Gradius

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
The Gradius series, you either love it or hate it. In all honesty, I've never been much of a Gradius fan. I remember trying to play it on the older systems when I was younger and even more recently in the past five years of so and it was just too slow paced and unforgiving. Now though... I'm kind of hooked.

The thing to change all this? Gradius V. When this game dropped, I bought it simply due to the fact that Treasure worked on it and it looked absolutely beautiful. To my surprise, I loved actually playing it as well. I put so many hours into it. More than any other shooter in recent time. I haven't played it in a while due to it being stolen from my previous residence, but I did recently pick up Gradius Galaxies to pass the time at work and it's pretty much been in my SP for three days straight.

Now, as much as I'm enjoying the game, it's reminding me why I was never a fan of the series and why I actually liked playing Gradius V so much. First of all, there's the speed issue. First thing you have to do in this is to get your speed up, and that's fine. The problem I have with this particular Gradius is that using one speed up feels too slugish, yet just right on how accurately it controls--pixel perfect. It just feels precise. Use another speed up and it becomes fast enough in that I can move around the screen efficiently enough to kill enemies and collect power ups, yet I'm taking a hit in control accuracy. This wasn't a problem for me in GV, as control was spot on at a comfortable speed. But with Galaxies I find myself hitting walls and loosing my force field, or even worse, a life...

Which leads me to my one major gripe with this game: losing a life. I just want to quite once this happens, save for a few points in the game where I'm able to survive long enough to power my ship up moderately. Starting over at a checkpoint with absolutely nothing just sucks. Treasure did it right in GV in letting you just continue on and giving you the opportunity to pick your options back up. Then you have a fighting chance.

So my aim with Galaxies is pretty much to one life the game. It feels more than attainable as the difficulty isn't too bad thus far... although I'm only seeing middle of stage five out of eight on my first life. What's to expect out of those last three stages? Really tough? Oh, and how many loops are there, anyone know? At any rate, even with those two major quibbles, this is the best portable shooter I've yet to play (haven't given Iridion II much time yet, but I don't think it'll top this one). Really fun and the graphics are great. I'm enjoying it thoroughly. Can't wait to see those last three bosses.

And to the Gradius followers out there, what's another in the series that I might enjoy? I saw a short clip of Gradius Gaiden before and that looked pretty damn nice. Then there's Lifeforce, which I think I played briefly a long while back but I really wasn't into the genre then. What's the downside on those two? Same as Galaxies? Any input would be appreciated.

Kiken

Camel Slug
Life Force (for NES) is an odd mix of Salamander and the arcade remix, Life Force. It features instant respawn, so you might enjoy it. The arcade version of Salamander features instant respawn... however, gone is the traditional power-up bar. In its place are standard power-ups, plus you can reclaim Options when you die. The PC-Engine version of Salamander removes the instant respawn in single player (in 2-player simultaneous, it's there though), however, given the arcade power-up format, it's easier to recover from a lost life.

Gradius Gaiden is much the same as the PC-Engine rev of Salamander in terms of respawning: single player, you're sent back to a continue point, 2-player simultaneous allows instant respawn (as well as Option capture). Gradius Gaiden also has the unique Gauge Edit, where you can shift around the order of the SMDLO? icons. Meaning you can have shield as the first item in your selection. Coupled with the fact that Gradius Gaiden (like Gradius V) does not skimp on giving you power-ups, recovery in a single-player game is quite doable.

I know that CCC Shiner has done No Miss videos of both Life Force (NES) and Gradius Galaxies (just the first loop). I myself have done a No Miss first loop run of Gradius Gaiden (with the Jade Knight).

Check out Archive.org's Game Replays section.

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
subcons said:
The Gradius series, you either love it or hate it. In all honesty, I've never been much of a Gradius fan. I remember trying to play it on the older systems when I was younger and even more recently in the past five years of so and it was just too slow paced and unforgiving. Now though... I'm kind of hooked.

The thing to change all this? Gradius V. When this game dropped, I bought it simply due to the fact that Treasure worked on it and it looked absolutely beautiful. To my surprise, I loved actually playing it as well. I put so many hours into it. More than any other shooter in recent time. I haven't played it in a while due to it being stolen from my previous residence, but I did recently pick up Gradius Galaxies to pass the time at work and it's pretty much been in my SP for three days straight.

Now, as much as I'm enjoying the game, it's reminding me why I was never a fan of the series and why I actually liked playing Gradius V so much. First of all, there's the speed issue. First thing you have to do in this is to get your speed up, and that's fine. The problem I have with this particular Gradius is that using one speed up feels too slugish, yet just right on how accurately it controls--pixel perfect. It just feels precise. Use another speed up and it becomes fast enough in that I can move around the screen efficiently enough to kill enemies and collect power ups, yet I'm taking a hit in control accuracy. This wasn't a problem for me in GV, as control was spot on at a comfortable speed. But with Galaxies I find myself hitting walls and loosing my force field, or even worse, a life...

Which leads me to my one major gripe with this game: losing a life. I just want to quite once this happens, save for a few points in the game where I'm able to survive long enough to power my ship up moderately. Starting over at a checkpoint with absolutely nothing just sucks. Treasure did it right in GV in letting you just continue on and giving you the opportunity to pick your options back up. Then you have a fighting chance.

So my aim with Galaxies is pretty much to one life the game. It feels more than attainable as the difficulty isn't too bad thus far... although I'm only seeing middle of stage five out of eight on my first life. What's to expect out of those last three stages? Really tough? Oh, and how many loops are there, anyone know? At any rate, even with those two major quibbles, this is the best portable shooter I've yet to play (haven't given Iridion II much time yet, but I don't think it'll top this one). Really fun and the graphics are great. I'm enjoying it thoroughly. Can't wait to see those last three bosses.

And to the Gradius followers out there, what's another in the series that I might enjoy? I saw a short clip of Gradius Gaiden before and that looked pretty damn nice. Then there's Lifeforce, which I think I played briefly a long while back but I really wasn't into the genre then. What's the downside on those two? Same as Galaxies? Any input would be appreciated.

Gradius 3 is a great game if you can get your hands on a cheap SNES copy.

Lifeforce is....well, I've never liked it much. It's the weak link in the series IMHO.

I also have Galaxies, and I enjoyd it quite a bit. Note that it's actually developed by Mobile21 and not Konami proper, but I think they got the formula down pretty good.

That being said, I'm a big Gradius fan...they are difficult, often unforgiving games, but they have a definite nostalgia feel to them. I think V is the high point in the series...very smooth game. In fact, I've been playing it a bit tonight.

Enjoy Galaxies...it's a nice little game that sort of sums up all the early Gradius titles. Great for playing on the go or if you have 10 minutes or so to kill :D

subcons

Thanks for the input and link Kiken. Think I might have to pick up Gaiden at some point.

I meant to ask about III and IV. Worth picking up the Gradius pack on PS2? I was just reading the thread over at the shmups board about it. Seems like a pretty mixed bag. But I guess that's just Gradius in general.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You're lame if you only got into Gradius after V.

Just like you are not a true Castlevania fan if SOTN was your first experience.

You ruin it for the rest of us.

Y'know the Castlevania DUngeon is a Jerk-off fest for SOTN with a bunch of poorly written articles around it.

True.

Kurt Kalada is a fag.

subcons

Pill said:

Y'know the Castlevania DUngeon is a Jerk-off fest for SOTN with a bunch of poorly written articles around it.

True.

Kurt Kalada is a fag.

Yes, I'm lame. Thank you.

Rade K

20 Year Member
subcons said:
Yes, I'm lame. Thank you.

You know, I didn't even read your post. I stopped at the first sentence. It's like, Merc totally burned me out on reading.

We could be gaming soul mates, but my attention span is t h ..

Mad Mage

Edo Express Delivery Guy
20 Year Member
Pill said:

Ah, the elitist gamer. A common breed who ignorantly insults othersin order to feel better about himself. I think this site would be better if the mods censored mindless flaming more often. I clicked on this topic to talk about Gradius, not to spread mindless hatered.

So I'll talk about it. Gradius 5 is an excellent game which imo greatly improves upon the series while keeping the original's feel. I like older games in the series, though I find myself without the time and perhaps the skill to play them more often. I guess that makes me a lamer (and yet I've never been so proud).

BIG

sony fanboy
I just hate dying and having to restart at a checkpoint...fukkin blows.

BIG-

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Mad Mage said:
Ah, the elitist gamer. A common breed who ignorantly insults othersin order to feel better about himself. I think this site would be better if the mods censored mindless flaming more often. I clicked on this topic to talk about Gradius, not to spread mindless hatered.

So I'll talk about it. Gradius 5 is an excellent game which imo greatly improves upon the series while keeping the original's feel. I like older games in the series, though I find myself without the time and perhaps the skill to play them more often. I guess that makes me a lamer (and yet I've never been so proud).

Well, Pill's post may sound a bit elitist but it's a fact that ppl who have played the old stuff to pieces and love it for its unique gameplay view sequels from a different angle.

It's perfectly normal to compare a sequel of a long-running series to the older stuff, if the developers can't stand that, they should have called it Joe Average's Horizontal Shooting Circus or something instead of giving it a Gradius name, thus placing it in the same league as Gradius Gaiden and other gems.... no game's an island. ;)

Other than that I agree, Gradius V is a good game, but for the moment I prefer R-Type Final, unlocking ships and other stuff is just so damn addictive...

Mad Mage

Edo Express Delivery Guy
20 Year Member
Don't get me wrong. I respect the entire Gradius series for what it is. In fact I've a had a good deal of fun playing Gradius 3 and 4 on my PS2.

But you have to admit that what Pill said was rude, had no backing, and did not provide insight, humor, or anything remotely productive. It was merely a post intended to provolk anger, not to discuss the Gradius series.

As for R-type Final. That a great game too. Heh, I couldn't beat the final boss so I quit playing.

Rade K

20 Year Member
Mad Mage said:
Don't get me wrong. I respect the entire Gradius series for what it is. In fact I've a had a good deal of fun playing Gradius 3 and 4 on my PS2.

But you have to admit that what Pill said was rude, had no backing, and did not provide insight, humor, or anything remotely productive. It was merely a post intended to provolk anger, not to discuss the Gradius series.

As for R-type Final. That a great game too. Heh, I couldn't beat the final boss so I quit playing.

Tounge planted firmly into cheak....

Who the fuck are you? Who's the bigger rude-ass, me or the dude that deconstructs a frivilous post? Who's on the higher horse?

Who knows?

I'm no Kid Aphex. I'm not going to use words that are not necessary and I actually like the people I have so much in common with.

Truth is, any love for Gradius or Rtype in this age of MechAssault 2 Lone Wolf shit is a good thing.

I'll be waiting for a thoughtful appology, MadMage.

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
R-type Final and Gradius V are both great games in their own respects. I'm happy enough that developers are still cranking a few of these type of games out for home consoles, in this era of FPS overload.

Mad Mage

Edo Express Delivery Guy
20 Year Member
Pill, we don't have much to fight about. We are both gamers who enjoy 2D gameplay-oriented games over mainstream pap.

The reason I replied to your frivolous post is because it offended me. And that's good enough of a reason for me. I can accept that message board edicate is far from the civil level of normal society. But when you go about trashing good websites without reason and calling anyone who didn't play the old Gradius games first a lamer, I feel you need to be called on it. My hopes are that if I point out when someone is being a huge jerk, that they may think twice before making another thoughtless post.

Neo-geo.com is one of the most hateful websites I visit. But there are too many wonderful things about it to just abandon it. It's be a lot nicer if we'd treat each other like human beings.

subcons

I can just feel the love in this thread. Seriously though, no hard feelings. It's a message board. I'm hardly effected by it.

From what I've read, it doesn't seem like it's worth me going back and playing the first in the series or its sequel. Does that seem a fair assumption from what I've posted thus far?

I did however just buy the Gradius pack for PS2 off someone over at the shmup boards, so I guess we'll see how much I like III and IV. I'm curious to see this infamous bubble stage that so many people seem to have trouble with.

Gaiden will be next on my list. I'll keep an eye out for it...

Also, what's the deal with some of the more cartoony games from Japan that Konami put out that are somehow tied to the Gradius series? I remember seeing clips of them on the Options DVD that I had for a short while, but I really know nothing about those games. Anyone care to enlighten me? Fun shooters, or not worth my time?

BIG

sony fanboy
subcons said:
Also, what's the deal with some of the more cartoony games from Japan that Konami put out that are somehow tied to the Gradius series? I remember seeing clips of them on the Options DVD that I had for a short while, but I really know nothing about those games. Anyone care to enlighten me? Fun shooters, or not worth my time?

Are you refering to the Parodius series? If so,you're in for a treat.

Also,if you prefer the respawning and faster pace of Gradius V to those of the original series,be sure to check out Salamander Deluxe Pack PSX (Salamander,Life Force,Salamander II).

BIG-

subcons

Bigp0ppaLarge said:
Are you refering to the Parodius series? If so,you're in for a treat.

Also,if you prefer the respawning and faster pace of Gradius V to those of the original series,be sure to check out Salamander Deluxe Pack PSX (Salamander,Life Force,Salamander II).

BIG-

Yeah, I believe it is Parodius. How many are there in that series? I'll look into them and read up.

As for Salamander, I'm looking at that. Can't really find a price reference, but I have a feeling I remember it being in the $70+ range, correct? No clue what the current price point on it would be.

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
Pill said:
Tounge planted firmly into cheak....

Who the fuck are you? Who's the bigger rude-ass, me or the dude that deconstructs a frivilous post? Who's on the higher horse?

Who knows?

I'm no Kid Aphex. I'm not going to use words that are not necessary and I actually like the people I have so much in common with.

Truth is, any love for Gradius or Rtype in this age of MechAssault 2 Lone Wolf shit is a good thing.

I'll be waiting for a thoughtful appology, MadMage.

Another bromidic post by Rade.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Great post, subcons.

subcons said:
I meant to ask about III and IV. Worth picking up the Gradius pack on PS2? I was just reading the thread over at the shmups board about it. Seems like a pretty mixed bag. But I guess that's just Gradius in general.

The Gradius 3&4 pack is what got me into the series, back in August of 03. I'd always wanted to play them, and my interest in shmups was reborn in that same month, so I was pretty hyped. I was also not disappointed with what I played :)

Both of them are great games, for awhile Gradius 3 was my favorite shmup ever. I can see how Gradius 4 can be a mixed bag for some; the graphics might turn off a few people, but deep inside the gameplay's tight as ever. I suggest you buy Gradius 3&4; it's starting to become more uncommon to see in gaming stores, though if you see it it should be less than $20 with everything. If anything, the two greatest faults with the pack are that Gradius 1&2 were not included (it was a prime moment for Gradius 2 to finally come stateside, but no...) and that the requirements for getting extra credits and whatnot are too difficult. Thankfully, someone at Konami must have noticed, because in Gradius V the longer you play, the more credits you get.

Gradius V's still my favorite in the series, but Gradius 3&4 are still great games. Check them out.

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
Gradius was the first videogame I ever played; as such, it influenced my tastes in gaming more than any other. It always holds a special spot in my heart.

BIG

sony fanboy
subcons said:
Yeah, I believe it is Parodius. How many are there in that series? I'll look into them and read up.

As for Salamander, I'm looking at that. Can't really find a price reference, but I have a feeling I remember it being in the $70+ range, correct? No clue what the current price point on it would be.

AFAIK,there are four games in the Parodius series.

Parodius da!
Parodius:Forever with Me
Chatting Parodius
Sexy Parodius

Salamander Deluxe Pack should run you anywhere from $50-$70 for the more sought after PSX version,and anywhere from $30-$40 for the more common Saturn version.

BIG-

Segata_Sanshiro

Tesse's Maintainence Man
15 Year Member
I just hate dying and having to restart at a checkpoint...fukkin blows.

Yeah, I would agree here. Technically I should like it more since it forces me to perfect the part at which I died, but the break in the action isn't worth it - ruins the experience for me. That's why I liked Gradius 5 the most of the series - felt more like Salamander 3 than another Gradius.

Salamander deluxe pack would be a worthwhile purchase indeed, just for Salamander 2. Don't know the nitpicks between the Saturn or PSX versions, though.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
subcons said:
I can just feel the love in this thread. Seriously though, no hard feelings. It's a message board. I'm hardly effected by it.

From what I've read, it doesn't seem like it's worth me going back and playing the first in the series or its sequel. Does that seem a fair assumption from what I've posted thus far?

Well, you -should- give the first few games a try, and be it just to see what the series originally was about.

I got in touch with the series in the mid-80s when I fell in love with the first Gradius on C=64 (had been renamed to Nemesis). It forever changed the horizontal shmups genre and offered so many new things, extra weapons, a fast pace, high difficulty, lots of different enemies, etc. Compared to older stuff like Scramble that came before (also by Konami), Gradius/Nemesis was like a quantum leap in shmups, just like SF2 was to fighting games. Most of the standards of today's hori shooters root in these games (these and the R-Type-series of course).

It wasn't until the early 90s when other dev'ers finally stopped c&p*ing Gradius/Nemesis and Salamander and created something more unique, that should give you an idea how influental these games were. Konami kicked off a boom, and you can still hear its echoes in games like Gradius Gaiden, IMO the best of the series and a must-have, it's like a showcase of everything the Gradius series is about, also the custom powerup bar system is a great addition and helps a lot to survive in the game.

Perhaps this is my gripe with V, it tries very hard but I have troubles spotting the "Konami magic", if you know what I mean...

If you want to know more about the series and its games, check out Gradius Home World, it's one of the most comprehensive sites about the series I know.

This year marks the 20th anniversary of the series (the original Gradius came out in 1985) - I want my friggin' super-all-in-one compilation disc please, do you hear me, Konami?! :D

subcons

Segata_Sanshiro said:
Salamander deluxe pack would be a worthwhile purchase indeed, just for Salamander 2. Don't know the nitpicks between the Saturn or PSX versions, though.

Exactly what I was going to ask when I read BIG's post above yours. Anyone know? I have a Saturn, so if they're on equal level as far as ports go, I'll just go for the Saturn version. But I'll spring for the extra cost if the PSX version warrants it.

And oh yeah, apparently I got beat to the Gradius pack over on the shmup boards. :( Thought it was mine too. Anyone want to sell me one (import release if possible)? ;)

subcons

Takumaji said:
Well, you -should- give the first few games a try, and be it just to see what the series originally was about.

Well, I have touched on the earlier ones before in the past, but I never really gave them much of a chance. I just became bored or frustrated with them before the third level. Now though, it may be different.

If you want to know more about the series and its games, check out Gradius Home World, it's one of the most comprehensive sites about the series I know.

Thanks.

Oh, and thanks for the Parodius list BIG.