Sin and Punishment is king. That game is a piece of art. A piece of art with some of the most intense, incrdible, breath-taking gameplay you've ever seen. I still can't beat it on hard. And you know that part where you're flying around on a chunk of aircraft carrior? Pure genious and so beutiful!

WORD :buttrock:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I think a lot of people look at Rez on the top, skimming the surface, without taking everything about the game into consideration.

The game is like a psychedelic trip, the sum of the parts equals the whole, not just the gameplay.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Rez is an amazing experience.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Mad Mage said:
At any rate, when you're talking about Railed Shooters, Sin and Punishment is king.

I've first seen the game in action on a local gaming party, one of my friends immediately fell in love with it and imported it straight away. If anything, you could say the game is a bit short, but it still has lots of replay value, Treasure did a great job with that.

I've also heard ppl talking about the low difficulty level of the game... well, guess with a bit of practice, one can breeze through the game in less than three or four hours, but from the few rounds I've played, I didn't get the impression of S&P being too easy, at least not on hard.

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
Space Harrier, After Burner, Galaxy Force, Panzer Dragoon, Rez.. they're all great. Sega is definately king of the rail shooter. The original Star Wars vector arcade game is also one of my favorites.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
NIGHT STRIKER!!!

oh how I love you Zuntata

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
roker said:
I think a lot of people look at Rez on the top, skimming the surface, without taking everything about the game into consideration.

The game is like a psychedelic trip, the sum of the parts equals the whole, not just the gameplay.

Thank you professor.

There is a good chance I spelled professor wrong.

Kiken

Camel Slug
Takumaji said:
I've first seen the game in action on a local gaming party, one of my friends immediately fell in love with it and imported it straight away. If anything, you could say the game is a bit short, but it still has lots of replay value, Treasure did a great job with that.

I've also heard ppl talking about the low difficulty level of the game... well, guess with a bit of practice, one can breeze through the game in less than three or four hours, but from the few rounds I've played, I didn't get the impression of S&P being too easy, at least not on hard.

I think the most difficult aspect of the game is simply coming to grips with the controls.

It normally takes me about an hour to SCC the game on Normal. And honestly, I don't find the game all that easy... perhaps this is more a case of the majority of reviewers calling a game "easy", despite the fact that it took them 20 credits to beat it.

And I certainly agree that the aircraft carrier level (stage 2-2) is one of the single greatest moments in videogaming. ^_^

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
From sheer memory alone, I'd have to say Star Fox 64 is my favorite rails-shooter ever. However, I haven't played it in years...but just the thought of those dog fights with Fox's rival makes me want to wax nostalgic.

Nowadays I just play Rez a whole lot, "Fear is a mind killer". That shit in the last level opened up a lot of things to me.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Baseley09 said:
I played some narly Japanese Panzer clone on the PSX where you have a giant turtle guardian, my bud has it ill find the name out.

Gamera.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
LoneSage said:
From sheer memory alone, I'd have to say Star Fox 64 is my favorite rails-shooter ever. However, I haven't played it in years...but just the thought of those dog fights with Fox's rival makes me want to wax nostalgic.

Nowadays I just play Rez a whole lot, "Fear is a mind killer". That shit in the last level opened up a lot of things to me.

That`s ripped from "Dune" the Bene Gesserit`s "litany against fear"

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Is Starblade considered a rail shooter? If yes, that's my fav of all time. There's just something about sitting in that cockpit cab with the old school magnifying glass lense-like big screen with the bass pumping around you as you flying into the opening sequence with those motherships... :smirk:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I liked Ed Hunter, But mostly for the atomisphere and the soundtrack.

Moose

Moose,
20 Year Member
damn, WHERE IS THE PANORAMA COTTON LOVE!?!?!?!?!/11

And after burner was always fun too.

Bogard82

n00b
N20: Nitrous Oxide and Nanotek Warrior, both for the PSX, are a few of my favorite rails. I highly recommend N20 for the rail shmupper, with it's cool techno music and acid-trippy look.

roninbuddha

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
well, of corz, i enjyed sapce harrier and burning force... and also, i think Rez is a masterpiece, plus, Sin & Punishment is prolly one of the N64's best....

btw, any rail's for DC? besides Rez, which are noteable??

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Mad Mage said:

It's really incredible that Treasure managed to make such a beautiful game. The whole thing was just one breath taking scene after another. It's what I would consider a work of art. From the opening dream battle, to taking out the entire empire's fleet on a flying chunk of aircraft carrier, to the music in the future dreamin the subway train - it was just magnificently put together. It not just a game but an experience; a revelation.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
what about r type and pulstar

I mean

you can hardly stop or go right,

omg rail shooters.