MVS HELL

dan211uk

n00b
Hello all. i have just got a second hand mvs cab with a one slot (it's the big one slot)
it was working fine till i tried to get free credit's by switching number 7 on the dip switch now all the game's will run through demo flawlessly but when i press 1or2
player it reboot's back to the neo geo screen i have put all the dip switch's to off
now when i put money in the slot i get the Jingle for then coins but no credit's register

if someone would help me out with this i would be very very grateful

Last edited:

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Sounds like the SoftDIPs could be set up for more than one coin per credit. Go into Test Mode and then the SoftDIP settings and then 'cabinet setup' to see how many coins are neeed per credit.

Games certinally shouldent reset with the freeplay HardDIP on though. You may want to check the HardDIP screen in test mode to confirm HardDIPs concure with the way they are set on the actual switches.

Raz

dan211uk

n00b
Thank's Raz i have gone in to setting up the cabinet and this is what i have
coin 1 1 coin =1credit
coin 2 1coin=credit
game select only when credited
game start compulsion 30 sec
demo sound set up in each game

still no joy

Last edited:

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
won't change? strange, change the game start compulsion to 0 seconds too.

dan211uk

n00b
hi. (J0e Musashi) first off let me thank you for replying
the game start compulsion will not change all i can change on this scren is
coin 1 1 coin =1credit
coin 2 1coin=credit

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
dan211uk said:
change to free/anytime ( it will not change over)

It won't change because it's a 1 slot and there is no need to have game select enabled at all. The softdip setting is changes when you can switch games on a multislot. When set to free/anytime you can press the select buttons to change games anytime, set to when credited and you can only switch games after you insert a coin.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I just wonder if you somehow damaged the jamma wiring or something. If you look at the input test from test mode are any of the inputs stuck on? like the select buttons for example.

Also I think you should be able to change all the settings in the cabinate settings even though the 1 slot dosent support all of them. From what your saying I think you might have faulty backupRAM on the system as thats where these settings are saved. Try this; Power off the unit, turn ALL hardDIPs on and power on the system, this will force a full ram and backup ram test. You should see a message saying RAM TEST or something. To stop the test simply turn all the HardDIPs off again.

If you do get a backupRAM error, thats it the system wont boot again to the game, youll simply get this error each time. You could try a universebios though which your allow you to play in AES mode where the backupram is not needed. If not you will have to get replacement RAM

Raz

dan211uk

n00b
hi raz i have just put all the dip's on and i have
back up ram error
address write read
00d00000 5555 0055

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
That explains all your problems. Question now is, whats actually wrong, from the looks of it either an entire RAM chip has died or a broken trace on the PCB is stopping a RAM chip getting power. Your going to have to give the MVS a good look over to see if you can spot the problem.

Raz

Last edited:

dan211uk

n00b
what do i look for and how would i know wich ram chip is dead
i have a very good electronics shop near who would take a look

ps would it be ok to hook up a 4 slot to my cab as i have just got one on e-bay[thank's dan

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Your best bet would be to search this forum for others who have had backup RAM errors (there are many posts from people with these faults).

It seems strange that the RAM should die just by swapping the freeplay harddip initially so maybe its a simply shorting problem cause by dust or something, try giving the pcb a clean with compressed air or something if its really dusty.

Raz

dan211uk

n00b
it was an old pub machine. it's very very dusty inside i will give it a clean and let you know how i get on

i just tried booting up and i still have the ram errors